Are you sending your neighbors to Hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I don’t. See Psalm 110:1.

Is that why you avoid quoting the Christian Bible?

I don’t avoid quoting the Bible.

Define "trinitarian", can you?

Yes. I was raised trinitarian and taught trinitarianism as an adjunct college professor.

You made a colossal error when you expressed your opinion about Genesis 1. Two persons isn’t three persons.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t. See Psalm 110:1.
Quote it.
I don’t avoid quoting the Bible.
Prove it.
Yes. I was raised trinitarian and taught trinitarianism as an adjunct college professor.
You should have stayed home and read your Bible.
You made a colossal error when you expressed your opinion about Genesis 1.
Then why don't you correct me??? Your beliefs are opinions of others that you like.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Quote it.

Is it necessary for me to quote it for you? Does the Bible you use not contain it?

Prove it.

Anyone who cares to search my posts, even posts in this very thread within the past 14 hours, will see that I’m vindicated and you’re exposed. Why would you do that to yourself?

You should have stayed home and read your Bible.

See above.

Then why don't you correct me???

I used scripture and the assistance of trinitarians to correct you.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it necessary for me to quote it for you? Does the Bible you use not contain it?
It's easy. Try it.
Anyone who cares to search my posts, even posts in this very thread within the past 13 hours, will see that I’m vindicated and you’re exposed. Why would you do that to yourself?
And they will see how you avoid Bible like plague.
See above.
What do you think I quote all the time? That's why you reject my comments. I quote Bible!
I used scripture and the assistance of trinitarians to correct you.
You use OPINIONS! Not Scripture!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's easy. Try it.

It is easy, and I have -> in this thread and in many others. You stand refuted by that indisputable fact.

And they will see how you avoid Bible like plague.

They will see that you are a false accuser.

What do you think I quote all the time?

Mostly in this conversation you’ve quoted and misrepresented me.

That's why you reject my comments. I quote Bible!

When I reject your comments it’s primarily for the same reason that the trinitarians I’ve alluded to do.

You use OPINIONS! Not Scripture!

I commonly use trinitarian commentary in my conversations with those who self-identify as trinitarian. The trinitarian commentaries use scripture - the very same scripture which you and I use.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is easy, and I have -> in this thread and in many others. You stand refuted by that indisputable fact.
No Scriptures? Of course not.
They will see that you are a false accuser.
All you have are opinions! Jesus is God and Hell Fire is EVERLASTING! That's not opinion, that's Bible.
Mostly in this conversation you’ve quoted and misrepresented me.
Well, since you avoid Scripture like plague ....
When I reject your comments it’s primarily for the same reason that the trinitarians I’ve alluded to do.
IOW you have ZERO Scripture, just your opinions.
I commonly use trinitarian commentary in my conversations with those who self-identify as trinitarian. The trinitarian commentaries use scripture - the very same scripture which you and I use.
So quote some Scripture for a change.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I do know that hell is eternal.
Since you don't, do you think you need to share the gospel with your neighbors?

Mark 9:44-45,
- 2Thessalonians 1:9,
- In flaming fire taking vengeance on those who know not God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ
- These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

The destruction is everlasting; the destruction process isn’t.

Once a person has been destroyed in the lake of fire, they cease to exist.

Destruction in the lake of fire is an extermination event. It is the second death from which there is no recovery.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Are you sending your neighbors to hell (Gk. gehenna) -> a place of extermination.

No.

Only the man whom the living God appointed to the task (Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, the Son of the living God) has the capability, authority and responsibility to do that.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The dullard cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this: though the wicked spout like grass and all evildoers flourish, they are doomed to destruction forever …”

(Psalm 92:6-7, NRSV)

They aren’t doomed to forever being burned with fire and eaten by worms. They are doomed to destruction. The effect of destruction is forever. The fire consumes; the worm devours. Once they are destroyed it is over. They will never live again.

Contrast this with the death which everyone is appointed once to experience. The only way back to life for the dead is resurrection. Just as the Messiah was resurrected back to life from the realm of the dead (Heb. sheol; Gk. hades) so too will all who die the first death be resurrected back to life - some to be rewarded with receiving the life of the age to come, which is unending; some only briefly, to be judged and cast alive into the lake of fire where they will be destroyed.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“See, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble; the day that comes shall burn them up, says the LORD of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the LORD of hosts.”

