Books Outside the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for that PW.
I don't hate the CC,,,many do because they've had a bad experience or because their Church might enforce that it's not Christian, or any other reason.

I also happen to know the doctrines well and have challenged @BreadOfLife to find just one incorrect statement I've made. But of course .he had to back down.

Nuff said.
You don’t know Catholic doctrines “well” or even remotely – as I have shown you on MANY occasions.
You are a typical ignorant ex-Catholic who THINKS she knows Catholic doctrine but has absolutely NO understanding of it.

As for my “backing down” from your challenge – I have NEVER done this. I have repeatedly asked you to PROVE to me where I called you a “Liar” and you have YET to show me. All I get are more lies.

I’m STILL waiting.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Slow down there cowgirl. Pull the reins back on your horse :rolleyes:

It is true that @GodsGrace did say that in post #1067.

What you have quoted from me is my response to her post #1070. In THAT post GG said, "The inquisition gives me huge problems because the Pope did nothing to stop this atrocity." My response to her was, "You.......speak of the inquisitions as if it was a Catholic thing only.....You are blind to the FACT that the Protestants did the same things."

The FACT is she only mentioned the Catholic inquisitions and that "the Pope did nothing to stop this atrocity". The FACT is the Protestants participated in the SAME ATTROCITIES and did nothing to stop them. It was UNFAIR and HISTORICALLY inaccurate of GG to only point out the "Catholic atrocity" sooooooo I called her out on it. With a factual statement.....the Protestants did the same thing. ;)

You have accidently/falsely(?) combined two different post/quotes to make it look like I am a liar. :(

Mary
How could the inquisitions be Protestant if Protestantism didn't even exist until the 1,500's?? It IS associated with catholicism and the Pope.

The Inquisition was a group of institutions within the government system of the Catholic Church whose aim was to combat public heresy committed by baptized Christians. It started in 12th-century France to combat religious dissent, in particular the Cathars and the Waldensians. Other groups investigated later included the Spiritual Franciscans, the Hussites(followers of Jan Hus) and the Beguines. Beginning in the 1250s, inquisitors were generally chosen from members of the Dominican Order, replacing the earlier practice of using local clergy as judges.[1] The term Medieval Inquisition covers these courts up to mid-15th century.

source: Inquisition - Wikipedia

In 1184 Pope Lucius III required bishops to make a judicial inquiry, or inquisition, for heresy in their dioceses, a provision renewed by the fourth Lateran Council in 1215. Episcopal inquisitions, however, proved ineffective because of the regional nature of the bishop’s power and because not all bishops introduced inquisitions in their dioceses; the papacygradually assumed authority over the process, though bishops never lost the right to lead inquisitions. In 1227 Pope Gregory IX appointed the first judges delegate as inquisitors for heretical depravity—many, though not all, of whom were Dominican and Franciscan friars. Papal inquisitors had authority over everyone except bishops and their officials. There was no central authority to coordinate their activities, but after 1248 or 1249, when the first handbook of inquisitorial practice was written, inquisitors adopted common procedures.

source: Inquisition | Roman Catholicism

I'd really like to stop talking about this...but I believe you posted innacurate information. If the Protestants were involved with the inquisitions, could you post something, please.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You don’t know Catholic doctrines “well” or even remotely – as I have shown you on MANY occasions.
You are a typical ignorant ex-Catholic who THINKS she knows Catholic doctrine but has absolutely NO understanding of it.

As for my “backing down” from your challenge – I have NEVER done this. I have repeatedly asked you to PROVE to me where I called you a “Liar” and you have YET to show me. All I get are more lies.

I’m STILL waiting.
NO sir,,,you don't understand.
Anyone reading along KNOWS you've called me a liar many times.

What I've asked from YOU is to show me a statement I've made about Catholic doctrine that is wrong.

You won't be able to....
Still waiting....

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for that PW.
I don't hate the CC,,,many do because they've had a bad experience or because their Church might enforce that it's not Christian, or any other reason.

I also happen to know the doctrines well and have challenged @BreadOfLife to find just one incorrect statement I've made. But of course .he had to back down.

