Biblical Foreknowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Giuliano

The elect were not solely Israel, but those He foreknew from before time began[Romans 8:28-30 & Ephesians 4:1. God chose Abram, who later became Abraham. It was through his seed the nations would be blessed. Then the time comes when Israel was in bondage to Egypt. Long story short, Moses,. by God's hand, brought them out of bondage. They were the ones entrusted with the oracles(words) of God[Romans 3:2]. But they went off into idolatry so many times that by the time the Christ had came, they didn't have the authority to put a man to death, and that is why they had to appeal to Pilate to have Him crucified. That is why the Christ said Therefore, I tell you that God’s kingdom will be taken away from you and will be given to a people who produce its fruit.[Matthew 21:43 CSB] God has now entrusted His word, His oracle, with the church, via the Great Commission.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Giuliano

The elect were not solely Israel, but those He foreknew from before time began[Romans 8:28-30 & Ephesians 4:1. God chose Abram, who later became Abraham. It was through his seed the nations would be blessed. Then the time comes when Israel was in bondage to Egypt. Long story short, Moses,. by God's hand, brought them out of bondage. They were the ones entrusted with the oracles(words) of God[Romans 3:2]. But they went off into idolatry so many times that by the time the Christ had came, they didn't have the authority to put a man to death, and that is why they had to appeal to Pilate to have Him crucified. That is why the Christ said Therefore, I tell you that God’s kingdom will be taken away from you and will be given to a people who produce its fruit.[Matthew 21:43 CSB] God has now entrusted His word, His oracle, with the church, via the Great Commission.
I checked the Bible passages you gave. It seems to me you added something. Romans 8 and Ephesians 4 do not mention "before time began." I would not assume that is necessarily so.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I checked the Bible passages you gave. It seems to me you added something. Romans 8 and Ephesians 4 do not mention "before time began." I would not assume that is necessarily so.

In Romans 8:28-30 it says whom He forknew. Obviously this can not be everyone, as everyone He foreknew ends up being glorified in vs 30. In Ephesians 1:4 it says For he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in love before him. He chose the elect before He said "let there be light." So, those God foreknew, He foreknew before time began. I am sorry I wasn't clearer in my previous post.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 8:28-30 it says whom He forknew. Obviously this can not be everyone, as everyone He foreknew ends up being glorified in vs 30. In Ephesians 1:4 it says For he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in love before him. He chose the elect before He said "let there be light." So, those God foreknew, He foreknew before time began. I am sorry I wasn't clearer in my previous post.
What do you think God's purpose for His elect is? I think it was for them to act as witnesses to others so that the non-elect also could be saved.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To live holy and righteous lives for Him in a sin cursed world.
That makes God sound cruel to me unless some good could come of it to others. What would the point be?
Please tell me your view of election and how God works it out so that I can better understand your position, please.
I believe the elect are sent into the world to help save the non-elect. That makes the suffering of the elect worth something. God does not enjoy seeing them suffer anymore than He enjoyed seeing Jesus crucified; but if good can come of it, and if no lasting harm is done to the elect, it's worth it.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That makes God sound cruel to me. What would the point be?

How does that make God sound cruel? The purpose of God election is to save ppl from themselves, their sins, Satan, and most important of all, Himself. By living holy and righteous lives, it shows those around us that there is One living in us that is Greater than the world.

I believe the elect are sent into the world to help save the non-elect. That makes the suffering of the elect worth something. God does not enjoy seeing them suffer anymore than He enjoyed seeing Jesus crucified; but if good can come of it, and if no lasting harm is done to the elect, it's worth it.

Remember, the non-elect will never be saved. That is why they are called that, the non-elect. God justly left them in their fallen state. It was only via His grace, mercy and love, the elect are saved. There was nothing in the elect that moved God to elect them. He based His election on nothing other than Himself.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does that make God sound cruel? The purpose of God election is to save ppl from themselves, their sins, Satan, and most important of all, Himself. By living holy and righteous lives, it shows those around us that there is One living in us that is Greater than the world.

