Believers stay righteous through their obedience

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to love to ignore obvious Scripture!
You need to deal with it ... not ignore or reject it.

So you see that overcoming is NOT believing that Jesus is the Son Of God (1 John 5:5).

Who is ignoring obvious scripture? You made a statement; and then referenced a scripture that obviously contradicts your statement.

Reactions: Nancy

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For mankind to say Jesus only saved us so that ""WE"" could save ourselves by what we do is an affront to What God's Son has already done "FOR US" on the cross.
It's not an affront to God ...
when the true believer co-operates with the Holy Spirit
while He tries to fully sanctify the believer,

Because of the many dire warnings about losing salvation,
gaining eternal death, etc. we see that salvation must be a process.

The Father and the Lord Jesus both have been warning Their prophets/watchmen
about the deplorable state of the church (of which you are a part).
Actually, it sounds like the Laodicean church of Revelation 3.
Here is an excerpt from one of them (it's easy for me to remember):
"shepherds leading multitudes to hell".

Should I post some more of these warnings from the Godhead?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Co-operating with the Holy Spirit is something that we do because we belong to Christ...because we have salvation.

If we did not have salvation we wouldn't even have the Holy Spirit.

When a man is saved, he is sealed by the Holy Spirit.

There is an influence on a man's life that the Holy Spirit brings (1 John 3:9).

I perceive that 1 John 3:9 may be something that John wrote using the literary tactic of hyperbole, his point being that we do not have to sin and that when we do sin we are held accountable for it by the Lord. This latter thing would work itself out in discipline and chastening (Hebrews 12:5-11); not punishment (i.e. the lake of fire), unless the person repeatedly crosses the line and ignores chastening to a very great degree so that it becomes evident to all that the person was never regenerated in the first place.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
In Judaism, keeping the law is a requirement
as with Christianity, insert relevant vv here, and wadr keeping the law is not being under the law, which is only revealed when one wishes to have the law enforced upon someone else. Iow it does no good to say that you are not under the law here, and then go vote for the Rule of Law somewhere else, see, or call a cop when your car gets stolen or whatever.

If you don't think you are required by God to keep the laws relevant to you, then you need to be in jail imo
and i am a full-blown Anarchist saying this ok. If you are not aware of the relevant vv then just say

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When a man is saved, he is sealed by the Holy Spirit.
I say, "So what! ... Ever heard of a seal that cannot be unsealed?"

You say, "Dozens of dire warnings in the NT! ... So what!"

God says, "shepherds leading multitudes to hell".
You say, "So what!
I say, "Some things never change."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In Judaism, keeping the law is a requirement
so are we done? In Christianity, keeping the law is a requirement, Jesus made this quite plain, and so did Paul, and i'm pretty sure Peter did too. Keeping the law is not being under the law, or obv they would have wrote "keeping the law" there, which phrase may also be found in Scripture right

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Judaism, keeping the law is a requirement: and Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, and Matthew 5:48 apply to all who seek to go in that way.

In Christianity, obedience is a privilege, the law does not condemn us from the outside (Romans 6:14, Romans 7:4, Romans 7:6, Galatians 2:19, Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14, Hebrews 7:18-19) but rather governs us from the inside (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:4, Romans 8:7; Romans 5:5 w/ Romans 13:8-10, 1 John 5:2-3, 2 John 1:6). Because we love the Lord, we obey Him. Because He loved us first (Romans 5:5, 1 John 4:19, Luke 7:36-50).

See also Psalms 110:3.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so are we done? In Christianity, keeping the law is a requirement, Jesus made this quite plain, and so did Paul, and i'm pretty sure Peter did too. Keeping the law is not being under the law, or obv they would have wrote "keeping the law" there, which phrase may also be found in Scripture right
Keeping the law is a privilege not a requirement (for the believer in Christ).

If it were a requirement there would be condemnation over not keeping it; but the truth of the matter is that as believers in Jesus Christ we are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s). Romans 4:8, Romans 8:38-39, Hebrews 9:12.

We are "under the law to Christ"; and this is in contrast to the fact that we are "not under the law but under grace."

What this means is that the sense in which we are under the law is in accordance with grace and not according to obligation. He has forgiven us and will not impute sin unto us. Therefore we are eternally grateful and desire to obey Him to the fullest extent possible. "Thy people shall be willing in the day of Thy power."

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You have it right ByGrace. Since no one could keep the law Jesus kept it for us. For mankind to say Jesus only saved us so that ""WE"" could save ourselves by what we do is an affront to What God's Son has already done "FOR US" on the cross.

But mankind loves their religious works and wants God to pay them for them for doing them, (sound like Cain doesn't it). What an affront to Jesus who has already done it for those that believe He has.

Keep up the good work of proclaiming Jesus as the only one that can save the ungodly.
Well, exactly. Nicely stated.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't think you are required by God to keep the laws relevant to you, then you need to be in jail imo
Actually no. Because while I will not be condemned if I blow it, the grace of God in my life teaches me to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts: it makes me a new creature in Christ so that my desire is to obey the Lord (even His law) even though it is no longer required of me.

There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1, John 5:24 (kjv)).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There is the story of C I Scofield listening to someone praying; and then he whispered: 'Could someone fetch that man a New Testament?'

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. Because at the very least, I do not see the understanding that I am portraying as being far from the Spirit of the New Testament and what it teaches as a whole.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Amen. Because at the very least, I do not see the understanding that I am portraying as being far from the Spirit of the New Testament and what it teaches as a whole.
The Lord Jesus saves; it's not at all by our own efforts (Ephesians 2.9). He is able to save (Hebrews 7.25); He is able to keep (Jude 24).

Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord Jesus saves; it's not at all by our own efforts (Ephesians 2.9). He is able to save (Hebrews 7.25); He is able to keep (Jude 24).
Yes, that last one is one of my favourites. He is able to present us faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy!

Reactions: farouk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Keeping the law is a privilege not a requirement (for the believer in Christ).
horse puckey, as "least in the kingdom" and several other passages might inform you
If it were a requirement there would be condemnation over not keeping it
if you read the other half of the Bible you will find several of them in There wadr

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Actually no. Because while I will not be condemned if I blow it, the grace of God in my life teaches me to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts: it makes me a new creature in Christ so that my desire is to obey the Lord (even His law) even though it is no longer required of me.

There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1, John 5:24 (kjv)).
i am condemning you right now, ergo you are not in Christ i guess.

Many will cry Lord, Lord, i guess, all claiming their desire to serve Jesus and other pious-sounding whatnot
so let's not forget that all that can also make Twice the sons of hell you are, and Seven worse spirits, ok?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 10. God Himself said to Peter...making His point about what Peter felt was unclean through the law ...because Peter was hung up on the law.

"And the voice spake unto him again the second time, 'What God hath cleansed, that call not thou unclean."

Like I said...Believers 'trying' to stay righteous through obedience or any other way...is not Bible faith and not what GOD says.
It is pride of man. = it is saying:- I must help Jesus save me, His cross and His blood is not enough.'
It is not our efforts that bring about our salvation but our surrender. Yes, we are to strive with whatever we have, but that striving will not win any battles that count. We surrender the reins of ourselves to God and then He can and will win the battles. God doesn't loses battles but when men quench the Spirit of God the battle is lost because God has been limited. The battles are fought to overcome "... the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life..." [I John 2:16] so that we do not sin any more.