being a christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
after all the times i asked God to save me...i dont know if i even am his. i dont know if i will go to heaven 100 percent like others do. i had a problem with self harm before and havent done that since may and i feel like my life has grown worse in ways i wont mention.....i really stopped reading and praying until a couple days ago.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
after all the times i asked God to save me...i dont know if i even am his. i dont know if i will go to heaven 100 percent like others do. i had a problem with self harm before and havent done that since may and i feel like my life has grown worse in ways i wont mention.....i really stopped reading and praying until a couple days ago.

Sister, sounds like you are under spiritual attack.

Trust me, if you keep calling out to Him to help you, He will hear and answer. The main thing for now is to try and keep turning to Him and praying, and not try to worry yourself to death.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

lilygrace, when I was sixteen, I started self injury and I continued that until I overcame it once and for all about 26 years old. It has been 7 years self injury free. I am proud of you that you havent cut since may. Keep it up. If you ever need help in learning how to cope without self harm, or just want someone to talk to, let me know.

As far as salvation goes, I would just bring it before the Lord. In God's great mercy He sent Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins. I don't believe with a sacrifice of this magnitude, it can just be lost. Just open up to Him, because He is there for you and loves you so deeply.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:35‭-‬39 NIV

Also this:

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28 NASB1995

No it is never too late. It is easy to drift. I had two kids and slowly realized I needed to get back into Bible study this new year. 10 to 15 minutes makes a huge difference in your spiritual walk. And praying is just talking to God. Just talk to Him. He hears you and deeply loves you. God bless you sister.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Believe me when you even begin to put Christ first, life can be difficult, thats where we just accept. It is done', now we leave it all in His hands because it sHis good pleasure to save all who ask. And every evening and every morinng just simply ask Jesus to be a part of your day and night. It is enough.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
dear lilygrace, you are loved more than you can imagine; you are known by name and are imprinted in the hands and feet of your lover. If you can come to him like you say you are it is because his Spirit is drawing you. We feel our need when he draws us but the enemy tries to convince us our case is hopeless and we are not good enough. Well let me reassure you, your case is not hopeless .....you are his precious Princess.

Reactions: Nancy

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lilygrace,
Coming to faith is the start of a journey. My son self harms and even though I don’t understand it all I understand the reasons behind it and until those things are healed it will be something he needs to do from time to time. He is not a Christian yet. It took me so many years to feel secure in Christ, ut I equally had many things from my past that impacted my sense of worth, value and confidence. One book that did help was ‘ Victory over the darkness ‘ by Neil Anderson, now it didn’t bring me instant inner healing as that was something The Lord did over a longer period of time. However in the book Neil lists verses from scripture that you can proclaim, speak out. Promises. Now when I started speaking those verse I didn’t believe a single one of them, not deep down. Remember that our minds need to change and then that change impacts our hearts.
It’s only an idea, but maybe the book will help you as well. I believe all the promises now and have complete peace with my past. ( but I am much older now and I would say it was a 40 year journey to get to that point xx )
Much love to you x
Rita

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Lilygrace,
Coming to faith is the start of a journey. My son self harms and even though I don’t understand it all I understand the reasons behind it and until those things are healed it will be something he needs to do from time to time. He is not a Christian yet. It took me so many years to feel secure in Christ, ut I equally had many things from my past that impacted my sense of worth, value and confidence. One book that did help was ‘ Victory over the darkness ‘ by Neil Anderson, now it didn’t bring me instant inner healing as that was something The Lord did over a longer period of time. However in the book Neil lists verses from scripture that you can proclaim, speak out. Promises. Now when I started speaking those verse I didn’t believe a single one of them, not deep down. Remember that our minds need to change and then that change impacts our hearts.
It’s only an idea, but maybe the book will help you as well. I believe all the promises now and have complete peace with my past. ( but I am much older now and I would say it was a 40 year journey to get to that point xx )
Much love to you x
Rita

I think as a teen (young adult), I personally had to get to the point where I could say, "oops I did it again," and not give the enrmy any credit for it.

That said, one cut or whatever can be fatal done the right way. I have found these things help:

For the physical sensation:

-Ice on skin
-Pressing between thumb and index finger
-bite on tongue

(Just gave me enough of a "wake up" to cope in a healthier way)

For visual/process

-red marker on skin
-journaling

Distraction:

Anything with my hands: ---coloring/playdoh/house cleaning

Exercise

Singing/dancing

Support:

But probably the biggest thing was support. Someone to call in the middle of the night, CF helped a lot in my teen years, but you have to be careful with internet saftey...just being loved

Praying through it

I could never read in those moments. Sort of like a "fake it till you make it thing". Funny memes, uplifting music videos.

End of list, start at the top again.

I don't know if it always has an underlying cause. Mine stemmed from my past, but I know a lot of kids and teens just have a hard time dealing with big emotions. Whatever the case, @lilygrace keep up the good fight. And big thing is drawing closer to God. That was the biggest/truest thing that helped me overcome this.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Use capital "I's." :) You know my very first username was lily00. I chose it, because I love flowers. But I felt like a "0" and didn't feel worthy of a capital name. God didn't make junk. You have more power in your pinky finger then all Satan and his minions have combined. You are a child of the most high king. 100% Heaven bound in Christ Jesus. Loved with an agape love.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am Mayflower1, Mayflower numero uno now on CF. Bahaha.

