Blotted out of The Book Of Life?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree, the osas doctrine is a man-made falsehood.. Your only saved if you keep believing, and your only saved if your not a hypocrite.
Well a genuine Christian will keep on believing that Christ died for his sins according to the Scriptures, and rose again for his justification according to the Scriptures. Children of God will also be kept by the power of God. So that is really a non-issue.

As to not being saved if one is a hypocrite, if you mean by that people making a false profession of faith, then of course they were never saved to begin with. But there is an instance recorded in Scripture where Peter seemed to be a hypocrite and was rebuke by Paul (Gal 2:11-14). No one would dare say that Peter became "unsaved" at that point, and then suddenly recovered his salvation.

The reason many Christians cannot bring themselves to believe in the eternal security of the believer (commonly called OSAS) is because (1) they do not see salvation from God's viewpoint and (2) they do not fully grasp the fulness of salvation, and the many facets of salvation, which prevent any Christian from losing their salvation.

The fact that God predestines believers for glorification is sufficient proof of the eternal security of the believers
. Study Romans 8. Salvation is of the LORD.

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well a genuine Christian will keep on believing that Christ died for his sins according to the Scriptures, and rose again for his justification according to the Scriptures. Children of God will also be kept by the power of God. So that is really a non-issue.

As to not being saved if one is a hypocrite, if you mean by that people making a false profession of faith, then of course they were never saved to begin with. But there is an instance recorded in Scripture where Peter seemed to be a hypocrite and was rebuke by Paul (Gal 2:11-14). No one would dare say that Peter became "unsaved" at that point, and then suddenly recovered his salvation.

The reason many Christians cannot bring themselves to believe in the eternal security of the believer (commonly called OSAS) is because (1) they do not see salvation from God's viewpoint and (2) they do not fully grasp the fulness of salvation, and the many facets of salvation, which prevent any Christian from losing their salvation.

The fact that God predestines believers for glorification is sufficient proof of the eternal security of the believers

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Yes, I believe a true believer
cannot fall away! They will stumble, sometimes sin...but will truly be repentant quickly. And, will continue to seek His will in their lives...we are all a work in progress in this realm of "time"...but it is, in God's view-a done deal and "He is faithful to complete..." :)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The message of Jesus, the Gospel as presented by the apostles is not a magic formula that if one gives mental and or verbal assent to even publicly, is somehow the 'method' to use to achieve salvation.
We are subjects of a battle for allegiance and allegiance means throwing it all in for the prize. Jesus said, any man who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.

Allegiance also means making the good news the single overarching factor that rules ones reality. It is a progressive reality as we strive and do battle with the many distractions bombarding us not to mention our own inherited negative dispositions and carnal tendencies.
This battle is waged with the promise of 'my grace is sufficient for you' all the while we strive as an athlete to finish the race.
Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith but if any man draw back my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

'my grace is sufficient for you' <---- I sure do hear this allot! lol...my fave default scripture :)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OSAS Nancy, is an incorrect deduction. It's as simple as that. Your quote from Revelation 22 above makes that clear.
I'm OSAS.
I'm offended that people see a written explanation of OSAS and believe that's what everyone believes.
OSAS is much more than any of that.
If you know you are saved and going to heaven, it's because you know your relationship with God is real and will never end.
It is those who are unsure of themselves that can't find solace in OSAS.
they don't know themselves if they will continue believing because their faith is weak, something they won't admit.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm OSAS.
I'm offended that people see a written explanation of OSAS and believe that's what everyone believes.
If you know you are saved and going to heaven, it's because you know your relationship with God is real and will never end.
they don't know themselves if they will continue believing because their faith is weak, something they won't admit.

Me too.
Amen...I totally agree.
I agree so much....that this morning I was wondering why most Christians bother to say " On such and such day, of such and such month and such and such year I was saved...."

Why people say that they are saved and then say that maybe they aren't .
Meaning Jesus could not do the task that God gave Him...of taking upon Himself the sin of the world. He needs help , so man has to "do his part" to complete the salvation. How arrogant is that!!

Them was mi thoughts today...

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well a genuine Christian will keep on believing that Christ died for his sins according to the Scriptures

I believe what you just said and having said that, according to scripture, a bunch of local Rabi’s talked the Romans into crucifying Jesus because He was preaching what we now call the Old testament. Which as we all know, didn’t speak to highly about the Israelites of the time.

Have I misinterpreted scripture?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm OSAS.

"If you know you are saved and going to heaven, it's because you know your relationship with God is real and will never end." <----BAM! Need I say more? Nope...it is just too simple for some to see this. Man so wants to throw works into things, and do not see how huge His grace is! IMVHO

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too.
Amen...I totally agree.
I agree so much....that this morning I was wondering why most Christians bother to say " On such and such day, of such and such month and such and such year I was saved...."

Meaning Jesus could not do the task that God gave Him...of taking upon Himself the sin of the world. He needs help , so man has to "do his part" to complete the salvation. How arrogant is that!!

WORD!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too.
Amen...I totally agree.

you are right
people will say all day when they got saved, then start complaining they may not be saved
of course they're not saved
if they were, they'd know it

Reactions: LC627 and Nancy

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe what you just said and having said that, according to scripture, a bunch of local Rabi’s talked the Romans into crucifying Jesus because He was preaching what we now call the Old testament. Which as we all know, didn’t speak to highly about the Israelites of the time.

of course

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Nancy, You just knew I had to jump in on this one, LOL.

