Can a Christian Backslide/lose salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin

Dec 28, 2007
(crooner;41748)
Ryan When scripture said Lord Lord I did all these these things in your name. These people were hearing a different gospel. They did not have a personal relationship with the lord. Either legalism ot antinomesim was being preachedat that time to that group. That text is always taken out of context to prove your point. You cannot work your way to heaven. It takes a personal relationship to be saved. Lord said I never knew you. That means they dindt know him either.Look my friend I know you have a personal relationship with the lord, and theres nothing you can do to lose it except to openly tell God you want out of your relationship. Even then He knows you probably dont really mean it. It is almost impossible for Him to let go after you gave your life to him.Dont forget how he changed Pauls mind by blinding him. Dont think he wouldnt do that to you or I if he needed to change our mind.Bless you brother
How come every scripture about backsliding refers to all these select groups of people? At some time Bro it refers to us... Arent we all special though? Baptist to Methodist to Pentecostal to non denom... We are all different. Bro, fact of the matter is the warnings to the churches in Revelation was just that... warnings to saved, confessing Christians - the church. They are full of admonitions about backsliding and deception and those who have and are falling away... And Jesus removing their candlestick

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
(followerofchrist;41740)
How can you just flat out deny all the scripture that has been posted. People can fall away. If you accept christ and choose to follow him you are saved. But if the very next day you CHOOSE to follow Satan than you purposely gave up your salvation. This has already been pointed out to you many times on this thread and it seems that you are attempting to just ignore the obvious facts so that you can keep your unbiblical dream of once saved always saved no matter what.
I have proved and offered proof, it is quite biblical! It sorrows me that it can not be seen and that so many must question God.If you offer any obvious fact I will be more that glad to take them into consideration, but no one has yet to do so. All that has been offered to what I have given is rebuttal of God's word. AGAIN...God does not contradict Himself.How can you call Scripture unbiblical? Call God a liar? Call me anything you wish, I honestly could care less, but by saying the scripture I have given is not biblical, you are calling God a liar, and that my friend is sickening.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
(Franklin;41758)
How come every scripture about backsliding refers to all these select groups of people? At some time Bro it refers to us... Arent we all special though? Baptist to Methodist to Pentecostal to non denom... We are all different. Bro, fact of the matter is the warnings to the churches in Revelation was just that... warnings to saved, confessing Christians - the church. They are full of admonitions about backsliding and deception and those who have and are falling away... And Jesus removing their candlestick
Goes to show that as Christians we are not always right huh...like we think we are 99.9% of the time....

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
agreed follower, LGF, Franklinforgivenwench once saved always saved is not biblical at all you can see by all the verses given that one can show verses going both ways there fore you must take rightly diving the word and context into account to get the truth of it and there is No doctrine of OSAS you seem to assume God takes it away in you fall, wrong. It is your own free will and choice that throws it away God offers Grace to All its one own choice to accept and keep it or throw it away one can reclaim it, If they chose, but it is not guarteed if you do take a active part. Salvation is a gift offered you must earn it by accepting Christ and repenting its not a right you deserve

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
(kriss;41767)
agreed follower, LGF, Franklinforgivenwench once saved always saved is not biblical at all you can see by all the verses given that one can show verses going both ways there fore you must take rightly diving the word and context into account to get the truth of it and there is No doctrine of OSAS you seem to assume God takes it away in you fall, wrong. It is your own free will and choice that throws it away God offers Grace to All its one own choice to accept and keep it or throw it away one can reclaim it, If they chose, but it is not guarteed if you do take a active part. Salvation is a gift offered you must earn it by accepting Christ and repenting its not a right you deserve
It most certainly is! OSAS! One can NOT throw away that which they never possessed. Herein lies our differences. Again several verses have been brought up to go against the ones I posted. I'm sorry but the Bible does not work that way! You can not use it against it self which is exactly what is trying to be done. It does NOT work like that.Salvation IS NOT EARNED! I am the first to admit that I do not deserve it, but God saves differently. But once it is accepted IT CAN NOT BE LOST! and no one can prove other wise.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The bible does Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? These were believers Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Mat 7:24 ¶ Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock This verse literly states that one who, dosent believe their salvation can be lost is the wise one and there house (faith) is built on the rock these verses proves salvation can be lost knowing this keeps on the path and makes you a wise man

