Bible = 'Books.'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sword started a thread about the common ground of things that we all can agree upon.
Which has got me thinking about the things that we don’t seem to agree upon! :)

If we are honest with each other and ourselves, many things that we “hold as to what we each believe , or don’t believe…is nothing more than our personal opinion of how we choose to interpret scripture.

( but many people seem to have a real problem with believing or agreeing, that they mostly have is "opinions”)

We see discussions on here about rapture…which doesn’t really matter much, because it will happen , or not happen no matter what we choose to believe strongly upon!!

We see discussions between Catholic and Protestants …again, it doesn’t really matter, because when all our backs are against the wall…everyone who believes in God regardless of our strong arguments, will find ourselves side by side in the very same war…against the enemy of God.

Another hot issue it seems, is the one I am starting this thread about.

The Bible..which meaning is 'Books.'
It may mean different things to different people..but the real meaning of the word bible, is books. Nothing more, nothing less.

My own persuasion and opinion is that it is a book because that is what Bible means.

The leather that holds within it pages with black and red marks on it…is not HOLY
of itself....it's name, bible, is not holy.
A great majority of Christians seem to look at the book itself as something holy. As I happened to say in another thread last week….many Christians that I know elevate the bible to the fourth part of the Godhead!!:rolleyes:

* I LOVE the bible…I have about 8 of them, different translations.. every room of the house.

I know that if bibles were taken away or banned, I could still live by the word "written and memorized" which is within me…they can never take that away from me.

I do believe that when God first gave the bible books , He inspired the men who wrote down His words. So I do obviously believe that the Bible was “ God breathed.” It holds God's words, His will, and His plan for mankind through Jesus Christ…it is a love story, and even a slight tiny glimpse into heaven.

That said…it can only “come alive” to us as God quickens and breaths afresh on the pages as we read. It is not alive of itself...yet it is a living book when God’s Holy Spirit anoints the pages and then it “speaks” to us.

It is a spiritual book, which can only be interpreted spiritually.

I am sure we all know many people who have read the books from Genesis -Revelation …and it is just 'a book' to them. Just information, just history. It is only holy, *when GOD* makes it holy with His own breath. It is not an entity, and not elevated to the godhead as some choose to believe.

I am sure many here feel very differently and hold the leather, paper and ink, in their hand as something sacred. I hold it as something precious, very precious….but only “alive” and holy when God is whispering ’through it’.

I hope we can talk about how we each view the bible, without any bad attitudes , if we can’t, this Conversation will be of no interest to anyone.
Maybe you can even get me to change my " opinion". :D

May God bless us all with much insight into His Word and His heart.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
First, I should appreciate you for posting this as a thread.

It may mean different things to different people..but the real meaning of the word bible, is books. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Oxford Dictionary tells me -
The Christian scriptures, consisting of the Old and New Testaments.
The origin of the word Bible is from Latin/Greek biblia meaning ‘(the) books’.

It is not the real meaning, but the origin of the word means 'books'.

I have another Dictionary from Princeton University which says, Bible meaning The Christian holy book.

A great majority of Christians seem to look at the book itself as something holy.

That is good. Why not? Sorry, I do not consider the book of Bible as equal to God, though.

2 Peter 1:20-21
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

That said…it can only “come alive” to us as God quickens and breaths afresh on the pages as we read. It is not alive of itself

:(
I do not think you are in the right perspective when you are reading/studying the Bible.

Proverbs 2
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

I do not agree completely with the latter half. There are many things in the Bible which can be understood by any person.

For Example:
Proverbs 9:9
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

I am sure we all know many people who have read the books from Genesis -Revelation …and it is just 'a book' to them. Just information, just history. It is only holy, *when GOD* makes it holy with His own breath.

2 Timothy 3:15
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The word holy is from greek word Hieros
meaning
sacred, consecrated to the deity, pertaining to God

holy when God is whispering ’through it’.

:(

Proverbs 8
1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

Matthew 4
23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Proverbs 1
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

I think people might give priority or importance to the Bible because:

Matthew 4
4 But he answered and said,It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Psalm 19
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

All glory to God.

Reactions: Helen and Job

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
do not agree completely with the latter half. There are many things in the Bible which can be understood by any person.

For Example:
Proverbs 9:9
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
yet i bet any other example you might come up with will share with this one, that even these deal with the spiritual at least once removed, "instruction" and "wisdom" etc. Iow it can be understood literally, but it is still not dealing with the material, "insert screw into newly drilled hole," or more directly "in order to get your way, manip soandso by doing suchandsuch;" fleshly iow. You would struggle to interpret the passage to personal advantage

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I think people might give priority or importance to the Bible because:

Matthew 4
4 But he answered and said,It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
...not recognizing that even the Bible details how writings are corrupted by scribes, yes. Word can only come from the Mouth of God, and it is no less accessible to us than Scripture is

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Very good post. I enjoyed the interaction.
I liked all of it, but only quoted this small part here.
It says "which are able to make thee wise." It doesn't say that it will make us wise..it is able to..if we yield to it.
Like I said in the OP " maybe you can get me to change my opinion...I may be old, but never too old to learn from the Lord, through my brothers and sisters. :)

bbyrd009 said:- "Word can only come from the Mouth of God, and it is no less accessible to us than Scripture is.."

Amen. Hebrews 1 says God " Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds."
God has not stopped speaking just because we have a literal bible in our hands...He speaks to each one of us all day long..sometimes we are tune-in, sometimes we are not. "Deep calleth to deep...." Our souls respond even when I mind does not. He is with us.

hmm, but Scripture is "God~Breathed" though; what say you now?

I agree that they were indeed "God breathed"...but I still contend that we do not "hear Him" unless our soul is anointed by His Spirit to do so.
Our ears 'should be' , but are not always, open and tuned to His Spirit. (well yours may be, but mine aren't :oops: )
Bless you....H

Reactions: Sword and bbyrd009

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India

bbyrd009 said:- "Word can only come from the Mouth of God, and it is no less accessible to us than Scripture is.."

Amen. Hebrews 1 says God " Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds."
God has not stopped speaking just because we have a literal bible in our hands...He speaks to each one of us all day long..sometimes we are tune-in, sometimes we are not. "Deep calleth to deep...." Our souls respond even when I mind does not. He is with us.

I agree that they were indeed "God breathed"...but I still contend that we do not "hear Him" unless our soul is anointed by His Spirit to do so.
Our ears 'should be' , but are not always, open and tuned to His Spirit. (well yours may be, but mine aren't :oops: )
Bless you....H

ByGrace, you were wrong in understanding that 'bb' was referring to Heb 1. Please read again.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ByGrace, you were wrong in understanding that 'bb' was referring to Heb 1. Please read again.

:D Ahh...but maybe I chose to believe that he was saying it that way! No biggie...
I have a small brain, and not much into "heavy" discussions :)

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is a tool that people use to get a better understanding of God and who He is. While I believe the scriptures are God inspired, I don't believe the bible itself is anything more than a reference guide. If you put it through a paper shredder and then burnt it, nothing bad will happen to you. You might burn yourself playing with fire, but that's about it.

If the bible as a whole were sacred or holy, it wouldn't be sitting on the shelves at Walmart and it wouldn't be translated into hundreds of languages and versions.

Just my opinion...

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is a tool that people use to get a better understanding of God and who He is. While I believe the scriptures are God inspired, I don't believe the bible itself is anything more than a reference guide. If you put it through a paper shredder and then burnt it, nothing bad will happen to you. You might burn yourself playing with fire, but that's about it.

If the bible as a whole were sacred or holy, it wouldn't be sitting on the shelves at Walmart and it wouldn't be translated into hundreds of languages and versions.

Just my opinion...

Brother, I would encourage you to rethink that. Just because Walmart sells it or it is translated doesn't mean it is not holy and sacred. What makes it holy and sacred is it is the written Word of God.

And, if you put it in a paper shredder knowing it is the Bible, I wouldn't want to be you.

I'm a Vietnam era veteran. True story...we were sitting around back then smoking some weed. But, we ran out of papers. One of the men said, no problem. And he pulled out his New Testament that they used to issue every man. Because those pages were fine, he ripped some out and began rolling a joint, lit it, took a toke, and passed it around. When it came to me...I said no way...no way man. Even in my most rebellious years, the Bible was holy and sacred.

Do you think God considered this attitude toward His written Word? I do. And I guess that is just my opinon. But Jesus did say, "It is written".

Stranger

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword started a thread about the common ground of things that we all can agree upon.
Which has got me thinking about the things that we don’t seem to agree upon! :)

If we are honest with each other and ourselves, many things that we “hold as to what we each believe , or don’t believe…is nothing more than our personal opinion of how we choose to interpret scripture.

( but many people seem to have a real problem with believing or agreeing, that they mostly have is "opinions”)

We see discussions on here about rapture…which doesn’t really matter much, because it will happen , or not happen no matter what we choose to believe strongly upon!!

