Bible alone heresy!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with the “Bible alone”!

You can easily see why the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” causes so many problems and why we can simply ignor creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees of the holy apostles teaching infallibility with the authority of Christ!

“Bible alone” is false doctrine
Negates the word of God, apostolic councils, creeds, cannons, decrees, dogma, and the teaching authority of the apostles!

The false doctrine of “the Bible Alone” is an attack on Christ and His holy church!
Christ and his church are one acts 9:4
To reject the church or church teaching is to reject Christ!

An attack on the holy church and her divine authority!

Even Christ who is the truth itself is excluded!

Scratch these verses that refer to authority other than the “Bible Alone” our of your Bible!

Isa 22:21-22 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 1:32 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 Jn 21:17 Acts 1:17 acts 1:26 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 20:28 eph 2:20 and too many more to mention!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I'll shorten my response to this one since I already commented on this exact thread in Apologetics Forum.

Without faith in God's Word, you have nothing to stand upon as a Christian. Christian means follower of Christ. How can you know anything at all about Christ, really, if you only trust man to teach you about Him?

If there's no real power in God's Word for you, there may be no real faith in your Christianity.

No offense. Just an observation.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it your saying. I didn't get a good picture of your beef. You for doctrine but not bible. Against doctrine for bible ? What seems to be plaguing you!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

There is no holy church with divine authority.
These sort of statements are usually made by Roman Catholics who are ignorant that there church declares that salvation through faith is accursed.

As eph 2:8+9 says it is by faith you are saved not by works.

Well the RCC does not believe this as it declares to believe this is anathema.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

You can easily see why the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” causes so many problems and why we can simply ignor creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees of the holy apostles teaching infallibility with the authority of Christ!

Negates the word of God, apostolic councils, creeds, cannons, decrees, dogma, and the teaching authority of the apostles!

The false doctrine of “the Bible Alone” is an attack on Christ and His holy church!

Scratch these verses that refer to authority other than the “Bible Alone” our of your Bible!

Isa 22:21-22 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 1:32 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 Jn 21:17 Acts 1:17 acts 1:26 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 20:28 Eph 2:20 and too many more to mention!
'Husbands, love your wives,
even as Christ also loved the church,
and gave Himself for it;
That He might sanctify and cleanse it
with the washing of water
by the word,
That He might present it to Himself
a glorious church,
not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;
but that it should be holy and without blemish.'

(Eph 5:25-27)

Hello @theefaith,

The Head of the Church which is His Body, is Christ Himself (Ephesians 1:22-23).

Also the words that our Lord spoke are 'spirit' and they are 'life' (John 6:63). The Word of God contains the words that Jesus spoke, both while on earth in the gospels, and from heaven by means of the written epistles: The Old Testament Scriptures are also able to make one wise unto salvation as Paul told Timothy (2 Timothy3:15), for they speak concerning Christ, and Timothy is advised to 'rightly divide it' (2 Timothy 2:15), for it is truth.

* All believers on the Lord Jesus Christ, who assemble together in Jesus Name, must acknowledge Christ's Headship and feast on His Word.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Go for it!" "If that's what you want to do."
I wish they wouldn't put down people that have had a great impact on my life, people like John Wimber, but hey, it's a free country, right?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many threads are needed with this SAME topic ?????????

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So holding to God's Word alone as God's Word is heresy? It's "adding" to God's Word that is heresy.
Where have you been?? This is apparently the issue within certain circles... the bible + fancy rituals.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it your saying. I didn't get a good picture of your beef. You for doctrine but not bible. Against doctrine for bible ? What seems to be plaguing you!

the Bible with what the Bible itself refers to as the teaching authority of the apostles yes!

Bible alone with personal interpretation no!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Isa 22:21-22 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 1:32 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 Jn 21:17 Acts 1:17 acts 1:26 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 20:28 eph 2:20 and too many more to mention!
This is only partially true. There may be some churches that hold authority from Jesus, but not all.

1 Timothy 5:17 - Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

And it is better to obey God rather then men, especially when men give incorrect doctrine and counsel:

Acts 5:29 - Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These sort of statements are usually made by Roman Catholics who are ignorant that there church declares that salvation through faith is accursed.

eph 2 refers to redemption not salvation

Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...
Christ alone accomplished the redemption of mankind apart from any works on our part!

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Suffering required for glorification with Christ!

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Justification and salvation are not the same rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)
The holy church is the ark of grace and salvation!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes faith alone is condemned by the holy apostolic council of Trent by the authority of Christ

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Only the church has authority from Christ to define the truth and teach!
Matt 16:18 matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13

Successors of Jesus Christ!

Jesus already prepares His apostles to continue His mission with His power (binding and loosing) and with His authority (keys) matt 16:18 matt 18:18

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

John 4:1 when therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John...
Jn 4:2 Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples

Here we see Jesus delegating to His successors, Peter and the apostles!

Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing

There can be no unity of the spirit without obedience to the faith! Rom 1:5 eph 4:3

Matt 28 I am with you (the apostles)

The papacy based on Matt 16:18 and Isa 22:21-22

Matt 16:18-19
Isa 22:21-22
Behold I am with you (the successors or the apostles until the end of the age, so the successors must remain until the end of the age) matt 28:19

(None of the so called reformers were apostles) (no man has authority to start a church)

Successors of Moses!