Remember, the non-elect will never be saved. That is why they are called that, the non-elect. God justly left them in their fallen state. It was only via His grace, mercy and love, the elect are saved. There was nothing in the elect that moved God to elect them. He based His election on nothing other than Himself.
You are saying our lives here on the earth do not matter. You are saying God doesn't care what we do, that He is a respecter of persons. That means the elect will be saved anyway, but God wants them to suffer on the earth first. That means God is cruel.

You are also saying sinners don't stand a chance even if they repent. I can't believe that.

Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Last edited:

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saying our lives here on the earth do not matter.

Where did I say that?

You are saying God doesn't care what we do, that He is a respecter of persons.
God does care. He showed how much He cared by sending His Son to die for His sheep[John 10:11, John 10:15, Ephesians 5:25].

That means the elect will be saved anyway, but God wants them to suffer on the earth first.
Suffering for Him is just as much a gift from Him as believing is[Philippians 1:29]. Yes, the elect will be saved. He elected them unto salvation, and that is the very thing He is accomplishing.

That means God is cruel.

Wrong my friend, wrong.

You are also saying sinners don't stand a chance even if they repent. I can't believe that.

I never said any such thing. You are making a false accusation against me. What does Mark 1:15 say? "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!” CSB What does Luke 13:3 and Luke 13:5 say? 3No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well! 5 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well!" Without repentance none can be saved. Now please retract that false accusation against me.

Now, without repentance, none can be saved. So again, I have never denied ppl being saved, even if they repent. That is a trumped up charge you have levied on me. But remember, even repentance itself is a gift of God.

God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins.[Acts of the Apostles 5:31]

When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.”[Acts of the Apostles 11:18]

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?[Romans 2:4]

Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.[2 Timothy 2:25-26]

Here are 4 places where it shows that it is God who grants repentance, and does not originate in man.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Amen! Wonderful verse. And this calling is an effectual calling that brings them to repentance.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I confess I haven't read the entire thread and probably won't since it went off topic. Can we return to the actual topic?

I ask again why Jesus tells some people to depart because he never "knew" them. If we could agree on that, perhaps we could come to an agreement on what "foreknow" means.
I think all would agree that "know" can mean to possess a cognitive knowledge, to have a sexual relationship, and to become aquanted with.

The issue is which of the three possible choices fits? We have really two - to know cognitively and to become associated with.

Traditionally the first has been used (across the board - Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike). It is the most common definition of the word (like Christ knowing what is in the heart of man).

So the question becomes, who shift to the latter definition (to become associated with)?

I suggest it is eisegesis. People read their theology back into the text rather than allowing the text to determine its meaning.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Anthony D'Arienzo ,

If your pastor friend fell through on "delevering the goods" just do a search on the BB.

Click the search button (the magnifying glass) and then the small gear icon to the right. This will give you the advance search menu.

When you do the search put "hate Calvinists" in the topic, "jonc" in the member, and make sure you are searching all locations. Leave the date range blank unless you have one in mind.

It is that simple.

The only issue you have is the comment was never made. I never posted that I hate Calvinists.

Last edited:

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that He is a respecter of persons.

You are the one advocating this, not I, my friend. You are saying that those who repent and believe He saves, and those who don't, He doesn't save. You are saying He saves them based on that which they do, and that make Him a respecter of persons.

I believe that everyone who repents and believes He will save. Yet, it is God who grants both of these to His elect, not all men indiscriminately.

