Bible alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don’t have self-appointed pastors, preachers, evangelists etc?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a strange spiritual anarchy that accepts the king but rejects the kingdom established by the King!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Except I find Sola Scriptura to be the opposite of that.

"Sola Scriptura" is about men telling me about which words they find to be God's words (limiting it to just those words), and their interpretation of it (and just thier interpretation). Anything that varies from that is not accepted. It makes them and their views king.

It's not about me directly embracing a living God whom still speaks & enlightens.
Well your experience is not the same as that of many others. Even in what you say, it's good to remember that it's the Word that defines our understanding of what God really means, rather than some notion that we think that God has just revealed something new and different to us alone.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well your experience is not the same as that of many others. Even in what you say, it's good to remember that it's the Word that defines our understanding of what God really means, rather than some notion that we think that God has just revealed something new and different to us alone.
How about God defining what God means?

Not men or men's traditions or men's understandings. Hence I can't embrace Sola Scriptura.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tradition: handed down or made known

Jn 15:15
Jn 17:8
Rom 16:26
1 cor 11:23
1 cor 15:3
1 thes 2:13
Eph 1:9 and 3:3
2 pet 1:16
2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Comparing Scripture with Scripture. The Spirit must give understanding.
Let God speak.

Do not confine it by men's traditions/interpretations.

I acknowledge that you and I disagree here, but I do passionately find the be the "Sola Scriptura" to be a placement of men and men's traditions above God Himself.

Reactions: Candidus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s thousands of denominations claiming both the Bible alone and the Spirl teaching controversy doctrines

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not confine it by men's traditions/interpretations.

Does that include Paul?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a strange spiritual anarchy that accepts the king but rejects the kingdom established by the King!

No jab just an observation

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Bible alone how do we know what is the Bible and what is not the Bible?

I don't think you can. The Truth comes from the Word and the Spirit. Then you can discern, because you are a spiritual person. The natural man just thinks everything is foolishness.

As for Paul, he tells us, himself, what is from God (inspired) and what is not, so that even when he doesn't say, we can tell the difference.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Jesus and the Bible say we have to be taught divine revelation by the apostles. My 28:19 and acts 8 the Bible alone was not sufficient?

acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Jesus and the Bible say we have to be taught divine revelation by the apostles. My 28:19 and acts 8 the Bible alone was not sufficient?

acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

That was the Decon Phillip, not the Apostle Phillip.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s thousands of denominations claiming both the Bible alone and the Spirl teaching controversy doctrines
And lots of denominations claiming Traditions all.

Such isn't remotely proof that "we should all be Catholic!" or anything like that. It's not proof of any group being correct. If a person want to know which group/view is correct, then they're going to have to put the effort into studying and researching things themselves, and follow those conclusions.

No jab just an observation
That is 100% a jab. We literally just went over this.