Bible As Truth Vs. Intellectualism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say "believing in Christ is more than knowing Christ..." what you say there is against the Word of God. Jesus Christ is the Truth. If you don't know the Truth....then you don't know Jesus Christ. We are warned in the Bible not to accept another Jesus! Mother Teresa accepted another Jesus. The Catholic religion teaches another Jesus.

Really? So are we saved because we know the Truth? Wrong - we are saved because Jesus choses us - we do not chose Him.

Mother Teresa"s "cognitive understanding of God is lacking," you say? She was a nun to the Catholic church! She is going to be canonized by the Catholic church! The whole Catholic religion's cognitive understanding of God is lacking! Just alone the fact that the Catholic church has a pope is against the Word of God. Do I need to go down the very big list of unbiblical doctrine from the Catholic religion?

So you are yelling at me because you are agreeing with me about MT? Crazy....

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
You say "believing in Christ is more than knowing Christ..." what you say there is against the Word of God. Jesus Christ is the Truth. If you don't know the Truth....then you don't know Jesus Christ. We are warned in the Bible not to accept another Jesus! Mother Teresa accepted another Jesus. The Catholic religion teaches another Jesus.

Quote aspen: Really? So are we saved because we know the Truth? Wrong - we are saved because Jesus choses us - we do not chose Him.

Mother Teresa"s "cognitive understanding of God is lacking," you say? She was a nun to the Catholic church! She is going to be canonized by the Catholic church! The whole Catholic religion's cognitive understanding of God is lacking! Just alone the fact that the Catholic church has a pope is against the Word of God. Do I need to go down the very big list of unbiblical doctrine from the Catholic religion?

Quote aspen: So you are yelling at me because you are agreeing with me about MT? Crazy....

You say "we are saved because Jesus choses us." What are you talking about! God choses us to be sanctified through his Son! How do you ever get that we can just believe whatever we want about Jesus? How do you ever get that we can not only believe whatever we want about Jesus---but also believe things different than what we are told from the written word?!

As for you not liking my exclamation points.....it is not about yelling, as you say, it's about exclaming something.

I have no idea what you are talking about agreeing with you about MT. What are you talking about? And how about try to refrain from labeling anything "crazy"? You don't think I refrain from using that word? Think again.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Quote aspen: Really? So are we saved because we know the Truth? Wrong - we are saved because Jesus choses us - we do not chose Him.

Quote aspen: So you are yelling at me because you are agreeing with me about MT? Crazy....

You say "we are saved because Jesus choses us." What are you talking about! God choses us to be sanctified through his Son! How do you ever get that we can just believe whatever we want about Jesus? How do you ever get that we can not only believe whatever we want about Jesus---but also believe things different than what we are told from the written word?!

As for you not liking my exclamation points.....it is not about yelling, as you say, it's about exclaming something.

I have no idea what you are talking about agreeing with you about MT. What are you talking about? And how about try to refrain from labeling anything "crazy"? You don't think I refrain from using that word? Think again.

So you don't use the word crazy.......who knew you actually had a standard for talking to people!

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
So you don't use the word crazy.......who knew you actually had a standard for talking to people!

So you did not reply to anything else I said, nor the question I asked---you just attack me personally. And you think that is okay?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
"Really? So are we saved because we know the Truth? Wrong - we are saved because Jesus choses us - we do not chose Him."

It's like a cookie. Flour doesn't make the cookie. Butter doesn't make the cookie. To make the cookie whole there are many parts, and knowing the truth is one of those parts. My suggestion? Read the Bible.
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]
[/color][/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

[/color][/font]

Mother Teresa"s "cognitive understanding of God is lacking," you say? She was a nun to the Catholic church! She is going to be canonized by the Catholic church!
Oh, now that's just golden, LOL...
Proof from Aspen's mouth that the RCC is lacking in cognitive thought, then.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
"Really? So are we saved because we know the Truth? Wrong - we are saved because Jesus choses us - we do not chose Him."

