Art, Beauty and Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said!
I think a lot of people who do artwork in the churches are inspired and gifted. I love seeing all the imagery.
I imagine how lucky the people were back in Jerusalem 2000 years ago when they saw and heard Jesus in-person.
My sister took the opposite view. She studiously avoided any theatrical or other representation of Jesus, because she wanted her mental conception of Jesus to be formed exclusively from the Bible and her relationship with Him.

For myself, I'm more auditory, and it's the music which enraptures me. My sister's Baptist church was filled with much polished wood, and candles and plants, and some hangings, but not too must artistic. I really enjoyed being there. My church, before it ended, was plain, a converted commercial building. It's adornment was love, and it was such a beautiful place to be!

Much love!

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The stained glass can be beautiful, but there is a lot of catholic "art" that is downright evil.
260px-Poland_-_Czermna_-_Chapel_of_Skulls_-_interior_02.jpg

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

proxy-image

These are just some examples. And there are a multitude of these, as well as nudity in catholic art. So I'm not a fan of catholic art...
Thats some creepy stuff there. That pope gargoyle takes the cake lol.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Given that the Pope is in the bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles posture, I suspect the artist was sending a political message to somebody. Wasn't it Hieronymus Bosch who was known to put his enemies in his paintings in unflattering positions?

The local garden center has gargoyles for sale. I was going to get one to warn off the squirrels from getting into the bird-feeder. My wife took one look at this hideous thing and gave me a two-word answer ending in "no!"

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Mantis

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have we also put Jesus in the stained glass as a fixture?....very pretty but we can't pry him out. He stays there; that way we can control him.

Reactions: Mantis

Peruantaran

Dec 15, 2022
Avon,United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that every work of art comes from God. It doesn't matter whether the artist considers himself a believer, but inspiration can't be of earthly origin. Inspiration is a real invisible miracle that allows us to see or hear a masterpiece. I believe that God is not only in icons, He is in every picture that has ever been created in the world. Although, I'm still hesitant about how I should evaluate the art of people from other cultures. I recently found a site with the work of a Persian artist, and I was captivated by his technique. But he is far from Christianity, and I don't know if I have the right to say that I see in his paintings messages that my God sends me through the work of a representative of another faith.

Last edited:

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once had the good fortune of invitation to a stringed quartet performance in a church over three hundred years old. As the unsuspecting foursome let loose thy wrath, crushingly alternating between a Bach composition & and a Beatle’s tune, the light poured through the rainbows, and nothing was, as it were.

Isn't God the greatest artist of all?
In deed.