Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People like to say that the Bible is 'inerrant', but who wrote the Bible, think about it. It was written by 'imperfect' men, yes they were inspired, but it was there finger that put it down and not God. As I point out, only the Ten Commandments can be called 'inerrant' as that was written by God with His own finger. The words in the Bible were sufficient for doctrine as the Holy Spirit can guide you into all truth, but the words were not 'perfect' if we seek that because it was in the language of man whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words. The reason is that mans words were 'imperfect' in describing the fullness and completeness of God and His interaction with us, but it was just the means to communicate His purpose from the beginning. The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.

John 16:13-14
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People like to say that the Bible is 'inerrant', but who wrote the Bible, think about it. It was written by 'imperfect' men, yes they were inspired, but it was there finger that put it down and not God. As I point out, only the Ten Commandments can be called 'inerrant' as that was written by God with His own finger. The words in the Bible were sufficient for doctrine as the Holy Spirit can guide you into all truth, but the words were not 'perfect' if we seek that because it was in the language of man whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words. The reason is that mans words were 'imperfect' in describing the fullness and completeness of God and His interaction with us, but it was just the means to communicate His purpose from the beginning. The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
And was not God able to select each writer according to and including all of the faults, misunderstandings, limitations and biases of that individual in mind so that what was written would equal precisely what God wanted to be written?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah they differ, but I don't know of any English Bible that doesn't give a very clear message from God. FEAR GOD!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And was not God able to select each writer according to and including all of the faults, misunderstandings, limitations and biases of that individual in mind so that what was written would equal precisely what God wanted to be written?

Men who did the writing through the spirit of God. Another thing is this world denies the supernatural.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another thing is this world denies the supernatural.
I agree. But we as born again followers of the Messiah have been accused of denying the supernatural.

Like believing, saying and practising the denial and rejection of hearing the voice of God communicating to us today as He did in the past.

Be it by means of dreams, visions, audibly from heaven, through animals or angels to name a few.

Yes, I'd include in that list, books like the bible.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah they differ, but I don't know of any English Bible that doesn't give a very clear message from God. FEAR GOD!
I think if I were ever to refer anyone to a bible it would not be an English bible then. For I'd be wanting to point them to one that gives a very clear message from God. LOVE GOD! BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED YOU!!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
was not God able to select each writer according to and including all of the faults, misunderstandings, limitations and biases of that individual in mind so that what was written would equal precisely what God wanted to be written?
And equally, is not God able to select writers over the past 2000 years including all of the faults, misunderstandings, limitations and biases of that individual in mind so that what is written would equal precisely what God wanted to be written?

Reactions: amadeus

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.
The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy and completion of insufficiency, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ Who continues to speak new things that have never entered His mind or ever been spoken by Him previously.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?​

I get your point, and it is true that imperfection has been a part of communications between God and mankind, for "My strength is made perfect in weakness." Which is not to say there is error in the scriptures, but rather a fitting perfection appropriately applied by God--thus, actually, yes, perfect.

In other words, what could and does get considered imperfection in the scriptures--not to exclude direct words in Spirit of which there are ultimately more, but the method should be clear, "A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." So, yes, men wrote the words of scripture out of their own hearts, but evens so they were God-directed...and therefore, perfect according to His purpose.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And equally, is not God able to select writers over the past 2000 years including all of the faults, misunderstandings, limitations and biases of that individual in mind so that what is written would equal precisely what God wanted to be written?
Yes, God is able, but what man is able to always and completely understand that which God had written? Only by God was it written and only by God may it be understood. The multitude of denominations, often using the same translations, sometimes have apparently completely opposite doctrines. Where may the truth be found?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?​

I get your point, and it is true that imperfection has been a part of communications between God and mankind, for "My strength is made perfect in weakness." Which is not to say there is error in the scriptures, but rather a fitting perfection appropriately applied by God--thus, actually, yes, perfect.

In other words, what could and does get considered imperfection in the scriptures--not to exclude direct words in Spirit of which there are ultimately more, but the method should be clear, "A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." So, yes, men wrote the words of scripture out of their own hearts, but evens so they were God-directed...and therefore, perfect according to His purpose.
Amen!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
clever men are doing all they can to pull us out of the bible . STAY GLUED IN It my friend . men do as men do
so as to DECIEVE those who sit under them , rather than to Trust in the TRUTH of what was long ago written for our sakes .
The sheep wont heed them .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
clever men are doing all they can to pull us out of the bible . STAY GLUED IN It my friend . men do as men do
so as to DECIEVE those who sit under them , rather than to Trust in the TRUTH of what was long ago written for our sakes .
The sheep wont heed them .
Amen, my friend! Our God is Alive and keeping those who love Him.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Only by God was it written and only by God may it be understood.
Yes, agreed. It is all of God. God has some people sow. God has some water. God Himself to cause the seeds to grow. God has some to reap. God has His angels rejoice. God gets the glory. In all this God carries out God's script and God experiences pleasure.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Waht is your understanding of inerrant?

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
clever men are doing all they can to pull us out of the bible .
My experience, which I was very grateful to God to have involved becoming unglued, unstuck from the bible. I had developed a closer deeper more intimate relationship with the bible than with God Himself.

Once I saw this and my eyes were opened, I broke off that codependent relationship.

I now have a flourishing relationship with God. I know He is a jealous God of love, with such a strong love for me and all that is His.

He doesn't want us to love anything or anyone else but Him first. No other gods before Him or to be a substitute for Him. The first 2 of His 10 hand written commandments.

So the Bible had to go and without a 'go between' I learnt how to be in His presence without the aid of anything or anyone, and dare I say it, without the bible.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
STAY GLUED IN It my friend
My experience, which I was very grateful to God to have involved becoming unglued, unstuck from the bible. I had developed a closer deeper more intimate relationship with the bible than with God Himself.

Once I saw this and my eyes were opened, I broke off that codependent relationship

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if I were ever to refer anyone to a bible it would not be an English bible then. For I'd be wanting to point them to one that gives a very clear message from God. LOVE GOD! BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED YOU!!
Our English Bibles are not reliable? I guess no English speaking people can be saved then until they are Greek and Hebrew experts?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Our English Bibles are not reliable? I guess no English speaking people can be saved then until they are Greek and Hebrew experts?

Yes, but they can be corrected. That would certainly help people who read the corrected translations understand much better.

Sadly, the sellers of the Bibles know that they cannot make corrections too quickly because the purchasers would complain that the newer corrected translations would be too far from what the purchaser already knows about his bible.

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner