Can Jesus and Paul be reconciled on the LAW?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm. Neither of them are Universalists.
I think if you visited them you would understand perfectly but CofE is ...anything goes (always was when you consider it was a schism from Henry Viii to change Gods laws on marriage). Also the constitutional Monarchy in the UK has been the figurehead of this church (defender of the faith and supreme governor) and she gives royal assent to man made laws that oppose Gods Law (ie gay marriage and other disgusting things..)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 22:5 KJV
[5] As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: from whom also I received letters unto the brethren, and went to Damascus, to bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem, for to be punished.

Tecarta Bible PremiumThis is why he was headed to Damascus
What do you see your office in the body of Christ as being?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if you visited them you would understand perfectly but CofE is ...anything goes (always was when you consider it was a schism from Henry Viii to change Gods laws on marriage). Also the constitutional Monarchy in the UK has been the figurehead of this church (defender of the faith and supreme governor) and she gives royal assent to man made laws that oppose Gods Law (ie gay marriage and other disgusting things..)

Isaiah 5:20-21

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!

Reactions: Danube

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Grace is "getting that which you don't deserve".
Mercy is "not getting that which you do deserve".

That is a good one..I have never heard it said as simply as that. :)
I am tucking that one away.

( If you like Strongs..and I know some don't)
I do find that *Grace is much more than "unmerited favour"...
When we look a bit deeper , it is * "God ability in us, to do what we can't do."
...that would apply to all the old line up of saints found in Heb 11.,

Saved by grace through faith...

( I'm glad to see that you aren't just stuck in two threads at the moment! :D )

.......H

Reactions: Dave L

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isaiah 5:20-21

20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!

Indeed.
It must be nice to know you cannot be tried in your "own" courts too. That is something that flies high over most peoples heads, the implications of which are being seen in the once pleasant green fields of Albion.
I have a question:
Who is the highest authority of Law in the universe? Not a trick question either.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You missed my point. By asking what Paul brought to the table which you said the word of God is complete, it leaves the question of what did Paul actually achieve for salvation that Jesus' had not already during his ministry and after he was risen? Paul does not say " no one comes to the father but through me" so 3/4 of the NT written by him seems alot just to say " yup I agree with Jesus....follow him for he went that way...."

I admit that I am late coming to this discussion, and I am not yet passed page three!! So, maybe someone else has picked up on this post already.

I may be wrong, but you seem to be saying that what Jesus did not say, is not worth saying?
Yet John says- " And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. "

The Lord is not limited.
After all, it was Jesus Himself who met Paul. on the road and knocked him off his donkey...and told him what He had called Paul for!! So Paul was being obedient to his calling!!

Jesus taught Paul the next step for the Church.
He called Paul to build on the foundation that He Himself had laid.
It was a 'moving on' from basic salvation..a maturing of the Church, no longer babes...but growing into mature sons. ( Rev 3)

Isa 28 9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little...."

And Paul preach what Jesus told him to preach...in His name!!

The church would have been stunted without Paul.
We had a dear sweet old pastor when we were first saved.
Sadly the church was dying. Dying through lack of food. Every service was a salvation service , the gospel of salvation at every service.
Repetitious preaching which did not mature the church...preaching to the already saved.

"Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ "

....H

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1 Peter 2:13
Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority,
Mark 8:33
But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."
Romans 13:1-5
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

John 21:16-18
Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I admit that I am late coming to this discussion, and I am not yet passed page three!! So, maybe someone else has picked up on this post already.

I may be wrong, but you seem to be saying that what Jesus did not say, is not worth saying?
Yet John says- " And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. "

The Lord is not limited.
After all, it was Jesus Himself who met Paul. on the road and knocked him off his donkey...and told him what He had called Paul for!! So Paul was being obedient to his calling!!

Jesus taught Paul the next step for the Church.
He called Paul to build on the foundation that He Himself had laid.
It was a 'moving on' from basic salvation..a maturing of the Church, no longer babes...but growing into mature sons. ( Rev 3)

Isa 28 9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little...."

And Paul preach what Jesus told him to preach...in His name!!

The church would have been stunted without Paul.
We had a dear sweet old pastor when we were first saved.
Sadly the church was dying. Dying through lack of food. Every service was a salvation service , the gospel of salvation at every service.
Repetitious preaching which did not mature the church...preaching to the already saved.

"Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ "

....H
I love it. Paul is a father.
1 Corinthians 4:15 KJV
[15] For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Tecarta Bible Premium

Reactions: Helen

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So ....who wrote Corinthians?

If I write a book and make myself the main charachter then I have license to write myself a saint. No?

Last edited:

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question:
Who is the highest authority of Law in the universe? Not a trick question either.

1 Peter 2:13
Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority,
(?)..
Mark 8:33
But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."
Romans 13:1-5
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

(?)

John 21:16-18

When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Hmmmm

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So weird you sent that. I was contemplating, if Jesus is the seed then is Paul the mother in this scenario
So weird you sent that. I was contemplating, if Jesus is the seed then is Paul the mother in this scenario
John always refers to his little children
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.

Hmmmm
the supreme authority is God!

Reactions: Danube

Danube

Dec 26, 2018
uk
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So how can we serve both the world, which is governed by satan (see temptation of Christ in the wilderness) AND God?
Answer is you cannot serve two masters.
Paul clearly loyal to his "one world government/new world order" wants you to submit to satan while Jesus said his kingdom was not of this world and was his Fathers kingdom!

Worlds apart!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how can we serve both the world, which is governed by satan (see temptation of Christ in the wilderness) AND God?
Answer is you cannot serve two masters.
Paul clearly loyal to his "one world government/new world order" wants you to submit to satan while Jesus said his kingdom was not of this world and was his Fathers kingdom!

Worlds apart!
Cannot serve two masters means a man can only be married to one woman!

Reactions: justbyfaith