1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

This does not mean that believers won't have struggles or have to fight with sin. Our warfare is not against flesh and blood. Those who are saved are kept by God and we feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit calling us to repent.

BUT - just because I believe we are kept by God and secure this is NOT a license to sin. Those who believe it is are clearly not saved because those who are believers hate sin and do not wish to practice a lifestyle of it. With that being said, man still has a responsible to obey God and to guard his faith life.

1 John 5:18,19 -
We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

"If there is something in the Word of God I do not like, the problem is not with the Word of God, but with me" R.C. Sproul

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

When we examine the Gospel records, the reasons for the insane hatred and rage against Christ displayed by the scribes, Pharisees, lawyers, and high priests (which was essentially Satanic) were as follows:

1. Jealousy -- the fact that "the whole world has gone after Him" whereas they were unpopular triggered an insane jealously in these religious leaders.
2. Christ had not attended any of the rabbinic schools, yet He spoke with authority and people listened. More jealously and rage.
3. Wilful blindness on the part of the blind leaders of Israel -- anyone with a clear and open mind could see that the Lord Jesus Christ was like no other man, and even the winds and the waves obeyed Him. But instead of repenting and submitting to the Lord, these proud men accused Him of being in league with Satan, and doing His miracles through Satanic power.
4. Christ exposed the hypocrisy of the religious leaders of His day openly, and pronounced Woes on them (essentially consigning them to Hell). They could not abide the truth about themselves so they plotted to kill Him.
5. Christ deliberately healed on Sabbath days to prove that (1) He is Lord of the Sabbath, (2) the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath, and (3) God desired to see good works done on Sabbath days. Once again, because of this, they plotted to kill Him.
6. Many believing Jews saw Jesus as the King-Messiah of Israel (see the triumphal entry of Christ into Jerusalem before His crucifixion), but these religious leaders would rather have Caesar as king, than their own Messiah. They were also fearful that they would be in jeopardy if Christ truly became King of Israel at that point.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boy......somebody’s God sure can’t wait to start blotting! What an exclusive club He is forming....

I’ve never been a fan of exclusive clubs....they tend to be arrogant and snobby

Reactions: GodsGrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there Nancy.

I have always wondered how Moses even knew that there was a Book Of Life.
Because when he sacrificially tells God to "blot him out" and not destroy the children Israel, is the first mention of any book-of-life!!
Maybe God told him lots of things that God told him, that he wasn't told to tell us in the first 5 books of the bible.

Or maybe God just dictated things to him during his time in the wilderness and he wrote them down as God spoke them to him.
Fun things to think about.

By Moses statement it does look as if everyone get put IN the Book, at birth, and blotted out when choices to follow God or not , are presented to them.

I must admit...it sometime irks me when I read people post and say that they know, this that or the other. And their posts are so confident that they have to correct answers to it all. So, I believe your confession and not knowing about OSAS and other things is healthy..it means your ear is still harkening to the Lord to show you things.

Obviously on many things we are solid on and we have them as foundations of our faith. But to be confident that even after 54 years with the Lord, I know all things...For myself...I can't do that. God is always speaking and He is always peeling of a skin and showing a new or deeper revelation of something if we are teachable.
Those that already know everything seem quite closed to any other inspiration of any verse or chapter etc.

So "for me" court is still out concerning Judgement. So , I cannot be cut and dried say what God intends for those blotted out.
This is because when I read some of the words of Jesus...it seems that no, not everything is already cut and dried.

Take Matthew for instance ...11
"Then began He to upbraid the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not:
21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee. "

So, that is why I have said that I do not believe the Day Of Judgement is going to be everything that people presume that they know it will be.

After all...this is The Almighty God trying to come down to the level of an ant and smaller...trying to communicate spiritual thing to us worms of humanity.

How on earth do people think that 'they know' just how everything at the end is going to be. It is, like it or not...a wait and see..

my dollars worth :D

It has been decided! I have not heard this before (names already entered, blotted out if not saved) it makes sense now- So, thank you @Enoch111 @"ByGrace" and anybody else who shared this new (to me) view ♥

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Had to read again...Awesome post.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Does being a hypocrite hold some special weight over all the other sins?

I'd say yes... Everyone sins, but a hypocrite says one thing and does another, they talk the talk but never walk the walk. OSAS leaves an individual accountable for nothing, its a new age license to sin. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) This would seem to blow the once saved always saved slogan out of the water. Jesus said; "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father" (John 14:21). This would seem to indicate a requirement. And Jesus warned; "Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:22-23). So imo, anyone who thinks works don't matter and liberally engage in sin because they are falsely assured that they are always saved no matter what, are being mislead.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have misunderstood the meaning of the Book of Life (also called the Lamb's Book of Life).

It would appear that only the wicked, and unrepentant and unsaved sinners -- the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars -- will be blotted out of the Book of Life.

Which would mean that all human beings have been initially written into the Book of Life, but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life. Please note:

And whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the Lake of Fire. (Rev 20:15). [capitalization added]

Since eternal life is God's gift to those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, the saints can never be removed from the Book of Life. They have eternal life.

"but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life."

default_hmm.gif
.......So is this response supposed to occur on judgement day or some undefined time before judgement day?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"but their response to God and Christ results in their either (1) remaining in the Book of Life or (2) being expunged (blotted) out of the Book of Life."

default_hmm.gif
.......So is this response supposed to occur on judgement day or some undefined time before judgement day?
It is already too late by Judgment Day. As Scripture says "Now is the accepted time, now is the day of salvation". (2 Cor 6:2) Which means that today is the day of salvation. After death there is only judgment.