Are you here to convert people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A few days ago a member of the forum asserted that I’m here to convert people. The assertion is false but it has caused me to wonder if there are members - Christian and / or non-Christian - who post on Christianity Board with the intention of converting other members - or persons who are readers but not members of Christianity Board - to whatever their religious affiliation might be.

So, are you here to convert people?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have in mind converting non-Christians to Christians, or something more general?

Over the years, I've played on several Christian forums, and I have noticed that a number of people come with a particular theological axe to grind. It might be Calvinism, or Universalism, or anti-Catholicism, or any number of pro- and anti- "isms". I would put those in the category of "trying to convert people" to their particular viewpoint.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Did you have in mind converting non-Christians to Christians, or something more general?

More general, but not ruling out anything.

Over the years, I've played on several Christian forums, and I have noticed that a number of people come with a particular theological axe to grind. It might be Calvinism, or Universalism, or anti-Catholicism, or any number of pro- and anti- "isms". I would put those in the category of "trying to convert people" to their particular viewpoint.

I’ve observed that too.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few days ago a member of the forum asserted that I’m here to convert people. The assertion is false but it has caused me to wonder if there are members - Christian and / or non-Christian - who post on Christianity Board with the intention of converting other members - or persons who are readers but not members of Christianity Board - to whatever their religious affiliation might be.

The Holy Spirit converts the soul, lifts the veil of blindness. We can't do that, we can only plant seeds, spread the gospel message, directing the lost to Christ for salvation. And the gospel can be simply stated: Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day according to the scriptures. If you believe in that and put your faith in Him, you will be saved.

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit converts the soul, lifts the veil of blindness. We can't do that, we can only plant seeds, spread the gospel message, directing the lost to Christ for salvation. And the gospel can be simply stated: Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day according to the scriptures. If you believe in that and put your faith in Him, you will be saved.

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

This is an important point.

My question to anyone who steps forward and says they are here to convert people: How’s that working out for you?

Internet discussion forums are notoriously toxic environments. I’ve been active on several since the mid-90’s. In all that time, I’ve seen very few conversions take place.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Are you here to convert people?​

It would be wonderful if folk had the same vacuum cleaner, the same model car and of course a love of tom yum but alas, I have to face the reality of talking donkeys who don't care for vacuum cleaners or any of those other important things.....sigh! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Matthias

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Internet discussion forums are notoriously toxic environments. I’ve been active on several since the mid-90’s. In all that time, I’ve seen very few conversions take place.
I haven't been doing this as long as you have ("only" 20 years), but I occasionally have seen people change their point of view as a result of these discussions. It's rare. I don't know if that counts as "conversions".

And over those 20 years, I've changed too. More evolutionary than revolutionary, but ... something is at work.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I haven't been doing this as long as you have ("only" 20 years), but I occasionally have seen people change their point of view as a result of these discussions. It's rare. I don't know if that counts as "conversions".

Let’s include that scenario in our discussion. Changing our minds about anything = a conversion.

There are atheists on the Board. Agnostics, Jews, Muslims, Christians of various types and doubtless other faiths too. Are any of them here with the intention of converting others to whatever it is that they believe is true?

And over those 20 years, I've changed too. More evolutionary than revolutionary, but ... something is at work.

I’ve also changed my mind, occasionally, in response to something I’ve read on internet discussion forums; just as I have when reading books. Sometimes it is in regard to theology, but it can also be regard to any other matter being discussed (finances, parenting, work, technology, etc.)

Most of what I read on internet discussion forums concerning theology - as opposed to what I read in books concerning theology - causes me to close my mind.

Why is that?

I attribute it to the toxic nature inherent in online discussion forums - where people frequently throw off all restraint and show us who they really are behind the anonymity of the screen.

So, to those who are here with the intention of converting people to whatever: your attitude is, or may be, causing people to close their minds.

Rate of successfully converting a closed mind? 0%.

Internet discussion forums -> sowing your seed on hard ground. (My Christian readers will, I trust, see this as an intentional allusion to the parable of the sower.)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Are you here to convert people?​

It would be wonderful if folk had the same vacuum cleaner, the same model car and of course a love of tom yum but alas, I have to face the reality of talking donkeys who don't care for vacuum cleaners or any of those other important things.....sigh! :)

Talking donkeys. Internet discussion forums are magnets for them.

Reactions: Lambano

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You don’t believe what I believe -> You don’t have a love of the truth.

Someone said that to me here not long ago. Did it open my mind or close it?

(I haven’t bothered to read anything else the fool posted. I hope, for that person’s sake, that he wasn’t trying to convert me.)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
yeah, I gotta reign myself in!

Everyone has good days and bad days. All of us can do better.

Proverbs 19:11

We’re ahead of the curve when we recognize and acknowledge it in ourselves.

I make it a habit to periodically revisit some of my posts. I’m usually satisfied, sometimes disappointed and occasionally down right irritated by the way I’ve written to others.

Reactions: quietthinker

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

(I haven’t bothered to read anything else the fool posted. I hope, for that person’s sake, that he wasn’t trying to convert me.)

Who‘s the loser in the way that real life scenario played out? Was it him? Was it me?

It was both of us.

He lost his audience and I lost the opportunity to hear, reconsider and potentially change my mind.

And then, of course, there are the others: persons indirectly involved as interested readers. They also lost an opportunity to hear, reconsider and potentially change their minds.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not not remotely here to convert people. Now if so one comes away from a conversation with me as a better person, that’s fantastic! Totally regardless of there religious affiliation- an atheist coming away a better person (and still atheist) is great.

I have encountered some people on here & other internet venues that converting people is there express goal.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has good days and bad days. All of us can do better.

Proverbs 19:11

We’re ahead of the curve when we recognize and acknowledge it in ourselves.

I make it a habit to periodically revisit some of my posts. I’m usually satisfied, sometimes disappointed and occasionally down right irritated by the way I’ve written to others.
Silence may certainly be golden. Consider:

Pr 17:27He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
Pr 17:28Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I see that it makes my stomach turn.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Silence may certainly be golden. Consider:

Pr 17:27He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
Pr 17:28Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

This reminds me of the old saying:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Another one I think is funny is:

"People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who actually do." :Laughingoutloud:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few days ago a member of the forum asserted that I’m here to convert people. The assertion is false
I've gotten the same impression about you many times since I first arrived here.

You don't think there's any truth to that accusation at all?

Reactions: Matthias

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of the old saying:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
This one may well be an offshoot of the one I quoted from Solomon. It also may bring us a smile or a laugh... but when it comes to laughing at people, unless we are laughing at ourselves, should we leave it to God?

Ps 2:4He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Another one I think is funny is:

"People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who actually do." :Laughingoutloud:
LOL! Help us dear Lord!

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm here because I get bored really. People are converted to Christianity by the Holy Ghost actually. We can speak and the Holy Ghost testifies that what we said was true though.