BIBLE VERSIONS CAN AFFECT SALVATION

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Focusing, not cherry-picking.
Passive/middle was not in dispute.

Yes, you did not dispute the Passive because you did not focus on it, or perhaps did pay attention to it, then saw the implications don't suit you, so you thought you would say nothing and get away with it. But of course, how would i or any of us know? My guess is still you did not notice the Passive like you did not notice the other things I had to point out.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Steve, the reason why the translators of the 1611 King James translated they way they did was... they didn't know Greek well enough to make the distinction! But before any KJO Bible-Worshiper has an aneurism, allow me to say that no one understood the Greek verb tenses until the 1890's. In most cases the King James uses the context to guess correctly what is said, and other times it uses a neutral understanding that could be read as one wished. Unfortunately, that has led to much doctrinal error.

phweeeeeew[*] ... the likes of neither I nor anyone has ever seen.

[* Someone's bubble popped.]

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
But you are right that scholarship has moved on from the 17th Century, and the KJV repeatedly gets the tenses wrong. Romans 6:2 is another example. The NKJV is not perfect, but it is an improvement on the KJV.

As far as scholarship regarding Biblical Greek is concerned, <scholarship> from the twentieth century got so conceited and bloated, it reached the point illustrated right here where its escaped gas is more than enough to cause pandemic malignant catarrhal fever virus infection.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Enoch, you now have this habit of consistently asking me questions that I just answered in my previous posts, LoL. I'm getting used to it. It's like having conversations in reverse : )

But you know what is going on here: At issue is the desire to maintain pet doctrines at the expense of precise and accurate exegesis.

What is this?

The "spiritual truth"? Look at the lengths you are going to to preserve a doctrinal falsehood. This is double talk and you know it. The two translations support two entirely different doctrinal positions; positions that have bearing on the critical issue of salvation. One favors salvation as a perfected state that cannot be altered; the other suggests it is in flux until death, and that only "he who endures until the end shall be saved."

By this argument you are side-stepping accurate exegesis to prop up your pet doctrine. And don't think translators can't do the exact same thing.

They do.
Both are entirely true. They follow the "now but not yet" principle. We can have assurance of salvation now as the title deed of our inheritance in Christ. It is the seal of the Spirit that assures us of the final possession of our salvation when Jesus comes again.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Steve, the reason why the translators of the 1611 King James translated they way they did was... they didn't know Greek well enough to make the distinction! But before any KJO Bible-Worshiper has an aneurism, allow me to say that no one understood the Greek verb tenses until the 1890's. In most cases the King James uses the context to guess correctly what is said, and other times it uses a neutral understanding that could be read as one wished. Unfortunately, that has led to much doctrinal error.
What!!
Are you saying that the translation team which included the best Greek and Latin scholars in the world at the time did not know enough Greek to make a viable translation??

Laughable! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you did not dispute the Passive because you did not focus on it, or perhaps did pay attention to it, then saw the implications don't suit you, so you thought you would say nothing and get away with it. But of course, how would i or any of us know? My guess is still you did not notice the Passive like you did not notice the other things I had to point out.

Gerhard, I'm going to give you a straight answer. Maybe you will get to know me a little better as a result. If not, God will be my witness when you stand before Him.

I am not the least impressed when I see people spouting needless information just to make themselves look intelligent. In fact, to me it suggests I am reading someone who not only has pride issues but cannot focus on making a point because they are so scatterbrained that they are more than likely totally incapable of it. And since it irritates me beyond belief sometimes, I do NOT do so when I post things to others myself, because I am commanded to do unto others as I would have them do unto me.

Believe me, Or am I still an idiot who didn't notice "it all"?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both are entirely true. They follow the "now but not yet" principle. We can have assurance of salvation now as the title deed of our inheritance in Christ. It is the seal of the Spirit that assures us of the final possession of our salvation when Jesus comes again.

Absolutely. I'm not OSAS, but if you are I would at least agree that the believer can walk in a complete assurance of salvation; not a guarantee of it, mind you, but an assurance, a confidence before God, and one that does not diminish with time but grows stronger every day as he grows ever closer to Him.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Gerhard, I'm going to give you a straight answer. Maybe you will get to know me a little better as a result. If not, God will be my witness when you stand before Him.

I am not the least impressed when I see people spouting needless information just to make themselves look intelligent. In fact, to me it suggests I am reading someone who not only has pride issues but cannot focus on making a point because they are so scatterbrained that they are more than likely totally incapable of it. And since it irritates me beyond belief sometimes, I do NOT do so when I post things to others myself, because I am commanded to do unto others as I would have them do unto me.

