Calling all Law Keepers.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great Willie!
The laws come to all of us because God has spoken them.
The Israelites did not know the laws, thus God gave them.
Ditto for us.
We only know them because they have been told to us.
My concern, I guess, is the way so any people "understand" certain "laws" through what they swear is the interpretation of The Spirit. To wit: Mormons, JW's, and the Westboro Baptist Church...... to only name a few of the more obvious offenders.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My concern, I guess, is the way so any people "understand" certain "laws" through what they swear is the interpretation of The Spirit. To wit: Mormons, JW's, and the Westboro Baptist Church...... to only name a few of the more obvious offenders.
Amen to that.
ONE spirit.
So many interpretations.
I like sticking to scripture...
And mainline churches that teach us what God wants us to know and BE.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let me ask a question in tandem with the OP. What is so irritating about Christians who want to keep the law? At least that's what I am sensing.

Very sorry...I overlooked you post for some reason ..I have just found it on the other page.
It isn't "irritating" if THEY or (you?) want to try and do that.
But I see it as wrong to tell others that they must living keeping the law.

I notice that you, like most others but one...have not said just how well you can do that...keep the laws that is. Because my bible tells me that if I chose to live by the law, I must keep all the law. They must all be very amazing people if those who say we must keep the law can actually do it...and really do love all their neighbours , and never falter on anything at all written in the sermon on the mount...almost perfect.
Yet all but one has not said how they actually DO it in real life.

Until I am told by a certain few how they live what they propagate..I cannot believe that they actually do believe what they say!!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask a question in tandem with the OP. What is so irritating about Christians who want to keep the law? At least that's what I am sensing.
All well and good...... as long as those people do not try to tell others they have to follow "the law" as it is seen by them.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am a "Grace Person." And I am often ridiculed for it. But, I firmly believe that we also need an objective system of belief and behavior to live by. And that can never come from just the "inside" of each individual.

I think it is a very dangerous thing to ignore the fact that we are creatures who require "Laws."

Once the "inside" is complete, it will show up on the "outside" and that is the work of the Holy Spirit and if the Holy Spirit doesn't get the credit than you are just an external and an internal Christian of your own making.

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen to that.
ONE spirit.
So many interpretations.
I like sticking to scripture...
And mainline churches that teach us what God wants us to know and BE.
Yes. I am far from "Liturgical", but I do think there is a lot to be said for "creeds" and "Statements of Faith" as long-ago settled by large teams of learned men down through the ages.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, so far it seems like only one person in this thread can say how she keeps the law.
@VictoryinJesus
Wrote:-

///The thread title: calling all law keepers

Everyday I sin: whether it be coveting, anger, doubt, fear, complaining, smoking; the list is endless.
Even though I don't want to, I sin.
Thankfully, my relationship with God is not based on what I do but what He did. Therefore; I am a law keeper.
I walk perfect and blameless and upright with hope and faith in what was prepared by God. Jesus Christ is the only way.
The more I focus on TRYing to be perfect through the flesh, the less I focus on His gift and praising Him for what He has already done and loving others.
There is great freedom in the removal of the yoke of bondage. It is true: His burden is light.///

Reactions: Pisteuo

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Treating people with respect and overlooking and forgiving their shortcomings is the fulfillment of the Law.

I can only treat people with respect by knowing how much God loves me and can only forgive others by knowing how much I have been forgiven. Sometimes, I forget this and don't love and forgive as I should but Jesus is the fulfillment of the law, not me and He will work in me what needs to be worked out.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't realize there was a question to answer. But, I keep the law very much the way St. Augustine said he did.
I trust that I am trying to be in God's will, and I, therefore, simply live life as I want to, believing my desires will align with His will. I am not of the Calvinist view that my every thought is evil. I know better. Yes, I have negative, and even nasty, reactions at times. But, that is not my desire, and I seldom pursue those paths for long.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I can only treat people with respect by knowing how much God loves me and can only forgive others by knowing how much I have been forgiven. Sometimes, I forget this and don't love and forgive as I should but Jesus is the fulfillment of the law, not me and He will work in me what needs to be worked out.
to that i would say "amen," as far as that goes, but couldn't you also resist and prevent these from being "worked out?"

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very sorry...I overlooked you post for some reason ..I have just found it on the other page.
It isn't "irritating" if THEY or (you?) want to try and do that.
But I see it as wrong to tell others that they must living keeping the law.

I notice that you, like most others but one...have not said just how well you can do that...keep the laws that is. Because my bible tells me that if I chose to live by the law, I must keep all the law. They must all be very amazing people if those who say we must keep the law can actually do it...and really do love all their neighbours , and never falter on anything at all written in the sermon on the mount...almost perfect.
Yet all but one has not said how they actually DO it in real life.

Until I am told by a certain few how they live what they propagate..I cannot believe that they actually do believe what they say!!

Live by the Law or justified by? I think the passage you have in mind is Galatians 5:1-6 in which Paul is addressing those who keep the Law to be justified. I don't think any "Law keepers" here are saying that.

Now.. I think most Law Keepers are NOT saying this >> Buying a PERFECT bouquet of flowers will win me love from the person of my affections.

I DO think they are saying this>>> We love each other therefore I am getting a bouquet of flowers because I love him or her. Oops! Two flowers fell out. Oh well, I know they like them anyway because our love does not depend on them. But I got them because he or she loves them. My next bouquet will be better.

As for the judgmental part I DO think some are saying to others >> You say you love them, but what have you done to show that love? You bought no flowers they love because you say that they are not needed and instead sit around watching TV all day.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
grace is about a lot more than the forgiveness of sins, or keeping the law. We are told that the law is insufficient because grace demands your life, not just your obedience to the law, which should not even be an issue any longer once the remedy is understood.

"Count the cost" does not seem to be getting a hearing, and i am noting that some are surprised by "deny yourself," is why i say this.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
wouldn't those crying 'Lord, Lord' be saying amen here, too? How do we differentiate then?

Maybe the biggest difference is some will have faith in Jesus while others have the faith of Jesus and if you have faith in Jesus you need to take up the slack but if you have the faith of Jesus, there is no slack to take up.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You say you love them, but what have you done to show that love? You bought no flowers they love because you say that they are not needed and instead sit around watching TV all day.

Nothing wrong with sitting around watching tv all day, catching up on all your favorite shows and flower buying means you expect something in return, yes?

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with sitting around watching tv all day, catching up on all your favorite shows and flower buying means you expect something in return, yes?

I never thought of it that way when I give flowers.

That's the difference between love and putting on a show.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So.... the question is how well do I keep the Law? not perfectly, but it is fulfilled in ways by God's work in me by faith. So it's not my works, but His. When I try to interfere is when the problems begin (because what is works is not of faith). That's the whole point of being forgiven, to do good works and pick up where fallen man left off because of Adam's sin. Otherwise one missed the whole point of the cross: it isn't to dote forever at the repaired (or new) man, but to continue on now with God's power the way it was supposed to be.

Is the Law nullified through our faith? Not really. Rather, we uphold the Law.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Helen