Nuff said.
NO sir,,,you don't understand.
Anyone reading along KNOWS you've called me a liar many times.

What I've asked from YOU is to show me a statement I've made about Catholic doctrine that is wrong.

You won't be able to....
Still waiting....
Then show me ONE post where I called you a "liar".

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Her "hate" (you know what's in her heart?) of the Catholic Church and any lie she tells doesn't make you right in HOW you say things. :)

Let God deal with her "hate" and "lies". You just do what you do best. Expose their lies and false beliefs about The Church....let God do the rest.

Mother Mary
I don't judge hearts - I judge WORDS.
You are judged by what you say and do and GG is NO different.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could the inquisitions be Protestant if Protestantism didn't even exist until the 1,500's?? It IS associated with catholicism and the Pope.

The Inquisition was a group of institutions within the government system of the Catholic Church whose aim was to combat public heresy committed by baptized Christians. It started in 12th-century France to combat religious dissent, in particular the Cathars and the Waldensians. Other groups investigated later included the Spiritual Franciscans, the Hussites(followers of Jan Hus) and the Beguines. Beginning in the 1250s, inquisitors were generally chosen from members of the Dominican Order, replacing the earlier practice of using local clergy as judges.[1] The term Medieval Inquisition covers these courts up to mid-15th century.

In 1184 Pope Lucius III required bishops to make a judicial inquiry, or inquisition, for heresy in their dioceses, a provision renewed by the fourth Lateran Council in 1215. Episcopal inquisitions, however, proved ineffective because of the regional nature of the bishop’s power and because not all bishops introduced inquisitions in their dioceses; the papacygradually assumed authority over the process, though bishops never lost the right to lead inquisitions. In 1227 Pope Gregory IX appointed the first judges delegate as inquisitors for heretical depravity—many, though not all, of whom were Dominican and Franciscan friars. Papal inquisitors had authority over everyone except bishops and their officials. There was no central authority to coordinate their activities, but after 1248 or 1249, when the first handbook of inquisitorial practice was written, inquisitors adopted common procedures.

I'd really like to stop talking about this...but I believe you posted innacurate information. If the Protestants were involved with the inquisitions, could you post something, please.
Hi GG.

First one must define what an inquisition is:

inquisitions (plural noun)
  1. a period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation
    a judicial or official inquiry.

1. Both the Catholics and the Protestant churches conducted inquisitions.
Calvin's Victims - The Protestant Inquisition I - Atheist Resource
Inquisition - Wikipedia
The Protestant Inquisition

Historical Mary

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Sooooo you are saying she used hateful words? In which post(s) did she use hateful words?

Mary
No where!
Because I don't hate the cc.
Very far from it!
I very much agree with that church on many things, including liturgies, and I tell everyone to read the first 100 (about) paragraphs of the CCC.

And if I DO disagree with some doctrine, I'm still very respectful of it because I know the thinking behind it. Some posters just like to think everybody hates their church.
It must give them something to do...concentrate on the negative instead of putting forth the positive...very bad strategy.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG.

Inquisition - Wikipedia

Historical Mary
Hi Historical Mary,

I looked over what you linked.
Here's what I'll say:
Nothing there I didn't already know....I DO really dislike Calvinism, BTW.

All true. I think I said somewhere that Protestants have also been inhumane.
I don't need help in believing that J. Calvin was not a very nice person...power hunger; maybe this is the problem.

Anyway, I just want to say that I can't equate what happened under Protestantism with the official inquisitions by the leader of the CC. Both were wrong, both were terrible, both were NOT Christian behavior, both disappoint,,,but I don't see how anyone could compare them and end up thinking it's the same.

Man has a sinful nature and many seek power and not God. This is why Jesus is the only "person" we can trust...I've met very few pastors or priests that are truly spirit-filled.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No where!
Because I don't hate the cc.
Very far from it!
I very much agree with that church on many things, including liturgies, and I tell everyone to read the first 100 (about) paragraphs of the CCC.

