Are the written Scriptures the only word of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you see yourself in the light of Scripture?
It's an ugly mess when we think we have arrived, just to see ourselves again in the light of scriptures, revealing another ugly side of our hidden man.
If you are on a war path, here am I.
J.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say!

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible calls the written Word of God "Holy Scriptures" as well as "the Word of God". It is also described as a "living Word", "the Sword of the Spirit", "clean Water", "the incorruptible seed of the New Birth", and "the power of God unto salvation". Thus Christ used the authority of Scripture to defeat Satan and to refute His enemies. He repeatedly said "IT IS WRITTEN", meaning that it is our final authority in matters of faith and practice. Jesus also said that "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Mt 4:4)

All of this means the the written Word of God is more than words on paper. The Bible tells us that those who received prophecies in old times were "moved" by the Holy Spirit. Which is another way of saying that Scripture is divinely inspired, and the canon of Scripture consists strictly of those 66 books which were divinely inspired (literally "God-breathed or theopneustos).

Therefore Paul has written this in 2 Timothy 3:15-17:
And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for [1] doctrine, for [2] reproof, for [3] correction, for [4] instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly [thoroughly] furnished unto all good works.

Because the Bible is the Sword of the Spirit, Satan hates the written Word of God. He started off with "Yea, hath God said...?" to cast doubt on what God had said.
Therefore he has made sure that those who are susceptible to his devices will corrupt the Word of God. All modern bible versions since 1881 are based upon corrupted manuscripts, primarily corrupted by the Gnostics. But the Reformation bibles are based upon the traditional and uncorrupted Hebrew and Greek texts. That is because God not only inspired His Word but He also preserved it through the work of faithful copyists until the invention of printing. There are thousands of Hebrew and Greek manuscripts which agree with it each. And f
or over 300 years the King James Bible was literally regarded as "the Word of God" in English, and no conservative commentator ever questioned that.
Do you not find it interesting--even telling, that the written word ended about the same time the Holy Spirit was sent fulfilling that promise of God of pouring out His spirit upon all flesh, as it is written: a new covenant not according to the old...but one written on our hearts?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Do you not find it interesting--even telling, that the written word ended about the same time the Holy Spirit was sent fulfilling that promise of God of pouring out His spirit upon all flesh, as it is written: a new covenant not according to the old...but one written on our hearts?
So, the New Covenant is written in our hearts, no need for daily studying the Scriptures?!
Oh, the Holy Spirit will bring to remembrance...
Another one, divorcing the scriptures from the Christ. Hmm..

Act 17:11 These people were more receptive than those in Thessalonica. They were very willing to receive the message, and every day they carefully examined the Scriptures to see if those things were so.
Act 17:12 Many of them believed, including a large number of prominent Greek women and men.

3) "In that they received the word with all readiness of mind," (oitines edeksanto ton logon meta pasea prothunias) "Who received the word with all eagerness," open minds and ears, with an wholesome attitude, an open mind, Heb_11:6; Rom_10:17; Joh_5:39.
4) "And searched the scriptures daily," (to kath’ hemeran analrinontes tas graphs) "And they were daily examining the scriptures," a matter admonished of the Lord, for the Jews, Joh_5:39; Isa_34:16; Luk_24:44-46.
5) "Whether those things were so." (ei echoi tauta houtos) "Whether these things (asserted or taught by Paul and Silas) were so," true or in harmony with the scriptures, the law, prophets, and Psalms, Isa_8:20; Luk_16:29; Luk_16:31. They were honest inquirers, searchers, for truth, not just curious, Jer_29:13.

Rom_16:22 I Tertius, who wrote this epistle, salute you in the Lord.

1Co_5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

1Co_16:24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen. The first epistle to the Corinthians was written from Philippi by Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus and Timotheus.

2Co_3:2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

2Co_3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

2Co_7:8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.

2Co_13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. The second epistle to the Corinthians was written from Philippi, a city of Macedonia, by Titus and Lucas.

Col_4:16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

1Th_5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.
1Th_5:28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. The first epistle to the Thessalonians was written from Athens.

2Th_2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2Th_3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

2Th_3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

2Th_3:18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. The second epistle to the Thessalonians was written from Athens.

2Ti_4:22 The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen. The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.

2Pe_3:1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

2Ti 3:15 From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures that are able to give you the wisdom you need for salvation through faith in the Messiah [Or Christ] Jesus.
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed [Or inspired by God] and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 so that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good action.

Rev_1:3 How blessed is the one who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy and obey what is written in it, for the time is near!

J.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There really is no need for the ad hominems and I’m sure everyone here strives to be Holy and none of us have arrived yet that will only happen in the resurrection when the corruptible will put on incorruptible and the mortal immortality. Until then we all have work to do in remaining faithful and finishing this race .

Reactions: Cassandra

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There really is no need for the ad hominems and I’m sure everyone here strives to be Holy and none of us have arrived yet that will only happen in the resurrection when the corruptible will put on incorruptible and the mortal immortality. Until then we all have work to do in remaining faithful and finishing this race .
Amen to that Christophany, we all need to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, our eyes firmly fixed upon Christ, not our opponents...

Proverbs 21:23 ESV
Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Matthew 12:36-37 ESV
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Proverbs 18:21 ESV
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

James 1:26 ESV
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Ephesians 4:29 ESV
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Proverbs 12:18 ESV
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

James 3:8 ESV
But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

Psalm 141:3 ESV
Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

Proverbs 17:28 ESV
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

John 8:44 ESV
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

...my wife was a God-fearing woman, a true Proverbs woman and I have no time for idle chit-chatters.
Shalom
J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have posted often on what happens on the inside once a man/woman gets born from above, @stunnedbygrace is really overstepping her boundaries, showing no respect and keeps on playing me with other members.
I guess this is what the amazons in this day and age can do, it's there God given "right" to play men with men on an open forum while they sit there smiling, reminds me so much of the nachash with the woman in the garden....

Gen 3:1 Now the Nachash was more arum (cunning, crafty, wiley) than any beast of the sadeh which Hashem Elohim had made. And he said unto the isha, Really? Hath Elohim said, Ye shall not eat of kol etz hagan? ...since then we have problems.

1Ti 2:13 For Adam was formed rishonah (first), then Chavah.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the isha, having been deceived, has come to be in averah (transgression).
1Ti 2:15 But womankind will be saved through her childbearing if nashim remain in emunah and ahavah and kedushah with tznius [2:9].
OJB
J.
Wow! So if Stunned disagrees, you can discount her, and expand your thought process to the entire female world. Using "you're a woman " argument as a response is just lame.
Don't puff yourself up too much. Jesus died for Stunned too--she is as much valued in the heavenly courts as you are
"In Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.1 Cor 15:22--remember that the next time you want to dog on a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.