Born Again or Christian? Is there a difference and what is your biblical support ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Catholics believe - are taught - that they are born again when they are baptised as babies
Well I never, I can honestly say I never knew that, so, they have been indoctrinated to believe right from a baby that they are Born Again, is that right @Pearl?

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my goodness! You really have got it in for me haven't you. The fruit I speak of is the fruit produced by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And we have been given the gift of discernment so that we can test the spirit. And as scripture says:
Matthew 7:20
Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Meaning that as Christians, who are spiritually reborn, we are able to recognise others who are also born again and oppositely those who are not.

A thought just occurred to me, are you a Catholic who believes that infant baptism gave you born again status - I know that is what they believe.

I really don't want to get into a war of words with you or anybody, just have a friendly conversation.
No, I don't have it in for you.

No, I am not Catholic.

And it is not about a war of words. It is about knowing and understanding what a Christian is and what born again is. As some, besides me, have pointed out, one born again is a Christian. If one does not know and understand that, then it is a question that they are either.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As @Nancy pointed out to this member.

Have you not read Jesus words??

New International Version
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

New Living Translation
Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.”

English Standard Version
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Berean Standard Bible
Jesus replied, “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.”

King James Bible
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Reactions: Nancy

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aside from all the strutting about I lately read here,
One here calls herself a born again, but not a Christian. What do you make of that?
I am one such (male). "Christian" is a mere label; "born again" (or "believer") is an action.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One here calls herself a born again, but not a Christian. What do you make of that?
Well... as 'Christian' means 'follower of Christ' it is not possible to be born again and not be a Christian.

Reactions: JBO

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics believe - are taught - that they are born again when they are baptised as babies. And they seem to be unhappy to accept that as adult they need to make the choice for themselves.
It’s our choice to be born again?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe that the new birth is an act of God.

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
— John 1:13

The sons of God— those born of God are made manifest in that they love with the love of God towards their fellow man.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
— 1 John 3:9-11

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well... as 'Christian' means 'follower of Christ' it is not possible to be born again and not be a Christian.

Please show me in Gods word, not your opinion that you have just voiced.

Where it says...it is not possible to be Born Again and not be a Christian?

So far, all I have read are opinions, ...not one word from the word of God....therefore like my opinions, none of which are of Gods word.

SO....all of “ our” opinions don’t stand on the word of God....therefore all opinions on this thread are void of Gods truth.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, I don't have it in for you.

No, I am not Catholic.

And it is not about a war of words. It is about knowing and understanding what a Christian is and what born again is. As some, besides me, have pointed out, one born again is a Christian. If one does not know and understand that, then it is a question that they are either.
Then please back up what you say here with scripture?

All you have done here is voice “ once again “ your opinion.

If one does not know and understand that, then it is a question that they are either,......please be more specific, what are you talking about in this sentence and please back it up with scripture?

A Born Again?

A Christian?

You were also told by an admin to watch your words.

So, please don’t get personal....

What is the difference between a Born Again and a Christian?....where does Gods word say they are exactly the same?

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The born of God have the effectual love towards all men the Jesus had. This is why the people who witnessed them in the first century called them Christians. This effectual love they displayed was especially to those of the faith.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Finally someone who reads and studies the bible rationally and spiritually.
Please back up what you say, using scripture, as this is your own personal opinion.

Also please show in scripture that you must read the Bible rationally and spiritually to become Born of the Spirit?

Please also explain what you mean when you say who reads the Bible spiritually?

What does reading the Bible spiritually mean?

God also says we must be Born of the Spirit.....what does Born of the Spirit mean?

Is being Born of the Spirit an act of God .......or does the Bible say that being Born of the Spirit is an act of man?

Please use scripture to back up your opinions....on what you believe the word of God to be saying.

If a Born Again must be Born of the Spirit.....why must we be Born of the Spirit?

Can you understand the word of God without the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The born of God have the effectual love towards all men the Jesus had. This is why the people who witnessed them in the first century called them Christians. This effectual love they displayed was especially to those of the faith.
A Born Again..are they under the New Covenant?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks....I think the New Covenant should be discussed on another topic...sorry I went off topic.

I may start another topic on the New Covenant.
It’s fascinating to me that first John he states that for the Sons of God it is impossible that they don’t love one another.

Because His seed remains.