Article: The Quiet Stability Revolution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a little background on the author necessary to understand the story. He is a Catholic ("Conservative") and has lived in New York and DC. He's making the move back home after a death in his family made him realize how his family missed out on home.

Link: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/2011/10/18/the-quiet-stability-revolution/

Yes it's taken from a conservative publication, but this guy is not the traditional conservative associated with Tea Party's, etc.

He's basically talking about Benedict and how, with at least one argument, monks and monastaries preserved civilization by building hospitals, etc. and attending the needs of the people.

He's drawing conclusions to the modern day.

I can see the relationship. I'm a Protestant but I think if you look at church history, God orchestrates his movements within a wide variety of things and the Christian Church (universal, Jesus's church) was absolutely preserved to at least some degree within the Catholic church (and still is, because being labeled a Catholic does not make you a "bad" Christian anymore than being a Protestant of X denomination makes you a "bad" Christian).

Fast forward to now and you're seeing so-called mega churches build community centers, non-profit style stuff, etc. You could easily argue "smaller" churches have done this for hundreds of years through providing meals for families of the deceased, etc.

As a Christian, all I can say is what an opportunity for Jesus to be proclaimed! Imagine a church where through it, Jesus is the backstop of all of the misery! (Which he certainly is, but a lot of people don't know that and understand that!)

I wish I had more time to expand on this, but time to get back to work!\

Lemme know your thoughts. Agree? Disagree? Got an idea?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It's an interesting idea.

But I think as Christians we are called to a deeper revolution than that. My impression is that alot of this revolution has to do with making things better in the now, which is not a bad thing, but I think it's still not the kingdom.

Just my thoughts on the subject.