It's like a cookie. Flour doesn't make the cookie. Butter doesn't make the cookie. To make the cookie whole there are many parts, and knowing the truth is one of those parts. My suggestion? Read the Bible.
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]
[/color][/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"][font="Georgia][font="Verdana][size="2"]3 [/size][/font]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, [font="Verdana][size="2"]4 [/size][/font]even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love [font="Verdana][size="2"]5 [/size][/font]he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, [font="Verdana][size="2"]6 [/size][/font]to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. [font="Verdana][size="2"]7 [/size][/font]In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, [font="Verdana][size="2"]8 [/size][/font]which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight [font="Verdana][size="2"]9 [/size][/font]making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ [font="Verdana][size="2"]10 [/size][/font]as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

[font="Verdana][size="2"]11 [/size][/font]In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, [font="Verdana][size="2"]12 [/size][/font]so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. [font="Verdana][size="2"]13 [/size][/font]In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, [font="Verdana][size="2"]14 [/size][/font]who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

[/font]
[/color][/font]

Excellent passage, TexUs.

And about Mother Teresa, and proof from aspen that the RCC is lacking in cognitive thought......yep, golden...lol

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh yes! You really nailed me that time!!! Ouch! Boy......I just got a real beating!

Since when are nuns authorities on theology? Especially nuns that are out in the world working? I am embarrassed for you.

Excellent passage, TexUs.

And about Mother Teresa, and proof from aspen that the RCC is lacking in cognitive thought......yep, golden...lol

Proof? Wow, cool - so whatever I said is proof? - I didn't know I was so powerful.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Oh yes! You really nailed me that time!!! Ouch! Boy......I just got a real beating!

Since when are nuns authorities on theology? Especially nuns that are out in the world working? I am embarrassed for you.

Mother Teresa believed what the Catholic church taught.

To be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ......NO ONE has to be an authority on theology, nor an authority of anything!

Proof? Wow, cool - so whatever I said is proof? - I didn't know I was so powerful.

We just want you to know Jesus, aspen, the Jesus of the Holy Bible.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ......NO ONE has to be an authority on theology, nor an authority of anything!

How do you know? Did you meet her? Interview her? You are making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing - sorry, it is just not true.

Awesome - then pray for Jesus to sanctify my heart.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010

aspen: How do you know? Did you meet her? Interview her? You are making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing - sorry, it is just not true.

aspen: Awesome - then pray for Jesus to sanctify my heart.

You say "how do you know?" in reference to what Mother Teresa believed---because I know what the Catholic church teaches, and I know what Mother Teresas said in her diaries.

You also say that I'm making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing. Every Catholic is doing wrong when they call themself "Catholic." Catholics are under the authority of a pope. It is against the Word to have a pope. Catholics do many other things that are against the Word of God.

What do you mean "then pray for Jesus to sanctify my heart"? What do you mean? I pray that you give up all and any false teachings of the Catholic religion, and the false teachings of any denomination.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

aspen: How do you know? Did you meet her? Interview her? You are making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing - sorry, it is just not true.

You say "how do you know?" in reference to what Mother Teresa believed---because I know what the Catholic church teaches, and I know what Mother Teresas said in her diaries.

You also say that I'm making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing. Every Catholic is doing wrong when they call themself "Catholic." Catholics are under the authority of a pope. It is against the Word to have a pope. Catholics do many other things that are against the Word of God.

What do you mean "then pray for Jesus to sanctify my heart"? What do you mean? I pray that you give up all and any false teachings of the Catholic religion, and the false teachings of any denomination.

Goodbye, Anastacia
God Bless

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Boy, I sure hope someone doesn't judge my belief in God based on a statement from my private diary, after I am dead.

Once again, MT was never considered a theologian. It is unfortunate that Protestants put so much emphasis on what believers 'think' about God.....I remember being Protestant and worrying about getting older and having a stroke or getting dementia because I might lose my faith based on my incapacity to read the Bible or remember who God is - how ridiculous is that? The fact is, God exists whether we believe it Him or not and He is faithful. MT was a sincere follower of Christ with a flawed theology - just like all of us - no one has a perfect image of who God is - far from it!

MT loved with her heart and action - she was certainly justified and sanctified during her lifetime - and I am sure her mind was caught up to speed as soon as God lovingly gazed upon her kneeling before His throne.

Because of Mother Teresa, a lot of people converted to Christianity. Christ said to love our neighbors, which is what she did. Christ also said not to judge them. God is the only judge. How does one love their neighbors. With Mother Teresa, she loved her neighbors by dedicating her life to the poor. It did not matter what religious beliefs the poor held. She built hundreds of shelters, orphanages, and hospices to care for the elderly, the orphan, the poor, the homeless, and the sick.

Matthew 25:34-37 Then the king will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty, and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.

