Can Christians Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Again, the question is "why are you emptying your mind"?
I empty / quiet my mind before studying scriptures, because naturally my mind jumps around like a hyper-caffinated-jack-rabbit. Sitting still, taking some deep breaths, and emptying myself of all of that busy-busy-busy-distractions is a critical part of scripture study. It allows me to put aside all of the worldly stuff, to focus on the most important thing: God. Emptying the worldly is the pre-curser to filling up on the godly.

That is insightful. Thank You.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I wasn't aware that evangelicals did that. I'm still pretty new to the various denominations. I just read up on evangelicals, and it seems they believe the bible is without error. Something I've heard on forums like this. I often wonder about bible error and interpretation and don't hold so tightly to it.

Many do believe the Bible is inerrant though including my Church, Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, and so forth. The problem with evangelicals is their interpretation is fatally flawed because they separate it from everything like Christian history and Holy Tradition so whatever they just happen to think that day is what the Bible says. They would probably make a good Anthropological study :)

Reactions: dev553344

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well golly historyb, don't you think that believing in scripture would go along with a core part of the Christian faith.
In Islam they believe in the Quran
Mormons believe in the writings of Joseph Smith.
Should Christians have less faith than followers of false religions?

Nice twisting, typical evangelical ploy. I never said anything about believing in Scripture

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's November the 2nd here hip hip hooray, now I hope there is are more Christmas threads than Halloween threads.

Here it's November 1st All Saints day. Halloween Monday!
27e5d9905c0478870459b313a5999955.jpg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm glad you got help to find recovery.
However, I would state that meditation (emptying your mind) can be unhealthy.

Gods word says to meditate on scripture and fill our minds with it rather than empty.

This is something taught in counseling. Now before you reply, I'm aware many here are opposed to healthy thinking derived from modern psychology and practices taught from counselors. But I have found emptying your mind a very valuable tool that goes along with recovery. For instance, if I'm abused and injured mentally or emotionally, we can suppress those memories and emotions and continue on in life. And that scarring can cause us to react to others in unhealthy ways. Causing us to even sin against others unintentionally. But if dealt with, and if you can become aware of the damage in your past, you can rid yourself of that damage and go on thru life in a more healthy way. Most people tend to run and hide from their damaged past. And that is something called dissociative identity disorder in extreme cases. One cannot identify with themselves because they are only pain and they can't face themselves. Mental illness along that line is very common from standard childhood damage. And I find that common among Christians. A lot of Christians hide in their religion and then become judgmental instead of looking inward and repairing their damaged lives.

If you really want to make a sound judgment about techniques to recover suppressed memories, you would have to study and get techniques from professionals, although it looks like some have abandoned the techniques, here's an article: Repressed memory - Wikipedia and more currently called: Psychogenic amnesia - Wikipedia

Anyways there appears to be a problem in some individuals with accessing the suppressed memory. Some recall false or distorted memories. The techniques worked for me but apparently it doesn't work for everyone. Clearly a person practicing those techniques should be under the care of a psychologist/psychiatrist team.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here it's November 1st All Saints day. Halloween Monday!
27e5d9905c0478870459b313a5999955.jpg

We had a great Catholic sunday mass online to honor All Saints Day. They couldn't apparently have the children there because of lock downs, but they said they would dress up as their favorite Saint.

Reactions: historyb

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are from the future!!! What is it like over there!!!! (Still november 1st here. 11pm almost) hehe

Nearly November the 3rd here, we are 16 hours ahead of New York time at the moment, since when you have daylight saving (clock going back an hour), we have the end of daylight saving (clock going forward an hour.)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
From Facebook...
I was OK with Halloween until I backslid and played with witchcraft. The UK is mostly blind to the spirit world, and that's why Christianity in the UK is mostly powerless. I've been to Africa/India many times and have seen things that would make your skin crawl. I've seen a man pull a spear through his stomach, out his back with no scars or blood (India). I've seen eye colour change and people's voices change (UK). I've been grabbed by a disembodied hand in my hotel room (Bangalore). The spirit world is very real and extremely eager for an open door. I don't want to share anything more, but I wanted to send out a warning.
So, if I could communicate one thing to Christians celebrating Halloween, it's this...
Don't.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't trust wikipedia.
Someone posted a wikipedia article the other day that painted satanic ritual abuse as a conspiracy theory. By that we can see the heart behind such sources.

I treat it with caution as well. However you provided no evidence for your claim.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Facebook...
I was OK with Halloween until I backslid and played with witchcraft. The UK is mostly blind to the spirit world, and that's why Christianity in the UK is mostly powerless. I've been to Africa/India many times and have seen things that would make your skin crawl. I've seen a man pull a spear through his stomach, out his back with no scars or blood (India). I've seen eye colour change and people's voices change (UK). I've been grabbed by a disembodied hand in my hotel room (Bangalore). The spirit world is very real and extremely eager for an open door. I don't want to share anything more, but I wanted to send out a warning.
So, if I could communicate one thing to Christians celebrating Halloween, it's this...
Don't.

So sorry for your experience. But it is a good thing to know. I at first thought, "Lord, I have two cute kids I can dress up in cute things and NOW You want to convict me?" But Im thankful.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had a great Catholic sunday mass online to honor All Saints Day. They couldn't apparently have the children there because of lock downs, but they said they would dress up as their favorite Saint.

Awesome. My Priest gave two mini homilies, one about the Ordinary reading and one about All Saints

Yes I celebrated it all weekend fishing on the S.F Bay :)

Showoff :D:D:D I love to fish

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesome. My Priest gave two mini homilies, one about the Ordinary reading and one about All Saints

I caught a real nice 20lb white sea bass and a 12lb halibut. My brother and friend combined caught 4 white sea bass and 5 halibut and 2 striped bass and lots of sharks and rays that we released.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I grew up on the bay, we had Salmon, Dungenous Crab. Pretty good stuff.

Reactions: historyb

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I caught a real nice 20lb white sea bass and a 12lb halibut. My brother and friend combined caught 4 white sea bass and 5 halibut and 2 striped bass and lots of sharks and rays that we released.

I was deep rig fishing in the bay, and had a salmon on the line, when I reeled it up it was just the head. Something ate the back half. So we ran the rig down again, and brought up a shark. I was with my grandad and he just cut the line "Nope not bringin that in the boat!" I was bummed cause I wanted to have it stuffed.

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up on the bay, we had Salmon, Dungenous Crab. Pretty good stuff.
I was born in San Francisco in 1960 and grew up fishing the bay all the time until moving to the central valley in 99. I still go as often as I can.

My pic in my profile is a 51ib salmon caught up north of the gate at Duxberry reef. My smaller salmon that day was 46 lbs. An epic day I will never forget back in 96.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sorry for your experience. But it is a good thing to know. I at first thought, "Lord, I have two cute kids I can dress up in cute things and NOW You want to convict me?" But Im thankful.
I bet your kids are cute without costumes and you can dress them up any day...do a theme like "the 20's" or Bible times and do a little photo shoot. Dressup can be fun and a teachable moment. It doesn't need to be a celebration of a satanic holiday (as you know).

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I treat it with caution as well. However you provided no evidence for your claim.
I and my body ...and my children and grandbaby who have suffered ...are proof. And I posted links of proven cases for any who care to know the truth.

Reactions: teamventure