Art, Beauty and Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I grew up Catholic. Stain glassed windows and transcendent organ music. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.But I like the beauty of Catholic Churches. The feeling is unique. Sometimes incense is used, which adds to the experience.
How important is Art in your Christian faith?
I like the old hymns too. Played and sung well , they take me to another place. I never forget Jesu man desiring being played during Communion.
Isn't God the greatest artist of all? Surely he loves Art. I know he loves us, even me. Which
I'm struggling to fully grasp still.

Reactions: marks and Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I grew up Catholic. Stain glassed windows and transcendent organ music. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.But I like the beauty of Catholic Churches. The feeling is unique. Sometimes incense is used, which adds to the experience.
I like the old hymns too. Played and sung well , they take me to another place. I never forget Jesu man desiring being played during Communion.
Isn't God the greatest artist of all? Surely he loves Art. I know he loves us, even me. Which
It's designed to captivate the senses which for the most part people allow themselves to be guided, however, it is no substitute for God's Word.

Reactions: DNB and TLHKAJ

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, gave His followers no commandments against Art, so what exactly do you say you are struggling with? Are you, in your mind, trying to make rules hindering yourself where they are no rules give you?

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, gave His followers no commandments against Art, so what exactly do you say you are struggling with? Are you, in your mind, trying to make rules hindering yourself where they are no rules give you?
Catholicism seems to celebrate Christian art more than non Catholic Christianity. It's a reason I would choose Catholicism over other options.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's designed to captivate the senses which for the most part people allow themselves to be guided, however, it is no substitute for God's Word.
Not sure I agree. Though of course I do respect the Word.
I don't see anything wrong with our senses being captivated. It helps us focus on the Lord.

Reactions: marks and Lambano

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am an artists and I also love the stained glass in churches. Some Catholic Churches are amazingly beautiful.

I like to paint wildlife but I have a lot of ideas in my head for a set of paintings inspired by the Bible. I just can’t seem to find the time to start them.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The stained glass can be beautiful, but there is a lot of catholic "art" that is downright evil.
260px-Poland_-_Czermna_-_Chapel_of_Skulls_-_interior_02.jpg

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

These are just some examples. And there are a multitude of these, as well as nudity in catholic art. So I'm not a fan of catholic art...

Reactions: DNB

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The stained glass can be beautiful, but there is a lot of catholic "art" that is downright evil.
260px-Poland_-_Czermna_-_Chapel_of_Skulls_-_interior_02.jpg

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

These are just some examples. And there are a multitude of these, as well as nudity in catholic art. So I'm not a fan of catholic art...
We see what we want to see perhaps.

Reactions: marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Catholicism was at one time in history, the predominant, if not, the absolute Church on earth. This dominance was virtually uncontested right up to the first part of the 16th century (as well as Eastern Orthodox). That is, the supremacy of Catholicism reigned during the time of the renaissance where art, the sciences, education and exploration advanced to an awe inspiring degree. Thus, the influences of Michelangelo, Raphael, Da Vinci, Donatello, Rembrandt, etc.. remain in the vestiges of Catholic architecture, music, sculptures and paintings. Even the greatest musical composers all wrote religious works for worship services, choirs and orchestras.
Therefore, I won't consider such aesthetic beauty as a Catholic, or even Eastern (equally ornate), principle, as there were no other competing denominations in order to explore any diversity of such worship practices.
Sad part is, the Church had the money to invest in such lavish and opulent artwork by these eminent artists. To the point that, such expenditures and extravagance seem to define Catholicism over its adherence to Biblical truth. Which is why, there was a revolt after the reformation with many of the splinter denominations, that lead to an attempt to subdue such distractions during worship, and reserve such wealth for the needy.

One cannot deny the magnificent beauty by such masters, but many consider the opulence of the Catholic Church to be an indictment of their corruption and avarice, ...I categorically do.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Catholicism was at one time in history, the predominant, if not, the absolute Church on earth. This dominance was virtually uncontested right up to the first part of the 16th century (as well as Eastern Orthodox). That is, the supremacy of Catholicism reigned during the time of the renaissance where art, the sciences, education and exploration advanced to an awe inspiring degree. Thus, the influences of Michelangelo, Raphael, Da Vinci, Donatello, Rembrandt, etc.. remain in the vestiges of Catholic architecture, music, sculptures and paintings. Even the greatest musical composers all wrote religious works for worship services, choirs and orchestras.
Therefore, I won't consider such aesthetic beauty as a Catholic, or even Eastern (equally ornate), principle, as there were no other competing denominations in order to explore any diversity of such worship practices.
Sad part is, the Church had the money to invest in such lavish and opulent artwork by these eminent artists. To the point that, such expenditures and extravagance seem to define Catholicism over its adherence to Biblical truth. Which is why, there was a revolt after the reformation with many of the splinter denominations, that lead to an attempt to subdue such distractions during worship, and reserve such wealth for the needy.

One cannot deny the magnificent beauty by such masters, but many consider the opulence of the Catholic Church to be an indictment of their corruption and avarice, ...I categorically do.
Is there such a thing as Protestant Art?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is there such a thing as Protestant Art?
I believe that there is such a thing as anti-Catholic art, by the Protestants - architecture, artwork, and Church configuration and design, that was diametrically opposed to the emphasis and stylings of Catholic articles and environment of worship. Which merely is plain, inexpensive and meant to draw focus to the service and liturgy, not the building, furniture or decorations.

Reactions: saintiaint

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate Christian art. I love the old churches. I also like modern Christian art.
Here’s a picture of Archangel Michael.

5F9FF49D-441A-474B-A9D9-502CA964647E.jpeg

Reactions: Lambano

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholic churches seem to have a lot of craftsmanship everywhere.

All I remember from my church was that "hang in there kitty" poster down where we had potlucks.

I think we Christians should create beautiful art that honors God. Otherwise, we abandon the art world to a culture that would celebrate meaninglessness, hopelessness, selfishness, and death.
I really wonder if I did something again how much different it would be now compared to "not very saved" days.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Catholic churches seem to have a lot of craftsmanship everywhere.

All I remember from my church was that "hang in there kitty" poster down where we had potlucks.

I really wonder if I did something again how much different it would be now compared to "not very saved" days.
It's a good thing this struggle is over in our short life span.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In the spirit of wanting to encourage Christian artists and musicians, give it go and let's find out. :)

And plus, I used to have feelings. I wrote music and poetry. I am scared of those now and I have no desire to do either.

Music can shine a light in dark places. Don't be afraid.

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we Christians should create beautiful art that honors God. Otherwise, we abandon the art world to a culture that would celebrate meaninglessness, hopelessness, selfishness, and death.

Well said!
I think a lot of people who do artwork in the churches are inspired and gifted. I love seeing all the imagery.
I imagine how lucky the people were back in Jerusalem 2000 years ago when they saw and heard Jesus in-person.