Bible = 'Books.'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough I wont respond to your posts..
Good. Until you learn how to communicate without talking down to them with loaded questions and statements, I would appreciate you not talking at all.

I simply don't put up with that garbage.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Let me check my understanding... If something is called "holy" the it is "in a sense" become an idol? Does that go for all things?

Do you want to put that to the test?

Exo 3:5. Was the ground an idol?
Exo 19:6. Was that a whole nation of idols?
Exo 22:31. Were these men idols?
Exo 28:2. Were aaron's clothes an idol?

My point just because God called something holy doesn't mean it is an idol.

Exactly right. What God calls Holy is Holy. We worship Jesus Christ because He alone is worthy of worship. All else are idols and lies, and cults.

Stranger

Reactions: prashanthd

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is Gods word copyright

Attachments

• bible coypright.JPG
    bible coypright.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point just because God called something holy doesn't mean it is an idol.

You called today's bible holy, not God.

Now answer this. Are all versions of the bible holy?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You called today's bible holy, not God.

Now answer this. Are all versions of the bible holy?

Clear your plate of the things I have put before you and maybe I will answer your question.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clear your plate of the things I have put before you and maybe I will answer your question.

I don't need your answers. Your reluctance to respond is an answer in itself.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When one makes something and Idol in there heart, it is very easy to tread on what they consider "sacred" ground, that is why it says.

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
1Jn 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Reactions: Job

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think I may even take that a bit further... there is the scripture which says:- John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
Is it too far a reach to say , that , as we wait upon the Lord, and the Holy Ghost "soaks us" in the living word...that we have everything of God's word within us, because we have HIM within our spirit. If Jesus Christ is the living word, and we are joined to Him...we also must become the living word..through Him who dwells within. ( = one of the reasons that you could share the Good News with the friends wife..without a bible...the life of Christ ministered to her via the living word within. )
What do you think? Reaching too far?
Amen

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

We are all given teh same Spirit, this one

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Some make Him a trophy and put Him up on a shelf, never to be used again, others,

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Because He is Gods. other "best" gift to man, but as I said, most prefer that what is second best.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So few let Him in, and those who do, few let Him any further than teh lounge.

Reactions: Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

We are all given teh same Spirit, this one

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Some make Him a trophy and put Him up on a shelf, never to be used again, others,

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Because He is Gods. other "best" gift to man, but as I said, most prefer that what is second best.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So few let Him in, and those who do, few let Him any further than teh lounge.
Just wonderful. the whole lot. I really hope people READ it, but also seek understanding from above, if they don't have it yet...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a spiritual book, which can only be interpreted spiritually.

I do agree that it is a spirituak book and can be interpeted spiritually, but that's not to say there isn't a literal meaning as well. Of course, spiritual meaning will always be more important. However at times its important to first undertand the literal before trying to grasp the spiritual.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do agree that it is a spirituak book and can be interpeted spiritually, but that's not to say there isn't a literal meaning as well. Of course, spiritual meaning will always be more important. However at times its important to first undertand the literal before trying to grasp the spiritual.

Amen. Totally agree. I see it as having been written firstly spiritually, from God to His people...and wider, to all of humanity and to anyone who wishes God to open their understand so He can hear Him speak to them...but we know not many respond to this (ie His) invitation.

This morning as I was doing some gardening I was thinking about this...and realized that I read my bible, and enjoy it, yet I know that every time I open my bible, I am saying to myself - "Will God speak something personally to my today."
( we live by every proceeding word from His mouth..not only by what has already been spoken! ) So I find that I am ( unconsciously) always reading my bible 'expectantly.' Waiting to hear His voice. Like I said the other day, we know we are always reading in the bible what God has said....but we should also be reading to hear what He is saying... today.

God is good.

Reactions: FHII

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's only paper and ink.

No, brother! Let the paper and ink of the Bible tell us what it is. Is it paper and ink or more than that?

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16 ESV).​

'Breathed out by God' is theopneustos and that is what God considers the Scripture (Bible) to be.

In the early centuries after Christ it was not paper and ink but vellum/parchment and papyrus to write on.

So, according to God, the Scripture is not just paper and ink but has a special dimension to it. Being 'breathed out by God', it comes from the perfect and holy God who does not lie. I'm talking about the Bible in its original manuscripts.

Oz

Reactions: prashanthd

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, brother! Let the paper and ink of the Bible tell us what it is. Is it paper and ink or more than that?

I never said the scriptures were worthless. I said believing it is some sort of holy object turns it into a idol. If I thought the scriptures had no meaning I wouldn't be quoting them.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God considers the Scripture (Bible) to be.

Here we go mixing things to make it "all" so important. Scripture is one thing teh bible another, The bible contains some what is considered "scripture" but that does not make teh whole bible scripture, and no God does not consider teh bible Scripture, you see He sent us His son, who went back to God so that God could give us "all" teh Holy Gost to teach us all, but again, men choose second best because of his carnal nature.

Mat_17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

So many stuying so few listening.

Reactions: Helen and Job

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to say a few things I believe about the Bible for discussion:

1. I believe the Bible is God's "user's manual" for us. Its basically our guide on how to live our life and prepare for the hereafter. Its good instruction for our flesh-man and our spiritual man. Key scripture: 2 Tim 3:16.

2. I believe the Bible is correct.
And when I say that I mean free from error. I believe it was divinely inspired. Key scripture: 2 Peter 1:20-21.

3. I believe the Bible is the ultimate judge as to whether doctrine is correct. In saying this I am not claiming that traditions are always invalid, dreams are invalid or the voices you hear in your head are invalid. But I am saying if the Bible says they are wrong or go against what the Bible says, you should be very wary. Key scriptures: 1 John 4:1, Acts 17:11.