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
(Franklin;41758)
We cant truly be converted unless we hear the real gospel. Most churches seem to preach at half mass. Some preach cheap grace and some preach it from a legalistic approach. The secret to it is relationship as in Matt He never knew them. Its simple and yet complex, but it is what it is. Its free, its love,its God with us. It changes us. It allows us to love one another like Jesus does.God bless

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
(kriss;41773)
The bible does Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? These were believers Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Mat 7:24 ¶ Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock This verse literly states that one who, dosent believe their salvation can be lost is the wise one and there house (faith) is built on the rock these verses proves salvation can be lost knowing this keeps on the path and makes you a wise man
No ma'amI must disagree....If God never knew You(In general) then you were never truly saved. There are too many people that claim to be Christian but are only lying to themselves and God. Those are the ones God is talking about. Any one can be a believer. Believing alone does not save! I am saved, and I will never loose my salvation.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I have to agree with you here, UFW(I hope those are the right initials-LOL). How could we think our righteousness in and of itself could ever be sufficient. Our righteousness is wrapped up only in the fact that we are saved and Jesus' blood has covered our sins; hence, it is a faith issue and we are saved by grace through faith. We don't extend the grace. He does. We provide the faith and He does the rest. I think if we are sincere, we never do lose our salvation. Look at 2 Peter chapter 1. Peter is talking about those who backslide like he did and how they need to be reminded of their inheritance in the faith. Remember that ALL of the disciples fled at Jesus' arrest, trial, etc. But, Peter and John came back to Him. They were rendered usable as were all of the others, except Judas, who never was real to begin with.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(forgivenWretch;41791)
No ma'amI must disagree....If God never knew You(In general) then you were never truly saved. There are too many people that claim to be Christian but are only lying to themselves and God. Those are the ones God is talking about. Any one can be a believer. Believing alone does not save! I am saved, and I will never loose my salvation.
You are again confusing two different things you are correct in as far as you go but thats not what OSAS is all about I ask you again If I go start following Satan tomarrow and claimed he was my god a dont repent and I still be saved ???Osas means you can except Christ get baptised and then do what ever you want and it does not matter cause your saved you can break all the comandments whatever now you can claimm they were not really saved but your words dont matter the person believing the OSAS doctrine does believe them it is a false doctrine andf not in scriptureTo be saved we must always strive to do our best and walk with the Lord to best our ability and always repent when we fall short

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Admiting that you can fall away has nothing to do with works.you could be the most wretched person imaginable and as long as you repent and ask for forgiveness you are saved. But take that you don't repent from your sins. How can God offer a forgiveness that you would not accept. and how could God let your sin into heaven as you have never recieved that forgiveness. The gift of christ's death is unconditional but you have to accept it. And just because you accepted it once does not mean that you could never deny it.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Kriss, I'm sorry, my girl, but you're speaking about something you do not know in the "once saved always saved" doctrine in the way its believed and taught. It may be attempted to be abused by people, although they are deluding themselves, but we by no means take our grace gift as a liscense to sin. I am rather hurt about this. As the apostle Paul says, "May it never be! Where sin did abound grace did abound all the more." You guys are missing an important point. Once God's Holy Spirit has sealed you, you can't become a Satan worshipper. A house divided will not stand. It's impossible. You clearly never believed in the Jesus I serve with your whole heart. Once you see Jesus for who He really is, you can't help but love Him and serve Him. You are not the same person you used to be. Yes, you will be tempted. Yes, you may "fall away" for a time, but true believers will always come back. If they die in their sins, they can still go to heaven. Guess what! We will probably all die with some type of sin that's unconfessed since we don't know when we are going to die. Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for all of that. He can see past what we haven't "done" and know what our true love or intent is. Sure we need to strive for holiness, but the Lord remembers that we are dust. He has already made a way. He is the way. We can rest in that. It's not Him plus anything needed for salvation. He said on the cross, "It is finished!" That's all that needed to be done. If our relationship with Christ depended upon us, that would be a joke. He is the very sustainer of our being. We can't take another breath without His ordaining it. I think OSAS doctrine shows a greater love and respect for Christ because I see that I am totally dependent on Him. I am powerless to change myself. I must fall on my knees at the cross and trust Him to cover me and keep me until that day. Yes, I have purposed to cling to Him, but should I fall, He's like the Father in the story of the Prodigal Son, waiting, running to meet me, to embrace me, kiss me, and take me back in as His very own. I never lost my "sonship".

