Can a Christian have a demon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@illini1959

So be it. Have it your way with your understanding of the scriptures. We will have to disagree and wait for the full revelation to be revealed to us.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we are to resist against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places, then we are resisting their possession/control of people/us.
Not "their possession" but their oppression. Demons can neither possess nor control Christians for the simple reason that Christians have God the Holy Spirit within them. But God does allow evil spirits and demons to (1) attack, (2) oppress, (3) disease, (4) disable, and (5) generally harass Christians in every way. That is why the armor has been provided. Paul was allowed to have a painful physical disability ("thorn") in his body ("flesh") which originated with Satan to attack ("buffet") him.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not "their possession" but their oppression. Demons can neither possess nor control Christians for the simple reason that Christians have God the Holy Spirit within them. But God does allow evil spirits and demons to (1) attack, (2) oppress, (3) disease, (4) disable, and (5) generally harass Christians in every way. That is why the armor has been provided. Paul was allowed to have a painful physical disability ("thorn") in his body ("flesh") which originated with Satan to attack ("buffet") him.

So what is the Book of Job all about, then?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what is the Book of Job all about, then?
The Book of Job was about God allowing Satan to attack him but for the purpose of testing his faith by fire....the bible says we will all have our faith tried by fire....Job had great faith in God and was obedient to follow all commandments. He was a righteous man who feared Him and who worshipped Him faithfully. God had multiplied blessings to him as He promises He will do to those who are faithful. And God protected Job against any enemy or attack from Satan up until this time.
I did find where Job by his own confession stated "that thing i FEARED the most has come upon me".
So that makes you question was Job's faith strong enough to trust God's judgment in allowing this to happen or would he become angry and bitter and turn from Him.
It also reveals that Job feared any type of disaster against him and his family.
This kind of fear presents a hint of his lack of faith in trusting God to keep a hedge of protection around him. So Job faced the reality that he had a weakness and in the end accepted the Will of God in his life. (His faith endured the test)
In the end God multiplied 100 fold all that he had lost.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Such a long, convoluted and scattered post that does not really say much except a few opinionated claims.
When you understand who Jesus Christ is then you will understand who he truly is and truly respect him.
The Jews were always a bunch of looses when they rejected God and always will be.
Why should anyone look up to fools who reject Jesus Christ.
That's as simple as I can put it for you.
But I will try again, the Jews were lost when Jesus came and only the true Israelites came to Jesus in the day, as Holy Moses said it would be, not to mention Jesus pointed out who was truly who.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Book of Job was about God allowing Satan to attack him but for the purpose of testing his faith by fire....the bible says we will all have our faith tried by fire....Job had great faith in God and was obedient to follow all commandments. He was a righteous man who feared Him and who worshipped Him faithfully. God had multiplied blessings to him as He promises He will do to those who are faithful. And God protected Job against any enemy or attack from Satan up until this time.
I did find where Job by his own confession stated "that thing i FEARED the most has come upon me".
So that makes you question was Job's faith strong enough to trust God's judgment in allowing this to happen or would he become angry and bitter and turn from Him.
It also reveals that Job feared any type of disaster against him and his family.
This kind of fear presents a hint of his lack of faith in trusting God to keep a hedge of protection around him. So Job faced the reality that he had a weakness and in the end accepted the Will of God in his life. (His faith endured the test)
In the end God multiplied 100 fold all that he had lost.
Job is a very searching book; 'Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him'...

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job is a very searching book; 'Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him'...
Yes and Job keeps me in check when I start having a pity party when things go wrong...I say well at least I didn't suffer what Job went thru...lol.

Reactions: farouk

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you understand who Jesus Christ is then you will understand who he truly is and truly respect him.
The Jews were always a bunch of looses when they rejected God and always will be.
Why should anyone look up to fools who reject Jesus Christ.
That's as simple as I can put it for you.
But I will try again, the Jews were lost when Jesus came and only the true Israelites came to Jesus in the day, as Holy Moses said it would be, not to mention Jesus pointed out who was truly who.

Well now Reggie boy lets educate you with a few facts.

I know who Jesus is. In fact, I have known who he is for 66 years. Can you beat that?

What is a bunch of looses?

So we should ignore Paul's writings in the New Testament. You know being a Jew and a Jewish Rabbi?

I didn't know Moses was Holy. I thought he was the Prime Minister of Egypt.

That is as simple as I can put it to you, but even so, you may still not understand it.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You said "a" disciple. Disciple just means follower of Christ. The 12 never taught believers could be demon possessed and if that were an issue, why would they not? It would be a pretty big deal...

1 Timothy was an example, certainly not an entire doctrine. I figured you'd realize that.

Of course the armor in Eph 6 is regarding Satan. I didn't say it wasn't, but what it doesn't talk about is possession, which was the point of the post.

