Bible alone question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is it the virgin birth or St. Joseph is the father of Jesus or both?

Virgin birth?

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matt 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

St. Joseph the father?

Lk 2:48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

Jn 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

From the “Bible alone”!

really there is No such thing as the Bible alone!
No originals only translations!
Everyone has an Interpretation /meaning!

ArkansasJames

Jun 10, 2022
Wright Co. Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 1:1-17 we see Jesus lineage thru his step father Joseph. Verses 18-25 describe that Joseph was not the natural father. Then in Luke 3:23-38 Jesus genealogy is given through Mary:
And Jesus Himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli. Luke 3:23
The term as suppose let us know that Joseph was not the natural father but rather a step father. For Joseph being husband to Mary would not only be Jesus step father, but son in law to Heli.

While I won’t get in a long debate about it I would not say we don’t have the Originals for God has put a protected hedge over His Word thru the Textus Receptus which was honor til some well meaning Christians and other sheep in wolves clothing attacked it starting in 19th Century. God’s Word is His love letter to the Church, Luke 1:1-4; for the name Theophilus (v.3) is easily translated lover of God. Our All Powerful God can and hath protected this love letter to the Church.

Reactions: Nancy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is it the virgin birth or St. Joseph is the father of Jesus or both?

Virgin birth?

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Lk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Matt 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

St. Joseph the father?

Lk 2:48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

Jn 1:45 Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

From the “Bible alone”!

really there is No such thing as the Bible alone!
No originals only translations!
Everyone has an Interpretation /meaning!

Mary was a virgin, Joseph was basically Jesus' step father. Jehovah is the Father of Jesus Faith.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 1:1-17 we see Jesus lineage thru his step father Joseph. Verses 18-25 describe that Joseph was not the natural father. Then in Luke 3:23-38 Jesus genealogy is given through Mary:
And Jesus Himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli. Luke 3:23
The term as suppose let us know that Joseph was not the natural father but rather a step father. For Joseph being husband to Mary would not only be Jesus step father, but son in law to Heli.

While I won’t get in a long debate about it I would not say we don’t have the Originals for God has put a protected hedge over His Word thru the Textus Receptus which was honor til some well meaning Christians and other sheep in wolves clothing attacked it starting in 19th Century. God’s Word is His love letter to the Church, Luke 1:1-4; for the name Theophilus (v.3) is easily translated lover of God. Our All Powerful God can and hath protected this love letter to the Church.

do you believe the doctrine of the “Bible alone”?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is No such thing as the Bible alone!

Yes there is.

“And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” (Isaiah 8:19-20)

Is there light in you @theefaith ?

Reactions: Nancy and atpollard

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there is.

“And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” (Isaiah 8:19-20)

Is there light in you @theefaith ?

If you believe the doctrine of the “Bible alone” then you cannot believe Jesus who says to his apostles:

Lk 10:16 He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Jn 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jn 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Bible alone” also says Jesus is the Son of God.

And if you have an ounce of common sense you’ll discern who the real Father is.

I agree about that my problem is the false doctrine of the “Bible alone”

according to the “Bible alone”
All these are true

The virgin birth Isa 7:14
The miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit Matt 1:20
And Joseph is the father of Jesus Jn 1:45

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree about that my problem is the false doctrine of the “Bible alone”

according to the “Bible alone”
All these are true

The virgin birth Isa 7:14
The miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit Matt 1:20
And Joseph is the father of Jesus Jn 1:45

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says:
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”

Verse 16 says Scripture is given by inspiration of God is profitable for doctrine, and instruction in righteousness.
Verse 17 says that the purpose of this Scripture is so that the man of God may be perfectly unto ALL good works.

Question: If you can be perfect unto all good works (Which is the purpose and reason why we are here on planet Earth living out our faith for the Lord), then what do you have need of anything else outside of Scripture?

The short answer: Nothing. Because all Scripture is profitable so that the man of God may be perfect unto ALL good works (and not some good works). Nothing mentioned here about man made church traditions (Especially RCC church traditions that contradict the Bible like bowing down to statues - which is idolatry and praying to dead saints - which is necromancy or contacting the dead, and or falsely elevating Mary to being a co-redeemer when she wasn’t, etcetera.).

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the “Bible alone” says Jesus is the son of Joseph? Jn 1:45

It does for a fact Faith, so how can what I said be true as well, was I in error, was the Bible in error, or was understanding in error? Do you think Jehovah is the Father of Jesus?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says:
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”

Verse 16 says Scripture is given by inspiration of God is profitable for doctrine, and instruction in righteousness.
Verse 17 says that the purpose of this Scripture is so that the man of God may be perfectly unto ALL good works.

Question: If you can be perfect unto all good works (Which is the purpose and reason why we are here on planet Earth living out our faith for the Lord), then what do you have need of anything else outside of Scripture?