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(forgivenWretch;41759)
I have proved and offered proof, it is quite biblical! It sorrows me that it can not be seen and that so many must question God.If you offer any obvious fact I will be more that glad to take them into consideration, but no one has yet to do so. All that has been offered to what I have given is rebuttal of God's word. AGAIN...God does not contradict Himself.How can you call Scripture unbiblical? Call God a liar? Call me anything you wish, I honestly could care less, but by saying the scripture I have given is not biblical, you are calling God a liar, and that my friend is sickening.
I have in no way called God a liar!! I didn't see you post any scripture, all I saw was Ryan's super long post full of scripture and then you just denying it! I will go back and find the post where you have put scripture but the post I was referring to you had no scripture.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(forgivenWretch;41722)
kriss...doctrine is man made, but OSAS is biblical and is God's Word. You are here: God >> Once Saved, Always Saved Once Saved, Always Saved – The Biblical EvidenceThe Bible teaches “once saved, always saved” -- that we can be saved once and for all only through a repentant, saving faith in Jesus Christ. Once a person has accepted Christ as Savior, they may wonder if it is possible to lose that salvation. What if they commit a sin? What if they commit a lot of sins? What if they do something very, very wrong? Is it possible to be saved, and then lose that salvation? Fortunately, the answer is a resounding “no.” Once a person has accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, he/she is forever saved. This fact is referred to as the doctrine of “eternal security,” often summarized as “once saved, always saved.” There are several reasons why a person can be confident in their “eternal security.” First and foremost is the evidence of Scripture. [url="http://www.allaboutgod.com/truth/john-3.htm]John 3:15-18[/url] says about Christ: “The Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.” The [url="http://www.allaboutgod.com/prayer-of-salvation.htm]salvation in Christ[/url] is not temporary, it is eternal. In [url="http://www.allaboutgod.com/truth/john-10.htm#28]John 10:28-30[/url], Jesus says: “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." The forgiveness of God through Christ is sufficient to cover all of our sins -- past, present, and future. There is nothing a person can do that God cannot forgive. This doctrine is supported by Romans 8:38-39, Ephesians 4:30, and Jude 24, among others. Here is the PROOF! Directly for the bible and God Himself. There is no other scripture that can be offered that changes this in any manner shape or form...OSAS is GUARANTEED BY GOD...the proof is in His hands, just check out the nail scars.
Here you go FOC Its quoted above I would prove it false but I'm practically falling asleep
smile.gif
plus I think I have enough scripture

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
I'm getting confused. Are you supporting what Forgiven is saying, Ryan, or are you saying you don't agree? Just wonderin'.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
No Follower of christ was trying to dig up which post Forgiven wretch had biblical evidence wrong So I did it for him. as you have seen I am against OSAS

WildB

Mar 19, 2008
I am a Overcomer born again of God, graffed in and SEALED until the day of REDEMTION.For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God:And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemptionHe that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Amen, WB! Thanks FOC. I thought you were against OSAS, but I was getting a little confused by your post. Maybe it was just me. I think we can all agree that it is evident to see those that love the Lord our God and live for Him. I think the Holy Spirit gives us discernment about those that aren't right if we ask Him and listen- that's the key! Sometimes we don't listen and don't want to listen. We just want to do all of the talking. Prayer is a two-way communication with Christ. For those who are confused by this OSAS issue that has been brought up, just make sure you have called upon the one true God and accepted Him through faith in Jesus Christ ALONE, as there is no other way. If you go the wrong way, repent, turn around and do the former works which you once did, like the Bible says. Your love for Christ will draw you back to Him if you are a new creation in Him. We are saved by grace, but rewarded by works.

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
(Letsgofishing;41850)
Here you go FOC Its quoted above I would prove it false but I'm practically falling asleep
smile.gif
plus I think I have enough scripture
Ryan attempt all you wish, but the only thing that you may accomplish is as stated over and over, you continue to call God a liar.! Scripture CANNOT refute Scripture...why can you not get that through that your stubborn think skull. God is not a liar! nor is His word. There is absolutely no contradiction, whatsoever in the bible. If you wish to cloud the minds of other Christians and non-Christians then God have mercy on your soul! Do NOT bother on my account. I am a born again, saved by His Grace, Christian, and He has guaranteed my salvation whether or not you wish to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.