I would definitely say that Mother Teresa was a true daughter of God. A daughter of God does not sit around and do nothing all day. The Holy Spirit inside her definitely moved her to accomplish impossible things for only by the Grace of God can such things be done. :)

Whatever doubts that Mother Teresa had is comparable to what Jesus went through at the cross when Jesus cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou abandoned me?'' Did Jesus really think that God was no longer there for him? In his heart, He knew that God was there. In the same way, Mother Teresa can write her doubts about God, but in her heart she knew that God was there. If she really felt that God abandoned her, she would have also abandoned her dedication of helping the poor. By the way, Mother Teresa went through the same experience as St. John of the Cross. I find that interesting.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
My replies to Selene in blue.

Because of Mother Teresa, a lot of people converted to Christianity.
Maybe she converted a lot of people to Catholicism, but not to Christianity.

Christ said to love our neighbors, which is what she did. Christ also said not to judge them. God is the only judge. How does one love their neighbors. With Mother Teresa, she loved her neighbors by dedicating her life to the poor. It did not matter what religious beliefs the poor held.
You said "it did not matter what religious beliefs the poor held." There is nothing more important than being saved! To having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To being reconcilled to God through Jesus Christ.

She built hundreds of shelters, orphanages, and hospices to care for the elderly, the orphan, the poor, the homeless, and the sick.
Are you saying works gets a person saved?

I would definitely say that Mother Teresa was a true daughter of God. A daughter of God does not sit around and do nothing all day.
Mother Teresa a daughter of God? She doubted God existed.

Whatever doubts that Mother Teresa had is comparable to what Jesus went through at the cross when Jesus cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou abandoned me?'' Jesus took the sins of the world on himself! Jesus felt the suffering of being separated from God. Jesus took our place!

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--
Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Mother Teresa's own words shows that she did not have the peace true believers have in Christ Jesus.
Mother Teresa had another Jesus, the Catholic's Jesus.

Did Jesus really think that God was no longer there for him? In his heart, He knew that God was there. In the same way, Mother Teresa can write her doubts about God, but in her heart she knew that God was there. If she really felt that God abandoned her, she would have also abandoned her dedication of helping the poor. By the way, Mother Teresa went through the same experience as St. John of the Cross. I find that interesting.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of Mother Teresa, a lot of people converted to Christianity. Christ said to love our neighbors, which is what she did. Christ also said not to judge them.

Wrong. Christ never said not to judge. This is a myth and a fallacy. See my blog post. Judge Not!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
A son and daughter of God will not sit around doing nothing. With the Holy Spirit, they will do great things. To people who are blind, they only see "good works," but to those who see, it is the Spirit of God accomplishing the impossible for only with God are all things possible. The son and daughter of God do not sit around doing nothing. It is amazing what God can accomplish through one person like Mother Teresa.

John 14:12 Otherwise believe for the very works' sake. Amen, amen I say to you, he that believeth in me, the works that I do, he also shall do; and greater than these shall he do.

Wrong. Christ never said not to judge. This is a myth and a fallacy. See my blog post. Judge Not!

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you shall be forgiven.

These are Jesus' words taken from the Bible. So, if He did not say this, then who did?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Because of Mother Teresa, a lot of people converted to Christianity.
Maybe.
But becoming a follower of Christ is all that matters. Getting your name on the Roman Catholic Church's membership list doesn't gain you anything.

Christ said to love our neighbors, which is what she did. Christ also said not to judge them. God is the only judge. How does one love their neighbors. With Mother Teresa, she loved her neighbors by dedicating her life to the poor. It did not matter what religious beliefs the poor held. She built hundreds of shelters, orphanages, and hospices to care for the elderly, the orphan, the poor, the homeless, and the sick.
That also describes Buddhism.
I really don't care what she does. If it is not because of faith in Christ, it's meaningless.
Romans 14:23, "Everything that does not come from faith is sin."
Isaiah 64:6, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags"
The literal translation of Isaiah 64:6 is "menstrual garments". If that grosses you out, then Isaiah has made his point. All these "good works" of Mother Teresa are like putting her tampon on display and proudly giving that to God. If this was not done out of faith in Christ, it's both sin and nasty to God.

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you shall be forgiven.
These are Jesus' words taken from the Bible. So, if He did not say this, then who did?
And more often than not the people quoting this verse are judging the people they're trying to judge, LOL...

