Biblical seas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was saved while in the Navy, on April 23, 1972, at the ripe old age of 19. How appropriate it was that I was at sea, in the Caribbean, when, as I was lying on my rack that evening, I asked for forgiveness.

So often, in Scripture, the words that suit well a seaman’s life are used to define one’s faith.

1 Tim. 1:19, “Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:”

Even the tongue is likened to the rudder of a ship.

James 3:4, “Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.” How small the tongue is and yet it is able to steer the entire person, their faith, emotions, attitudes, and thinking.

The destroyer’s helm, I steered countless times in some of the most overwhelming seas. The Cape of Good Hope around Africa holds one of the worst waters, especially in a storm. Two hurricanes I survived, as well, while aboard ship. My pockets were full of crackers to replenish my stomach after each spewing.

The disciple’s test, where a storm arose with Jesus onboard. is an example of how giving into fear can lead to little faith.

Mark 4:39-41, “And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

When sailors die at sea, they are said to perish. How often this term is used.

Proverbs 29:18, “ Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.”

Psalms 119:92, "Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction."