Book of Proverbs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Starting August 1st, I will post a Proverbs a day. There are 31 chapters for 30/31 days. Each day, feel free to comment or post scripture images for that chapter. If I do not post by 10pm, please post the chapter! Some days may be late because of work/church!

you should understand that proverbs and the like are for the correction of those who fear the Lord in humility.

Pro_17:10 A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.

and it should be noted:

Pro 18:2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.

not that that is what God sees as a fool, and those who agree in the fear of the Lord.

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Let us continue to stay in the word . Let the Word of God dwell within our hearts and our minds .
Growing in the grace of our LORD . The LORD is our hope , our song and our salvation .
Let us continue to stir one another up with all reminders that HE did inspire . Let the Lord be praised my friends .
Great sentiment!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
August 8, 2021: proverbs 8

Does not wisdom call, And understanding lift up her voice? On top of the heights beside the way, Where the paths meet, she takes her stand; Beside the gates, at the opening to the city, At the entrance of the doors, she cries out: “To you, O men, I call, And my voice is to the sons of men. O naive ones, understand prudence; And, O fools, understand wisdom. Listen, for I will speak noble things; And the opening of my lips will reveal right things. For my mouth will utter truth; And wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the utterances of my mouth are in righteousness; There is nothing crooked or perverted in them. They are all straightforward to him who understands, And right to those who find knowledge. Take my instruction and not silver, And knowledge rather than choicest gold. For wisdom is better than jewels; And all desirable things cannot compare with her. “I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And I find knowledge and discretion. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate. Counsel is mine and sound wisdom; I am understanding, power is mine. By me kings reign, And rulers decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, All who judge rightly. I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me. Riches and honor are with me, Enduring wealth and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, even pure gold, And my yield better than choicest silver. I walk in the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice, To endow those who love me with wealth, That I may fill their treasuries. “The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. From everlasting I was established, From the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth. When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no springs abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills I was brought forth; While He had not yet made the earth and the fields, Nor the first dust of the world. When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep, When He made firm the skies above, When the springs of the deep became fixed, When He set for the sea its boundary So that the water would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth; Then I was beside Him, as a master workman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, Rejoicing in the world, His earth, And having my delight in the sons of men. “Now therefore, O sons, listen to me, For blessed are they who keep my ways. Heed instruction and be wise, And do not neglect it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at my doorposts. For he who finds me finds life And obtains favor from the Lord. But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.”
Proverbs 8:1‭-‬36 NASB1995
Proverbs 8:1-36 Does not wisdom call, And understanding lift up her voice? On top of the heights beside the way, Where the paths meet, she takes her stand; Beside the gates, at the opening to the city, At the entranc | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
While I love the Book of Proverbs, I am unable to read posts which

are single spaced with no paragraph or verse breaks used. Yes, I can

force myself to focus and concentrate on it, but the end result for me

is overwhelming in the wrong direction and would further limit my

already diminishing number of forum posts read. I am still flesh and a bit old at that with 77 years behind me.
upload_2021-8-8_12-17-4.jpeg

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
While I love the Book of Proverbs, I am unable to read posts which

are single spaced with no paragraph or verse breaks used. Yes, I can

force myself to focus and concentrate on it, but the end result for me

is overwhelming in the wrong direction and would further limit my

already diminishing number of forum posts read. I am still flesh and a bit old at that with 77 years behind me.
View attachment 16492

Lol. I understand, brother. I'm on my phone, so when I blow words up, it is huge. I love reading your posts, but a whole chapter of proverbs would be huge on my phone. XD

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
August 9, 2021:

Proverbs 9

Wisdom has built her house, She has hewn out her seven pillars; She has prepared her food, she has mixed her wine; She has also set her table; She has sent out her maidens, she calls From the tops of the heights of the city: “Whoever is naive, let him turn in here!” To him who lacks understanding she says, “Come, eat of my food And drink of the wine I have mixed. Forsake your folly and live, And proceed in the way of understanding.” He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you, Reprove a wise man and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. For by me your days will be multiplied, And years of life will be added to you. If you are wise, you are wise for yourself, And if you scoff, you alone will bear it. The woman of folly is boisterous, She is naive and knows nothing. She sits at the doorway of her house, On a seat by the high places of the city, Calling to those who pass by, Who are making their paths straight: “Whoever is naive, let him turn in here,” And to him who lacks understanding she says, “Stolen water is sweet; And bread eaten in secret is pleasant.” But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of Sheol.
Proverbs 9:1‭-‬18 NASB1995
Proverbs 9:1-18 Wisdom has built her house, She has hewn out her seven pillars; She has prepared her food, she has mixed her wine; She has also set her table; She has sent out her maidens, she calls From the tops of | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like the imagery here of wisdom building a house. I want to dwell in the house of the wise.
@Mayflower There's also Matthew 7.24-27: :)

"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ye cannot serve mammon and God .
YE cannot serve the flesh and the Spirit .
You cannot serve two masters . CHOOSE YE THIS DAY and FOREVER MORE WHOM YE SHALL SERVE .
THE LORD is full of mercy and compassion and will forgive any who would confess and forsake their evil and turn towards GOD .
But if we convince ourselves , as many churches have , that we can go on serving two masters , we aint gonna make it .

