Believing in yourself means having the courage to stand on your own two feet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Everytime I hear that it is satanic to believe in yourself, I think just how infantile that line of thought is. God is within, nowhere else outside or in some book, thought, or belief system. It's widely believed that taking oneself to be their own God is satanic and blasphemy. However, I say it's the total opposite. NOT being your own God, light, believing in yourself is satanic. Yourself is all you have at the end of the day, you take yourself everywhere you go. Whether you accept Jesus, follow Islam, etc. it all starts with YOU. No one else makes that decision but YOU.

People think it's selfish to believe in yourself and should therefore not believe in yourself. This is the epitome of weakness being a virtue. There's so much rationalization around not believing in oneself as a means to justify not having fully grown up yet. I have been homeless before without anything. What got me out of it is believing in myself, not praying to some God outside of me. So I say, drop all fear and stand on your own two feet. Even if the body dies, so be it! I accept it fully, I live NOW, not tomorrow. Without death, there is no life. So what is the problem?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everytime I hear that it is satanic to believe in yourself, I think just how infantile that line of thought is. God is within, nowhere else outside or in some book, thought, or belief system. It's widely believed that taking oneself to be their own God is satanic and blasphemy. However, I say it's the total opposite. NOT being your own God, light, believing in yourself is satanic. Yourself is all you have at the end of the day, you take yourself everywhere you go. Whether you accept Jesus, follow Islam, etc. it all starts with YOU. No one else makes that decision but YOU.

People think it's selfish to believe in yourself and should therefore not believe in yourself. This is the epitome of weakness being a virtue. There's so much rationalization around not believing in oneself as a means to justify not having fully grown up yet. I have been homeless before without anything. What got me out of it is believing in myself, not praying to some God outside of me. So I say, drop all fear and stand on your own two feet. Even if the body dies, so be it! I accept it fully, I live NOW, not tomorrow. Without death, there is no life. So what is the problem?
"LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones." Prov 3:5-8

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Rom 8:1

Reactions: Nancy

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones." Prov 3:5-8

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Rom 8:1

The bible is not my authority, I am my own authority. Even if the Bible is your authority, it is because you of you.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The bible is not my authority, I am my own authority. Even if the Bible is your authority, it is because you of you.
Your post sounds very arrogant and so I wonder why you would come on a Christian site to promote your belief that you are your own God.

You describe you belief as 'other faith' what does that really mean?

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your post sounds very arrogant and so I wonder why you would come on a Christian site to promote your belief that you are your own God?

As you can see, I clearly posted in the non Christian section. And no, there's nothing arrogant about standing on your own two feet and being an adult. You are parroting what society and religion says to keep those such as yourself under control. The world is upside down and condemns anyone who believes in themselves as arrogant. Everyone else wants to keep you down because someone else is doing the same to them. I say be free. I don't want anyone to follow me, but to rise up and see the God within because he is nowwhere else. The problem is people are too afraid of being their own light. They keep themselves trapped because it gives them a sense of comfort and familiarity of all their problems that define them.

Other faith-faith in myself. Love yourself, for you won't be able to love anyone else without doing so.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is my authority! You may believe in yourself, but I believe in Him.

Men have been choosing themselves above God for a long time... and the pain and suffering seen all around us is the result. You may not believe that, but I must stand on what I have experienced serving God for longer than you have been alive in the flesh. You will not convince anyone who really knows God to now move away from Him. You have nothing lasting to offer.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I also 'love' myself in that I have self respect and self worth but not to the extent that I am my own God. Peoples' self importance and putting themselves before everything or anyone else is what is wrong with our society. So As you are on a Christian site - albeit on the non Christian bit of it - did you expect an argument from those of us who are followers of Jesus? Or will you accuse anybody who dares to disagree with you of 'parroting' their opposing views. But of course you are not 'parroting' when you choose a Christian forum to express your own views, which by the way i still think are arrogant and self centred but according to your 'faith' that's perfect.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your flavor of “Christianity” is very different than the beliefs I hold.

Having self esteem is not remotely Satanic- not at all!! Rather having self esteem is a healthy part of living and if somebody is struggling in that regard, they should be given and accept help.

While I strongly disagree with any statement of “I am God”, I do agree that you are your governor and that you should strive to governed yourself wisely.

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your flavor of “Christianity” is very different than the beliefs I hold.

Having self esteem is not remotely Satanic- not at all!! Rather having self esteem is a healthy part of living and if somebody is struggling in that regard, they should be given and accept help.

While I strongly disagree with any statement of “I am God”, I do agree that you are your governor and that you should strive to governed yourself wisely.

