Blessed are the poor in spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In poorer countries...which is most of the world. So you just need to travel....but not to tourist destinations. :)

Actually, that's a good point. Many of the Hispanics I have met have had some of the most beautiful humility about them, and often it is because they come from a country where their family is living in a shack with branches and leaves for walls and a roof.

That being said, I still don't know if even they don't occasionally get a snootful of themselves, LoL.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
We all have done it. Of course some will lie about it. Who is not a liar? If we are growing toward God, we should becoming poorer in this respect, but some us insist on being rich and even in getting richer. The greenback dollar bill and the 20 dollar gold piece are not the particular focus here.
ha we pretty much all start out standing where we should not be i guess, in the developed world anyway

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
In poorer countries...which is most of the world. So you just need to travel....but not to tourist destinations. :)
i get you, but really tourist destinations work great imo, just set out on foot from the hotel and pick a direction, the poor are like a mile away or less. That way you get to note the shift in attitudes in the mile, etc.

this is somewhat dangerous though, as the poor have usually either been displaced by the tourism, or they came there seeking money--like i am doing right now in Aspen lol--so you have many disgruntled or bad motivations, briefly do not go in there with a superior attitude if you know whats good for you. Some of the best food you will ever eat though, in some of the crappiest looking restaurants, still tryna figure that out. But then homeless ppl in poor countries, in the mideast anyway, eat better than we do out of grocery stores. Their Squishies are real fruit! Blew me away

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So don't pronounce judgment prematurely, before the Lord comes; for he will bring to light what is now hidden in darkness; he will expose the motives of people's hearts; and then each will receive from God whatever praise he deserves. 1 Cor 4:5
wow, what an artful way of saying "let God do what you are doing, and you do what God will be doing," imo. Wish i had time to see which "God" is being invoked there, that would be interesting. I'm pretty weak on that, cant even guess really.

Reactions: faithfulness

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little child before he is corrupted by following the ways of his parents and other examples is poor in his own spirit. As he 'wises' up he gains momentum toward being rich in his own spirit. A person who is and remains rich in his own spirit will never make room in himself for the Holy Spirit. He will always be marching to his own drummer.
The full soul loatheth an honeycomb

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is essentially it in a nutshell. A parallel passage in one of the other gospels (I forget which one now) read simply, "Blessed are the poor."

The poor in Israel generally had a lower self-esteem because the mentality was that the rich were and righteous and the poor were not (James 2:1-5). But by this saying, Jesus turned this way of thinking on its head. Even the disciples operated under this assumption early on. When Jesus said, "How hard it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," they replied, "Who then CAN be saved?" They too were operating under the assumption that if anyone was going to Heaven it would be the rich.

Essentially the expression meant, "Blessed are those who see themselves as in need of God's mercy and grace."
This would be the hungry soul, every bitter thing becomes sweet.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Poor in spirit is a spirit subjected to a consciousness of dishonesty, conditionality, fear, deceit and doubt. A spirit still bound by the flesh that surrounds it. A spirit hiding in the dark by its dishonesty. Ruled by self-will.

A consciousness of honesty is a spirit filled with Truth, with unconditionality, fearlessness, love and faith. A spirit free from bodily and worldly restrictions. A spirit which is illuminated by Truth; The Light of this dark world we walk through (the valley of the shadow of death). Ruled by our surrender to God's will.

Hi Invisibilis,
Not sure if I welcomed you to the forum so, welcome and we hope you will like it here :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, i doubt we are all poor in spirit, first off? Strong's Greek: 4434. πτωχός (ptóchos) -- (of one who crouches and cowers, hence) beggarly, poor
tbh i'm not sure how any of us will avoid hearing remember, in your life you had all the good things

I missed this post until I read the thread again, so sorry.

It's hard to to read any verses (for me), and to keep myself from reverting back to my default mode, which is to see everything very literally. I want to see all the time like Paul saw, that made him able to say, you don't suppose God was really talking about oxen there, do you? Or, I'm not talking about literal marriage, even though you think I am.

