Bible Translation Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The greatest things I hsve learned from this thread:

1) How to use a Greek dictionary and its importance

2) the terms "dynamic" and "expressive" equivalence.

3)honestly from exploring the Greek, I am finding KJV more accurate. I still will like to include a word for thought to help me understand the context.

I am very grateful for God's Word and for all of the people and resources to help us understand better. The Holy Spirit is my greatest Helper and guide.

Reactions: tsr

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well according to one website praising the message, they call it a dynamic equivalent translation . that is why I included it. But even tossing it we have the gross CEV and the Good news.0

But here is a list of bibles that should be avoided (with the exception of the NIV)

Extensive use of dynamic equivalence or paraphrase or both

This list confirms youu don't know the meaning of dynamic equivalence. The New English Tranlation is a VERY LITERAL translation.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The greatest things I hsve learned from this thread:

1) How to use a Greek dictionary and its importance

2) the terms "dynamic" and "expressive" equivalence.

3)honestly from exploring the Greek, I am finding KJV more accurate. I still will like to include a word for thought to help me understand the context.

I am very grateful for God's Word and for all of the people and resources to help us understand better. The Holy Spirit is my greatest Helper and guide.

That is why, despite its Elizabethan English it is still teh most popular Bible around! TEh RSV used a new text created by Westoctt and hort and many of teh more modern translations were constructed from that text. Then there is the Nestle-Alland Greek which has undergone voer 25 alterations over time.

For all my students I encourag ethem to fall in love with Greek and Hebrew Study guides and online sources. As well as books dealing with the culture of the times of the bible. It only enriches our love of the Word, makes it more alive and gives us a deeper understanding of many of the events , especially in the gospels.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This list confirms youu don't know the meaning of dynamic equivalence. The New English Tranlation is a VERY LITERAL translation.

Well take that up with the Bible Society web site I copied that from.

In the preface to the first edition, W. Hall Harris III, PhD, "The NET Bible Project Director" claims that the NET Bible solves the problem of dynamic vs. formal equivalence:

[T]he translators and editors used the notes to give a translation that was formally equivalent, while placing a somewhat more functionally [or dynamically] equivalent translation in the text itself to promote better readability and understandability. The longstanding tension between these two different approaches to Bible translation has thus been fundamentally solved.[1]

From the NET website:

Endorsements
"The NET Bible is the only true study Bible I have ever known. Other Bibles with notes just tell you what they believe the passage means, not what the passage could mean, leaving the decision in the hands of the reader. Other study Bibles stand in front of you while the NET Bible stands beside you. Everyone should have one."

C. Michael Patton, ThM
President, Credo Courses
Author, Now That I'm a Christian

That should raise a red flag for anyone. Not that it is de facto condemnation, but "could mean" is a loaded phrase to day.

It is a dynamic equivalent bible.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

Perhaps as a person who perceives that there are a lot of errors in our various translations, both in the Hebrew and Greek contextual translations, the problem we have is that we have great difficulty in perceiving the errors that persist in the translations that we hold dearly to.

Do we consider the distant future, even now, as to when God's covenantal promises, to Abraham and his descendants, will become a reality, and as such, is our promised inheritance that we, who are God's Saints, receive "Land," or the whole "Earth?" Do we drive mining right pegs, into the landscape to define the land that we will inherit at the end of the Age of the Ages. A patch of land that we proceed to mine for God's "truths," so that we can form a relationship with God on our perceived terms and in defiance of the terms set so long ago by God.

We need to spend much time for meditation on God's truths to discover the essences of God's truth. We need to understand that the Hebrew word for soil, should be understood as a well prepared, fertile field, where God intends to plant the seeds for the Israelites to draw nourishment from God's teaching so that they can develop heavy heads which will multiply God's word for all of mankind. That God's teaching for Israel will be based on the foundational stone teaching that will come down from heaven, untouched by human hands, will become the highest mountain in all of the earth and will tower over all of the other mountains that man will have worshipped upon up and until that time.

Jesus, confirmed this understanding in the Parable of the Sower, that at some time in the future, when the sower finally gets to the prepared fertile field, that the scattered seeds of truth spread out over that field will bring in a great harvest to bring Glory to God. Sadly, because of our focus on ourselves, we have understood this parable to be about "our" personal salvation, whereas, it is my belief that Jesus was speaking about the time for Israel's salvation, when God will hear them once more and draw them to himself.

The fertile field has been prepared, and the remanent of Israel are seeking to find that fertile field during this present time of Israel's search for Mt. Zion.

If our understanding is perverse, then we will not find the heart of God in what we read in the scriptures.

Shalom

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Was a Music Education Major with vocal emphasis. We had to learn 9 songs for the final in different languages. German, Latin, French, Spanish, English, Russian, Hebrew...

Maybe it was seven since I can't remember nine. LOL.
Hi Mayflower, thelord's_pearl here! I was wondering if you'll be ok to share when you sing a higher pitch how to sing better or how to sing better in general, those things that hinder people from singing better? thanks so much!

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mayflower, thelord's_pearl here! I was wondering if you'll be ok to share when you sing a higher pitch how to sing better or how to sing better in general, those things that hinder people from singing better? thanks so much!

I'll tag you in chit chat!!!! I'd love to talk about it :)

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use the King James as the main one. But there is not perfect translation as it was inspired . Learning how to search out the context and compare the spiritual understanding to the spiritual ( faith to faith) does aid.

Like the Mathew 16 and 18 rendering of the direction of inspiration . Even the King James turns the doctrine of inspiration upside down and unbelievers are quick to get under inspiration from earth which James calls of the evil one.

The doctrine of inspiration below using water to represent the work of the Holy Spirit .

