Bible Translation Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so very interesting...I see the verse in a whole new light! I always saw "faithfulness" like the work rather then the gift, "faith." We needed supernatural faith in order to be saved. So the gift is the fruit here. Anyone else see it this way?

WOW plus one for KJV. Never noticed that before!!!! Pastor used TLB, but don't know which is one that is. TLV on youversion is Tree of Life

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:19‭-‬23 NASB1995

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay, so very interesting...I see the verse in a whole new light! I always saw "faithfulness" like the work rather then the gift, "faith." We needed supernatural faith in order to be saved. So the gift is the fruit here. Anyone else see it this way?

WOW plus one for KJV. Never noticed that before!!!! Pastor used TLB, but don't know which is one that is. TLV on youversion is Tree of Life

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:19‭-‬23 NASB1995

Your use of the BibleHub web page is all that you need. It does provide one of the best study guides and I find it relatively easy to use. I am not as familiar with the Blue Letter Bible online.

Reactions: Mayflower

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you read what I said? Did you understand that you can't QUOTE words of a text that were ADDED later than the quote?

Not true. That's exactly what Erasmus did in gathering Byzantine MSS from 12th century that contained ADDED text or variants when compared with Codex Sinaiticus.

When Erasmus gathered his small number of MSS around 15th century to form Textus Receptus he could not ffind a Greek MSS containing the last 6 verses of the Book of Revelation.

How did he know there were 6 verses missing? He knew the Latin Vulgate, so translated from Latin to Greek. Since that time no Greek MSS has been found that agrees fully with the Erasmus translation.

So, Erasmus changed or added to the text.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do we know they added words?

What's the earliest readable version we can find? The oldest version I could find is the 1599 Geneva. I can't go any further back, aside from the Codex Sinaiticus, but I've been looking for them.

Codex Sinaiticus is not very readable. It's pretty torn up and I can't read Greek anyway.[/QUOTE

Compare Codex Sinaiticus with Textus Receptus & you'll see what has been added.

Yes, Sinaiticus is faded
That's why we have paleogtaphers to discipher ancient texts ror us.

Oz

Reactions: DuckieLady

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Compare Codex Sinaiticus with Textus Receptus & you'll what has been added or changed. Unless ypi read Greek, you'll need some tools to help you.

Sinaiticus is faded in colour. That's why we need paleographers to read .& translatefor for us.

Oz

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not true. That's exactly what Erasmus did in gathering Byzantine MSS from 12th century that contained ADDED text or variants when compared with Codex Sinaiticus.

When Erasmus gathered his small number of MSS around 15th century to form Textus Receptus he could not ffind a Greek MSS containing the last 6 verses of the Book of Revelation.

How did he know there were 6 verses missing? He knew the Latin Vulgate, so translated from Latin to Greek. Since that time no Greek MSS has been found that agrees fully with the Erasmus translation.

So, Erasmus changed or added to the text.

Oz
1 John 5:7 was quoted before the Vulgate.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, Oz, the ESV is a reasonable translations, even with its faults, but I will ask you the same question that I asked above: -

How does an Angel, coming down out of heaven cause "a great earthquake."

If an Angel coming down out of heaven does not create a great earthquake, then what is being described as happening in Matt 28:2?

I await your learned reply.

Shalom.

PS: - If angels appearing to people, as recorded in the scriptures, on earth result in earthquakes as per Matt 28:2, why then are the visitations of these angels with other people since the beginning of time, not associated was an earthquake in those appearances with other people? Would not that be a significant event? Why then are there no other recordings in the Scriptures of an earthquake occurring when an angel appears to these other people as they would have come from God in heaven to deliver God's messages to them?

Jay,

I believe in the God-breathed Scripture from th God who does not lie.

The ministry of angels is beyond my rational understding. However, since God said what would happen in Matt 28:2, that is guaranteed by God.

I'm in respite after 3 weeks in hospital. This world is not my home.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not sure what you mean?

Definition of words?

Seismos;A shaking, Shock, An earthquake

1. A shock, Agitation, Commotion
2. Earthquake
3. To shake Agitate
4. To shake Heave, Quake of the earth
5. To move to and fro
6. To shake oneself

If we are talking about water. Earthquake would not fit. I agree. The water were agitated. or shaken would be apt.

But to say earthquake should not be used, if that is what is being said at the cross about the rocks and graves opening up. It could very well be an earthquake

Definitions of the 2 different types of translations.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The assumption here is that Codex Sinaiticus is true and that the Textus Receptus is corrupt. Which is the HOAX perpetrated by Westcott & Hort. and swallowed hook, line, and sinker by almost all textual scholars since then.

But both Burgon and Scrivener showed that Aleph -- Codex Sinaiticus -- was one the the most corrupt manuscripts in existence. That is not conjecture but fact. And the history of this manuscript confirms that it was regarded as worthless.

REALLY

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Saddened to hear of your medical issues. There is a verse that could be encouraging: "Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord heals them of them all". It is in times like these that being a faithful believer is what it is all about.

Amen,

Been in hospital for kidney failure. I have major heart.disease. heaven's sounding sweeter all the time

Oz

Reactions: amadeus

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a nasty flaming statement
Not a flaming statement, Oz. I apologize. Didn't mean for it to come off that way. Just want you to feel better and be safe. :) Don't want anyone stressing you out when you're already going through something so hard.

Hope you feel better soon. <3

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not a flaming statement, Oz. I apologize. Didn't mean for it to come off that way. Just want you to feel better and be safe. :) Don't want anyone stressing you out when you're already going through something so hard.

Hope you feel better soon. <3

Thank you, i sincerely accept your apologies.

Oz

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would call it.plagiarism when 80% of a translation - is copied by KJ V translators.

Oz
I wouldn't. I would think it was a great tribute to a great martyr whom the RCC strangled, then burned his body, all because he translated the Word of God into English. He didn't just use codices, but the 5,000 writings of the early church fathers who quoted passages.