Can Only Mods Solve This Problem?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if rules were in place, members would know that it was permissible to report it without coming off like a crybaby or troublemaker.
I rarely report anyone, but recently I have reported posts for very similar reasons to your complaint here. I still would not support a change in the rules. To my knowledge my report did no good, but I believed it was appropriate to the situation.

I dunno. I think the moderation is very well done here. Not too much, and maybe just a hair too little. But without any rules change, it would likely stay exactly as is. The moderation is not a problem. I think the rules could be slightly augmented to make the moderation somewhat better, and I actually don't think it would make that much of an increased demand on the staff we currently have now (the primarily one-man staff, LoL).
I have no serious complaints about moderation as it is, except that there are too many personal attacks that should not be allowed. Still I must assume that when they are seen, appropriate action is taken. I won't usually report such attacks on a person able to fend for himself. When I see it done to someone who is apparently young in the Lord and trying their best I might try to intervene myself and if it continued unabated I would report it.

Again I have seen too many forums with really poor moderation to complain about this one. This one is good but perhaps at times they may be overworked.

Here we disagree. For one, good people make a good forum, first and foremost. Secondly, good rules maintain a good forum filled with good people from becoming one overrun by bad people. That is my primary concern with this thread, not that HR in particular is "bad," but more that the lack of a policy in place to deal with what I see as a problem could open the door increasingly in the future for the wrong kind of crowd and the wrong kind of behavior. We are already fighting the good fight of faith on a daily basis as it is here.
I won't argue this point. I agree that the owners via the moderators must do what they can and I appreciate that. I do not agree with changing any rules. Presently I would not suggest one. Whether I would or would not support someone else's suggestion would be a very definite maybe. I won't vote on a hypothetical.
Yeah, we're seeing it different here. I'm really only suggesting such measures be taken in more extreme cases, such as the one I was mentioning. Boasting and gloating about how no one can refute your doctrinal stance and then turning around and refusing to even reply to those who raise strong arguments against it is, IMO, akin to trolling, so I would ask you if trolling were likewise something you think should be allowed to go on without correction or forum discipline.
In extreme cases I might recommend something be done, but we apparently differ in what is extreme enough to change the rules.
I believe a moderator here has the authority to warn a person already and eventually ban the person if they persist after being warned. I suspended or banned very few when I was a moderator. I haven't changed my views much in that respect. I am strongly against banning anyone unless the conditions are extreme to use your word. As I have said we apparently have different definitions of that word.

Certainly, and I'm very grateful for the response. I want dialogue on it from all sides because I think it concerns everyone here, and I certainly wouldn't advise that any decisions be made (if any decisions even do get made) without our most prominent members having a say in it.
Well as I at least implied at the first, I would really be surprised to see any real changes made because of this discussion. I certainly could be wrong as I have been before.

Give God the glory!

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am against compelled speech, people may choose to respond to whoever they want or ignore what they choose. So long as they respond to some people and are not just dumping on the forums its within the rules. Some extra grace is necessary when dealing with people in unknown situations, there are many members up in years and have other problems. I don't expect people to share their impairments.

Alrighty, that may settle it then. The only answer I can see other than intervention is ignoring people, though I still think it leaves the door open for people to frequently post falsehoods that will more than likely go unchallenged, aside from the workaholics like Enoch who have the patience for responding to every single thread, LoL.

Not for me, but to each his own. Thanks for responding to the thread. On to more productive matters.
Blessings in Christ and thanks again.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rarely report anyone, but recently I have reported posts for very similar reasons to your complaint here. I still would not support a change in the rules. To my knowledge my report did no good, but I believed it was appropriate to the situation.

Yes, I only report things I know are gross violations. Anything in the grey area I will not bother reporting, as it is just meddling more than anything.
I have no serious complaints about moderation as it is, except that there are too many personal attacks that should not be allowed. Still I must assume that when they are seen, appropriate action is taken. I won't usually report such attacks on a person able to fend for himself. When I see it done to someone who is apparently young in the Lord and trying their best I might try to intervene myself and if it continued unabated I would report it.