Deuteronomy 32:1-3 King James Version (KJV)Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

Mathew 16: 18-19 King James. . And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Peter thinking he is the key that the gates of hel could never prevail against and not the words of the gospel is shown as not having the proper understanding. Peter in selfish pride deceived the father of lies tried to prevent Jesus from doing the work the father sent him.

Mathew 16:22 King James Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

Mathew 16:19 Young’s literal and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only the King James Version (KJV) is the most accurate English Bible version and true word of God which is not altered by men through their worldly knowledge and wisdom or to fit into their doctrines. Walk through the journey of Bible translation to understand Bible writing and translation. See Bible writing and translation

Most scholars consider these older manuscripts more reliable than the few later manuscripts available to those who translated the King James Bible. It is also helpful to remember that, while King James "authorized" a particular translation for the Church of England in the 17th century, it is no more authoritative for us today than any other translation .

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting claim of the date for the crucifixion as the actual day Christ was born is still debated. I have seen a seven year spread as to the year in which Christ was born. How close to Jerusalem was the earthquake's epicentre is not given as a 8.2 earthquake would probably levelled Jerusalem not shaken it such that the curtain in the temple was torn from top to bottom. There is evidence of fractured rocks on steps near the temple mould, but as the Governmental and historical records of that time do not indicate such a large earthquake as claimed, occurred, I am happy with the account only in Matthew that the ground was shaken and rocks were split. This could have been as a result of an 8.2 earthquake some distant from Jerusalem as we see occurring today.

Shalom

The actual day Christ was born is not given and not needed it is not part of the gospel understanding.

After the yielding, giving up the spirit of life. The veil used represent the foreskin. . . the sign of circumcision of the first born called our bloody husband it was rent from the top to the bottom signifying the direction of inspiration not the cause of the earthquake bottom up. Then the unseen born again spirits of the old testament saints that were awaiting the promise of opening the resurrection gate they entered the new Jerusalem prepared for his bride the church .

Mathew 27: 50-53 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The actual day Christ was born is not given and not needed it is not part of the gospel understanding.

After the yielding, giving up the spirit of life. The veil used represent the foreskin. . . the sign of circumcision of the first born called our bloody husband it was rent from the top to the bottom signifying the direction of inspiration not the cause of the earthquake bottom up. Then the unseen born again spirits of the old testament saints that were awaiting the promise of opening the resurrection gate they entered the new Jerusalem prepared for his bride the church .

Mathew 27: 50-53 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Gary, whatever floats your boat is okay with me.

My post that you have quoted was with respect to the supposed day, month and year that an earthquake occurred upon in 33 AD and is then linked to the actual day that Christ died. I have no problems with the two verses that you quoted from Matthew 27:50-53.

However I do have some concerns with the next verse where the centurion observing the turmoil occurring in Jerusalem said, "Truly this was the Son of God." I do not believe that the centurion was only referring to the fact that the ground did shake, that this caused the rocks in the ground to split, but was also observing the turmoil within the people who were in disbelief that the very person who they believed in, had been taken by the Sanhedrin and handed over to the Roman powers within the city of Jerusalem to be killed on a cross. The crowd that yelled crucify Him was only small in comparison to the number of people who were in the city at that time for the Passover Feast.

My argument was that there was no historical record of an earthquake at that time that occurred at the very same time that Christ gave up His breathe and died. The other argument that I referenced was the fact that there is still debate as to the actual year that Christ was born and that there is up to a seven year spread over which the scholars are still arguing over as to the year in which He was born.

Given that most scholars agree that Christ was crucified around the age of 33 years old, the actual year in which he was supposed to have been crucified is also up for debate and is not set in concrete as the previous post to me was suggesting from a modern day listing of earthquakes that occurred world wide before accurate records were available. The Ancient records are somewhat anecdotal and as such their reliability is questionable.

Shalom

Gary Urban

Apr 20, 2021
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gary, whatever floats your boat is okay with me.

My post that you have quoted was with respect to the supposed day, month and year that an earthquake occurred upon in 33 AD and is then linked to the actual day that Christ died. I have no problems with the two verses that you quoted from Matthew 27:50-53.

However I do have some concerns with the next verse where the centurion observing the turmoil occurring in Jerusalem said, "Truly this was the Son of God." I do not believe that the centurion was only referring to the fact that the ground did shake, that this caused the rocks in the ground to split, but was also observing the turmoil within the people who were in disbelief that the very person who they believed in, had been taken by the Sanhedrin and handed over to the Roman powers within the city of Jerusalem to be killed on a cross. The crowd that yelled crucify Him was only small in comparison to the number of people who were in the city at that time for the Passover Feast.

My argument was that there was no historical record of an earthquake at that time that occurred at the very same time that Christ gave up His breathe and died. The other argument that I referenced was the fact that there is still debate as to the actual year that Christ was born and that there is up to a seven year spread over which the scholars are still arguing over as to the year in which He was born.

Given that most scholars agree that Christ was crucified around the age of 33 years old, the actual year in which he was supposed to have been crucified is also up for debate and is not set in concrete as the previous post to me was suggesting from a modern day listing of earthquakes that occurred world wide before accurate records were available. The Ancient records are somewhat anecdotal and as such their reliability is questionable.

Shalom

Thanks

Not directed towards you. Interesting but again not a salvation issue the bible records the earth did quake simultaneously with Jesus giving up the Ghost. It does not give how great of the earth quake. It could have been limited to a few rocks caused by a strong wind .

In that way I would think our concern is the witness of God as greater than the testimony of men in the same way as with Elijah. Again the focus is on the witness of Christ the still small voice and not what our eyes see . We are not to sek after signs to wonder after

1 Kings 19: 11-12 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.