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh nooooo!!!! I keep forgetting this.... I've kept with devoes, but it is my first week full time. It is more important to read the Proverb then to post it. But haven't in a couple days. I need to have this time in the word. It is so important, ESPECIALLY when life gets busy.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maaaaan missed like three days? Bah bah bah. LOL. I have to get up here.... When Ill put the tenth down, and catch up tomorrow on my off day. :)

Last night's study was talking how people get so busy and distracted and we have to intentionally focus on God. Now forums can be a distraction sometimes for me. My job is a kid's ministry basically, but it is easy to get busy with ministry too and lose that time with God. I did that covid year. Didn't even realize I drifted. Have to stay on the alert. But my big thing is getting fear. When I get afraid it is hard to reel it in. This season is a year of transformation though, I believe. Like enough is enough. Taking my stand. Recognize what makes me afraid, which is normally irrational, and focus on the Lord.

Reactions: Ziggy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
August 13, 2021 (will catch up tomorrow)

Proverbs 10

The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son makes a father glad, But a foolish son is a grief to his mother. Ill-gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death. The Lord will not allow the righteous to hunger, But He will reject the craving of the wicked. Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, But the hand of the diligent makes rich. He who gathers in summer is a son who acts wisely, But he who sleeps in harvest is a son who acts shamefully. Blessings are on the head of the righteous, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. The memory of the righteous is blessed, But the name of the wicked will rot. The wise of heart will receive commands, But a babbling fool will be ruined. He who walks in integrity walks securely, But he who perverts his ways will be found out. He who winks the eye causes trouble, And a babbling fool will be ruined. The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions. On the lips of the discerning, wisdom is found, But a rod is for the back of him who lacks understanding. Wise men store up knowledge, But with the mouth of the foolish, ruin is at hand. The rich man’s wealth is his fortress, The ruin of the poor is their poverty. The wages of the righteous is life, The income of the wicked, punishment. He is on the path of life who heeds instruction, But he who ignores reproof goes astray. He who conceals hatred has lying lips, And he who spreads slander is a fool. When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise. The tongue of the righteous is as choice silver, The heart of the wicked is worth little. The lips of the righteous feed many, But fools die for lack of understanding. It is the blessing of the Lord that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it. Doing wickedness is like sport to a fool, And so is wisdom to a man of understanding. What the wicked fears will come upon him, But the desire of the righteous will be granted. When the whirlwind passes, the wicked is no more, But the righteous has an everlasting foundation. Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, So is the lazy one to those who send him. The fear of the Lord prolongs life, But the years of the wicked will be shortened. The hope of the righteous is gladness, But the expectation of the wicked perishes. The way of the Lord is a stronghold to the upright, But ruin to the workers of iniquity. The righteous will never be shaken, But the wicked will not dwell in the land. The mouth of the righteous flows with wisdom, But the perverted tongue will be cut out. The lips of the righteous bring forth what is acceptable, But the mouth of the wicked what is perverted.
Proverbs 10:1‭-‬32 NASB1995
Proverbs 10:1-32 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son makes a father glad, But a foolish son is a grief to his mother. Ill-gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death. The LORD will not allow the | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 11

A false balance is an abomination to the Lord, But a just weight is His delight. When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright will guide them, But the crookedness of the treacherous will destroy them. Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, But righteousness delivers from death. The righteousness of the blameless will smooth his way, But the wicked will fall by his own wickedness. The righteousness of the upright will deliver them, But the treacherous will be caught by their own greed. When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish, And the hope of strong men perishes. The righteous is delivered from trouble, But the wicked takes his place. With his mouth the godless man destroys his neighbor, But through knowledge the righteous will be delivered. When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices, And when the wicked perish, there is joyful shouting. By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, But by the mouth of the wicked it is torn down. He who despises his neighbor lacks sense, But a man of understanding keeps silent. He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, But he who is trustworthy conceals a matter. Where there is no guidance the people fall, But in abundance of counselors there is victory. He who is guarantor for a stranger will surely suffer for it, But he who hates being a guarantor is secure. A gracious woman attains honor, And ruthless men attain riches. The merciful man does himself good, But the cruel man does himself harm. The wicked earns deceptive wages, But he who sows righteousness gets a true reward. He who is steadfast in righteousness will attain to life, And he who pursues evil will bring about his own death. The perverse in heart are an abomination to the Lord, But the blameless in their walk are His delight. Assuredly, the evil man will not go unpunished, But the descendants of the righteous will be delivered. As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout So is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion. The desire of the righteous is only good, But the expectation of the wicked is wrath. There is one who scatters, and yet increases all the more, And there is one who withholds what is justly due, and yet it results only in want. The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered. He who withholds grain, the people will curse him, But blessing will be on the head of him who sells it. He who diligently seeks good seeks favor, But he who seeks evil, evil will come to him. He who trusts in his riches will fall, But the righteous will flourish like the green leaf. He who troubles his own house will inherit wind, And the foolish will be servant to the wisehearted. The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who is wise wins souls. If the righteous will be rewarded in the earth, How much more the wicked and the sinner!
Proverbs 11:1‭-‬31 NASB1995
Proverbs 11:1-31 A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, But a just weight is His delight. When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright will guide them, But | New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995) | Download The Bible App Now