We see discussions between Catholic and Protestants …again, it doesn’t really matter, because when all our backs are against the wall…everyone who believes in God regardless of our strong arguments, will find ourselves side by side in the very same war…against the enemy of God.

Another hot issue it seems, is the one I am starting this thread about.

The Bible..which meaning is 'Books.'

My own persuasion and opinion is that it is a book because that is what Bible means.

The leather that holds within it pages with black and red marks on it…is not HOLY
of itself....it's name, bible, is not holy.
A great majority of Christians seem to look at the book itself as something holy. As I happened to say in another thread last week….many Christians that I know elevate the bible to the fourth part of the Godhead!!:rolleyes:

* I LOVE the bible…I have about 8 of them, different translations.. every room of the house.

I know that if bibles were taken away or banned, I could still live by the word "written and memorized" which is within me…they can never take that away from me.

I do believe that when God first gave the bible books , He inspired the men who wrote down His words. So I do obviously believe that the Bible was “ God breathed.” It holds God's words, His will, and His plan for mankind through Jesus Christ…it is a love story, and even a slight tiny glimpse into heaven.

That said…it can only “come alive” to us as God quickens and breaths afresh on the pages as we read. It is not alive of itself...yet it is a living book when God’s Holy Spirit anoints the pages and then it “speaks” to us.

I am sure we all know many people who have read the books from Genesis -Revelation …and it is just 'a book' to them. Just information, just history. It is only holy, *when GOD* makes it holy with His own breath. It is not an entity, and not elevated to the godhead as some choose to believe.

I am sure many here feel very differently and hold the leather, paper and ink, in their hand as something sacred. I hold it as something precious, very precious….but only “alive” and holy when God is whispering ’through it’.

I hope we can talk about how we each view the bible, without any bad attitudes , if we can’t, this Conversation will be of no interest to anyone.
Maybe you can even get me to change my " opinion". :D

May God bless us all with much insight into His Word and His heart.

Well, I'd like to focus on two parts of this. If you want a comment (Bygrace or anyone else) let me know.

A great majority of Christians seem to look at the book itself as something holy. As I happened to say in another thread last week….many Christians that I know elevate the bible to the fourth part of the Godhead

Really? Who? Actually I do look at it as holy. Not because of the materials made to construct it, but because of the knowledge it holds. I don't trust oral tradition, but if God had made audio CD's or mp3's, would be just as happy. It just so happens that the invention of writing was available at the time.

I have a Kindle. The Holy Bible is on it. No ink and no paper. Lot of silicon, plastic, metal and whatever other things make a computer.

You didn't come out and say it, but you hinted around the idea that people worship the Bible. I'd like to know how so? I can't relate to the "4th part of the godhead" comment. But.... Well what is it that people do with or treat the Bible as or whatever else that suggests that?

Next....

Ok. Can you explain that? What exactly happens when the Holy Spirit annoints us when we read the Bible as compared to when he doesn't? Is it something like a spiritual high or orgasm? I am dead serious and not trying to be a wise guy. We are adults. And perhaps it really is like that: a feeling of euphoria.

Or do we simply speak in tongues? Don't know.

But I do agree with you. I am just wondering how we are to know its really the Holy Spirit. We would have to understand exactly what the HS is then.

is a spiritual book, which can only be interpreted spiritually.

I also only partially agree with this, but I will save it for later.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you put it through a paper shredder and then burnt it, nothing bad will happen to you. You might burn yourself playing with fire, but that's about it.
This I agree with.

the bible as a whole were sacred or holy, it wouldn't be sitting on the shelves at Walmart and it wouldn't be translated into hundreds of languages and versions

This I don't agree with. The knowledge and philosophy of the Bible is what makes it Holy and that it would be available to all hasn't cheapened it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You didn't come out and say it, but you hinted around the idea that people worship the Bible. I'd like to know how so? I can't relate to the "4th part of the godhead" comment. But.... Well what is it that people do with or treat the Bible as or whatever else that suggests that?

Thanks for response.
All I can say is, I am ( like many of us probably) also on a different Site...two people on that site test my patience somedays. They don't much talk about the Lords dealing with them ( inwardly) or how the Lord enriches their life...but if you know what I mean,( but maybe you don't,) "they preach the bible" rather than preaching Christ and His life.
They post " the bible , the bible, the bible" it sounds more "front and centre" than their living relationship with the Lord Himself.
Hence my quip about- "elevating the bible to the godhead"... Sorry if you found this distasteful. Needless to say, with them it is true. To my shame, I have to say that some days "it get into it" with them over it!!