A very good way to deal with things, IMO. Unfortunately much of it comes down to survival of the fittest, but I do try to support newer members from being completely railroaded whenever possible.
I believe a moderator here has the authority to warn a person already and eventually ban the person if they persist after being warned.

A warning would I think have been the perfect response, i.e. that certain forum behaviors are akin to trolling. But then you get into the issue of needing more moderation.
Well as I at least implied at the first, I would really be surprised to see any real changes made because of this discussion. I certainly could be wrong as I have been before.

Nope. You were correct, LoL. I entered it having no expectations either way, but still considered it worth being addressed, if only for the sake of opening discussion on it.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have just found this thread!! And am very tired, so I will just say this one thing. In the OT God gives us a understanding about this very thing, and I believe it is similar to what you are expressing. If there is among you, a brother who tries to lead you into worshiping other deity's,
In other words lead you into false doctrine's, do not listen to them!! And if by all means Ignore them, for they shall reap their own Reward!
There is an old saying, Kill them All, and let God sort them out. Refuse to respond, and they will find another source to spew their stuff!
God has Your Back, The Spirit has Your Heart, and Our Savior has Your Soul, and the Truth will Expose Itself!!

Oh! Ok, my bad. I just found your quote imbedded within mine.

Yes, "Kill them all" was actually a motto of mine when I used to play Metallica as a kid. Not the nicest of mottos mind you, but the part about letting God sort it all out is still certainly a keeper, LoL.

Blessings in Christ, and thanks for the post.
I appreciate it :)
Hidden

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I only report things I know are gross violations. Anything in the grey area I will not bother reporting, as it is just meddling more than anything.

A very good way to deal with things, IMO. Unfortunately much of it comes down to survival of the fittest, but I do try to support newer members from being completely railroaded whenever possible.

A warning would I think have been the perfect response, i.e. that certain forum behaviors are akin to trolling. But then you get into the issue of needing more moderation.

Nope. You were correct, LoL. I entered it having no expectations either way, but still considered it worth being addressed, if only for the sake of opening discussion on it.
Your effort was not wasted, for people need to know what is happening if it may affect them. At least one here admitted to being naïve and I know that I am also still quite naïve about a great many things... especially in the secular domain. Trusting in the Lord, I believe, takes that also into account. I'd be a hermit in this great big world of men if not for my beloved wife. I go into my study and spend hours reading, on forums, working on my stamps and playing my music... while she deals more closely with the world of planet Earth in our vicinity.

I do sincerely wish it were possible to connect more closely with some of those here who will not, but you already understand about that. We must take things as they come.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will pray and let the mods do their jobs as they see the Lord fits them to do. As the Lord is always right no matter what. Will leave it at that. God bless and keep up the good work.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. And I am slowly having greater success with it myself by His grace and mercy. But the question is how well is the membership as a whole doing at it, and some are doing better than others. Some are truly admirable, and I look up to them for it. But we are also all built differently, and being in Christ does not change that. So each man has his own burden to bare. That's why it's best not to condemn, but rather just to try and circumvent.

A like, but for one word . . . but rather just to try and edify.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's interesting hearing you explain the word ' Heretic ' - I have come to realise that it is a word that seems to hit a much deeper level with me, but I think it's cultural - I have only ever heard it spoken to people with very extreme views- within the context of people who are really enermies of God ( maybe it's a remnant of my childhood and the films my parents use to watch, it certainly isn't a word I have heard much in my own circle of Christian brothers and sisters over the years )
That's been quite interesting to think about X
Rita
In the end at a personal level one's conscience goes back to 'Thy word is truth' in John 17.17, and its sanctifying influence, as the Lord Jesus says.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What Jesus taught was condemned by the entire "official" church of that day as, HERETICAL HERESY.
We'd best just heed the words of Gamaliel when he told the Sanhedrin they needed to back down. We are not God.

This reminds me of the early church referring to itself as "the way". Most Christians today would probably frown on anyone claiming that they were "the way" wouldn't they? Jesus said to his disciples, "you are the light of the world". What would an online group have to say to someone who accepted that title as well? Wouldn't most people view that as blasphemy? And yet, the early church didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Reactions: Nancy