Bible is not important

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
No scripture is that important, God isn't contained in a book. Scripture is just a good guide, nothing more. Don't let's create an idol out of it. Conscience is the one and infallible guide. People who value the bible more than conscience are religious fanatics, no different from Islamic jihadis/terrorists.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apart from God's revelation found in Scripture our own understanding of origins, salvation, nature of God/man etc. etc. would descend into deep deep darkness.

Reactions: Redeemed86

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
No scripture is that important, God isn't contained in a book. Scripture is just a good guide, nothing more. Don't let's create an idol out of it. Conscience is the one and infallible guide. People who value the bible more than conscience are religious fanatics, no different from Islamic jihadis/terrorists.

And what is all this reasoning based on?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi elysian!

Scripture is very important for a believer, you are incorrect...the bible says:

2 Timothy 3:16
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

Jesus himself also said in Luke 11
27 And it happened, as He spoke these things, that a certain woman from the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts which nursed You!”
28 But He said, “More than that, blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

John 8:51
Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.”

John 17:14
I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

John 17:17
Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Colossians 1
4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of your love for all the saints; 5 because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, 6 which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 4
4 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Titus 1:9
holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

Hebrews 4
12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Peter 1
22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

1 Peter 2:2
as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,

1 John 2:5
But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.

Revelation 3:8
“I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

Revelation 19
1 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. 13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Shalom!!!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

This is not right. The word of God is a living thing, and powerful!

Hebrews 4:12-13
For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

God spoke the universe into being and He spoke the word for us to know Him and to live by. His spoken word is powerful! when we speak it, we speak with power, also! This cannot be denied or downplayed.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

True, God is not 'contained' in a book. But I have to wonder how many people actually crack open the covers expecting to see God literally dwelling under them.
The book is not God, but it is His letter to us. It is so very important, because without it all we have is ourselves and that 'inner voice' to guide us to His plans. Now while it's true that the Holy Spirit does dwell within us, how many people do you know that listen to their 'small voice', convinced that God is telling them to do things that are just sinful? Scripture is God's way we can be sure the Spirit is the right spirit, that we are living in accordance to His word, His plan. I'd call that pretty important, wouldn't you?

Reactions: Lively Stone

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

Actually for those in the new covenant the scriptures are not to be our guide, HolySpirit is our guide and teacher, the scriptures are some of the text that HolySpirit uses to teach us .

But I think you are right that many do make an idol out of bibles, a good example are KJVO. The pharisees in Jesus' day were much the same. They searched the scriptures because they thought the scriptures contained life and Jesus corrected them that in all their searching they were blind to the fact that the scriptures point to the One who gives life, but the scriptures themselves do not give life.

Many of the bibles today are errant, and many today are ignorant of the history surrounding many of the scripture translations, but if we have HolySpirit teaching us He can reveal these errors. But there are some very good translations available today, I recommend Young's Literal, The Concordant Literal, and Rotherham's emphasized, and for study The Septuagint, and Young's Analytical Concordance.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Did ppl never receive grace before the bible was written down? Most ppl in those times were not literate, bible study was restricted to scholars. So all those ppl were damned?

We know and love God because our conscience points us in his direction.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Did ppl never receive grace before the bible was written down? Most ppl in those times were not literate, bible study was restricted to scholars. So all those ppl were damned?

Part of the grace of God toward us is His written word. We are so far time-wise from the cross, we need the living, breathing word of God! Our consciences don't work well, as they are often seared by sin. God uses Holy Spirit to draw us to Himself, and He works through the word and people who know the word. The word is how we are convicted of sin, and how God speaks to us of Himself.

Those who downplay the Bible are cutting themselves off from God's revelation to them of Himself.

Reactions: Marta

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Did ppl never receive grace before the bible was written down?

Of course they experienced grace, the bible did not exist till much later.

Most ppl in those times were not literate, bible study was restricted to scholars. So all those ppl were damned?

And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth. Acts 17:11

Yet some have a conscience that is numb towards God

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Part of the grace of God toward us is His written word. We are so far time-wise from the cross, we need the living, breathing word of God! Our consciences don't work well, as they are often seared by sin. God uses Holy Spirit to draw us to Himself, and He works through the word and people who know the word. The word is how we are convicted of sin, and how God speaks to us of Himself.

Those who downplay the Bible are cutting themselves off from God's revelation to them of Himself.

Amen. Also, the 'Word of God'...good call. The fact is the "Word" has been around eternally. In the OT God would reveal this Word in different manners...He would speak directly to people or send prophets. But He made it known. In the NT they had OT scripture and after pentecost, the HS. As Jiggy pointed out, even having the HS the Bereans still affirmed what they were told through scripture (Acts 17:11). We have now what the disciples and new believers had back then; both scripture and Spirit. Why on earth would we hamstring ourselves and deliberately dismiss one of the amazing tools our God has given to us. He must have felt it important, or He wouldn't have bothered.

