Are you catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obviously lived a sheltered life
I lived in a good Christian home with good Christian parents. If you call that sheltered, so be it.

You still haven't explained how your story as a 9 year old relates to the subject of this thread: "Are you Catholic?"

I don't get the connection?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My goodness Marymog...
Get beyond that last sentence in the OP.
It's a euphamism for saying that he probably would have had a nice argument with the church if he were older and believed as he believes now.

I don't believe any posters here go around punching people.
Hi GG,

Thank you. That makes sense when you put it that way.

Mary

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Catholic but not a Roman Catholic or a Protestant.
Did Jesus ask for money, I think he gave on another subject entirely and asked for something much more. that's the key ! as for money Jesus pointed that out who's face was on that coin, was only due to that dude.
The Church does not need money, the Holy Spirit is the only thing it needs.
True Christians give due to the Grace that's within them for others Spiritual Wealth first and foremost and that's what the path to Salvation is about, money never helped anyone spiritually.
I'm sure you could speak a lot more on this.
Up until now, everyone is looking at me as though I'm still that 9 year old boy.
No one has asked me how I am today.
They don't see the judgment of that.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Up until now, everyone is looking at me as though I'm still that 9 year old boy.
I may just say that with my friends and people I know through my life who's mum and dad were somewhat like, I do not know where they were at or coming from and the same with some school teachers were loopy and this messed up some of my mates for sure, the world can be like a rollercoaster ride or like a box of chocolates.

But where are you at today, what do you see as a problem now, with the world or what ever.
I see that the church is truly messed up with many it's like believing in the tooth fairy stuff and many people are not saying what is truly what, because their is so many deceptions around and most don't bother to stop and look into anything in depth or have lost the ability to think for themselves and indoctrination is just everywhere, same could be said for the 1960's and 70's but it's got worse.
No wonder people are so lost.

I see you are in your 60's and I talk with people with any issues at times, I don't mind, but I have one mate for 45 years that will not open up truly, because he thinks he is to tough or embarrassed to talk openly in depth about what has turned his whole life upside down, drugs and all.
He has come close at times crying and all about the problem but I can't help if I don't know the full story, I think he was brainwashed by a eldest sisters truly evil boyfriend who was best mates with a satanic teacher who must of messed him up.
It does not help my old mate is what's called nowadays as a type of obsessive compulsive, we did not know of such a thing years ago, we just thought he was taking things to extreme trying to be showing off.

I find that one of the biggest hurdles is not to let go, it's like a hot potato and people just will not let go of it, I have people still angered about what some dude did back in the 1960's school days to them and it's still eating them up and another mate who is still carrying on about the RC Schooling days.
Hell my dad told me story's of his RC up bringing as well that he hated and some of the nasty people, It angered him so that it affected his relationship with Christ, but he knew it was only mainly them people that he had the issue with but he never let go of the pain it caused him.

Letting go can be the hardest thing to do but it's well rewarding and true forgiveness truly strengthens you as a real man.

Reactions: Taken and GodsGrace

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always wondered about things.
When I was young, the catholic church gave me an envelope with numbers on it that identified me.
I didn't know that at 9 years old.
So when my mother gave me a dime to put in the envelope, I use to take the dime out and give an empty envelope.
How would they know I figured.
Then I would go spend the dime on penny candy and be happy.
We were poor and I rarely got money for penny candy.
Well one day the church called my house and told my mother I was giving empty envelopes.
Boy, did I get in trouble.
I was shocked that I had my own number.
I was offended.
Who were they to number me?
I guess I was always independent, growing up in the city projects and surviving on a daily basis.
Well, after getting blasted by my parents, I decided "well, they never go to church, so who are they to tell me what to do with my dime".
And I deduced that since the catholic church was jam packed for 3 services every Sunday morning, that they didn't need my dime.
I needed it more than them.
Now when you think about it, giving a dime to the catholic when I did, I gave rebelliously.
But when I kept it and spent it on penny candy, I was happy and thank you.
And people tried to tell me I was sinning.
But I kept doing it.
Until my mother no longer gave me a dime.
I forget what happened after that.
I still had to go to church but I forget about the envelopes.
I doubt I gave in to my mother, I was far too rebellious.

