Ask a catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Ive discovered that no matter how many times I explain the catholic religon the majority never listen and go on with thier innacurate beliefs about this church.Maybe if you were interested.So here we go!!! ask any question about the catholic faith you want to ask. . I want to keep debating down to a mininum, you can have follow up questions but don't don't let it get to a point where it takes up the whole forum. If it becomes a debate I'll just stop anwering.so fire awayyour brother in christRyan Fitz

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Do you obey the Pope? The law states that the Pope has the ability to lay down laws that govern over scripture.And do you confess your sins to a priest? Why should you if a priest has no ability what so ever to forgive you.

sevver

Dec 31, 2006
Catholicism... Ah, there is a flame war in the future here. I can't imagine how no one is ever willing to listen, no body is ever willing to look into anything on their own. The problem is the religion, they have convinced them that their way is the truth, and have never encouraged them to find their own answers. There is a teeny tiny seed of truth buried way down in there. That teeny tiny seed, is our core. lol

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Hey WakkaI'm going to simplify these, If you want a detailed answer ask me and I'll make a seperate thread.1. Do we Obey the PopeCatholics believe that the pope is the leader of Gods church, and he is the one who christ speaks through, which is why Catholics call him the Vicar of christ*. The only time when the pope has complete authority is when he is making a dogma, and he can only make a dogma when he is addresing the whole church and sitting on or standing by St. Peters Chair. It is then and only then that Jesus is speaking through him to the entire church. So for example when the pope says the "catholic church must believe that jesus is God" following the circumstances above, it is a dogma and we are expected to follow it. But if the pope is speaking a homily and says " I believe Muslims can be saved" it is not a rule of the church and we do not have to follow it.* We do not call the pope the vicar of christ because we believe he is another christ, this is complete fabrication.This ones in bold because it is a huge misunderstanding2. Why do catholics ask a priest for forgivnessWe don't. When the priest absolves us of our sins it is not the priest absolving us, but God absolving our sins through the priest. Therefore in confession we are not asking the priest for forgivness but God for forgivness through the priest. A human being cannot forgive another human being of thier sin. Only god can through himYour brother in christ Ryan FitzPS. I do not know yet if I agree about pope having absolute authority when making a dogma, So this is not my belief as of yet. Hopefully God can make it plain later on.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Hm, Well why tell the priest,If God forgives us of our sins,what would be the point of doing it through a priest,But still your priest is a human,Unable to forgive us,So what I am trying to say here is...Why ask the priest for he can not forgive your sins,only God can,and I know you are saying God does this through the pope,But why would he need to, why would you need to go to a pope so God can speak through him,when you yourself could go and talk to God,you don't need a priest,I was raised catholic and turned christian,and I am still young so I never got into the in depth discussion!,I am not trying to debate your responses it is simply a question!
smile.gif

sevver

Dec 31, 2006
What is missing from Catholicism is Grace. They feel that it is by acts, tithing, confession, and living by the Ten Commandments that they are saved. They fail to teach that we are able to, through Christ, pray for forgiveness of Sins. There are ritualistic prayers in Catholicism, you have to say Hail Mary and Our Father a certain number of times in order to be forgiven. Where is the grace? You should regularly pray the Rosary, I just don't see anything Biblical there. Even praying to saints and Mary for that matter is un-biblical. There is just so much that has been twisted, they have gone so far off of the mark. It really saddens me that this is alot of people's idea of Religion.

holdencaulfield

Feb 11, 2008
(Dukester;35564)
Hm, Well why tell the priest,If God forgives us of our sins,what would be the point of doing it through a priest,But still your priest is a human,Unable to forgive us,So what I am trying to say here is...Why ask the priest for he can not forgive your sins,only God can,and I know you are saying God does this through the pope,But why would he need to, why would you need to go to a pope so God can speak through him,when you yourself could go and talk to God,you don't need a priest,I was raised catholic and turned christian,and I am still young so I never got into the in depth discussion!,I am not trying to debate your responses it is simply a question!
smile.gif

I believe he just answered you question. Only God can forgive sins. Christ told us to forgive others sins. Since only God can forgive sins, how can we do this. Because it is really God who is forgiving the sins. Besides, don't you think it's nice to confess your sins to someone. By the way it is in the the Holy Scripture. This is why we do it.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
(Dukester;35564)
smile.gif

Hope no one minds if I step up. Why we do it - "John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained. "Am not sure how a minister being charged to do this could do it without first knowing what sins had been committed and whether or not the person is sorry they did it (repentent). The person would have to tell them, they would have to confess. Otherwise how could he know whether to "remit" or "retain" the sin?

holdencaulfield

Feb 11, 2008
Again, you fail to understand. Let me tackle this all at once.
What is missing from Catholicism is Grace. They feel that it is by acts, tithing, confession, and living by the Ten Commandments that they are saved.
No we don't, we believe that through faith and good works one is saved. One can not be saved without the other.
They fail to teach that we are able to, through Christ, pray for forgiveness of Sins. There are ritualistic prayers in Catholicism, you have to say Hail Mary and Our Father a certain number of times in order to be forgiven. Where is the grace?
We don't believe that. We believe that by spending time meditating on God, we are bringing ourselves closer to him, and thus making it more obvious we want forgiveness.
You should regularly pray the Rosary, I just don't see anything Biblical there. Even praying to saints and Mary for that matter is un-biblical. There is just so much that has been twisted, they have gone so far off of the mark. It really saddens me that this is alot of people's idea of Religion.
That's funny because it's in the Bible. Besides we don't pray to the saints, we ask them to pray for us.

