Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What I am in agreement with and quoted is:

Jer 37:
Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

If you are, then I would agree.

Aside from Jeremiah’s instruction…

I would also say people routinely discuss Scripture using their own words, no issue with me, as their words keep in context of an evenness TO Gods Word.

God Bless you.

Glory to God,
Taken
I agree that scripture is profitable for certain purposes but not essential.
Walking is profitable. Eating rice is profitable. But they are not essential for a healthy life. I don't require scripture to live a godly life.

My relationship with my Creators has been greatly benefited by not making use of scripture. My diet has changed and the Spirit of Christ is so much more a part of my everyday life as a result.

Has applying scripture to my daily life benefited me over the years? Yes it had. But even moreso has the personal intimate relationship with the Spirit of God without the scripture, that is, since I repented of my relationship with what is called the bible which had become an idol for me.

• Love
Reactions: O'Darby

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Walking is profitable. Eating rice is profitable. But they are not essential for a healthy life. I don't require scripture to live a godly life.

My relationship with my Creators has been greatly benefited by not making use of scripture. My diet has changed and the Spirit of Christ is so much more a part of my everyday life as a result.

Has applying scripture to my daily life benefited me over the years? Yes it had. But even moreso has the personal intimate relationship with the Spirit of God without the scripture, that is, since I repented of my relationship with what is called the bible which had become an idol for me.

Thank for sharing, thou I must say that is the most bizarre testimony I have ever heard.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: 12question

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is the problem, if the 'spirit' you are following does not agree with Gods Word, then it is clearly not of God and you must come away from it.
1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is the problem, if the 'spirit' you are following does not agree with Gods Word, then it is clearly not of God and you must come away from it.
What do you mean by the term, Gods word? Unless I know what I'm agreeing to what I say I'm agreeing to probably isn't valid.

Maybe in your circles people have a certain understanding of this term. Others probably have a very different interpretation.

Can you please give your interpretation and understanding of the term, Gods word.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words.

That's quite a presumption you have there.
Questiom: who in the world would make a language that is so inefficient that you can't even convey what you want to say?
Answer: No one in the world. God is the one who created those languages at Babel.

Did God make a mistake? Did God tackle a project that was too hard for Him? Is God incapable of getting a decent copy of His words into your hands across the ages?

My initial thought is no, no and yes. Would not God have the foreknowledge to see the imperfect bible in your hand and be able to do something about it so that you too can receive His message? That answer would have to be a resounding yes.

So how can we be sure to get the right message without error? Easy because God gave us a Decoder ring at the bottom of the box! His name is Holy Spirit. He is our Guide and Teacher. He will lead us into some truth! Oh, waitaminute, my mistake. It says "All Truth" and I looked up "all" in the Greek, and it means, All. So I dont think you can tell us that the scriptures that we have today is unreliable.

God had to write the scriptures in code so that only Holy Spirit can decode it for us completely and that our enemy can not discover God's plans before he wants them too.

I think that is what you are missing here. Holy Spirit. If you apply yourself to seeking the Lord through His word with your whole heart, you will get understanding and Holy Spirit will give you the rest of it.

So when you read His word, read it from your spirit and not carnally or it will seem a jumbled mess to you. Ask Holy Spirit for His guidance. Worship in Spirit and in Truth. I submit that even if the scriptures have errors stemming from transliteration...God can still build you up beside Him in His Kingdom! If you do the best you can with what you have to work with...

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean by the term, Gods word? Unless I know what I'm agreeing to what I say I'm agreeing to probably isn't valid.

Maybe in your circles people have a certain understanding of this term. Others probably have a very different interpretation.

Can you please give your interpretation and understanding of the term, Gods word.

That's a valid question. To me, God's word is the Holy Bible which includes both the Logos and the Rhemas.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didnt think that would be an issue..

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a valid question. To me, God's word is the Holy Bible which includes both the Logos and the Rhemas.
So the words in the bibles contain God's expressed and revealed thoughts to and through certain humans?

