Believers stay righteous through their obedience

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a means to worship God. God hasn't changed. Neither has the law of God changed.

God has increased His power to us and increased His expectations of us with that.

The New Covenant makes God still harder to satisfy than before. That is because of grace. We have access to the MEANS to be holy as Christ is. As He is we are to be in this world.
God's standard is perfection ♥

B

brakelite

Under the New Covenant keeping the commandments translates into being a privilege rather than a requirement; and this includes the sabbath day.
And of course you have divine authority for this premise?

B

brakelite

It is not required under the NT.
Thus saith the Lord? Or thus saith the church? The last time I looked it was the Lord saying, remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. I have yet to find him changing his mind.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course you have divine authority for this premise?
If I wanted to give you a message on why it is in scripture, I suppose that I could. But if your heart isn't open I'm not sure I want to try: because the Bible tells me not to sow among thorns. I have given messages, or will, in other places, on the subject; but I don't think it is wise to give these messages "in your hearing" for specific biblical reasons given in the book of Proverbs.

B

brakelite

If I wanted to give you a message on why it is in scripture, I suppose that I coul
Well, as with most folk who choose to avoid the obvious, I am sure you could give a message from scripture. But bottom line, it will only be what you think scripture is telling you. And if that is what you think it is saying to you, that one of the ten commandments has been cancelled,, them you go for it. You will forgive me please if I require somewhat more of an authoritative statement than the musings of man to dabble with God's laws. I am reminded of what Daniel did concerning the Antichrist... That he would seekl to change times and laws. Personally, wadr, I would stay away from that if I was you.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not saying that the 4th commandment is abolished. I am saying that it is a privilege to keep it rather than an obligation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am not saying that the 4th commandment is abolished. I am saying that it is a privilege to keep it rather than an obligation.
The resurrection corresponds with the Feast of Firstfruits; and so Christians remember the Lord on the first day of the week rather than on the Jewish Sabbath.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is not required under the NT.
It is only required by the accuser for he loves accusing, and breaking the law as all men do just leaves that door wide open, so many walking around with" Im guilty" stuck on their foreheads.

For there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

The law keeps you in condemnation if that is what you want.

B

brakelite

The resurrection corresponds with the Feast of Firstfruits; and so Christians remember the Lord on the first day of the week rather than on the Jewish Sabbath.
Where were the Jews when the Sabbath was instituted? And did Jesus say the Sabbath was made for man, or the Sabbath was made for Jews?

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And yes it should def be His love for us that should cause us to WANT to obey, when we disobey, we grieve His Spirit. Saved by grace through faith alone = obey Him as a result.
If we do not love Jesus enough to obey His commandments, do we get to heaven?
(ref: Jesus' 4 separate verses in John 14)

If we are not Jesus' friends enough to obey His commandments, do we get to heaven?
(ref: Jesus' 1 verse in John 15)

Me? ... IMO, we must love Jesus and be His friend to get to heaven!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, even in this life! And yes it should def be His love for us that should cause us to WANT to obey, when we dis-obey, we grieve His Spirit. Saved by grace through faith alone=obey Him as a result.

Agree. If as we know ...1 John 3. 4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."
....And that Jesus came to fulfill , not destroy it...the law being fulfilled by Love Himself...then the only way we have to and can "obey" is via love..and not transgressing love.

Love is the deep call. "Deep calleth unto deep..."
I like what you say...obedience is not a weight....but a joy.
It must move from what we 'do' to what we are...we must become love, as He is...for "God IS love.."

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I am sure you could provide me with a wonderful treatise on the covenants. You will no doubt provide intricate and intimate details of the difference between old and new, describing all the nuances that exist affecting obedience, grace, salvation, and works. But there is one thing, despite all the wisdom you may bring with your erudite prose, that will be missing.
That one thing no scholar, no biblical theologian, no professor of linguistics or doctor of divinity could provide. An authoritative conclusive statement stating clearly and succinctly that the keeping holy of the Sabbath is no longer a commandment. No-one since the apostles put pen to paper has ever produced one. Nor I am sure, will you. No disrespect toward you, I am sure you know your Bible very well and could offer an excellent written submission on why the Sabbath ought no longer be observed... But it will lack one integral ingredient that if produced, will convince me. Divine authority.
nice imo

the Decalogue even got repealed now, is this what i am reading? How is it that a people so in love with The Rule of Law can get this so completely screwed up, do you think?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ah, now i understand why you have been dodging my posts! i hope you come to a better understanding soon.
If you like, just Quote Human 1 going to heaven and we can clear this up right herenow, or if you prefer you are welcome to stay with your present understanding as long as you like, but honest injun your perspective is nowhere in Scripture, and i will be Quoting your friend Jesus Himself against you, ok?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do not love Jesus enough to obey His commandments, do we get to heaven?
(ref: Jesus' 4 separate verses in John 14)

If we are not Jesus' friends enough to obey His commandments, do we get to heaven?
(ref: Jesus' 1 verse in John 15)

Getting to heaven is not based on our love for Jesus; but on our faith in what He did for us. If we have truly received this, then our love for Him will surely follow.

Therefore if we don't love Him the way we should, we can determine by that, that we don't have the proper faith in His finished work.

The solution is not to muster up more love towards Him, but to focus in on what He did for us: this is the only thing that can produce the right kind of love towards Him that will result in the right kind of obedience. We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:19, Luke 7:36-50).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a means to worship God. God hasn't changed. Neither has the law of God changed.

God has increased His power to us and increased His expectations of us with that.

The New Covenant makes God still harder to satisfy than before. That is because of grace. We have access to the MEANS to be holy as Christ is. As He is we are to be in this world.
Yes, God increased His expectations because He gave us more. People who believe no effort on their part is needed after initial repentance have missed this...

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree. If as we know ...1 John 3. 4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."
....And that Jesus came to fulfill , not destroy it...the law being fulfilled by Love Himself...then the only way we have to and can "obey" is via love..and not transgressing love.

Love is the deep call. "Deep calleth unto deep..."
I like what you say...obedience is not a weight....but a joy.
It must move from what we 'do' to what we are...we must become love, as He is...for "God IS love.."
Amen sistah! ♥♥

Reactions: Helen