Bible alone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First apostle Peter:

Mt 10:2

Jesus and Peter are one:

Mt 17:27

Peter commanded to confirm his breathren:

Lk 22:32

Peter commanded to Feed my sheep: Jn 21:17

Peter receives the Keys:

Mt 16:18

Peter and the apostles receive the Holy Spirit and the power to forgive sins: Jn 20:21-23

Peter declares Judas office of apostle valid and vacant and chooses a successor: acts 1:15 & 17 & 26

Peter preaches the first sermon on Pentecost: acts 2:14

The successors of Moses having authority of the keys and the power to bind and loose Mt 23 was taken from them Mt 21:43 and given to Peter, the apostles, and their successors: Mt 16:18 and Jesus says this power and authority is to be obeyed!

Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Reactions: Marymog

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are not God, not the king, not the founder!

But equal with Christ yes!

As far as roles go, Jesus is the head of the church, Peter is the head of the church on earth Mt 16:18 and leader of the apostles Mt 10:2 administers of the kingdom in the absence of the king. Acts 1:9 Jn 21:17 and Peter, the apostles and their successors are sent in the same way as Jesus!

Jn 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Peter, the apostles, and their successors are God breathed!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is talking about the ability to perform miracles, It was not only given to peter, not even only to apostles,
Hello EG,

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are saying that the authority to bind/loosen is "the ability to perform miracles"? If I misunderstood you I apologize.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you place men equal,with Jesus? That’s where the first problem lies
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Nope, didn't say that. I said "in a sense". As in some manners we (men) are equal. He even said Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these...!

Soooo if I can do greater things than you...are we equal?

Bible Study Mary

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus places them as equals! As His successors! For the Bible says Jesus is an apostle! Heb 3:1 And Jesus makes them apostles having the same mission, power, and authority! Jn 20:21-22 it is His church and He (Jesus) continues His ministry thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors!

Saul was persecuting the church, but Jesus say why persecute me?

Acts 9:4
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

the authority of the apostles is seen throughout the New Testament! Acts 18:8 for example

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus once told me that, "all things are possible if one only believes." I believe Him.
Without God's help, how would I know the correct understanding of His word? I once saw the Kingdom of God preached with authority. Later when I was alone, I saw and experienced what I can only call signs and wonders.
God is the original person. He has feelings and doesn't like being used. People grabbing for things when they should be asking Him. People treating Him like He's a vending machine. People who go on about giving to Him when what they're actually doing is called investing.
We worship the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, not the Father, Son, and Holy Bible. The reverence of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
We have access to the Father through His Son Jesus. To come boldly to His throne. He's our Papa and we are His kids. Thank you, Abba.
I believe all bibles are based on copies of the original manuscripts. The older they are, the closer they are to the original manuscripts, which I believe were perfect.
I was recently reading a scripture passage that I knew well on a bible site. The first 2 times I read it, I thought I was at the wrong address. The third time I was more careful. I realized that the online NIV was different from the bible I held in my hand.
After thinking about it for a while, I decided that they must have updated it from the Dead Sea Scrolls. I looked into it and I was right. God had spoken to me through the said passage for years and it didn't really make any sense. But when I read the updated version things fell into place in my mind and I clearly understood what He'd meant all along. Once again, His timing was perfect. Shalom

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've noticed that you have been signing your posts with "Bible Study Mary" lately, yet many of your doctrines and exegesis of Scripture are very, very flawed including the above.

Have you consulted a Greek language expert as I've asked? Forget about the scholars and theologians for they have biases!

Can you honestly make distinctions between a physical church that supposedly was built on Peter and the Church of Christ? The natural man does not have the capacity of knowledge nor understanding so they quote Matthew 16:18.

Jesus went to the cross to pay for the sins of His people (Church) Matthew 1:21. Has Peter done such things, anything? He can't even save himself, let alone save a church!!!

I suggest to go back to signing as "Curious Mary" as this suits you much better instead of the present label you give to yourself. At least when you are found wrong you can have an excuse to say "I was curious."

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: bbyrd009

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed that you have been signing your posts with "Bible Study Mary" lately, yet many of your doctrines and exegesis of Scripture are very, very flawed including the above.