Well me as the person of flesh is not God. God is myself, my awareness, my being...clothed in that flesh. Some people are God conscious and some are God unconscious. I think the moment one takes God to be something outside of themselves, that in itself is the very separation from God

Reactions: bbyrd009

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God is my authority! You may believe in yourself, but I believe in Him.

Men have been choosing themselves above God for a long time... and the pain and suffering seen all around us is the result. You may not believe that, but I must stand on what I have experienced serving God for longer than you have been alive in the flesh. You will not convince anyone who really knows God to now move away from Him. You have nothing lasting to offer.

And you believe in God because you believe in yourself. Is it not you who holds that belief? Can you believe in God without there being a self which believes?

Believing in yourself and believing in God are not two different things. Think about that for a second

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I also 'love' myself in that I have self respect and self worth but not to the extent that I am my own God. Peoples' self importance and putting themselves before everything or anyone else is what is wrong with our society. So As you are on a Christian site - albeit on the non Christian bit of it - did you expect an argument from those of us who are followers of Jesus? Or will you accuse anybody who dares to disagree with you of 'parroting' their opposing views. But of course you are not 'parroting' when you choose a Christian forum to express your own views, which by the way i still think are arrogant and self centred but according to your 'faith' that's perfect.

You only think I'm arrogant because you perceive yourself to be less and you think that in some way makes you more sanctimonious or morally superior than me. Bragging about how much more humble you are is arrogance. So if anything, you are projecting your own arrogance onto me. It wasn't me who first started throwing accusations of being arrogant now was I? It was you. So really at the end of it, you're misusing the word 'arrogance' to refer to what you actually don't like to hear. I would not be surprised if this reply was also more self centeredness and arrogance in your eyes. I understand it might work easily on other people to accuse them of being arrogant but I did not budge and called your bluff instead.

And if you are in the non Christian section, did you not expect to find something unChristian? What brings you to the non Christian section since you're a follower of Jesus? Having doubts?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
And you believe in God because you believe in yourself. Is it not you who holds that belief? Can you believe in God without there being a self which believes?

Believing in yourself and believing in God are not two different things.
i guess they kinda can be though, in what we call “narcissist”
so while i mostly agree with your premise, and Yah even says as much, kinda, I said “you are Elohim,” it just becomes too easy to elevate the self (that after all you created) at the expense of others?

but i do agree that lack of self respect is a problem, ya. You might contemplate how Jesus of Nazareth = “John Doe, from Nowhere” and fwiw the Bible really isnt anything like it is being advertised…only it takes quite a while to start getting the code i guess. You might enjoy the abarim guy btw, Why you want to study the Bible, and transcend religion opening page, but his etymologies are first rate, a vital resource for understanding the Bible imo, even a believer who rejects the opening should find them quite useful

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
i guess they kinda can be though, in what we call “narcissist”
so while i mostly agree with your premise, and Yah even says as much, kinda, I said “you are Elohim,” it just becomes too easy to elevate the self (that after all you created) at the expense of others?

People conflate narcissim with loving/believing in oneself all too much. So we end up with a bunch of 'humble bragging' narcissists going around acting all sanctimonious. It's like an indirect narcissm, I find it quite funny. And I see this among Christians a lot with the 'holier than thou' attitude towards other denominations. I'm not saying to elevate yourself above anyone but to really deeply love yourself exactly as you are. But when someone walks around saying that God loves them and that their God will punish anyone who doesn't see otherwise, is narcissim at its finest

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
People conflate narcissim with loving/believing in oneself all too much. So we end up with a bunch of 'humble bragging' narcissists going around acting all sanctimonious. It's like an indirect narcissm, I find it quite funny. And I see this among Christians a lot with the 'holier than thou' attitude towards other denominations. I'm not saying to elevate yourself above anyone but to really deeply love yourself exactly as you are. But when someone walks around saying that God loves them and that their God will punish anyone who doesn't see otherwise, is narcissim at its finest
word

note that Jesus clowned the religious of His day, while elevating the pagan and the atheist :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Believing in yourself and believing in God are not two different things. Think about that for a second
Your logic is your logic, the logic of one man, in the way and thoughts of that one man.

Now then, hear Solomon:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov. 21:2

And then consider the Lord God:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:5-9

The Way God reasons, men might call circular, but there it is...!

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing" John 15:5

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your logic is your logic, the logic of one man, in the way and thoughts of that one man.

Now then, hear Solomon:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov. 21:2

And then consider the Lord God:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:5-9

The Way God reasons, men might call circular, but there it is...!

