Being filled vs being baptized with the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is good one thing I would ask is if the moment of faith and receiving could not have been at the same time as the baptism? could they not have all flowed together into one conversion?
My thinking is that I was expressing my faith in doing what I believed I ought to do, being water baptized. And that was the moment I think I received Jesus, just because of how I thought about it all.

Let me give you another example from my life. One night I was praying and asking God for more power in my life, and I felt He was speaking to my heart, This Sunday, ask your pastor to lay hands on you and pray for you. I even asked for confirmation from Him, and let my Bible fall open, and looked down on the page, and read, "Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit saith the Lord".

I was attending a small apostolic church at the time, and for the pastor, this meant I was to be baptized in the Spirit. And this was on the lines of how I was thinking as well. Sunday came, and after the service, I asked him for that prayer, and he did so. Then he tried to coach me in speaking in tongues (a gift I don't seem to have), and then I went on my way. It was about an hour and half drive to home. Within 5 minutes after being in my car, I began to feel His power flooding through me, I knew without question my life would never be the same, and it wasn't.

That day marked the beginning of a new season of life of growth and fruitfulness. And I thought I'd been baptized in the Spirit.

And then there was another time, equally transformative, maybe more so, though in a different way. And I've seen a few times now where I would have said that's what was happening, but I think now more in terms of being filled by the Spirit, which is to receive power from Him to fulfill a purpose.

I think what I'm trying to share is how I've 'experienced' in my life these things which I don't doctrinally believe, though at the time it seemed to be so. But I've come to see how that wasn't actually so.

Much love!

Reactions: Azim

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spirit upon is when God fills you with the spirit temporarily to show that it is God working though someone or something accompanied with signs usually tongues so that you know it is from God. This is not something that ever individual gets it is used as signs from God to prove authority from God
I understand the "Spirit came upon" someone was that the Holy Spirit was empowering for a particular purpose. The Spirit came upon Samsom and he carried the city gates 20 miles.

There are numerous examples of the Spirit coming upon someone, but I don't see it in connection with speaking in tongues. I don't know where you are seeing that, can you give some examples?

I think the key phrase that speaks to this is,

Acts 10:44-47
(44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
(47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Cornelius believed, and he received the Holy Spirit just as the Apostles had, as was evidenced in their speaking in tongues. I don't think we can parse between these Spirit encounters, Peter renders them the same, as I read it.

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand the "Spirit came upon" someone was that the Holy Spirit was empowering for a particular purpose. The Spirit came upon Samsom and he carried the city gates 20 miles.

There are numerous examples of the Spirit coming upon someone, but I don't see it in connection with speaking in tongues. I don't know where you are seeing that, can you give some examples?

I think the key phrase that speaks to this is,

Acts 10:44-47
(44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(45) And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
(47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Cornelius believed, and he received the Holy Spirit just as the Apostles had, as was evidenced in their speaking in tongues. I don't think we can parse between these Spirit encounters, Peter renders them the same, as I read it.

Much love!

There are numerous examples of the Spirit coming upon someone, but I don't see it in connection with speaking in tongues.
I was talking about in this case about God pouring out the spirit on the gentiles it was speaking in tongues that was the sign (verse 46 above ) for the unbelieving Jews that were with Peter. It was the out pouring on the Gentiles as Joel foretold and was a sign to the Jews that the time had come to add the gentiles to the church it was not the indwelling but the spirit upon or filled with the spirit but not the indwelling that came when Peter had them baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and to receive the indwelling spirit. (Acts 2:38) which Paul verifies that the indwelling spirit is indeed given in the baptism in Christ name (Acts 19:1-5)

Let us reason together here.
Peter started preaching the gospel while he preached the spirit FELL on them (upon) and they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Why were the Jews surprised because they had to be shown that God was accepting the gentiles, remember he had to prepare Peter for this also.

Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Now let us reason carefully here. If Peter thought he was saved at this point why would he order them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ same as he did everyone in Acts 2 following if this is not proof that the spirit upon is not the spirit baptism but instead it is the baptism in Christ name where sin is remitted and the spirit given just as Peter said in Acts 2:38 Paul said in Romans 6 and in Acts 19

One more thought to ponder here in this passage. Note that Peter said this is the one place that it has happened as it did one the Apostles in Acts 2. He had to look all the way back to when it came upon them to find another example no one else has had this experience and several have been converted between the two happenings, Yes others got the gifts but not as the Apostles and Cornelius the others had to have hands laid on them to get the gift transferred . This was never promised to every individual but the indwelling in verse 48 was.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was talking about in this case about God pouring out the spirit on the gentiles it was speaking in tongues that was the sign (verse 46 above ) for the unbelieving Jews that were with Peter. It was the out pouring on the Gentiles as Joel foretold and was a sign to the Jews that the time had come to add the gentiles to the church it was not the indwelling but the spirit upon or filled with the spirit but not the indwelling that came when Peter had them baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and to receive the indwelling spirit. (Acts 2:38) which Paul verifies that the indwelling spirit is indeed given in the baptism in Christ name (Acts 19:1-5)
Checking my understanding . . . this one time then that the Holy Spirit "came upon" someone to cause them to speak in tongues to give the sign that they were to be accepted into the faith?

It seems to me this is still addressed in Peter saying he'd received the Holy Spirit the same as they had.
Now let us reason carefully here. If Peter thought he was saved at this point why would he order them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ same as he did everyone in Acts 2 following if this is not proof that the spirit upon is not the spirit baptism but instead it is the baptism in Christ name where sin is remitted and the spirit given just as Peter said in Acts 2:38 Paul said in Romans 6 and in Acts 19
I don't know that Peter understood everything fully. This is a narrative passage which tells us what they did, and said, but we need to understand these things according to the teaching passages, right? That leads me back to Ephesians 4, for instance, or Romans 6, that tell us the particulars about our conversion.

Gotta run for now, I'll be back Monday Lord willing! I'll be giving more thought to this in the meantime.

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Checking my understanding . . . this one time then that the Holy Spirit "came upon" someone to cause them to speak in tongues to give the sign that they were to be accepted into the faith?

It seems to me this is still addressed in Peter saying he'd received the Holy Spirit the same as they had.

I don't know that Peter understood everything fully. This is a narrative passage which tells us what they did, and said, but we need to understand these things according to the teaching passages, right? That leads me back to Ephesians 4, for instance, or Romans 6, that tell us the particulars about our conversion.

Gotta run for now, I'll be back Monday Lord willing! I'll be giving more thought to this in the meantime.

Much love!
Just one more thought. Peter said that in Acts 2 that the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ remits sin and gives the spirit. Can we verify that with other passages? Will one this is the only one that is commanded so that is a good indication that it is the reason and the one referred to when it talked about you were baptized as in Romans 6. But if that is not clear enough to make the connection then Acts 19 seals the deal.

Acts 19 Paul comes across some that was baptized with the baptism of John (now obsolete ) and ask them why the did not get the spirit? They told them that they never even heard of such . Paul then asked them into what were you baptized? see Paul new that the spirit is given in the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ that was the only way to receive the indwelling spirit . So Paul baptized them in the name of Jesus Christ just as Peter preached on the day of Pentecost and all preached everyday since.

Now while we are here in Acts 19 notice that Paul laid hands on them to transfer the gift to build the new church of Ephesians that he just planted. See the order first he needed to get them saved through the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ then he (not supernaturally) laid hands on to give the gift of power so they could grow the Church

Now some in religious circles claim that the baptism in the Holy Ghost .(the out pouring ) on the Apostles of Acts 2 is the born of the spirit baptism that we are to be baptized with but scripture said that the one of Acts 2 only happened on the Apostles and later on Cornelius all other similar occasions were by laying on of hands after conversion through the baptism in Christ name.

I feel that scripture makes it clear that the one baptism of the spirit is that one that bears our Saviors name the baptism in the name of Christ. I feel that scripture proves that Acts 2:38 is indeed the one that remits sin as said and gives the spirit as said and I feel other scriptures prove that. That is why I try to point to all the scriptures that are trying to get us to realize that. Not trying to be rude or bullheaded just speaking the truth as I see it and hope I am not blinded but by all the scriptural support I so far am convinced.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where are the Scriptures showing "the baptism OF ( or In ) The Spirit," as I have only seen
"With" and "By"?
Can you give me a specific verse?
Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but He that cometh after me is Mightier than I, Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mar_1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost.