I've been told my IQ is above average. According the world, that's wealth. But in spirit, I'm severely lacking. So my default mode is worth nothing. I have nothing. I'm An imbecile in spirit. I would see nothing if God did not give it to me. And we are all that destitute. We have no coin of the realm.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's hard to to read any verses (for me), and to keep myself from reverting back to my default mode, which is to see everything very literally. I want to see all the time like Paul saw, that made him able to say, you don't suppose God was really talking about oxen there, do you? Or, I'm not talking about literal marriage, even though you think I am.
me too, i'm 60 and still a stupid-literal hearer irl. I guess surely sometimes a rose is just a rose in Scripture though? Right now i tend to take Jesus' words to the Apostles more literally, as it is given for you to know the kingdom, even though they strike me as perenially clueless, at least while Jesus walked; on purpose, i have no doubt.

Hmm but now that we are on the subject, beware of the leaven of the pharisees is technically a parable, huh; parabolic. Hmm. But then imo they are them anyway, rep them, 12 (13) was not an arbitrary choice i guess, maybe they repped them (the common ppl, the sea, who only got parables) until Jesus "ascended" or something? They did seem to wise up like overnight?
I've been told my IQ is above average. According the world, that's wealth. But in spirit, I'm severely lacking. So my default mode is worth nothing. I have nothing. I'm An imbecile in spirit. I would see nothing if God did not give it to me. And we are all that destitute. We have no coin of the realm.
ok, not sure how "we" is defined there, but it seems to me that an obviously diff def of "poor" is being used, else everyone is blessed? Or all of your "we" at least? Also, you are testifying of yourself here, and imo you/we should rely more on another's testimony about your spirit--as of course you are not the self you believe you are, and no one you know would even recognize you from a description of your "self," believe it or not--which is not to say that you have any reason to lie or embellish, simply that you have no perspective; what do you mean by "in spirit, i am severely lacking?"

Bc imo moping around all the time is prolly not what the passage meant?
"We have no coin of the realm?" well obviously some "we" does yeh? Arent many not "poor in spirit" at all? Surely pneuma, gotta go check, brb

yes, pneuma, so wadr i am not getting your point i guess, or who is We maybe, but tbh i go through periods where i'm like "ah, my ego is finally gone" only to find that i have discovered a great new way to deceive myself wadr. Bet i could stir up your spirit plenty lol. Not that that would negate that you might be generally poor in spirit right now anyway i guess.

but anyway i am curious your point, iyo is everyone in ...theirs is the kingdom of God? ps, not sure "iq=wealth" is AT either, although surely related? Or maybe conflated, justifiably?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Poor in spirit is a spirit subjected to a consciousness of dishonesty, conditionality, fear, deceit and doubt. A spirit still bound by the flesh that surrounds it. A spirit hiding in the dark by its dishonesty. Ruled by self-will.

A consciousness of honesty is a spirit filled with Truth, with unconditionality, fearlessness, love and faith. A spirit free from bodily and worldly restrictions. A spirit which is illuminated by Truth; The Light of this dark world we walk through (the valley of the shadow of death). Ruled by our surrender to God's will.
so then a spirit hiding in the dark by its dishonesty, ruled by self will, is blessed, and the kingdom of God is theirs? Huh?

blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God

obv i heard wrong, could you rephrase, ty

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's hard to to read any verses (for me), and to keep myself from reverting back to my default mode, which is to see everything very literally.
for that i like to take one v at a time, and search other vv for that v opposite via the keywords, very few vv that have no opposite, imo. Which is how i am able to so often "oppose" believers who present only one v as AT btw; i just goto biblehub and plug in a keyword, and voila lol

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So don't pronounce judgment prematurely, before the Lord comes; for he will bring to light what is now hidden in darkness; he will expose the motives of people's hearts; and then each will receive from God whatever praise he deserves. 1 Cor 4:5
Lord kurios
God theou
now hmm why would what we understand to be "God" be being referred to two diff ways there?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
me too, i'm 60 and still a stupid-literal hearer irl. I guess surely sometimes a rose is just a rose in Scripture though? Right now i tend to take Jesus' words to the Apostles more literally, as it is given for you to know the kingdom, even though they strike me as perenially clueless, at least while Jesus walked; on purpose, i have no doubt.