But lilygrace is just a wonderful username. You are covered by grace and love Lily. The enemy throws lies, but God's Word says otherwise.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My son had a mental breakdown seven years ago , that’s when the self harm started and at one time we ended up in casualty quite a few times. Now he does it in a controlled way, and it’s not very often. Things just build up with him. He suffers from agrophobia and social anxiety. We now know that there was sexual abuse in his past, he now feels able to have counselling but will need to wait until lockdown is over.
He is now 28years old. I had words of prophecy about him about 20 years ago, so I keep those words in my heart and pray for the victory that will come one day xx
My oldest has only just started journaling, it’s helped him so much, he draws and creates artwork. The difference in him is amazing. Dan hasn’t really found that outlet yet, I journal all the time xx
Pleased you got help Mayflower xx
Rita

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My son had a mental breakdown seven years ago , that’s when the self harm started and at one time we ended up in casualty quite a few times. Now he does it in a controlled way, and it’s not very often. Things just build up with him. He suffers from agrophobia and social anxiety. We now know that there was sexual abuse in his past, he now feels able to have counselling but will need to wait until lockdown is over.
He is now 28years old. I had words of prophecy about him about 20 years ago, so I keep those words in my heart and pray for the victory that will come one day xx
My oldest has only just started journaling, it’s helped him so much, he draws and creates artwork. The difference in him is amazing. Dan hasn’t really found that outlet yet, I journal all the time xx
Pleased you got help Mayflower xx
Rita

I hear you. Glad it isnt very often. :) And prayers for you too. It is hust as hard watching someone struggle with it.

Billy Evmur

Dec 30, 2020
London
facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

If the devil sees that you are uncertain he will attack you, his only weapon of war is lies. We have most of us gone through this, he will even use christians to try to shake your faith.

Faith is KNOWING. KNOW that you are saved, be sure of it. Point your doubts to the cross and say "there on the cross are my sins ... gone forever, buried with Christ and now I am raised up with Him to newness of life" these things are true.

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the devil sees that you are uncertain he will attack you, his only weapon of war is lies. We have most of us gone through this, he will even use christians to try to shake your faith.

Faith is KNOWING. KNOW that you are saved, be sure of it. Point your doubts to the cross and say "there on the cross are my sins ... gone forever, buried with Christ and now I am raised up with Him to newness of life" these things are true.

Amen Billy,
Yes, it is a "knowing", not a feeling. It's the same faith that allows us to relax and trust that He will provide our next meal, or He will keep our paths straight if we always put Him first...so on an so on...same faith, Amen!

And @lilygrace ,
Satan tries to steal the joy of your salvation by causing you to self condemn, just point him to the Cross sister.
You will be fine, believe, trust have faith "without" seeing :) Satan is a liar, a thief and a robber, and one of the ways he does this to place a "lie" into your mind, he is a "Thief" as he steals your confidence in what Christ has done for you and then, if he get's far enough, he "robs" the joy of your salvation.

Rest in God's Truth and promises :)

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And @FluffyYellowDuck ,
Satan tries to steal the joy of your salvation by causing you to self condemn, just point him to the Cross sister.
You will be fine, believe, trust have faith "without" seeing :) Satan is a liar, a thief and a robber, and one of the ways he does this to place a "lie" into your mind, he is a "Thief" as he steals your confidence in what Christ has done for you and then, if he get's far enough, he "robs" the joy of your salvation.

Rest in God's Truth and promises :)
Thanks, Nancy! You threw me off here a little bit because I don't think I posted here and I wasn't sure if you meant to write my name or not, but if you did wow, you're really on point! Perhaps you were responding to lilygrace, not sure, but I'll consider it God's will and I'll take it, either way.

<3 Much love to you Nancy
One book that did help was ‘ Victory over the darkness ‘ by Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson is a GREAT teacher. I can't say that I have read any of his books, but I have watched a lot of his videos and they've really helped.

Don't know what you're going through lilygrace, but you said you haven't done any self-harm since May. I think that's an accomplishment and shows your strength. Maybe you aren't seeing that right now, but it does show your strength and how far God carried you.

Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, Nancy! You threw me off here a little bit because I don't think I posted here and I wasn't sure if you meant to write my name or not, but if you did wow, you're really on point! Perhaps you were responding to lilygrace, not sure, but I'll consider it God's will and I'll take it, either way.

<3 Much love to you Nancy

Neil Anderson is a GREAT teacher. I can't say that I have read any of his books, but I have watched a lot of his videos and they've really helped.

Don't know what you're going through lilygrace, but you said you haven't done any self-harm since May. I think that's an accomplishment and shows your strength. Maybe you aren't seeing that right now, but it does show your strength and how far God carried you.

Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Oh gosh, you are correct, it was in response to @lilygrace but, all the same glad you got something from it :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what should i do first? i feel like i got similar to different answers which is not a bad thing. but yeah. i saw that book you mentioned on my library app and it looks like it has a study guide too. seems interesting.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what should i do first? i feel like i got similar to different answers which is not a bad thing. but yeah. i saw that book you mentioned on my library app and it looks like it has a study guide too. seems interesting.
May I suggest you choose someone you feel most connected to and PM them so you can receive edification and focus on one thing at a time.

Reactions: quietthinker