Luk_3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but One Mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Joh_1:33 And I knew Him not: but He that sent me to baptize with water, The Same said unto me, Upon Whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, The Same is He Which baptizeth With the Holy Ghost.

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ!” (online):

1Co_12:13 For By One Spirit are we all baptized into One body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into One Spirit.

Do we know God's Purposes For These Two Different Baptisms, And 'Which' ONE (Eph 4:5) Is
For
Today?

Thanks.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where are the Scriptures showing "the baptism OF ( or In ) The Spirit," as I have only seen
"With" and "By"?
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have edited the OP. Please take another look and follow up.

Do we know God's Purposes For These Two Different Baptisms, And 'Which' ONE (Eph 4:5) Is For Today?
Both are for today.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but He that cometh after me is Mightier than I, Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mar_1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost.

Luk_3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but One Mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: He shall baptize you With the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Joh_1:33 And I knew Him not: but He that sent me to baptize with water, The Same said unto me, Upon Whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, The Same is He Which baptizeth With the Holy Ghost.

1Co_12:13 For By One Spirit are we all baptized into One body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into One Spirit.

Do we know God's Purposes For These Two Different Baptisms, And 'Which' ONE (Eph 4:5) Is
For
Today?

Thanks.
Grace my dear sister have you not been following my posting we have been trying to decipher the difference of this and looks like if you let scripture explain it the one baptism is the one that besrs your saviors name the one in the name of Jesus Christ Peter taught in Acts 2:38 I have followed the teaching on this and scripture has shown that Peter knew what he was talking about and it is for all people from then to the end.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thinking is that I was expressing my faith in doing what I believed I ought to do, being water baptized. And that was the moment I think I received Jesus, just because of how I thought about it all.

Let me give you another example from my life. One night I was praying and asking God for more power in my life, and I felt He was speaking to my heart, This Sunday, ask your pastor to lay hands on you and pray for you. I even asked for confirmation from Him, and let my Bible fall open, and looked down on the page, and read, "Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit saith the Lord".

I was attending a small apostolic church at the time, and for the pastor, this meant I was to be baptized in the Spirit. And this was on the lines of how I was thinking as well. Sunday came, and after the service, I asked him for that prayer, and he did so. Then he tried to coach me in speaking in tongues (a gift I don't seem to have), and then I went on my way. It was about an hour and half drive to home. Within 5 minutes after being in my car, I began to feel His power flooding through me, I knew without question my life would never be the same, and it wasn't.

That day marked the beginning of a new season of life of growth and fruitfulness. And I thought I'd been baptized in the Spirit.

And then there was another time, equally transformative, maybe more so, though in a different way. And I've seen a few times now where I would have said that's what was happening, but I think now more in terms of being filled by the Spirit, which is to receive power from Him to fulfill a purpose.

I think what I'm trying to share is how I've 'experienced' in my life these things which I don't doctrinally believe, though at the time it seemed to be so. But I've come to see how that wasn't actually so.

Much love!
Not to be rude but with all due respect I can not discuss emotions but scripture for I can not feel what you are feeling but I can read the scriptures and every thing I do has to be put against scripture to see if it is true.

• Love
Reactions: marks

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have edited the OP. Please take another look and follow up.

Luke uses the term filled in Acts 2:4 to show that baptism with the Spirit requires filling but not vice versa. Similarly, Peter uses the term baptized in Acts 11:16 to ensure the readers that what happened at Cornelius’ House is a baptism with the Holy Spirit and not just filling (or falling).

Not every filling with the Holy Spirit is a baptism with the Spirit. Baptism with the Spirit is special as Luke and Peter wanted to make it clear.
You are Very Welcome.

For
Today?

Both are for today.
Good and kind discussion, but, I believe before I can agree with this:

God's Purpose For 'Each' must be clarified...

Thanks.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a thought I haven't gathered the scriptures yet but do you think that being filled with the spirit could possibly be talking about the spirit came upon to achieve a special task and is different from the spirit within (the indwelling) in which he works in other ways?
In the NT, no I do not believe this.

