Bible not coming "alive" to me anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When i first got saved and started reading the bible, it was so incredible. It was as if every passage spoke out to me. It was like I received messages straight from God and it was like this constantly. But now it's not like that anymore. What can I do? I probably sinned very badly because now the bible doesn't speak to me in that same intimate way. I've tried a lot to change this but it just doesn't. Does this mean the Spirit has left me?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When i first got saved and started reading the bible, it was so incredible. It was as if every passage spoke out to me. It was like I received messages straight from God and it was like this constantly. But now it's not like that anymore. What can I do? I probably sinned very badly because now the bible doesn't speak to me in that same intimate way. I've tried a lot to change this but it just doesn't. Does this mean the Spirit has left me?
Spend more time in prayer. It may be that God is guiding you to greater intimacy. Quietly meditating on Jesus, Who He is to you.

Much love!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My prayer life isn't great. I used to pray unceasingly but now it's difficult to even formulate the words.

Reactions: Goldie75

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My prayer life isn't great. I used to pray unceasingly but now it's difficult to even formulate the words.

Hi friend of, I’ve only just joined so don’t know your story. But I would say it’s a good thing you desire for the Bible to come alive to you and for a better prayer life. To me this is the work of the Holy Spirit in your heart.

I know for myself I’ve been through different seasons in God. It can feel frustrating when things seem dry, but those are the times to press in a seek God to reveal Himself more to you in His Word and pray for Him to lead and guide you to this end.

I will pray for you over this.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi friend of, I’ve only just joined so don’t know your story. But I would say it’s a good thing you desire for the Bible to come alive to you and for a better prayer life. To me this is the work of the Holy Spirit in your heart.

I know for myself I’ve been through different seasons in God. It can feel frustrating when things seem dry, but those are the times to press in a seek God to reveal Himself more to you in His Word and pray for Him to lead and guide you to this end.

Nice post there, @Goldie75

Reactions: Goldie75

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 Thanks for the 'like'; getting into a regular prayer and Scripture reading habit - and disciplining oneself to do it - is so vitally important, indeed...
I agree. Though this seems to come more easily to some than others. Sometimes some of us (me!) need keys and guidance on going about this.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really mean words, but allowing the yearning in your heart to go out towards God. To think about what you've already learned about God, and about Jesus.

God's promise to us is that when we don't know how to pray, the Holy Spirit prays for us what we cannot.

Something I do to re-center myself in Jesus is to just remember, actively remind my self, to spend time just considering, God is here with me right now. He promised to always be with me, so I believe . . . You are in fact here, and You love me, and I want to always know You are here with me, and I pray you would reveal Yourself, and Your tremendous love to Friend Of, that he can know he has a friend in You!

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't really mean words, but allowing the yearning in your heart to go out towards God. To think about what you've already learned about God, and about Jesus.

God's promise to us is that when we don't know how to pray, the Holy Spirit prays for us what we cannot.

Something I do to re-center myself in Jesus is to just remember, actively remind my self, to spend time just considering, God is here with me right now. He promised to always be with me, so I believe . . . You are in fact here, and You love me, and I want to always know You are here with me, and I pray you would reveal Yourself, and Your tremendous love to Friend Of, that he can know he has a friend in You!

Much love!
Romans 8 again; such a formidable chapter... :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When we first believe in Jesus we embark on a journey which is designed to take us 180 degrees to the one we are on. We get 'revelations' which are new to us and it excites us. These 'revelations' however might only be a 10 degree shift which we interpret as being a far greater shift than is warranted. We are at the beginning of our journey yet thinking we are farther along than we actually are.

If our ego's vehemently defend 'kindergarten' learning (exciting though it is) as if it where the whole enchilada of understanding, we get stuck and then in time wonder as you have why it all seems to go flat.

It's not that the Spirit has left you, it is because you have resisted his influence by insisting what you have learned is the highpoint of learning. Your cup is full and won't allow more to be poured in....yet it still has much that needs throwing overboard.

Now you are discouraged but it is because you have misappropriated the Spirit's attempt to take you out of your comfort zone in understanding.

Recognise this and allow the Lord to humble you....without being a sucker for every aberrant view out there.....and he will lift you up.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Bless you for your kind words.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

It just feels like my prayers and desires are so infinitesimal. Like, would they really matter to God? Does God really want us to pray for the same things over and over again? It feels like I'm almost bothering Him.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It just feels like my prayers and desires are so infinitesimal. Like, would they really matter to God? Does God really want us to pray for the same things over and over again? It feels like I'm almost bothering Him.
The Father loves to hear His redeemed people honour His beloved Son, and His work at the Cross.

Wanting to tell others is part of the Christian life, also.