The trouble is the flaws in your arguments.

I was talking about the 12 apostles and why they were not the focus of attention in the scriptures.

You never said it was an example, which you should have if that is what you meant. Basic English dear boy.

Of course, it talks about possession as in the wiles of Satan. What do you think that is? Do you really believe that he gives us a clear run to be mighty for God? Of course not. He will do anything he can to trip you up and make you ineffective. If you want to give Satan a run for his money, don't stand on the sidelines. He loves Christians that are lukewarm. he hates Christians that will die for the cause.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well now Reggie boy lets educate you with a few facts.

I know who Jesus is. In fact, I have known who he is for 66 years. Can you beat that?

What is a bunch of looses?

So we should ignore Paul's writings in the New Testament. You know being a Jew and a Jewish Rabbi?

That is as simple as I can put it to you, but even so, you may still not understand it.
I don't have to beat anything but I thought I knew who Jesus was as well for 33 years, but it was not until I was born again, that was when I knew who Christ Jesus truly was. no one can explain who Jesus Christ truly until you are born again. because if you could everyone would be saved directly, now would they not ?

A looser is lost as to God in this case.

So you claim that Moses was not Holy o_O :rolleyes: oh boy ! if it was not for him :confused: ! do you understand what he did, do I have to truly inform you :rolleyes:.

Paul was born again, so he sure did know who Jesus Christ truly is.

Saul was nothing truly he was not found until he became Paul, sure Saul was a great learned Jew of high position and understanding and an honest to God Israelite = (Servant of God) and that is why God spoke to him thus ? so then he was not only just a poor lost Jew who was killing Gods Christians, remember Nathaniel ! Saul would of seen that and all ? not to mention what is it said of Nathaniel when he was being stoned ? pray tell what it was, common and we will know, so I will know if you can understand something at least.

Nathaniel was full of the Holy Spirit and pointed out the facts of the Jews history clearly before they attacked him and all. do you understand what is involved in all that.

Come back good buddy :).

illini1959

May 21, 2019
Central IL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The trouble is the flaws in your arguments.

I was talking about the 12 apostles and why they were not the focus of attention in the scriptures.

Here's what you said:

marksman said:
There is no direct reference to demon possession of a believer I agree, but at the same time, there is no direct reference to any disciple having anything.

You never said it was an example, which you should have if that is what you meant. Basic English dear boy.

There are verses re: sickness, e.g.,

Do you know what e.g. means? Even though it's Latin meaning 'for example', it's taught in that Basic English you're admonishing me about.

I'm not a boy ;)

Of course, it talks about possession as in the wiles of Satan. What do you think that is? Do you really believe that he gives us a clear run to be mighty for God? Of course not. He will do anything he can to trip you up and make you ineffective. If you want to give Satan a run for his money, don't stand on the sidelines. He loves Christians that are lukewarm. he hates Christians that will die for the cause.

Please post chapter and verse where possession of a believer is taught, used as an example, shown where an Apostle cast a demon out of a believer - I'll take any of those.

I've never even suggested satan gives us a clear run to be mighty for God. I've always acknowledged demonic oppression and wiles used against a believer. That does not include possession.

The flaw in YOUR argument is even while you say "There is no direct reference to demon possession of a believer I agree" you continue to put your own spin on scripture to try and support it.

That's called eisegesis and it is very dangerous.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

No, Joseph was made the Prime Minister of Egypt around 410 years before Moses was born. Moses was made a Prince by the Pharaoh's sister but the Pharaoh was not happy about that.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here's what you said:

Do you know what e.g. means? Even though it's Latin meaning 'for example', it's taught in that Basic English you're admonishing me about.

I'm not a boy ;)

Please post chapter and verse where possession of a believer is taught, used as an example, shown where an Apostle cast a demon out of a believer - I'll take any of those.

I've never even suggested satan gives us a clear run to be mighty for God. I've always acknowledged demonic oppression and wiles used against a believer. That does not include possession.

The flaw in YOUR argument is even while you say "There is no direct reference to demon possession of a believer I agree" you continue to put your own spin on scripture to try and support it.

What is eisegesis? I only do exegesis.

illini1959

May 21, 2019
Central IL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is eisegesis? I only do exegesis.

It's the opposite of exegesis.

Definition of eisegesis

: the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's the opposite of exegesis.

Definition of eisegesis

: the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas

Ah well, that is not one of my problems. if I cannot find evidence from several sources that agree with each other I leave well alone. They include the Bible; the original Greek/Hebrew; books written by people that are considered experts on the topic; people that have personal experience of the topic; background setting of the topic and so on.

Plady

Aug 3, 2019
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With regard to romans 7, wasn't that supposed to be in "past tense" as in, before Paul had Jesus? I heard somewhere that that was the impression the vast majority of the church had been under until only recent years.