To God Be The Glory
Who decides that? You?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you honestly make distinctions between a physical church that supposedly was built on Peter and the Church of Christ? The natural man does not have the capacity of knowledge nor understanding so they quote Matthew 16:18.

To God Be The Glory
A physical church IS built on Christ. Example: the church in Corinth, Jerusalem etc. They are beholden to THE CHURCH which IS The Church of Christ with the Apostles as it elders in the 1st century and men (such as James) they chose later on. Otherwise you could start your own (physical) church and start preaching whatever you want which is what has sadly happened over the last 500 years to the point a "church" starts teaching homosexuality, abortion and gay marriage are ok!!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you consulted a Greek language expert as I've asked? Forget about the scholars and theologians for they have biases!

To God Be The Glory
Hmmmmm......soooo every translation of Matthew 18:18 that I linked to is wrong. Fascinating that NONE of them say anything about miracles.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Prayer Warrior As opposed to Roman Catholics who traditionally looked to the hierarchy, the idea of Protestantism originally was to based faith upon the Bible rather than on tradition and what the ecclesiastical system told them.
Sola Scriptura is a man-made, 16th century invention. It is Scripturally-untenable because it is NOT taught anywhere in Scripture.
The Bible doesn't tell you which Books belong in it - the CHURCH does.

- The Synod of Rome (382) is where the canon was first formally identified.
- It was confirmed at the Synod of Hippo some eleven years later (393).
- At the Council (or Synod) of Carthage (397), it was yet again confirmed. The bishops wrote at the end of their document, "But let Church beyond sea (Rome) be consulted about confirming this canon". There were 44 bishops, including St. Augustine who signed the document.
- 7 years later, in 405, in a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse, he reiterated the canon.
- 14 years after that, at the 2nd Council (Synod) of Carthage (419) the canon was again formally confirmed.

The Canon of Scripture was officially closed at the Council of Trent in the 16th century, due in part to the perversions happening within Protestantism and the random editing and deleting of books from the Canon.

The Holy Spirit is the Author of Scripture and is the one who decided the Canon. He spoke through His Church to declare oit to the world.
The Canon itself is a perfect example of Sacred Tradition.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, just to be clear for others, Paul writes that way in order to hide wisdom from the wise,
Lol.....Hide wisdom from the wise? If they are wise how do you hide wisdom from them?

Curious

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Bible say to have a reformation?

where does the Bible say the Bible is the only authority?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mt 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is the Author of Scripture and is the one who decided the Canon. He spoke through His Church to declare oit to the world.
The Canon itself is a perfect example of Sacred Tradition.

If you truly believe the Holy Spirit is the Author of Holy Writ and NOT just paying lipservice, be it known that Scripture declares:

5) Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, 'Why walk not your disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?'
9) And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. Mark 7:7, 9.

To God Be The Glory

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you truly believe the Holy Spirit is the Author of Holy Writ and NOT just paying lipservice, be it known that Scripture declares:

5) Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, 'Why walk not your disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?'
9) And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. Mark 7:7, 9.

To God Be The Glory
Jesus wasn't condemning tradition her. In fact Jesus NEVER condemned tradition.
Jesus condemned the traditions of the Pharisees that nullified or rejected the Word of God.

How does the Sacred Tradition of the Canon of Scripture nullify OR reject the Word of God?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you find the term Sacred Tradition of the Canon of Scripture? A tradition of any kind is still a tradition, as "a rose by any other name..."

Any Canon is NOT the authority. Yourself admitted the Holy Spirit is the Author. If God is the Author of Holy Writ, don't you think He will protect it?!!!.

To God Be The Glory

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Bible alone how do we know what is the Bible and what is not the Bible?
The canon can't be established from the Bible. That would be circular logic. Rather, the Canon is established using a higher authority, which was the apostolic witness. The Canon doesn't answer to the question, "What books do we want in our Bible?" Rather, the Canon answers to the question, "What books were always considered by the apostles and the church to be canonical?"

The phrase "sola scriptura" is a bit of a misnomer because the question at hand is "what documents are an infallible witness to God's will for mankind? Which documents hold "belief" authority over me? The answer comes back, the canonical books of the Bible are the only infallible authority with regard to belief and practice.