The spirit does deal out gifts to who he will (special tasks)

He does alot of things to be honest.. But unlike in the OT. He comes into everyone who is born again

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could Acts 19:1-5 be saying that maybe both happen at same time
When you believe and God grants that faith to salvation

God the Holy Spirit baptizes you into Christ, and his death,

you are then anointed with the HS. as the holy spirit takes up residence in you

Both occur at the time of salvation

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not trying to be rude or bullheaded just speaking the truth as I see it and hope I am not blinded but by all the scriptural support I so far am convinced.
I don't see you that way.

I've read your more recent posts, and I feel like we've pretty well stated our positions, so you agree? Do you have questions about my view? I want to give some thought before posting too much more.

I don't think I've outlined my overall view for you, maybe that would be helpful.

Historically, Jews baptized for ritual cleansing as per the Law of Moses, both people and things, to make the unclean to be clean. They included people in this practice who were proselytizing to Israel. Gentiles would be baptized in becoming Jews.

So just imagine when John, this guy with long hair and a camelhair tunic comes striding out of the desert telling them they have to be baptized. How dare you!!!!!

The OT tells us God's intent for Israel to be the head of nations, and that the other nations were to come to Israel to come into covenant with God. God had no covenant with the gentiles nations. If you wanted to know God, you had to become part of Israel, offering sacrifice, declaring the Lordship of YHWH, committing to keep the Law, and they would baptize you to seal the deal.

Jesus told the Apostles and disciples to go into all the world making disciples of all nations. All nations - gentiles. The Jewish leaders continued to reject Jesus, and by the end of the Acts of the Apostles we see their final rejection, and Paul's declaration that the Gospel would now go straight to the Gentiles.

That didn't happen right away. There was a period of time during which the original plan was still in play,

Acts 3:17-21 KJV
17) And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18) But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Were the nation to have received Jesus after He ascended to heaven, Jesus would have returned, and the kingdom age begun. Of course, if they had, Rome would have come down on them hard, and it would be the Time of Jacob's Trouble, out of which he would be saved.

Until the time of Israel's final rejection, until the Gospel being sent directly to the gentiles, gentiles were coming to join Israel, and baptism continued to be practiced. After Israel's rejection, baptism was still practiced, but without any instruction in Scripture. And in fact, what IS written in Scripture after that time has to do with how water baptism isn't what saves us.

Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, did not once teach water baptism. He acknowledged that it was done, particularly for the dead, though we have no teaching of Christianity that we should baptize for the dead. He acknowledged that some did that.

Remember, narrative passages, telling us what someone did, or what someone said, are not the same as teaching passages, which tell us what we should do, and what things mean.

Look at all the places water baptism is spoken of, and how it's spoken of. To whom, by whom? And in what circumstance?

I don't think you will agree with me, I just wanted to be clear about what I think. And I'll be happy to dig into the Scriptures to see whether these things be true.

I believe what we will find is that water baptism is closely associated with conversion at the beginning, but when the Gospel was sent to the Gentiles, when Paul was writing them letters, and teaching personally, that it was all about how there are not any works of any kind that have any efficacy towards our salvation, and in fact that the one work of any kind that brings us rebirth was done by Jesus on the cross.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps Peter didn't know what to think? Things were happening that he wasn't expecting, wasn't prepared for, and didn't understand.

This is a narrative passage, and it only tells us what he did, not necessarily what was required, or what he should have done, or could have, or why even he did the things he did. It only tells us this limited information.

Going to passages such as Romans 6 give us detailed instruction about these things. Teach passages in Peter and Hebrews explain it's not the water that counts, it's the spirit.

1 Peter 3:15-22 KJV
15) But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16) Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
17) For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
22) Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Baptism saves us by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. As Paul wrote, we are baptized into his death and burial, which is to be immersed into Christ, not into water.

Peter calls the waters of the deluge a simile of baptism, telling us the real thing is "the answer (lit. inquiry) of a good conscience toward God."

To me the question is, does it require that you be baptized in water in order that you would be baptized into Christ?

Much love!