Calvinism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly, that is to be expected (in most cases). Calvinism brainwashes Christians to the point that they cannot even understand plain Scriptures refuting their doctrines.

I believe it was Socrates who said...When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the purpose of John was the prepare the way of the Messiah and was ordained by God then no human choice would stop that.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You guys state that God will choose certain people but yet they're maintaining free will...What if John said no? Could he have?

That is a good question.

When God chooses a person...he already knows what that person will do. In that case everything is about learning more about God and yourself.

But that chosen person also calls out to many...apart from God's intervention.

Many are simply called...not chosen.

So then if you receive a prophet in the name of a prophet...you get a prophet's reward.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy
1 John 5:14-15 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him.

Since you state it is the will of God for all to be saved, when you pray for someone to have God bring them to repentance and they never repent, how do you reason with that in light of the scripture above? If it was God's will then it would have to happen. The hard reality is that there are things that we desire that are not in His will.

I reason that God certainly did answer my prayer to bring them into truth but, if that interferes with their free will, He will not force. I do believe He does convict those I pray for a constant growing desire to know him as I can SEE it happening before my own eyes. It might take a day or 10 or more years to see the manifestation of our prayers. Have you ever prayed for someone to be free of an addiction whether drugs, alcohol, tobacco...and the prayer not be answered? Do you believe it was God's will that that person remain in bondage to the damaging addiction? I don't. I see the person themselves in bondage to Satan and loving their addiction more than the things of God. Do you believe that every person who heeds Gods call, came to Him in the exact same way?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God has to kickstart certain people, as it were. But in the end God treats all the same...graded on the curve according to their faithfulness with what they have been given.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reason that God certainly did answer my prayer to bring them into truth but, if that interferes with their free will, He will not force. I do believe He does convict those I pray for a constant growing desire to know him as I can SEE it happening before my own eyes. It might take a day or 10 or more years to see the manifestation of our prayers. Have you ever prayed for someone to be free of an addiction whether drugs, alcohol, tobacco...and the prayer not be answered? Do you believe it was God's will that that person remain in bondage to the damaging addiction? I don't. I see the person themselves in bondage to Satan and loving their addiction more than the things of God. Do you believe that every person who heeds Gods call, came to Him in the exact same way?

You're telling me that you have a 100% success rate in answered prayers? We all come from different backgrounds but the conviction is the same. Whether one is a drug addict or a single mom, once convicted of sin and shown the light of the Gospel they will embrace it.

I've had unanswered prayers before in the past, but it worked out better because it was God's will. What I'm trying to state is that not everything we desire is in God's will.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're telling me that you have a 100% success rate in answered prayers? We all come from different backgrounds but the conviction is the same. Whether one is a drug addict or a single mom, once convicted of sin and shown the light of the Gospel they will embrace it.

I've had unanswered prayers before in the past, but it worked out better because it was God's will. What I'm trying to state is that not everything we desire is in God's will.
Yes, I am very well aware we are to only pray His will if an answer is expected. My faith says, yes-I believe, whether or not I SEE it:
1 John 5:14-15 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him."

D

Dave L

The gift is SALVATION (ETERNAL LIFE).

One receives that gift by believing the Gospel and obeying it. So the gift is definitely not "believing".

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Why do you continue to DISTORT Gospel truth and Bible truth?

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22)

Reactions: LC627

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I am very well aware we are to only pray His will if an answer is expected. My faith says, yes-I believe, whether or not I SEE it:
1 John 5:14-15 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him."

If you prayed for every unsaved soul in your neighborhood to be saved do you believe it would happen?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22)
FAITHFULNESS!!!!! BIG DIFFERENCE! You keep calling it "faith" and it is NOT the same.

D

Dave L

FAITHFULNESS!!!!! BIG DIFFERENCE! You keep calling it "faith" and it is NOT the same.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,” (Galatians 5:22)

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can one know before judgment day?

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is our "seal of salvation"

Reactions: Dave L

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 8:16 - The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is our "seal of salvation"

You are not talking about ultimate salvation here but election. A person can be saved at judgment by mercy without knowing he/she will. Just like many will be rejected and only find out at that time.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos If you are a Believer there is no question about it. You don't have to wonder or speculate - you have eternal life.

Reactions: Dave L

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It appears you are implying that people will be saved apart from Christ.

What are you talking about? Jesus is still living....and He continues to live to judgment day and into eternity.

Do you deny this?

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about? Jesus is still living....and He continues to live to judgment day and into eternity.

Do you deny this?

People will be saved by mercy without knowing it? How do you not know you're a believer?