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing" John 15:5

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44
All good scriptures Amadeus, but worthless to a man who doesn't believe in their authority.
But we can hope that sewing the good seed it will grow. I just feel so sorry for him that he is missing out on all the blessings of belonging to the Living God and being in a relationship with Jesus.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All good scriptures Amadeus, but worthless to a man who doesn't believe in their authority.
But we can hope that sewing the good seed it will grow. I just feel so sorry for him that he is missing out on all the blessings of belonging to the Living God and being in a relationship with Jesus.
He says he believes in the mind of man, yet men continue to fail horribly in spite of all their knowledge and technological advances. 3000 years ago Solomon wrote about men:

"I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?" Ecc 3:18-22

All of that knowledge and technology and men without God today are still beasts! But... then there is a new man, a man who with or by the wisdom of God who has killed or is killing his beast(s)!

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table." Prov. 9:1-2

In the OT types and shadows were shown of the NT. In the OT enemies were to be completely destroyed. In the NT and now, the primary enemy is recognized as being inside of us and we are still to 'take no prisoners'. The evil within us must be destroyed completely, even if we do not recognize it as being evil. God's Spirit does recognize the evil at all times and He has the power to destroy it when we do not. All we have to do is s0urrender completely to God continuously and He will destroy all of the evil in us.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

And I feel sorry for you for not having the courage and maturity to stand on your own two feet. I am not missing out on anything, I have myself like Jesus had himself. Unfortunately people misunderstood what he meant by saying, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." When you have Jesus to save you or pray to God, you are actually saving/praying to yourself.

"For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." -Plato

The reason we have issues in the world is not because people are self centered, but because they won't stand on their own two feet. They don't have the guts to take responsibility without having to drop it on someone else. And no one likes to hear that obviously because the latter is always much easier to do than the former.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very refreshing. I'd love seeing Christians be as honest without so many childish attempts to justify themselves.

God is within, nowhere else outside or in some book, thought, or belief system.

You actually agree with the Once Saved Always Saved sect of Christianity, or rather what they teach ends up the same.

Like you, they are a law unto themselves by their own faith alone, and they also call it God, or God's faith: God is in me, because I believe it, and I live the way I say God would have me to live from within.

You say not from any book, while they simply twist a book to fit what they say. You are more honest than they.

I completely agree with your independent spirit to do for yourself for your own good.

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

No one else makes that decision but YOU.

True, and no one else answers for that decision but me.

It's widely believed that taking oneself to be their own God is satanic and blasphemy.

Are you god or God? I don't accept you as God, neither should you me.

Moving from independent mindedness and fierce desire to run one's own life, to pride over others, is a slippery thing.

NOT being your own God, light, believing in yourself is satanic.

And plainly, you aren't a satanist? As in evil vs good?

People think it's selfish to believe in yourself and should therefore not believe in yourself.

We cannot love ourselves, if we do not believe in ourselves: without believing in ourselves, we have no power to do what we will, to do good or evil, to succeed and or fail, to help and or destroy. Or visa versa: to do what we will, and destroy any that get in the way.

This is the epitome of weakness being a virtue.

Agreed. Humility is not a doormat. Weakness is not meekness. And timidity is not safety. (God help us from all the timid drivers on the road, that think they are being safe!) Neither is it humility of Christians, who boast about how much sinners they are as anyone else.

I have been homeless before without anything.

Similar dittoes. I was without friend nor family, though in an apartment for two years. If I ever were to be homeless, I would go to the woods and live there.

What got me out of it is believing in myself, not praying to some God outside of me.

What got me through it was Jesus within me, and so I called it time of solitude, not desertion.

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

So I say, drop all fear and stand on your own two feet.

No fear can take us through this life with a certain amount of success, but no more. Fear of the Lord does better here and there. Much better.

Even if the body dies, so be it!

No if.

I accept it fully, I live NOW, not tomorrow.

Agreed:

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Without death, there is no life.

Without sin there is no death. Eternal life is without sinning.

We first come into the world living souls, and by sinning we become dead to God. In Jesus Christ, we become alive to God within again: born alive again, like fresh out of the womb. But with knowledge.

Jesus doesn't come to take our spirit nor our life away, only our sinning, which we can do against our own flesh.

Try living through Him for your body's sake, if not your soul. See what happens.

So what is the problem?

Death of the body.

If this life is all, then there is no problem at all, except all that we are and believe ends here. Including our own god we believe and say we are.

Yes, very refreshing. Honesty is always the best policy; otherwise, there can be no good to come of it:

But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Believing in yourself means having the courage to stand on your own two feet
Now that's a trick!