Hmm but now that we are on the subject, beware of the leaven of the pharisees is technically a parable, huh; parabolic. Hmm. But then imo they are them anyway, rep them, 12 (13) was not an arbitrary choice i guess, maybe they repped them (the common ppl, the sea, who only got parables) until Jesus "ascended" or something? They did seem to wise up like overnight?
ok, not sure how "we" is defined there, but it seems to me that an obviously diff def of "poor" is being used, else everyone is blessed? Or all of your "we" at least? Also, you are testifying of yourself here, and imo you/we should rely more on another's testimony about your spirit--as of course you are not the self you believe you are, and no one you know would even recognize you from a description of your "self," believe it or not--which is not to say that you have any reason to lie or embellish, simply that you have no perspective; what do you mean by "in spirit, i am severely lacking?"

Bc imo moping around all the time is prolly not what the passage meant?
"We have no coin of the realm?" well obviously some "we" does yeh? Arent many not "poor in spirit" at all? Surely pneuma, gotta go check, brb

yes, pneuma, so wadr i am not getting your point i guess, or who is We maybe, but tbh i go through periods where i'm like "ah, my ego is finally gone" only to find that i have discovered a great new way to deceive myself wadr. Bet i could stir up your spirit plenty lol. Not that that would negate that you might be generally poor in spirit right now anyway i guess.

but anyway i am curious your point, iyo is everyone in ...theirs is the kingdom of God? ps, not sure "iq=wealth" is AT either, although surely related? Or maybe conflated, justifiably?

I've never figured out how to do the multi quote thing, sorry. And don't bother trying to explain, I still won't get it lol.

As to the poor in spirit, the way I have seen it is that the verse isn't dependant on BEING poor in spirit, or like you say, that would mean the kingdom of God belongs to every man, because we are all poor in spirit. What I have seen is that it is dependant on SEEING that you are. (As opposed to thinking you are rich and in need of nothing.) So it is more of a...seeing and admitting the truth, a not walking in darkness but walking in the light of the truth, honesty.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I've never figured out how to do the multi quote thing, sorry. And don't bother trying to explain, I still won't get it lol.
ha well not as long as you approach it like that i guess huh, mr i-am-so-poor-in-spirit, but "multi-quote" is to me a function on this site, i guess you mean the looking up the other vv via a keyword thing? Whats to figure out? Goto a bible search engine and plug in the dang words?
Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages
no explanation even necessary, yeh?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha well not as long as you approach it like that i guess huh, mr i-am-so-poor-in-spirit, but "multi-quote" is to me a function on this site, i guess you mean the looking up the other vv via a keyword thing? Whats to figure out? Goto a bible search engine and plug in the dang words?

Uh...yeah I have no problem looking up vss online...I meant the multi quote has never worked for me, despite many instructions on how to make it giddyup. Lol

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
As to the poor in spirit, the way I have seen it is that the verse isn't dependant on BEING poor in spirit, or like you say, that would mean the kingdom of God belongs to every man, because we are all poor in spirit.
blessed are the poor in spirit... so wadr you lost me, tho i guess we might all be poor in spirit according to the v intent at times maybe. But "bc we are all poor in spirit" i think i get what you are trying to say, however imo that is not in keeping with the v, else it makes no sense?
What I have seen is that it is dependant on SEEING that you are.
imo you are defining "poor in spirit" differently than is intended by the v there, or else everyone has the kingdom of God?
As opposed to thinking you are rich and in need of nothing
hmm, what if you are rich and in need of nothing? literally speaking? (since the rich are the most in need of "nothing" imo, lol)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
blessed are the poor in spirit... so wadr you lost me, tho i guess we might all be poor in spirit according to the v intent at times maybe. But "bc we are all poor in spirit" i think i get what you are trying to say, however imo that is not in keeping with the v, else it makes no sense?

It's a different way of seeing. Its not your default mode. Look at it this way...the church in Rev that says, I am rich and in need of nothing - are they, in fact, rich? No. But they believe they are.

We are all naked, blind, destitute. Some say they aren't. Some see they are and so they ask for what they need.