I find it ridiculous how people think just because we respect and honour the bible, that we are worshipping it. When I was dating my husband to be, and he sent me a letter, I loved it, cherished it even, because in it were words that told me how much he loved me. Did I fall in love with the piece of paper, attributing to it powers? Pffft, of course not! But that letter was precious, because I could pull it out over and over again and confirm the love behind it. The Bible is like that...it confirms God's redemptive plans, His very great love for His people. It gives us invaluable advice on how to live...and people, these rules that He gives...they're not so we have to live under a strict rule of law...they're because He knows that by following them and becoming closer to Him, our lives will be more joyful, happy and fruitful. He loves us and wants that for us. The Bible is God's love letter to us...it speaks of the first moment He saw us, of His great future He wants for us, the moments He has spent shepherding, protecting, guiding us. It's His promise to us that He will always be with us, and that nothing will come between us. I mean really, how can that NOT be precious? How can we NOT pour through it? How can we not live by it, when we know it was written with our happiness in view?
The Bible is not God, but it was sent to us by Him. That should be enough, shouldn't it?

Reactions: tomwebster

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The bible is important...particularly for new believers...if they did not read or study the word and went only by the Holy Spirit [without knowledge or understanding the word] they would be lost and end up being so "Spiritually minded that they are no earthly good". Kinda like getting a brand new car but not knowing how to drive... :huh:

It seems to me that elysian is a relatively new believer [I may be wrong] ...are you gonna tell a new believer that the bible ain't important? ...when the word clearly says:

1 Peter 2:2
as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,

Shalom!!!

Reactions: Angelina

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Satan can use the Bible him self and to quote verse this verse that to make his point and some will swallow it hook line and sinker, because he is a very good sales man and he know"s you better than you may know your self.
These people who idolise the Bible will use anything to get you to dance to there tune.
Satan is not afraid of the Bible at all.
The problem is that some use it as a idol. as in they don't know the history of how it came about and will not accepted the reality.
The Bible is a Holy book, but in the wrong hands :(

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Satan can use the Bible him self and to quote verse this verse that to make his point and some will swallow it hook line and sinker, because he is a very good sales man and he know"s you better than you may know your self.
These people who idolise the Bible will use anything to get you to dance to there tune.
The problem is that some use it as a idol. as in they don't know the history of how it came about and will not accepted the reality.
The Bible is a Holy book, but in the wrong hands :(

Can you tell us what the markers are of someone who idolizes the bible? What is their 'tune'?

No one needs to actually know any history of the bible to know the truth. A child can know the truth by his rudimentary reading skills. I think that some make the understanding of truth a lot harder than it is, than God made it for all of us, and they do a disservice to the Body of Christ---something the enemy would so, as he is so very crafty.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Bible is a Holy book, but in the wrong hands

Yes he did...

Matthew 4
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. [sup]2 [/sup]And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. [sup]3 [/sup]Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
[sup]4 [/sup]But He answered and said,“It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
[sup]5 [/sup]Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, [sup]6 [/sup]and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:

‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’
and,‘In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

[sup]7 [/sup]Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”
[sup]8 [/sup]Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. [sup]9 [/sup]And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”
[sup]10[/sup]Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”

If Jesus did not use the word [like a sword, which is part of the Armour of God] to defeat the Devil...he would have been defeated and he wasn't....

I do not think that anyone uses the Word like it is an idol...it isn't...it is alive and active....not dead or speechless

1 Peter 1 says:
[sup]24[/sup] For, “All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
[sup]25[/sup] but the word of the Lord endures forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.

Blessings!!!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Adam heard from God directly. He passed down what he knew til nearly Noah's time. There were prophets such as Enoch, Noah and Abraham who heard directly from God. The point being we are still dependent on God's revealed Word that came through the prophets and apostles and Jesus and were written down for preservation so that men's consciences wouldn't twist God's pure message.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Many Christians risked their lives smuggling bibles into China and other third world countries where Christianity is not permitted. Even today we have bible translators around the world bringing the Good News to those who have never heard it before in their lives. In my country, the bible was translated into the then native tongue, over 100 years ago and most of the pagan natives were saved because of it...Hallelujah!!!

No scripture is that important, God isn't contained in a book. Scripture is just a good guide, nothing more. Don't let's create an idol out of it. Conscience is the one and infallible guide. o scripture is that important, God isn't contained in a book. Scripture is just a good guide, nothing more. Don't let's create an idol out of it. Conscience is the one and infallible guide.

This is an oxymoron...an Idol is anything setup in ones life that opposes God....The bible does not oppose God. It was only by the blood of Christ that ones conscience was ever cleansed in the first place...which is written in the word of God. Hebrews 9:14.

People who value the bible more than conscience are religious fanatics, no different from Islamic jihadis/terrorists.
This is utter rubbish....Islam and Jihad do not believe in Jeshua Ha Mashiach...and I do not think that you believe in the God of the bible either...

Shalom!!!

Reactions: Angelina

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Look, I'm sorry, but ... historically, man has always been a spiritual idiot.

For me personally ... my conscience, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are all that I can trust for guidance.

And the Lord told me some 20 years ago:
"Don't be involved in the 'Which Bible version is the best?' controversy."

And it's a long story, but ... Jesus sent me to evangelize in communist Eastern Europe
(and this was all confirmed by several Spirit-filled Christians, including prophets),

with Bibles, NTs, the "Jesus" movie, 50-page gospel tracts filled with Bible verses, etc. etc.

So, nobody's going to tell me that the Bible is not important ... because basically it's all we have.

PTL ... Thank you, Jesus!

Reactions: Lively Stone