What exactly happens when the Holy Spirit annoints us when we read the Bible as compared to when he doesn't? Is it something like a spiritual high or orgasm? I am dead serious and not trying to be a wise guy

Okay, I guess because of our different backgrounds we each have "christian-speak", or christianese. Different phrases we use etc.
I can only speak as I find.
I have been on this walk with Father for 53 years now..and the way He deals with me is:-
I read the bible, enjoy it..as we were saying the other day on some thread..I love Hebrews, love Romans, love Samuel , Kings and Chronicles....I totally enjoy and get much blessed times while reading them...and , so there I am, reading along happily ..and then suddenly a verse or three or four verses "hit me"...they suddenly come alive, anointed by the Lord. Sometime I cry....depending on what He is personally saying right into my heart in those moments, ...sometime I am chastened ..sometime lifted up in worship and thanksgiving..
That is what I mean when I say..it is a good book, it was written by holy men moved upon by God...but it only come truly "alive" when The Holy Spirit highlights a verse or verses, and is speaking right in to my inner soul.
That to me is " hearing from God"... I know He also speaks to our spirit in a 'still small voice'...He can speak in anointed dreams. He can also speak in an audible voice......but in my own life , mostly He speaks through the bible and anoints whatever He wishes to draw my attention to...be it comfort, reproof, or revelation of something new that I had never seen before.

But that is and has been "my experience"...I sure don't require it of other...we may all "hear" differently?
That is how God has worked in my life since the sixties!! Just reading the bible " to me" is not God speaking , it is what God has spoken.
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceedeth from the mouth of God."
We cannot live on yesterdays manna, it has to be freshly gathered.

Okay, how do others on the site , 'hear from the Lord' in their lives?
I'm listening...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sword

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I can say is, I am ( like many of us probably) also on a different Site...two people on that site test my patience somedays.

My goodness. I am sorry. I am not on any other site. Just this one. But. Ok. I understand what you are getting at.

I am one to say, "the bible says..." and then get upset when peopke completely disregard it. Its hapoened twice in the last week by peopke I didn't think would do so.

Thr dry word of the bible is wisdom. It must be understood. Then applied. Then comprehended as a whole (meaning you must look at what happened when you acted upilon the understanding).

Okay, I guess because of our different backgrounds we each have "christian-speak", or christianese. Different phrases we use etc.

Actually. That makes sense...

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The knowledge and philosophy of the Bible is what makes it Holy and that it would be available to all hasn't cheapened it.

It's not my intent to make the scriptures appear cheap and worthless. What I'm referring to is the binding that holds those scriptures together.

When we elevate it to where it's referred to as holy or sacred, it has in a sense become an idol.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's not my intent to make the scriptures appear cheap and worthless. What I'm referring to is the binding that holds those scriptures together.

When we elevate it ( the book itself) to where it's referred to as holy or sacred, it has in a sense become an idol.

Totally....I guess that was my whole point. That is the delema I have with a couple of people. Their relationship with the bible itself seems to have been elevated to the level of their relationship to the Lord !!! Our ' love affair ' with our bible shouldn't be equal to our love affair with God.

Reactions: Sword and Job

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I had a friend who was a JW. when we used to travel we would often get into discussion about the bible and the things of God ,and at times his wife was with us. I went over to his house one day, and he had to drop the kids at school, and when he left his wife asked me if I could tell her about Jesus, so I did, Never mentioned the bible. At teh end she said to me, thank you for all you said, I know what you say is true, my husband only ever speaks about the bible but you speak from experience, but also everything you have said, was told to me by another Christian who use to do my hair.

And here is the issue, you read teh bible and you know teh bible and "about" Jesus but you dont know Jesus. To have a relationship one must talk to and listen to one another. There is a big difference between "knowing" someone and knowing "about" some one. If you know someone than they know you, if you only know "about" someone than there is a very good chance they dont know you. Hence

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

They did all these works yet dont know Jesus and it was there works not His.

You have teh choice to know Jesus or know the bible, one requires you to read a book, teh other requires you to put away teh book and listen and learn for Gods best. Jesus. Your choosing, only one gives life, and it is not the bible,

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we elevate it to where it's referred to as holy or sacred, it has in a sense become an idol.
Romans 1:2 ans 1 Tim 3:15 refer to the "holy scripture".

Reactions: prashanthd

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our ' love affair ' with our bible shouldn't be equal to our love affair with God.
Is there a reason to separate the two?

God is God. The Bible is what God says. Its his testiment. I don't see a separation there.

Reactions: prashanthd