When God chose Israel, is was not because that nation was any better than the rest, and thereby, moving Him to elect them. On the contrary, we can read “The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any of the peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but because the LORD loved you and kept the oath which He swore to your forefathers, the LORD brought you out by a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;[Deuteronomy 7:7-9] Notice how Moses wrote this who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments. Now, who are those who love Him? Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.[1 John 4:7] Those who love God have been born of Him. No one wills themselves saved, but it via divine quickening, being born again, born from above, born of God.[John 1:12, Romans 9:16, Ephesians 1:20]<---the very same power that rose the Christ from the tomb is the very same power that quickens the dead to life, and it is NOT anything they did to accomplish this feat, but solely via the power of God.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Anthony D'Arienzo ,

If your pastor friend fell through on "delevering the goods" just do a search on the BB.

Click the search button (the magnifying glass) and then the small gear icon to the right. This will give you the advance search menu.

When you do the search put "hate Calvinists" in the topic, "jonc" in the member, and make sure you are searching all locations. Leave the date range blank unless you have one in mind.

It is that simple.

The only issue you have is the comment was never made. I never posted that I hate Calvinists.
Just restore the post you deleted, let's cut to the chase..
Post it, let the rest see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SovereignGrace

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't like it, don't read it. In other words, BUTT OUT!!!! Comprende'? Capiche?
That is uncalled for. This is a public forum.

You and Anthony should not have carried any issues about the BB here in the first place. If you have an issue on one forum it is asinine to leave that forum and bring it to another.

Not only do you owe @Willie T an apology, but you owe this forum an apology.

For my part, I do apologize to the forum that I interacted with Anthony and SovereignGrace's childish posts. I should have ignored their foolishness (as Scripture dictates) and realized they were only trolling me.

The blatant lie about me stating I hate Calvinists was the trap that caught my attention. But I think anyone can discern the falseness of their assertion.

Reactions: Willie T

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You and Anthony should not have carried any issues about the BB here in the first place. If you have an issue on one forum it is asinine to leave that forum and bring it to another.

For my part, I do apologize to the forum that I interacted with Anthony and SovereignGrace's childish posts. I should have ignored their foolishness (as Scripture dictates) and realized they were only trolling me.

The blatant lie about me stating I hate Calvinists was the trap that caught my attention. But I think anyone can discern the falseness of their assertion.
And I had deleted it but you saw it before I could. My apologies to @Willie T for that as that was uncalled for.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did I say that?
You have not given me a serious reason that for God to have His elect to suffer on the earth.
God does care. He showed how much He cared by sending His Son to die for His sheep[John 10:11, John 10:15, Ephesians 5:25].
Why create such a world in the first place? Why not keep the sheep in Heaven? Why let them wander off and get lost in the world?
Suffering for Him is just as much a gift from Him as believing is[Philippians 1:29]. Yes, the elect will be saved. He elected them unto salvation, and that is the very thing He is accomplishing.
Suffering for what reason?
Wrong my friend, wrong.
If I had children and sent them out of my house into a war zone, knowing they would meet terrible fates when I could keep them safe at home, wouldn't you say I was cruel?
I never said any such thing. You are making a false accusation against me.
No need to get your feathers ruffled. I am trying to understand you. I can only go by what you write; and you wrote:

Remember, the non-elect will never be saved. That is why they are called that, the non-elect. God justly left them in their fallen state.

I paraphrased that:

What does Mark 1:15 say? "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!” CSB What does Luke 13:3 and Luke 13:5 say? 3No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well! 5 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well!" Without repentance none can be saved. Now please retract that false accusation against me.

Now, without repentance, none can be saved. So again, I have never denied ppl being saved, even if they repent. That is a trumped up charge you have levied on me. But remember, even repentance itself is a gift of God.
I'm still struggling with your statement that "the non-elect will never be saved." If I misunderstood you, please explain rather than get hot under the collar and say I'm falsely accusing you.

God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins.[Acts of the Apostles 5:31]

When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.”[Acts of the Apostles 11:18]

Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?[Romans 2:4]

Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.[2 Timothy 2:25-26]

Here are 4 places where it shows that it is God who grants repentance, and does not originate in man.
So what makes you think the "non-elect" can never repent? If God is not willing that any should perish, why would He discriminate against certain people?