And if I DO disagree with some doctrine, I'm still very respectful of it because I know the thinking behind it. Some posters just like to think everybody hates their church.
It must give them something to do...concentrate on the negative instead of putting forth the positive...very bad strategy.
WORD! :)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good for you, GG! You did your homework!!!

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi GG.

Inquisition - Wikipedia

Historical Mary
Wow, Mary you resorted to an ATHEIST source to prove your point? And a Roman Catholic one--no surprise there.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Historical Mary,
I looked over what you linked.
Here's what I'll say:
Nothing there I didn't already know....I DO really dislike Calvinism, BTW.

All true. I think I said somewhere that Protestants have also been inhumane.
I don't need help in believing that J. Calvin was not a very nice person...power hunger; maybe this is the problem.

Anyway, I just want to say that I can't equate what happened under Protestantism with the official inquisitions by the leader of the CC. Both were wrong, both were terrible, both were NOT Christian behavior, both disappoint,,,but I don't see how anyone could compare them and end up thinking it's the same.

Man has a sinful nature and many seek power and not God. This is why Jesus is the only "person" we can trust...I've met very few pastors or priests that are truly spirit-filled.
Hi GG,

I do recall you making the "inhumane" comment in a previous post.

Let me start off by saying that ANYONE who does the following is inhumane, un-Christ like and a sinner:

Kill (or give the death penalty), torture, imprison, take the property of, kick out of their home and home town anyone that disagrees with church leadership on doctrine (commonly known as a heretic).

It is WELL documented that both the Catholic AND Protestant church LEADERS condoned, implemented and did ALL of the above.\

Therefor I fail to understand how you can say that you "can't equate what happened under Protestantism" with what happened under the CC? THEY BOTH DID THE SAME THING which means they were EQUAL in their actions and words.

If your playing a numbers game
then yes, the CC leaders did these things to more people than the Protestant church leaders did. Is that what you are suggesting? The Catholic Church has been around for 2,000 years and the Protestant churches only 500 years. The CC leaders have had a longer time frame to commit these atrocities....however there is no excuse for any of them. One must also look at history thru medieval eyes instead of our current rose colored glasses. Things were handled ALOT different back then and it was almost considered "normal".

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, Mary you resorted to an ATHEIST source to prove your point? And a Roman Catholic one--no surprise there.
The "atheist source" is Calvin's own words.

The "Catholic" source has quotes from Catholic and Protestant Historians.

The Wikipedia source is....well, you know. ;)

What would you like? Only Protestant sources? What is your point?

Patient Mary

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

I do recall you making the "inhumane" comment in a previous post.

Let me start off by saying that ANYONE who does the following is inhumane, un-Christ like and a sinner:

Kill (or give the death penalty), torture, imprison, take the property of, kick out of their home and home town anyone that disagrees with church leadership on doctrine (commonly known as a heretic).

It is WELL documented that both the Catholic AND Protestant church LEADERS condoned, implemented and did ALL of the above.\

Therefor I fail to understand how you can say that you "can't equate what happened under Protestantism" with what happened under the CC? THEY BOTH DID THE SAME THING which means they were EQUAL in their actions and words.

If your playing a numbers game
then yes, the CC leaders did these things to more people than the Protestant church leaders did. Is that what you are suggesting? The Catholic Church has been around for 2,000 years and the Protestant churches only 500 years. The CC leaders have had a longer time frame to commit these atrocities....however there is no excuse for any of them. One must also look at history thru medieval eyes instead of our current rose colored glasses. Things were handled ALOT different back then and it was almost considered "normal".

Mary
You want I should say one is better because it didn't last as long or kill as many?
No, Mary...I'm not going to do that.
BOTH were wrong.
BOTH did not practice their Christianity.f

In the case of P. it was men here and there and some leaders that led the way.
In the case of the cc, it was Rome that led the way (or was it Avignon at that time too? - can't remember).

I say we drop this whole discussion. It does no one any good.
I just heard on the news that many Christians were killed in central Africa...they didn't say which country.

This is going on right now. NO ONE is doing anything to stop these atrocities.
Animals treat each other better than humans do.