Bible not coming "alive" to me anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @friend of As per your OP, when we see Christ in the Scriptures and make reading and prayerful meditation our priority, then as Helen Lemmel said: '...the things of earth will grow strangely dim / In the light of His glory and grace.'

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In other words, be realistic.

Isaiah 66:1-2 KJV
1) Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2) For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

When I honestly look at myself, and I look at what God is calling me to in His Word, it's not difficult to tremble!

Much love!
@marks Good passage there....

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When i first got saved and started reading the bible, it was so incredible. It was as if every passage spoke out to me. It was like I received messages straight from God and it was like this constantly. But now it's not like that anymore. What can I do? I probably sinned very badly because now the bible doesn't speak to me in that same intimate way. I've tried a lot to change this but it just doesn't. Does this mean the Spirit has left me?

Stop striving and accept the fast He has put you on. Don’t try to force anything. It’s not the time to labor for you when this happens, it’s a time to rest in trust even though He seems to have abandoned you. It might help you a little to read St John of the Cross. If it doesn’t help, just put it down and rest in trust. If you can’t pray or read your Bible, don’t force it. If you can’t pray anything but Lord I miss you and I thirst but I trust whatever You are doing, you do well. If you even just sigh and pray two or three words because you can’t pray right now, you do well.

To keep insisting on trust is what you are being exercised in, and it’s a race of trust, so what more is there to say?

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stop striving and accept the fast He has put you on. Don’t try to force anything. It’s not the time to labor for you when this happens, it’s a time to rest in trust even though He seems to have abandoned you. It might help you a little to read St John of the Cross. If it doesn’t help, just put it down and rest in trust. If you can’t pray or read your Bible, don’t force it. If you can’t pray anything but Lord I miss you and I thirst but I trust whatever You are doing, you do well. If you even just sigh and pray two or three words because you can’t pray right now, you do well.

To keep insisting on trust is what you are being exercised in, and it’s a race of trust, so what more is there to say?

Thank you so much

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Be careful to not lean on your feelings nor your own understanding. You will waver like the wind every time your feelings change. I used to lean on my own understanding, and it led me straight to condemnation all the time. Talk about mental torture.

Lean on Jesus Christ alone, and you will stay firmly rooted in the most secure foundation there is. Then you shouldn't be concerned about whether the Spirit is leaving you, because you are already fixated on Christ, and that is Salvation.

Keep bringing your issues to God, who is more present and infinitely greater than us all. We should all be directing you back to God.
@Rudometkin Proverbs 3.5: "....lean not to thine own understanding..."

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@friend of
Please read this payable carefully...
KJV Luke 11:5-13
5 And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.
8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

There's a couple of things I would like you to notice. First, the neighbor, Jesus said, won't give the loaves because they are friends, but because there's a need. It doesn't matter whether you are in a good mood, bad mood, naked, dirty, or dressed in your best tuxedo. It doesn't matter what you did yesterday, what you plan for tomorrow, or what you didn't do last week. The neighbor will help because of your need.
Second, he will not give you beans if you ask for bread. Nor will be give rocks. Or mouldy sourdough. He give you exactly what you need, because you ask. Consider a loving benefactor for a neighbor. Imagine your own father.
Now consider how much more God will give you what you need if you ask. And He wants you to ask, because He knows you need Him. Jesus said, "without Me ye can do nothing". Now imagine your own best friend, or your own son or daughter, coming and asking you for help. Will you not help?
KJV Luke 11:13
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Question is, how much do you want Him?

Reactions: friend of

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this mean the Spirit has left me?
Great post! A friend expressed a similar experience.

The newness is bound to wear off. Now, it’s about endurance, finishing the race. Do not resist transitioning from the exciting new to the mature intentional energy.