The short answer: Nothing. Because all Scripture is profitable so that the man of God may be perfect unto ALL good works (and not some good works). Nothing mentioned here about man made church traditions (Especially RCC church traditions that contradict the Bible like bowing down to statues - which is idolatry and praying to dead saints - which is necromancy or contacting the dead, and or falsely elevating Mary to being a co-redeemer when she wasn’t, etcetera.).

scripture yes scripture alone no
The “Bible alone” ain’t biblical

Truth must be revealed by God, and in its fullness in the sacred deposit of faith by Christ to his church! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3 and must be taught by the church, or proposed for our belief by the apostles!
Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Jn 20:21 acts 8:31 Rom 1:5 col 2:7 1 Tim 3:15
matt 18:17

Christ and His church are one! acts 9:4 Acts 5:32 Jn 15:1-5

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

Fundamentalism drives a wedge between Christ and his church, separates Christ from His kingdom, and the authority of Christ from the new covenant!

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

Extends to the truth and the church

Cos Christ is the truth and His church teaches the truth without error! Jn 14:6 matt 28:19 matt 18:17 1 Tim 3:15 Jn 29:21-23 Jn 16:13

Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

John 17:18
As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does for a fact Faith, so how can what I said be true as well, was I in error, was the Bible in error, or was understanding in error? Do you think Jehovah is the Father of Jesus?

there are more than one kind of Farhers

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there are more than one kind of Farhers

Yes sir, for sure, but not in the way I presented it to you in question. A simple answer to the simple question would have sufficed, rather than an evasion. I gather you got the point Faith.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture yes scripture alone no
The “Bible alone” ain’t biblical

The Bible ALONE IS Biblical.

2 Tim 3:
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Gods inspiration.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Doctrine.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Reproof.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Correction.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Instruction in Righteousness.

Jesus Christ

Jesus, The True Word of God.
Christ, The True Power, Wisdom, Seed, Rock of God.

continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church

Yes, Jesus’ Ministry of Preaching, Gods True Word, AND of Christ’s Church established on the TRUTH:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God,
The ROCK, the POWER of God, and ROCK is Christ.

thru Peter, the apostles,

Jesus sent HIS Chosen Disciples (students), as Apostles (teachers), WITH GODS WORD IN “THEIR” mouths, to SPEAK the Word of God, First TO the Jews and then to the other Tribes.

Jesus sent HIS Chosen SAUL to Be His Disciple (student), and then as an APOSTLE (teacher), WITH GODS WORD IN “HIS” PAUL’S mouth, to SPEAK the Word of God, TO the Gentiles.

and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!

A successor is ANY man with Gods Word in his mouth, speaking to others, Gods Word, according to the Gifted Ability God has given that individual man.
Gifts FROM God....NOT Gifts FROM men...Even Peter knew that!

1 Pet 4:
[10] As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
[11] If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

A Very Small Group of Catholic men APPOINT men to OVERSEE their man-made Catholic Churches, ACCORDING TO: Catholic Faith, and Catholic man-made Doctrines, VOID of the Consent of those man-made Churches parishioners.

Protestant Churches, are established EITHER by individuals who desire to Preach the Word of God, and VOID of the Consent of the parishioners.
OR:
By a group of people, HIRING and KEEPING a Preacher, WHO Preaches ACCORDING TO the Word of God, the Doctrine of Christ Jesus....
OR;
Firing a Preacher to OUTSIDE the Word of God and OUTSIDE the Doctrine of Christ Jesus.

The DIFFERENCE IS: VERIFICATION SOURCE.

Catholics Teach VERIFICATION of THEIR TEACHING is VIA their OWN man-made Doctrines.

Protestants Teach VERIFICATION of THEIR TEACHING is VIA
Scripture Alone.

You @theefaith have made it abundantly clear YOU FOLLOW after the WORDS and DOCTRINES of men, that men have APPOINTED for you to follow.

You @theefaith have made it abundantly clear YOU are ANTI- adamantly AGAINST men, WHO CHOOSE the Scriptures ALONE TO VERIFY what they are HEARING PREACHED “IS” True.

Jesus Himself Commended men FOR VERIFYING “WITH SCRIPTURE” WHAT THEY HEAR is TRUE or NOT.

Kudos Bereans...
Kudos Church of Ephesus...

Act 17:
[10] And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
[11] These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Rev 2:
[1] Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
[2] I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Kudos to you @theefaith, you believe what you are TOLD without Scriptural Verification that it be True. :eek: Even going so far as to, SPEAK AGAINST Scriptural Verification. :eek:

WHOOPS...
Gal 6:
[5] For every man shall bear his own burden.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, for sure, but not in the way I presented it to you in question. A simple answer to the simple question would have sufficed, rather than an evasion. I gather you got the point Faith.