Believe me, Or am I still an idiot who didn't notice "it all"?

Believe you while I don't understand you? Or am I an idiot who didn't notice, WHAT, at all?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James 1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

New King James 1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The majority of Bible versions translate the above verse as "are being saved", instead of "are saved". The translation of this verse affects the security of our salvation. If we are being saved, that is saying our salvation is an unfinished process, and not a present possession. We are saved by the redemption of the Lord Jesus Christ, we are justified freely, as a gift of God (Romans 3:21-26 Romans 5:15 Romans 6:23).

This is just one example highlighting the importance of how translations affect doctrine.

Yes, one can be interpreted that we are OSAS and "not being under the law" means we are free from the law and will not lose our salvation no matter how much we sin.

The other means we must follow the commandments of Jesus continuously.

Which do you prefer?

Reactions: Doug

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, one can be interpreted that we are OSAS and "not being under the law" means we are free from the law and will not lose our salvation no matter how much we sin.

Which do you prefer?
It's not a question of our preference, but what the Bible says.
Matthew 24:13, "But he who endures to the end shall be saved." The Lord Jesus will not lose one of those whom the Father has given Him (John 6:39 etc.), but it is still necessary that they endure.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:13, "But he who endures to the end shall be saved." The Lord Jesus will not lose one of those whom the Father has given Him (John 6:39 etc.), but it is still necessary that they endure.

Careful. The key phrase is "the Father has given Him." Those were the twelve disciples, including Judas, but he wasn't given to Jesus to be saved, but to fulfill Scripture. There are other verses with "given Him" in them that also refer to the disciples. And following His prayer for the disciples, Jesus also prays for those who believe their words about Jesus by their own choice.

Besides Israel, the disciples were the only ones predestined. All others were by foreknowledge. Read all your pet verses, and watch for where it is the Father who is giving to Jesus.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
90073013_10207574342032892_4650226855918436352_n.jpg
The KJV is the only trustworthy version in our English language. The rest are counterfeits. They are biased and will cause doctrinal errors.,

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This verse was given to Israel....they had to endure through the tribulation to enter the kingdom on earth.

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is off topic, so I will not argue over it, but declare it just the once.

John 6:37. 'All that the Father gives Me will come to Me.........' 'Will come.' The Apostles had already come. All the elect of the Father were given to the Son in eternity (Ephesians 1:4-6) and the Lord Jesus will not lose one of them. They will come, stand before the throne and declare, 'salvation belongs [not to us but] to our God who sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb.'
'.......And the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.'
Let no one say that he is not elect unless he has been up to heaven, had a look at the Book of Life and seen his name missing there. All others - thieves, swindlers, murderers, child molesters, Moslem suicide bombers, come to Christ! He will not cast you out.

However, coming to Christ means more than believing that there was such a person as Jesus of Nazareth who lived a long time ago and did a lot of good stuff. It means seeing yourself as a lost sinner, rightly under the condemnation of a thrice-holy God; turning away from your sins and laying hold of Christ as a drowning man might lay hold of a life-jacket, trusting in nothing else but His blood shed upon the cross to save you. Such a faith is God-given, the work of the Holy Spirit, that we should do the works that He prepared for us.

Therefore on the one hand, believers can never lose their salvation, and on the other hand they must and will persevere to the end. If they do not, it is because they never truly trusted in Christ.

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This verse was given to Israel....they had to endure through the tribulation to enter the kingdom on earth.
Absolutely not! 'And when they had preached the gospel to that city [Derbe] and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, strengthening the souls of the disciples, exhorting them to continue in the faith, and saying, "We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God."'

These were Gentile cities, with predominately Gentile disciples, yet they were still exhorted to continue in the faith and warned that they must pass through many tribulations. There is only one people of God - believing Jew and believing Gentile together (Ephesians 2:11-22). What God has joined together, let not dispensationalism separate.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Which do you prefer?

For as long as we are "IN CHRIST" <<we are free from the law>> like in OT times for as long as one was in the sanctuary holding fast to the altar, he was free from the Law. Which never meant <<we are free from the law>> because there is no Law or that the Law became superfluous and useless and powerless, BUT EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, that the moment one would not be "IN HIM", Christ, the Law will instantly be there and condemn you (according to the belief system of free-will). Thank God the True Faith of Jesus Christ means OSAS, that confirms BOTH Grace and Law-- the Grace of GOD and the Law, OF GOD--, not any priceless and therefore Law-less redemption or salvation. To be "IN CHRIST" OSAS is no cheap, fake religion of self-deception.