Can Jesus and Paul be reconciled on the LAW?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And the two guys on the road to Emmaus, not to mention all the other Apostles, KNEW it was "the end" (just as you say you do now) when they reflected on what they saw.

"Faith" is not going by what you are seeing around you. As I said before, no one here can do much for your lack of faith. You will need to work that out with God.
I can only put my faith in Jesus and continue to remain obedient to what I am commanded to do and to repent where I fail.
Jesus will remain so I cleave to his teaching first and foremost.
Thanks for your kind words.

Reactions: Waiting on him

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Lady, I suppose I should have added the word "faith" after grace. Eph. 2:8 - "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" and John 13:34 - "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." Commandment = Law = Rules to live by = Truth. If there is only one way to accomplish something or one truth it becomes equal to a law, imo. Grace is the only way any of us are saved and of our faith in His grace. We can only love each other the way Christ commanded if we try our best to love others as He did and that can only be done by offering them the same grace (forgiveness) that he gives us when we are wronged or hurt in some way.

Yes. Here is another scripture.

You put it as the law of grace by faith in Christ. And Romans 8:2 puts it another way, but means the same, and clarifies what is grace. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ. Thus grace is the power of the Spirit, and life equals faith. We not only have faith in Christ, but live our lives according to that faith, by walking in the Spirit.

Many times grace is misunderstood as being some kind of merciful exemption or pass. This is the biggest error in the Church. In other words, God overlooks our sin. This is not true. That error led some to theorize that grace is a license to sin. Jude says those teaching this error were turning the grace of God into lasciviousness. We know by Semitic writing styles of the apostles that according to Acts 2:33 a "doubling" or "parallelism" is used to clarify what is grace.

33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.

By His power, Jesus has freed us from sin, making us dead to sin, and no longer slaves to sin by His Spirit. We are no longer sinners; we are sons. John 8:34-36, 1 John 3:5.

Even the gifts of the Spirit are called grace gifts, or gifts of power.

Last edited:

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They sent him

Possibly, this is actually alot of where I am in my reading material, Paul may of been on the run also, being wanted for the murder of Stephen and fled to Damascus to seek protection from his old contacts or acquired muscle..... but I am still in doubt until it can be proven by scripture. There is a lot of hate online for Paul which could muddy the waters while I'm looking for clear answers, it is easy to get biased and get all puffed up, then learn one biblical line that might of avoided my attention and that changes everything.
Hence while my mind is not 100% closed to Paul (which would leave me then questioning Peter then it could go like dominos and that would be awful) I pray for insight and cleave to the truth of Jesus.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace.

In other words, the Spirit of Power.

33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. This heavenly power is given to all who repent, and is called the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Danube

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How in the world can saying "grace is unmerited favor" be erroneous when that is exactly what it is? Favor is either unmerited or meritorious, and unless it's possible to earn it, it's unmerited.

Grace is "getting that which you don't deserve".
Mercy is "not getting that which you do deserve".

We must repent in order to receive this grace/power. If it was unmerited, then we wouldn't have to repent, the whole world would be saved, called Universalism - a false doctrine.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, the Spirit of Power.

33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. This heavenly power is given to all who repent, and is called the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
That’s one reason why I say tough to answer!!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would simply point out the only "proof" (no witness testimony only his own) of Paul being chosen by God came from himself in his own epistles written by himself.
I am begining to see why this Paul is all about faith, because his whole ministry depends on our faith that he was chosen in the first place....Or does scripture say different? I need more assurances, for my future eternity depends on it.

Do you have faith in Peter's apostleship? Peter calls Paul's writings, scripture.

2 Peter 3: 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We must repent in order to receive this grace/power. If it was unmerited, then we wouldn't have to repent, the whole world would be saved, called Universalism - a false doctrine.
This is I fear one of the reasons many come away from the "bricks and mortar" churches because it leaves more questions unanswered and I can see it in my friends and family that hold to this "Everyone" is saved mentality, which takes away the insentive and almost a mans will to avoid sin. I have been verbally smacked down by some staunch adherants to this area of thought and to debate them is to literally attack them or so you would think.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this power is simply love. If it can be received it crosses all barriers

Yes, it is love, but agape love. It is love even for our enemies. Here are the fruit of the Spirit - the first being love.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is I fear one of the reasons many come away from the "bricks and mortar" churches because it leaves more questions unanswered and I can see it in my friends and family that hold to this "Everyone" is saved mentality, which takes away the insentive and almost a mans will to avoid sin. I have been verbally smacked down by some staunch adherants to this area of thought and to debate them is to literally attack them or so you would think.

What denomination are they? Do they believe in Universalism?

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
CofE and Methodist.
Yes!

I also got invited to a Christening at a Church that was Methodist.
Tried attending a few when I was in my 20s and found it counter productive in my learning. I don't show any negatives to anyone these days but I was shocked by what I saw. Then one day I spoke to a stranger at a bus stop and he advised me to keep reading my bible and pray often, seemed to work almost over night, but I miss the gathering of people part and making new friends etc but having to come away seemed to undo all my hard work.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CofE and Methodist.
Yes!

I also got invited to a Christening at a Church that was Methodist.
Tried attending a few when I was in my 20s and found it counter productive in my learning. I don't show any negatives to anyone these days but I was shocked by what I saw. Then one day I spoke to a stranger at a bus stop and he advised me to keep reading my bible and pray often, seemed to work almost over night, but I miss the gathering of people part and making new friends etc but having to come away seemed to undo all my hard work.

Hmmmm. Neither of them are Universalists.