Are you predestined or did you make a choice?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we make choices. On the other hand, does the Lord have the ability to bring us all around?

A scripture that comes to mind is this, Bob.

Romans 2:4; Paul made this statement and to me Gods goodness and hearing about it, leads people to seeking the good news which is found in the victory of Christ.

God allowing people to choose? Absolutely, God brining people around? While in this life? Not always if a person has a hard heart and reject the notions of God which can be seen in creation itself. Does God have a place set up for unbelievers and those who reject? I believe so, in the heavenly realm, though not part of being in the Kingdom of Heaven by their own merited choice.

As all us know we must choose who we will serve, be it serving God and building up our spiritual foundation in Christ… or NOT. The other serving is serving ourselves instead and fulfilling our greed and lust not abiding in Christ which leads us to be lead by the spirit.

Thank you for sharing your comment Bob.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A scripture that comes to mind is this, Bob.

Romans 2:4; Paul made this statement and to me Gods goodness and hearing about it, leads people to seeking the good news which is found in the victory of Christ.

God allowing people to choose? Absolutely, God brining people around? While in this life? Not always if a person has a hard heart and reject the notions of God which can be seen in creation itself. Does God have a place set up for unbelievers and those who reject? I believe so, in the heavenly realm, though not part of being in the Kingdom of Heaven by their own merited choice.

As all us know we must choose who we will serve, be it serving God and building up our spiritual foundation in Christ… or NOT. The other serving is serving ourselves instead and fulfilling our greed and lust not abiding in Christ which leads us to be lead by the spirit.

Thank you for sharing your comment Bob.
The Lord's discipline can be very severe. It has turned me around on more than one occasion.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is really not taught in the Bible. Quite the opposite.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Cor 5:17)
Your quote of me you need to read in context. That pertains to an unsaved person. I agree with your 2 Cor 5:17 quote. In fact, that was the point of my post. Read the sentence previous to the one you quoted.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did God choose you over all else to be saved?

Or did you simply make a choice?

If you suggest God did it, you had no effort in doing anything, and God plucked you out of 8billion people and sometimes the rest of the saying goes everyone else is predestined to hell. (I totally disagree with this stance - but if you agree with it I will still love you.)

If you made a choice- I would agree with you… because Adam and Eve were not forced to do anything, they were given the ability to procreate and Adam to tend the garden…

Satan made a choice to no longer really have anything to do with God and he was arbiter of death.

I’m no one special, just a man, fallible just as much as the next man or woman… be honest in evaluation and evaluating yourself, and if you do have faith, have your faith before your God.

To love God first and to love others.

I think we choose but i have always been confused about predestiny and the scripture that supports it

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you suggest God did it, you had no effort in doing anything, and God plucked you out of 8billion people and sometimes the rest of the saying goes everyone else is predestined to hell. (I totally disagree with this stance - but if you agree with it I will still love you.)

If you made a choice- I would agree with you… because Adam and Eve were not forced to do anything, they were given the ability to procreate and Adam to tend the garden…

Satan made a choice to no longer really have anything to do with God and he was arbiter of death.

I’m no one special, just a man, fallible just as much as the next man or woman… be honest in evaluation and evaluating yourself, and if you do have faith, have your faith before your God.

Yes. It's just a matter of perspective, but all the "works" of salvation (believing, conviction of sin, convincing of truth, and even repentance) are the works of God the Holy Spirit.

Did you claw your way out of the womb or were you expelled in birth? People don't ask to be born to a world of trouble, pain, sorrow and death (unless you know something I don't.)
Being born again isn't a choice either, but what we do with new life is. People can only do as their nature allows, and our nature is determined by birth.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. It's just a matter of perspective, but all the "works" of salvation (believing, conviction of sin, convincing of truth, and even repentance) are the works of God the Holy Spirit.

Did you claw your way out of the womb or were you expelled in birth? People don't ask to be born to a world of trouble, pain, sorrow and death (unless you know something I don't.)
Being born again isn't a choice either, but what we do with new life is. People can only do as their nature allows, and our nature is determined by birth.

Okay.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are predestined and God gave us the ability and desire to make the choice to be saved.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are predestined
Predestined as in it's predestined that your 'soil' is soil that will respond favorably to it being planted, and watered, and fed because that's just the potential that soil has. Or do you mean predestined as in it's predetermined that God purposely makes soil that will respond favorably to the grace of God and soil that will not?

Reactions: ChristisGod

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Predestined as in it's predestined that your 'soil' is soil that will respond favorably to it being planted, and watered, and fed because that's just the potential that soil has. Or do you mean predestined as in it's predetermined that God purposely makes soil that will respond favorably to the grace of God and soil that will not?

Well God said there are 4 types of soil. He never said on type can become another type.

He also said we are the elect from the foundation of the world.
He also said we are predestined (pro-horizp marked out in advance)
He said we were chosen
He said we were vessel made fit for glory

So it is pretty obvious God chooses some and no tothers.

Just think of trhe tens of billions since Pentecost who have lived and died and never heard of Jesus once- they are lost and had no chance.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bingo !

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well God said there are 4 types of soil. He never said on type can become another type.

He also said we are the elect from the foundation of the world.
He also said we are predestined (pro-horizp marked out in advance)
He said we were chosen

Just think of trhe tens of billions since Pentecost who have lived and died and never heard of Jesus once- they are lost and had no chance.
Only in Calvinism . The majority of Christendom rejects Calvinism .

hope this helps !!!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Virtually every born again person was type one soil in the beginning. They heard the word and it went away as fast as it came. Everybody starts out there. I've only heard of a few exceptions of people hearing the gospel for the very first time and being saved at that first hearing of the gospel.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said we were chosen
Even Arminians believe that.
Being chosen means you were purposely destined by God to be chosen to salvation.
Being chosen can also mean if/when a person has faith they are chosen by God for salvation based on them having received the gospel.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every believer is conformed to the image of Jesus.
Calvinists think that means you were purposely destined by God to be a believer and be conformed to the image of Jesus.
Arminians think that means that if/when you believe you are destined to be conformed to the image of Jesus.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of election is not what is in dispute. What it actually means is what is in dispute.
Calvinists say you are chosen because God predetermined that you will be a believer.
Arminists say you are chosen by God because you became a believer.