(Malachi 4:1-3, NRSV)

The imagery of destruction here is ashes -> the effect of a person being burned up, consumed by fire, taken out of existence.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone
I'm new to the Forum and will appreciate your guidance:
Is the "Christian Apologetics" subforum open to non-Christians as well?
Hello Pancho,
You may read and reply in the Christian forums but you will not be able to make a "thread" unless in the un-orthadox section.
Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: Pancho Frijoles

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers, for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb.”

(Psalm 37:1-2, NRSV)

”For the wicked will be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land.”

(Psalm 37:9)

”Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look deligently for their place, they will not be there.”

(Psalm 37:10)

”But the wicked perish, and the enemies of the LORD are like the glory of the pastures; they vanish - like smoke they vanish away.”

(Psalm 37:20)

”for those blessed by the LORD shall inherit the land, but those cursed by him shall be cut off.”

(Psalm 37:22)

”Wait for the LORD, and keep to his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on the destruction of the wicked.”

(Psalm 37:34)

”But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed; the posterity of the wicked shall be cut off.”

(Psalm 37:38)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Therefore, as the tongue of fire devours the stubble; and as dry grass sinks down in the flame, so their root will become rotten, and their blossom go up like dust; for they have rejected the instruction of the LORD of hosts, and they have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.”

(Isaiah 5:24, NRSV)

Universal salvation is out of the question. So, too, the existence forever of the wicked.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire.”

(Matthew 3:12, NRSV)

What happens to chaff that is burned up? It is consumed by the fire, it goes up in smoke, it is reduced to ashes, it ceases to exist.

John the Baptist is using this vivid imagery to convey the future of the wicked.

What is unquenchable fire?

Unquenchable fire is fire that is not extinguished by someone. It is left to complete its destruction of the chaff.

Does the fire that burns the chaff burn forever, thus never in fact destroying the chaff?

No. Once there is no more fuel left for it to consume the fire goes out on its own.

I live in the country, on a moderately wooded plot of land. There are far more trees on my property than there would typically be for someone who is a city dweller. Every Spring I work in the yard, collecting and burning fallen tree branches. I burned a pile of branches a few days ago. While standing by with water to extinguish the fire in case it should happen to begin getting out of control, I watched the fire reduce the branches to smoke and ashes. The fire burned out on its own once there was nothing left to burn.

“The fire was quenchable!” you might object.

It was. I could have quenched it easily, if I had to. There was no one present to prevent me from doing so. If I had been suddenly called away, I would have put the fire out before leaving. I would have returned later to rekindle the fire and complete the task.

Well what then about the fire that the wicked will one day be cast into? Unlike the fire that burned the branches I collected, it is unquenchable.

Why unquenchable? Because no one will be allowed to put it out. The decision will have been made and it is final -> no one will be able to interrupt the consuming flame. There will be no reprieve. The death sentence will be carried out. The fire will complete its work. The wicked will be utterly destroyed.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Fire isn’t a living creature; worms are. Both were present in the refuse disposal area of Jerusalem in Jesus’ day.

Worms are quite capable of consuming decaying flesh, hence the idiom about the dead being “worm food”.

The fire doesn’t die until it completes its work; neither do worms. This is biblical imagery.

Immortal worms? Fiction.

God alone is immortal (1 Timothy 6:16). Immortality is a gift not given to the wicked, nor to worms.

Pancho Frijoles

May 22, 2024
Mexico City
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Mexico
Unbelievers have no excuse to at least acknowledge God.
Hi, Rockerduck!

To me, it is good that you place as minimal requirement for avoiding hell one single thing: acknowledging God.
Sounds straightforward, profound and sincere.

Others put forward their own list of criteria, based on very specific theological beliefs or views about Christ.

Now, what do you mean by "acknowledge God"?

Reactions: marks

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Rockerduck!

To me, it is good that you place as minimal requirement for avoiding hell one single thing: acknowledging God.
Sounds straightforward, profound and sincere.

Others put forward their own list of criteria, based on very specific theological beliefs or views about Christ.

Now, what do you mean by "acknowledge God"?
Last year when I wrote that, it was about the Gospel reaching the world and it has. If you ask someone on the street today if they believe in God, and they said no. Then you can remind them of all the church's, crosses, Jesus saves signs, billboards, and radio ads, especially during Christmas season, etc., everywhere, and then they would have to "acknowledge" the witness of the bible, God, and Jesus on the Cross to them from all the openly displayed signs all over the world. Then they have no excuse on Judgement Day.