My own belief is that God knows when sinners have suffered enough from their sinning and are tired of it. They are ripe for something different. They are like the prodigal son wallowing with the pigs. It's time to do something different since the path of sin led to such a dire situation. They are ready to repent, and then God calls them to repent.

Amen! Wonderful verse. And this calling is an effectual calling that brings them to repentance.
So where is the problem? Jesus came to call sinners to repentance. Those who ready to repent did. Those who still wanted to keep on sinning didn't. Where does the idea of the "non-elect" enter the picture?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have nothing to apologize for. And don't fret about our Conspiracy Theorist, SG. (But, "Thank You", anyway) I already know SG well, and I have come to expect defensive bitterness from her posts since I have likely hurt her feelings in the past by being too bluntly strsightforward. And now Tony is steadily showing us that it is likely your references to this matter — not his — that are probably the more accurate.

Reactions: John Caldwell

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not given me a serious reason that for God to have His elect to suffer on the earth.

Read Philippians 1:29. Suffering is just as much a gift of God as believing is.

Why create such a world in the first place? Why not keep the sheep in Heaven? Why let them wander off and get lost in the world?
You need to ask Him that. He decreed all that comes to pass. Not one thing happens outside His sovereign rule.

Suffering for what reason?
If I had children and sent them out of my house into a war zone, knowing they would meet terrible fates when I could keep them safe at home, wouldn't you say I was cruel?

God gets glory even when His ppl die for Him. The Christ even told His disciples what would come of them. If they suffered persecution and tucked tail and ran and renounced Him, what glory does He get? All we do is to give Him glory. Even in death, we are to glorify Him.

No need to get your feathers ruffled. I am trying to understand you. I can only go by what you write; and you wrote:

Remember, the non-elect will never be saved. That is why they are called that, the non-elect. God justly left them in their fallen state.

I paraphrased that:

My feathers weren’t ruffled. You falsely accused me of believing that which I don’t. That’s misrepresenting me.

Does anyone deserve salvation? No. That’s why it’s called grace, which is unmerited favor. If there is something that attracts God to them, then that is not grace. That’s why election is unconditional as well. His choosing of His elect was not based of what they would do or who they are.

I'm still struggling with your statement that "the non-elect will never be saved." If I misunderstood you, please explain rather than get hot under the collar and say I'm falsely accusing you.

Man, in his fallen state, will never choose God. There are none that seek Him[Romans 3:11]. Read Romans 8:5-9. Man is his fallen state hates God, is at enmity with God, will not submit to Him. They are not able to repent because of their hatred of Him.

So what makes you think the "non-elect" can never repent? If God is not willing that any should perish, why would He discriminate against certain people?
You are misrepresenting 2 Peter 3:9. This is addressing His chosen ppl, the elect, not all men of all time.

“What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.[Matthew 18:12-14] Same expression used here as in 2 Peter 3:9. He is not willing any of His sheep perish.

My own belief is that God knows when sinners have suffered enough from their sinning and are tired of it. They are ripe for something different. They are like the prodigal son wallowing with the pigs. It's time to do something different since the path of sin led to such a dire situation. They are ready to repent, and then God calls them to repent.

Yet, none seek Him. How can they change when they won’t seek Him? “I permitted Myself to be sought by those who did not ask for Me; I permitted Myself to be found by those who did not seek Me. I said, ‘Here am I, here am I,’ To a nation which did not call on My name.[Isaiah 65:1] How can ppl find Him when they did not seek Him?

So where is the problem? Jesus came to call sinners to repentance. Those who ready to repent did. Those who still wanted to keep on sinning didn't. Where does the idea of the "non-elect" enter the picture?

There’s no problem from my side of this debate. I showed you four places where it unequivocally shows God is the One who grants repentance. Yet, He has granted this to everyone without exception, seeing many die lost.