Joseph is the father of Jesus!
The legal father of Jesus!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible ALONE IS Biblical.

2 Tim 3:
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Gods inspiration.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Doctrine.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Reproof.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Correction.
Gods Word profitable for Gods Instruction in Righteousness.

Jesus, The True Word of God.
Christ, The True Power, Wisdom, Seed, Rock of God.

Yes, Jesus’ Ministry of Preaching, Gods True Word, AND of Christ’s Church established on the TRUTH:
Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God,
The ROCK, the POWER of God, and ROCK is Christ.

Jesus sent HIS Chosen Disciples (students), as Apostles (teachers), WITH GODS WORD IN “THEIR” mouths, to SPEAK the Word of God, First TO the Jews and then to the other Tribes.

Jesus sent HIS Chosen SAUL to Be His Disciple (student), and then as an APOSTLE (teacher), WITH GODS WORD IN “HIS” PAUL’S mouth, to SPEAK the Word of God, TO the Gentiles.

A successor is ANY man with Gods Word in his mouth, speaking to others, Gods Word, according to the Gifted Ability God has given that individual man.
Gifts FROM God....NOT Gifts FROM men...Even Peter knew that!

1 Pet 4:
[10] As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
[11] If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

A Very Small Group of Catholic men APPOINT men to OVERSEE their man-made Catholic Churches, ACCORDING TO: Catholic Faith, and Catholic man-made Doctrines, VOID of the Consent of those man-made Churches parishioners.

Protestant Churches, are established EITHER by individuals who desire to Preach the Word of God, and VOID of the Consent of the parishioners.
OR:
By a group of people, HIRING and KEEPING a Preacher, WHO Preaches ACCORDING TO the Word of God, the Doctrine of Christ Jesus....
OR;
Firing a Preacher to OUTSIDE the Word of God and OUTSIDE the Doctrine of Christ Jesus.

The DIFFERENCE IS: VERIFICATION SOURCE.

Catholics Teach VERIFICATION of THEIR TEACHING is VIA their OWN man-made Doctrines.

Protestants Teach VERIFICATION of THEIR TEACHING is VIA
Scripture Alone.

You @theefaith have made it abundantly clear YOU FOLLOW after the WORDS and DOCTRINES of men, that men have APPOINTED for you to follow.

You @theefaith have made it abundantly clear YOU are ANTI- adamantly AGAINST men, WHO CHOOSE the Scriptures ALONE TO VERIFY what they are HEARING PREACHED “IS” True.

Jesus Himself Commended men FOR VERIFYING “WITH SCRIPTURE” WHAT THEY HEAR is TRUE or NOT.

Kudos Bereans...
Kudos Church of Ephesus...

Act 17:
[10] And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
[11] These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Rev 2:
[1] Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
[2] I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Kudos to you @theefaith, you believe what you are TOLD without Scriptural Verification that it be True. :eek: Even going so far as to, SPEAK AGAINST Scriptural Verification. :eek:

WHOOPS...
Gal 6:
[5] For every man shall bear his own burden.

but not the Bible alone
Acts 2:42
Acts 8 the eunuch had scripture
Matt 18:17
1 Tim 3:15 the church is the pillar of truth

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but not the Bible alone
Acts 2:42
Acts 8 the eunuch had scripture
Matt 18:17
1 Tim 3:15 the church is the pillar of truth

I have ZERO issue with THE Church, but then ofcourse when I say;
THE CHURCH, I am expressly speaking of Christ’s Church, and NOT pretending it is anything other than Christ’s Church!

It is abundantly clear;
what is “YOUR, THE Catholic Church”,
And
What is “YOUR, Men’s Words are your Doctrine”,
And
What is “YOUR, Faith is Catholic Faith.

I’ll stick with my THE Church, IS Christ’s Church.
And
Gods Word, IS Gods Doctrine, IS my Doctrine.
And
Gods Faith, IS my Faith.

Freewill, to each his own decision to choose.
I’m not interested in Your choices.
I am quite content with having chosen the Lord Gods’ Way.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have ZERO issue with THE Church, but then ofcourse when I say;
THE CHURCH, I am expressly speaking of Christ’s Church, and NOT pretending it is anything other than Christ’s Church!

It is abundantly clear;
what is “YOUR, THE Catholic Church”,
And
What is “YOUR, Men’s Words are your Doctrine”,
And
What is “YOUR, Faith is Catholic Faith.

I’ll stick with my THE Church, IS Christ’s Church.
And
Gods Word, IS Gods Doctrine, IS my Doctrine.
And
Gods Faith, IS my Faith.

Freewill, to each his own decision to choose.
I’m not interested in Your choices.
I am quite content with having chosen the Lord Gods’ Way.

who is the head of this church?