This just means in a nutshell, "be treated as you want to be treated". You can judge a person's Biblical comments but still not treat them like dirt.

By the way we're to also test the Spirits, John in Revelation commends the church in Ephesus for their discernment and judgement of false Apostolic teachings.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I really wish you would listen to yourself, Anastacia

1. Your answer to my question about how do you know what MT believes is "I know because I know"

2. Your answer to my claim that you are making the mistake of claiming that every Catholic believes the same thing is "Catholics are wrong"

3. I asked for prayer and you reject my request for your own agenda.

In the previous post, you claim the MT's errors in theology are due to catholic doctrine taught to her - she is a nun and therefore must only know Catholic doctrine. I said - why do you think MT has an authority as a theologian - in essence, why is MT held to a higher standard for her understanding of theology than any other Catholic - your response: "To be saved by the Lord Jesus Christ......NO ONE has to be an authority on theology, nor an authority of anything!"

None of your responses even make sense. It is as if you were answering your own questions - questions in your head.

It's like me saying: "Jesus came to teach us how to love more fully"
You respond: "That is a lie! Show me some scripture"
I respond: "Jesus is God"

You are so wrapped up in your hatred for Catholicism that you cannot even engage in a basic, reason based conversation. I am sure you will feel insulted by my post - it seems to be your only defense against the reality of your illogical posts. All I want is to have a conversation with you, but it is like wanting to pet a wolverine - you bite erratically.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe.
But becoming a follower of Christ is all that matters. Getting your name on the Roman Catholic Church's membership list doesn't gain you anything.

So let's see.....

You claim that Mother Teresa is practically a universalist - denying Christ is the only way AND she was only concerned about converting people to Catholicism, rather than Christ?

That also describes Buddhism.

Did Christ ever say that "Christianity is entirely different from anything you have ever heard of before and if there are the slightest similarities in your theology with other religions or secular ideas than you are a heretic"? All truth is God's truth.

I really don't care what she does. If it is not because of faith in Christ, it's meaningless.

So if she doesn't profess what you want to hear - everything she thinks, feels, and does is meaningless? Christ said "If they are not against us, they are for us"

So, volunteering in the biggest slum on Earth your whole life has nothing to do with faith?

Isaiah 64:6, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags"

What was MT trying to gain? She sure went overboard if she was simply trying to work her way to Heaven - she could have simply gone to daily Mass and been accused of doing the same by people like you.

And more often than not the people quoting this verse are judging the people they're trying to judge, LOL...
This just means in a nutshell, "be treated as you want to be treated". You can judge a person's Biblical comments but still not treat them like dirt.

Oh boy, who is re-interpreting scripture to support their own agenda now? What happened to the Bible being CLEAR?

By the way we're to also test the Spirits, John in Revelation commends the church in Ephesus for their discernment and judgement of false Apostolic teachings.

Yep. Any church that has adopted the practice of judging rather than practicing their sanctification by loving God and others is engaged in false teachings

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
So let's see.....

You claim that Mother Teresa is practically a universalist - denying Christ is the only way AND she was only concerned about converting people to Catholicism, rather than Christ?
From the interviews, her books, and her statements, it certainly appears she doesn't believe the work of Christ.

Did Christ ever say that "Christianity is entirely different from anything you have ever heard of before and if there are the slightest similarities in your theology with other religions or secular ideas than you are a heretic"? All truth is God's truth.
My point was that "good people that do good things" describes many religions which don't do so because of Christ. MT is no different... I don't care what works she does, if she doesn't profess Christ, it doesn't matter.
Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So if she doesn't profess what you want to hear - everything she thinks, feels, and does is meaningless? Christ said "If they are not against us, they are for us"
It's not what I want to hear that matters, it's what God hears. He'll see her as a sinner deserving of death unless Christ intercedes for her, and as Christ himself said and I quoted above, works don't matter.

So, volunteering in the biggest slum on Earth your whole life has nothing to do with faith?
She certainly had faith in something but it's painfully clear the faith Paul was talking about is faith in CHRIST.

Oh boy, who is re-interpreting scripture to support their own agenda now? What happened to the Bible being CLEAR?
Read the context. Instead of looking at it out of context, read the context. "Do unto others" is the theme of this part of his sermon.

Yep. Any church that has adopted the practice of judging rather than practicing their sanctification by loving God and others is engaged in false teachings
Revelation 2:2, "I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false"
Commended for questioning the claims of people.