Can Christians Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I have been on this site, I have seen more videos posted by Christians claiming this and that about how something is evil and should be avoided. Yet I have never been exposed to those evils for the most part and find it to be strange Christianity. Like someone is trying to rewrite the bible to suit their needs.

I have a red letter Christian friend that preaches love on Facebook and I always find trouble with his doctrine. And basically he does the same thing and makes up and follows his own interpretation of Christianity instead of finding a church and following Church leaders. I think you'll find that Churches offer "trunk or treat" as a safe alternative to going door to door.

Because evangelicals go by the Bible alone (of course nothing told them to do that and it is not written down) they come up with very strange things and ideas out of their head, it can get pretty trippy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because evangelicals go by the Bible alone (of course nothing told them to do that and it is not written down) they come up with very strange things and ideas out of their head, it can get pretty trippy

OK, I wasn't aware that evangelicals did that. I'm still pretty new to the various denominations. I just read up on evangelicals, and it seems they believe the bible is without error. Something I've heard on forums like this. I often wonder about bible error and interpretation and don't hold so tightly to it.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
According to Wikipedia All Saints day probably started in Antioch, whereas samhain was confined to north west Europe. All Saints day didn't derive from samhain but it may have been moved to 1 November to counteract samhain in the west.

I wouldn't trust wikipedia.
Someone posted a wikipedia article the other day that painted satanic ritual abuse as a conspiracy theory. By that we can see the heart behind such sources.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Since I have been on this site, I have seen more videos posted by Christians claiming this and that about how something is evil and should be avoided

Interesting. What things do they say are evil and need to be avoided? Could you name a few?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Because evangelicals go by the Bible alone (of course nothing told them to do that and it is not written down)

Well golly historyb, don't you think that believing in scripture would go along with a core part of the Christian faith.
In Islam they believe in the Quran
Mormons believe in the writings of Joseph Smith.
Should Christians have less faith than followers of false religions?

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise GOD , helloween is over . NOW let all rejoice in the glorious LORD .

I spoke what was on my heart. No regrets. I say if it is a conviction, follow it. It is just important to question things that has a grain of darkness in it, and that is something no one can deny about Halloween.

God bless all. Peace. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, well meditation is evil. It's emptying yourself to let in evil spirits. Very dangerous.
A lot of good comes from meditation as in the 12 step programs that free people from addiction. "Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him".

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on your definition of meditating. We are supposed to meditate on God's Word: digest it/think about it. Write it on the tablets of our heart.

I think Christmas is whatever is good, lovely, just, pure...to think about these things. Halloween is a day very hard to think about in that way to me.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
A lot of good comes from meditation as in the 12 step programs that free people from addiction. "Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him".

That is meditation on God's word that scripture refers to vs. Eastern - Religion type meditation. Two very different and opposing things.
Which type of "meditation" are you refering to?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is meditation on God's word that scripture refers to vs. Eastern - Religion type meditation. Two very different and opposing things.
Which type of "meditation" are you refering to?
Meditation can be emptying your mind to allow thoughts and feelings to surface at which point you can recover mentally or emotionally from them. Something taught me in 12 step recovery.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well golly historyb, don't you think that believing in scripture would go along with a core part of the Christian faith.
In Islam they believe in the Quran
Mormons believe in the writings of Joseph Smith.
Should Christians have less faith than followers of false religions?
"Mormons" also believe in the Bible. It's just not Sola Scirptura. Honestly, I've never met a pure sola scirptura person.

As to the mediating question: depends on your definition of "mediating". I would say meditating as in "pondering and studying" is a critical part of the Christian walk.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Meditation can be emptying your mind to allow thoughts and feelings to surface at which point you can recover mentally or emotionally from them. Something taught me in 12 step recovery.

Well I'm glad you got help to find recovery.
However, I would state that meditation (emptying your mind) can be unhealthy.

Gods word says to meditate on scripture and fill our minds with it rather than empty.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm glad you got help to find recovery.
However, I would state that meditation (emptying your mind) can be unhealthy.

Gods word says to meditate on scripture and fill our minds with it rather than empty.
Again, the question is "why are you emptying your mind"?
I empty / quiet my mind before studying scriptures, because naturally my mind jumps around like a hyper-caffinated-jack-rabbit. Sitting still, taking some deep breaths, and emptying myself of all of that busy-busy-busy-distractions is a critical part of scripture study. It allows me to put aside all of the worldly stuff, to focus on the most important thing: God. Emptying the worldly is the pre-curser to filling up on the godly.