Are you saying that the bibles contain all that the Creators want to reveal to Their creation?

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank for sharing, thou I must say that is the most bizarre testimony I have ever heard.
Thanks Taken, why is this so bizarre?

Hasn't many people experienced this? Others I interact with have had similar experiences with their Creators. Haven't you? Many people hold the party line and won't come out and share about their unhealthy relationship with the bible, but once I share my story, they too open up and share how they have been led by the Spirit of Christ to challenge this relationship, their relationship with the bible.

It's great to hear how people have moved with the Spirit to, through and beyond the bible and found increased truth from Him. Some like the safety of the shore. Others like to explore the ocean. Is it wrong to remain within the covers of the bibles? For me it was. Is it wrong to go outside what is written in the bible. For me it was wrong. If I didn't get out of the boat and walk to Him Who I love and Who loves me I was being disobedient and risked missing out on some amazing revelations.

Was it bizarre for someone to step out of a boat to walk on water? To most it was but not to Jesus. For those who will follow Him wherever He leads will experience odd, unusual things. That's pretty much guaranteed. I invite people to learn to trust Jesus as He leads them by His Spirit who lives within them. It's a great life and I'm so glad I let go of the boat, the bible, and go with His flow, the flow of the Spirit Who blows wherever He wills.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the words in the bibles contain God's expressed and revealed thoughts to and through certain humans?

Are you saying that the bibles contain all that the Creators want to reveal to Their creation?

Not at all. I do agree with your first sentance but not your 2nd one. I'd say, all that the Creator wants to reveal to us at this time.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not exactly sure what you are referring to here. What issue?
If they are doing like Benny Hinn or Word of Faith preachers who say 'you are a god' or worse, I dont think that comes from Gods Word, its more from deception..

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well said and not at all bizarre. You are saying essentially what I have said on several threads. I didn't have to "repent" of Bibliolatry because I was never there. I have certainly not abandoned the Bible, but it is not the central focus of my Christian life. Apparently like you, I find greater depth in prayer and communion and maintaining a constant attitude of gratitude. I'm not looking for messages from God, which is not at all what communion is about. There is no danger of my prayer and communion leading me astray - I just simply don't need to read the Bible for umpteenth time as though "this is what a Christian must do." You might enjoy visiting @St. SteVen's threads on Bibliolatry and Christian Maturity.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the Bible is not word perfect.

To some degree or another, while words play a major part in the reading of the Bible, with various types of use of language. Some are interpreted by the author based on their beliefs at the time. Such as the King James Bible for example, there are three types of translations.

There are three main types of Bible translations: word-for-word, thought-for-thought and paraphrase.

The Bible is not word perfect and it’s why a dictionary can be useful concerning, Hebrew and Greek.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might enjoy visiting @St. SteVen's threads on Bibliolatry and Christian Maturity.
Thanks. Forum topic links below:

Growing in Spiritual Maturity - Being, not doing

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think? (topic link below)

Growing in Spiritual Maturity - Being, not doing

All the stuff we do to be Christians. The expectations... (sigh)

I thought salvation was a free gift, until I learned that it will cost me everything. (sigh)
This isn't what I signed up for. (Grr...)

- Did you have your quiet time devotions this morning? (shame)
- Did you study your Bible today? (shame)
- Did you witness to someone about Jesus today? (shame)
- Did you make it to church on Sunday morning? (shame)
- How is your scripture memory program? (shame)
- Did you sign up for that project at church? (shame)
- How much time did you spend in prayer today? (shame)
- Are you going on the mission trip this year? (shame)
And on and on it goes...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these things.
But is this what spiritual maturity is about?

Seems more like a hamster wheel of activity. Going nowhere...
Jesus said to rest in him. That his yoke is easy, his burden is light.
That doesn't seem to level with the list the church gave you.

Maybe the Christian life is more about being than doing?
After all, you are a human being, not a human doing.

Ask yourself...

What does it mean to BE a Christian? (or Christ follower, if you prefer)

Maybe you need a day off from DOING, and a day on of BEING.

/