4. We can enjoy verses and chapters as a easy reference, but they aren't part of the original. Who doesn't love the irony of John 6:66? I do believe God ordained the devisions into chapters and verses. But when we quote a verse... It must be in context. I have been burned badly by this and I am sure I am not the only one. Key scripture: Ecc 12:13.

5. Every word, verse and chapter is equally important.
6. The Bible is the Word of God.
7. The Bible is a like a roadsign pointing us to God.
8. Learning the Bible is of utmost importance.

Those are teasers. I'll just stick with the first 4 in conversation for now.

Addendum: One thing I will not discuss is a debate of Bible versions. I will discuss why, but later....

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'd like to say a few things I believe about the Bible for discussion:

Very nicely laid out post. I find nothing there that I can greatly disagree with :)

As I mentioned much earlier...my main beef is with some people who seem to have a greater 'relationship' with their bibles than they do with God Himself. They can trot out verses to back their 'arguments'...but they themselves seem devoid of the 'spirit of the word'...
We remember how Elizabeth came to meet and greet Mary ..Elizabeth being already pregnant with John. She says " the babe leaped within me...." Well that is my best way of showing what the word does to me when God 'jumps' right into a page as I am reading the leather bound bible in my hand..the page becomes alive and "the babe/spirit within me leaps."
Maybe I have just met Christians that use the bible like a hammer to beat other Christians down with when trying to prove a point...and often say- " well this is what the bible says"
My answer is usually, "well this may be what the bible say, but it is not the only thing that the bible is saying." ( each verse speaks in many levels depending on what the Spirit of God is saying to us at the time. ) There is much more within a verse than the legalistic dead letter of the word , that some people use.
The bible is a book that is intended to bring life...but some use it legalistically, draining the life right out of it.
It may be at that point the word spoken by God...but it no longer contains the Spirit of God's heart when used like that.

(Just as I am sure we have all been in meetings, and if we are honest can admit , that some preachers would have just as much "anointing" if they stopped preaching and recited- "Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall..."
When the bible is used as legalism , without the spirit or heart of God...it becomes just like that.)

Does anything I say here 'witness' or make sense to anyone? :)

BTW, I do not think that every single word in the bible is correct.#2
But I do believe that God is God indeed, and even if there is any translation errors,( or archaic words that we do not use now) the spirit and intent of God message is totally correct. Because it is a book of God's Spirit....The Spirit and message of the bible is correct.
Maybe that is what you mean .

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Very nicely laid out post. I find nothing there that I can greatly disagree with :)

As I mentioned much earlier...my main beef is with some people who seem to have a greater 'relationship' with their bibles than they do with God Himself. They can trot out verses to back their 'arguments'...but they themselves seem devoid of the 'spirit of the word'...
We remember how Elizabeth came to meet and greet Mary ..Elizabeth being already pregnant with John. She says " the babe leaped within me...." Well that is my best way of showing what the word does to me when God 'jumps' right into a page as I am reading the leather bound bible in my hand..the page becomes alive and "the babe/spirit within me leaps."
Maybe I have just met Christians that use the bible like a hammer to beat other Christians down with when trying to prove a point...and often say- " well this is what the bible says"
My answer is usually, "well this may be what the bible say, but it is not the only thing that the bible is saying." ( each verse speaks in many levels depending on what the Spirit of God is saying to us at the time. ) There is much more within a verse than the legalistic dead letter of the word , that some people use.
The bible is a book that is intended to bring life...but some use it legalistically, draining the life right out of it.
It may be at that point the word spoken by God...but it no longer contains the Spirit of God's heart when used like that.

(Just as I am sure we have all been in meetings, and if we are honest can admit , that some preachers would have just as much "anointing" if they stopped preaching and recited- "Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall..."
When the bible is used as legalism , without the spirit or heart of God...it becomes just like that.)

But I do believe that God is God indeed, and even if there is any translation errors,( or archaic words that we do not use now) the spirit and intent of God message is totally correct. Because it is a book of God's Spirit....The Spirit and message of the bible is correct.
Maybe that is what you mean .
Amazing post 'ByGrace' filled with Godly Wisdom.......Wonderful reading !

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have actually been thinking and trevailing about this. That is, that you are having these debates.

They aren't happening here on this board, I presume. I haven't heard their side. I'm sorry, but I can't comment.

I can say something about legalism in that I can be somewhat of one. I believe the bible says what it means. Yet, with grace comes an addendum. And so things get muddled.

I can't help you with that because I don't fully comphrehend what is going on. I think you have great character and have good understanding and a great love of the truth.

But I gotta hear the other side.

We remember how Elizabeth came to meet and greet Mary ..Elizabeth being already pregnant with John. She says " the babe leaped within me...."

The KJ says John was filled with the HG when he was in Liz's belly. Love that!

Yes, to me...

I didn't say that! Yes, I believe that, but I haven't said that yet.

To say every word is correct is a big thing. More or less, there are 783,000 words in the Bible.

Mat 4:4 and Luke 4:4 (more verse irony) state that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Context tends to correct small errors. Not all the time, but sonetimes.

But still I must say.... If you believe not every word is correct, why? And what proof can you offer? Not a challenge to you mygrace. But more of a guidelining question.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Bygrace to add

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Thats why Jesus said,

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

God bless you for hanging on so few do.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Bygrace to add

Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Thats why Jesus said,

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

God bless you for hanging on so few do.
Hi, there is also the issue, that if every word is truth in the Bible, how do we then account for the different accounts, given in different gospels describing the same event? As an example, there are 3 differing accounts of Resurrection morning. Which one did The Holy Spirit inspire?