Are We Better Off Than Other Generations?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I made a comment in the "geneologies" thread I want to discuss. Let me give you some scripture, then I will tell you my opening statement.

1 Cor 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. [11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shill I know even as also I am known. (KJV)

Folks, I think we are better off than those of Paul's day. I think we have more tools to learn and understand at speeds unfathomable to Paul and those of his era. I do not think we are more intelligent, or more spiritual, or greater than Paul.... Probably much less! But we have blessings that put us far above Paul in many ways. Paul only had one thing that is of course, world's beyond our blessings I'm about to speak of... He had a direct line to God in that the Holy Spirit and even Jesus himself was telling him what to say. Some folks (very few) have that today. But what do we have?

1. The Completed Bible.

The common arguement is that the Apostles didn't have the Bible and they seemed to do ok. So therefore, we don't need it! Oh really? I don't think anyone would argue that Paul, Peter, James and Jude weren't students of what they had. Neither any of the other apostles and students like Barnabus, Stephen, Luke, etc...

Paul and the rest spoke powerfully. They had a task that they probably didn't know they were involved in. They were completing God's Word. Perhaps only John knew. He probably understood when he wrote in Rev 22:19 what he did.

My question to you is, what if Paul had access to what John wrote in Revelations? He didn't. He was murdered before John wrote it.

2. Technology

We today have something greater than people in 1980 had. Let me illustrate this point by asking you to find the answer to a question: Who is Rhoda?

For the record, you can find the answer in Acts 12. I am more interested in how long it took you to find the answer and how you found it. Of course, if you already knew who she was, it doesn't count.... But in 1980, I imagine you'd have to go to a hard copy book. Either the Bible itself of a Bible encyclopedia or dictionary.

Today, if you took my challenge, you probably found the answer in under a minute using your Bible software or did a google search.

People on this board have brought up wonderous questions. The thread "Is the book of Daniel wrong" is an example... I would have never even considered that question, nor could I have found the theories or the information I did so quickly without the internet and computers. I would have had to go to a library, and spend hours digging. Let me put it to you this way: That if that thread wouldn't been asked in the 1800's, progress probably would've been made in decades rather than weeks like it is today.

Now, I understand some folks will say "Technology is bringing us farther than God. It's evil!" I agree. I do lots of evil things with it! (Thank God for Grace). Yet... I can indeed find a Bible answer to many Bible questions within 5 minutes. Can you? Yes, you can. How long did it take you to figure out who Rhoda was?

I can imagine some of you regulars will have a negative reaction... Especially those of the "Love is more important" and "We are led by the spirit" crowd.... I fully understand that. And I agree. The advantages we have also are disadvantages if not used properly. I will say that again and even put it in bold print: The advantages we have also are disadvantages if not used properly.

Comments?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Honestly, just knowing the bible in our heads doesn't do much, and sadly the Bible is often used to indoctrinate people with doctrines of men.

Again, don't get me wrong, the Bible is a great tool, but not when we try and discern it. IT discerns us.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of billions of Christians, over the span of history and specifically the past 2,000 years; I have to agree that the world, itself is better off today.

Are we less likely to fall into the same patterns of sin as our forefathers of the faith, nope.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
For Christians, the only true freedom is in Christ, where one is free to serve God without being under the power of sin and death. I fear many christians today, in this generation, have stopped short of entering this freedom (his rest), and been fooled into thinking that freedom is to be able to do whatever the sin nature dictates, and still be His.

I fear this generation is far worse off and far more fallen than we would think. We're in the great apostasy, my friends!

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
I agree Prentis.

People are financially better off, technology advances have made our life one of convenience, yet, spiritually the world has entered our church buildings, to the point where Christians are no different than everyone else, we are not better off. Many Christians have crossed the line from Holy to worldly or were never on the side of Holiness to begin with.

The problem with being better off intellectually and financially is that it doesn't matter when we fail spiritually.

Reactions: Prentis

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Yes! :) Like Laodicea, our outer circumstances make us think that somehow we are rich, even spiritually. But we are actually blind, wretched, naked and poor.

Unless we separate ourselves from the perversion of the world, to which the church has closely attached itself, we will not see spiritually.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
For Christians, the only true freedom is in Christ, where one is free to serve God without being under the power of sin and death. I fear many christians today, in this generation, have stopped short of entering this freedom (his rest), and been fooled into thinking that freedom is to be able to do whatever the sin nature dictates, and still be His.

I fear this generation is far worse off and far more fallen than we would think. We're in the great apostasy, my friends!

Well said ...and a big Amen...