Bible = 'Books.'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But still I must say.... If you believe not every word is correct, why? And what proof can you offer? Not a challenge to you mygrace. But more of a guidelining question.

Oh I just mean the human factor. Man's error while translating. Like it or not we all filter everything through our belief system. I find it hard to believe that all those translators did not also filter what they believed through what they were translating.
Then we have the archaic words which have changed meaning over the years.
They have changed it now..but in my old bible it says:- 1611 KJV
John 20 v4 It says John prevented Peter. Some would read it as John stopped Peter..
NOW it says in the KJV :- “So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and
came first to the sepulchre.”

In the context of this verses, the word “prevent” means “to come before” or “to precede”. Even those who criticize the “archaic” language of the King James Bible know that this was the meaning of the word in 1611.
That's all I mean when I say not every word is correct...we have man influence and the changing of the meanings of words to contend with. abut, that said, God Himself is never hindered at all in conveying the intent of His word to us. He bypasses our brains and speaks to our spirit.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi, there is also the issue, that if every word is truth in the Bible, how do we then account for the different accounts, given in different gospels describing the same event? As an example, there are 3 differing accounts of Resurrection morning. Which one did The Holy Spirit inspire?

I put that down to the Elephant concept.
< an elephant is a funny long thing with a hole in the middle.> ( trunk)
< no, and elephant is a big thing like a tree> ( leg)
<no an elephant is a long scruffy skinny thing > (tail)
Only the person standing back and viewing the whole picture can see the elephant clearly.
Many times I think arguments come because we are looking at the 'picture' for where we happen to be on the pathway Homewards.
We have all had different dealings..we are all at different seasons.

So..to me when I read different accounts....I believe they are telling how the person saw it and believed it to be. Not wrong or right, just different.
But, that is just my two cents.
Now I really must head to bed before I drop!! :)

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I see it, if you're right with the Lord, it doesn't matter which bible you read, He'll give you the understanding you need to continue in His footsteps.

Reactions: pia and mjrhealth

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Only the person standing back and viewing the whole picture can see the elephant clearly.
Exactly, and that one is Jesus.....I would take His word over anything else, any day of the week. has never failed me yet :) Have a sweet sleep