Matt 23 why does Jesus say to obey the successors of Moses?

The successors of Moses sit in the chair of Moses having the authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Matt 23 and Jesus commanded them to be obeyed! Then the kingdom was taken from them matt 21:43 and given to Peter, Matt 16:18 the apostles, Matt 18:18 and their successors with the authority of the keys and the power to bind and lose!

Jesus said to obey the authority of the successors of Moses mt 23 authority of the keys and power to bind and loose and this power and authority was taken from them matt and given by Christ to Peter, the apostles and their successors, mt 16:18 18:18 this same authority and power must be obeyed!

mt 28:18-20 all authority is given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors requiring obedience, rom 1:5 obedience to the faith!
And Jesus say to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: behold I am with you even until the end of the world!!!
So the apostles have to remain until the end! Revelation 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and Priests: and we shall reign on the earth. Reign with kingdom authority (keys) power (bind loose) matt 16:18
The successors of Peter and the apostles have a valid jurisdictional authority (keys) and power (bind and loose) by Jesus Christ!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

apostolic succession!

explicit and implicit in scripture

Judas was an apostle
Acts 1:17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

acts 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Matthias succeeded him as apostle

acts 1: 26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

now if it applies to judas how much more to Peter and the other apostles

Matt 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus is with His church and His apostles until the end! So the apostles must remain until the end governing the church administering the kingdom

Mt 16:18 Peter received the keys of the kingdom: (jurisdictional authority of the universal church) and the power to bind and loose:

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter:

Jn 21:17
Peter commanded to Feed my sheep:

Isa 22 21-22 prime minister called father!
Holding the keys of the kingdom under the king Lk 1:32-33 in the line of david!
Matt 16:18

—————————-

Grace and law!

The great error of faith alone is that you believe you are saved and under grace and that you ARE NOT subject to the Mosaic law, (and that’s correct) but also you are not subject to the moral law and DO NOT need to pray, fast, give alms, practice virtue, suffer for Christ, or be righteous, or keep the commandments, even the commandments of Jesus, or maintain any standard of morality!
It’s a gross misunderstanding of law and Grace!

Misunderstanding
of grace!

Confuses the mosaic law with the moral law!

—————————-
—————————-

Authority in what they teach and not in a person in an office!

Jesus is not our salvation: only what He taught?

Lk 2:30 Matt 16:16 Jesus in His person is our salvation, not only in what He taught!
Matt 16:13 not what do people say about what I teach, but whom do people say the I am!

The teaching of the successors of Moses not their person?

The successors of Moses sit in the seat of Moses Matt 23:1 a teaching cannot sit in the seat of Moses!

Peters confession not Peters person? Matt 16:18

You give the keys to a person not to a confession!

Acts 1:26 they choose Mathias not the teaching of Mathias!

————

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!

______\_
Temple search

The church founded by Christ is visible and invisible!

It is the mystical body (visible) of Christ!

Seek ye first the kingdom (visible) of God

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Husbands, love your wives,
even as Christ also loved the church,
and gave Himself for it;
That He might sanctify and cleanse it
with the washing of water
by the word,
That He might present it to Himself
a glorious church,
not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;
but that it should be holy and without blemish.'

(Eph 5:25-27)

Hello @theefaith,

The Head of the Church which is His Body, is Christ Himself (Ephesians 1:22-23).

Also the words that our Lord spoke are 'spirit' and they are 'life' (John 6:63). The Word of God contains the words that Jesus spoke, both while on earth in the gospels, and from heaven by means of the written epistles: The Old Testament Scriptures are also able to make one wise unto salvation as Paul told Timothy (2 Timothy3:15), for they speak concerning Christ, and Timothy is advised to 'rightly divide it' (2 Timothy 2:15), for it is truth.

* All believers on the Lord Jesus Christ, who assemble together in Jesus Name, must acknowledge Christ's Headship and feast on His Word.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I have no problem with scripture only with personal interpretation or the “Bible alone” apart from the authority of the apostles

christ is the head but he ascended to heaven now what? Who governs the holy church? Christ is king also so Who administers his kingdom?

who has Christ’s authority on earth?

isa 22:21-22
Matt 16:18 18:28 28:19
Jn 20:21-23 16:13
Eph 2:20

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can easily see why the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” causes so many problems and why we can simply ignore creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees of the holy apostles teaching infallibility with the authority of Christ!

There is no problem with sola Scriptura if you properly understand it.
It does not reject a priori 'creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees' of the Church. it tests all dogma etc. against Scripture, and if there is a conflict, then Scripture wins out because it has the higher authority.

What do you propose to add to Scripture to make it truer or to complete it?

Reactions: Wrangler

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is only partially true. There may be some churches that hold authority from Jesus, but not all.

1 Timothy 5:17 - Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

And it is better to obey God rather then men, especially when men give incorrect doctrine and counsel:

Acts 5:29 - Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

there is only one church Jn 10:16