But I guess my problem is, who are these church people that they felt they had a right to number a 9 year old boy and keep- track on my giving?
Why if I was a few years older I probably would have punched them out.

see, how you felt about it really didn't count, what counted is your mother entrusted you to take that dime to the church, it really wasn't your dime. you betrayed your mother's trust, and did with the dime as you pleased.

has nothing to do with religion the church or even your poverty or the number on the envelope, it has everything to do with what you were entrusted with. are you telling use if you were rich then you could be trusted with some one else's dime?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Poor Rollo

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Empty envelops results in being forbidden to attend Catholic schools?
Envelopes had no pre-glue sealants?
Giving the story the benefit of the doubt, was the OP ever reprimanded for stealing? Is stealing envelop money permissible in Protestant churches? If it is not, why blame the Catholic Church for what occurs everywhere else? Is it the fault of the Church because some selfish brat steals envelop money?
The OP is just another anti-Catholic can of worms.

In the 40's and 50's, there were no government subsidies for Catholic schools. They operated on private money, especially people's dimes. And then there was building overhead.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Empty envelops results in being forbidden to attend Catholic schools?
Envelopes had no pre-glue sealants?
Giving the story the benefit of the doubt, was the OP ever reprimanded for stealing? Is stealing envelop money permissible in Protestant churches? If it is not, why blame the Catholic Church for what occurs everywhere else? Is it the fault of the Church because some selfish brat steals envelop money?
The OP is just another anti-Catholic can of worms.

In the 40's and 50's, there were no government subsidies for Catholic schools. They operated on private money, especially people's dimes. And then there was building overhead.
I was a mistreated abused youth.
And you call me a brat.
That avatar of yours fits you perfectly.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
see, how you felt about it really didn't count, what counted is your mother entrusted you to take that dime to the church, it really wasn't your dime. you betrayed your mother's trust, and did with the dime as you pleased.

has nothing to do with religion the church or even your poverty or the number on the envelope, it has everything to do with what you were entrusted with. are you telling use if you were rich then you could be trusted with some one else's dime?
LOL
You've never been poor!
Poor people are desperate, If one has money, he tends to steal less.
I'm speaking about non-believers here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So was I.

I didn't abandon Peter because of Judas.
Wlow. Both you and @aspen need to show some Christian love toward your brother.
We're all different and shouldn't be comparing our personal experience with that of another.
He's being honest. I'm sure God has forgiven him.
What about us?

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lived in a good Christian home with good Christian parents. If you call that sheltered, so be it.

You still haven't explained how your story as a 9 year old relates to the subject of this thread: "Are you Catholic?"

I don't get the connection?

Curious Mary
My question in the OP was at the bottom of my post.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I Catholic? No more.
Yesterday I attended a Mem Service at the Cath church I can walk to.
I liked the priest very much.
But nothing that he said rang true..full of concepts and presumptions...about judgments and hell and sin..oh brother.
More about church beliefs impressed onto the crowd than about Lisa!
But he was a nice man with sincere beliefs...he meant well.

I thought, Oh my, I would not be able to come back to a church that drilled into your head that 'God will greet you face to face upon your death and ask if you believed' in Him .."the first judgment"... again, fear fear fear...the 'believe in Me or die' concept that God needs to be believed in or ELSE!
Not for me...not the Father I know personally.

Added: Well i saw the Subject...i had time to read more posts now...seems it is more about envelopes and money, etc...but, I might as well leave what I wrote..sorry.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Am I Catholic? No more.
But nothing that he said rang true..full of concepts and presumptions...about judgments and hell and sin..oh brother.

I thought, Oh my, I would not be able to come back to a church that drilled into your head that 'God will greet you face to face upon your death and ask if you believed' in Him .."the first judgment"... again, fear fear fear...the 'believe in Me or die' concept that God needs to be believed in or ELSE!
1. The priest most probably did not know Lisa.
2. At least now they're talking about having to believe in Jesus. When I was growing up in the Catholic Church it was all about attending Mass and going to confession. Lots of emphasis on sin and not grace. The salvation message was never preached. They're trying now...

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I met a priest once who became filled with the Holy Spirit.
I'm often wondering if he's still in the RC Church.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes.
I met him about 20 years ago.
Catholic friends of mine asked me to come with them to meet him.
He was visiting their RC Church.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I Catholic? No more.

Added: Well i saw the Subject...i had time to read more posts now...seems it is more about envelopes and money, etc...but, I might as well leave what I wrote..sorry.

I tend to think that lazy clergy in most Christian denominations fall back on fear to motivate......

It is too bad because it is the opposite of faith