holdencaulfield

Feb 11, 2008
(Dukester;35564)
smile.gif

Catholics and Orthodox Christians are the only true Christians. We are the only Churches who follow the teachings of Christ. God forgives us through men. Why do you have a problem with this. It is in the Bible.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
that is not true, peace brotherhttp://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm#838838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324 It is true that All Christians are Catholic. A "universal" Church cannot by definitions exclude Christians, otherwise it is not universal.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(holdencaulfield;35627)
Catholics and Orthodox Christians are the only true Christians. We are the only Churches who follow the teachings of Christ. God forgives us through men. Why do you have a problem with this. It is in the Bible.
holdencaulfield, I don't mean to be rude but If your going to anwer questions try not to insult your fellow brothers in christ.These people believe in christ, live in christ, work in christ, have the spirit of christ, learn in christ, and are saved in christ . Yet you say that they aren't true christians.We are here to anwer thier questions, not to insult them and there believes. and we are certainly not going to play the " my religon is better than yours game" as that is going to get us nowhere. Lets help people understand our believes and not elevate ours above theres. Thank You

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(sevver;35567)
What is missing from Catholicism is Grace. They feel that it is by acts, tithing, confession, and living by the Ten Commandments that they are saved. They fail to teach that we are able to, through Christ, pray for forgiveness of Sins. There are ritualistic prayers in Catholicism, you have to say Hail Mary and Our Father a certain number of times in order to be forgiven. Where is the grace? You should regularly pray the Rosary, I just don't see anything Biblical there. Even praying to saints and Mary for that matter is un-biblical. There is just so much that has been twisted, they have gone so far off of the mark. It really saddens me that this is alot of people's idea of Religion.
Hey Bubba thanks for helping out. I'll tackle sevverI think there are two important questions brought out in this paragraph.1. Do catholics belive we are saved by Works and not graceCertainly not, We catholics believe that we can't be saved with works, but we also can't be saved without them*. St. James says in James 2:26 that " faith without works is is dead." Which mean that works make faith alive. How can you believe in christ but not follow his teachings and not live your live in him and expect to be saved. You can't. I have a much more complete explanation of this here http://www.christianityboard.com/saved-fai...lone-t4983.html* unless of course you have a last second conversion at the moment of your death. 2. Why do we pray to Mary and the saint??? First off, we don't pray to the saints we ask the saints pray for us. Which makes the question Why do you pray to others?? Becuase Jesus himself said " when two or three pray in my name my spirit is among them."but then how do we know the saints can hear our prayers??, Simple, through the bible.1. All christians are members of Christs body and one another 5So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. ( roman 12:5)2. Jesus has only one body4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; ( Eph 4:4)15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.( col 3:15)3. death cannot seperate christians from one another35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ( rom 8: 35-39)4. Christians are bound in mutual love10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; ( Rom 12:10) 11Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. ( 1 Thess 5:11) 2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. ( gal 6:2)Your brother in christRyan Fitz

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
(holdencaulfield;35627)
This is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. May God have mercy on your souls.John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.Amazing how so many people call God a liar! Must be Satan's pets!

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(forgivenWretch;35643)
This is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. May God have mercy on your souls.John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.Amazing how so many people call God a liar! Must be Satan's pets!
I and the catholic church completley agree until the last sentencehauldenclaufenfield isn't satans pet he's just confused. Can we stop with the name calling and get back on the topic

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
That is the topic! Every catholic I have ever come across say the same thing. They believe that they are better than the rest of us, and even more scary they think that they know more than God.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(forgivenWretch;35648)
That is the topic! Every catholic I have ever come across say the same thing. They believe that they are better than the rest of us, and even more scary they think that they know more than God.
Are any other denominations any different. It seems that whenever we disagree with someone about a believe your belief is better than theres.The catholic church has been guilty of doing this, but you can say the same thing about every denomination. Lets live outside the judgement here.still open for questions

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Are any other denominations any different.
No sir they are not...if their beliefs are not of God or His word, then absolutely they shall be treated the same....Why is it, always, the same with catholics? Why do you (universal) let your hurt feelings get in your way? How is it any different for you (universal) refuting others than to have others refute you (universal)?Show me, from the BIBLE, where God ever said that catholics, are all knowing, and are the true church, and where if one is not catholic, they are not Christian. As far as anyone judging...I'm sorry but that seems to be your assumption. You asked for questions and were given questions. If you really think about it, you (universal) are asking to be judged. Questioning is a form of Judgment!

biblicalthought

Feb 6, 2008
Can you provide at least one verse where an Old Testament prophet, Jesus, or any of the apostles appealed to "tradition" as the basis for doctrine or authority?

Status
Not open for further replies.