Can Priests Forgive Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, no.

It really isn't.

At all, actually.
WRONG.
Jesus told His inner circle - the leaders of His Church- to teach the nations, Baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19-20).

Jesus gave His inner circle - the leaders of His Church - the power to forgive or retain sins in His name (John 20:21-23).

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus gave His inner circle - the leaders of His Church - the power to forgive or retain sins in His name (John 20:21-23).

OK, so how do we get in touch with His inner circle?

By email, text? Western Union? Fax?

Sounds pretty important that we get in touch with these folks so we can get our sins forgiven, right?

Is there like a Rolodex that let's us know whos who in the inner circle zoo? clueless-scratching.gif

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
Jesus told His inner circle - the leaders of His Church- to teach the nations, Baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19-20).

Retread of an ongoing dispute. The world is not likely to take your word for it, BOL, however much I might value your input. :)

Jesus didn't argue with the Pharisees when they charged Him with blasphemy for forgiving sins as a man—He proved Himself to be God.

The scholarly definition of blasphemy is assuming the prerogative of God. I realize this is not generally so in Catholic scholarship, but nevertheless...

On this issue, there is, alas, a great gulf fixed between us. :(

But don't forget: I pride myself in being possibly the only avowed Protestant on CyB upon whose post a -like- was ever bestowed by the illustrious BreadOfLife.

And in the words of the great Fred Astaire, as he serenaded the lovely Ginger Rogers:
'

:musicn2: They can't take that away from me, :musicn2:
:musicn2: No-o-o, They can't take that awa-a-ay fro-o-om me-e-e. :musicn2:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, so how do we get in touch with His inner circle?

By email, text? Western Union? Fax?

Sounds pretty important that we get in touch with these folks so we can get our sins forgiven, right?

Is there like a Rolodex that let's us know whos who in the inner circle zoo? View attachment 39459

You're so charming.

Do you know how Catholicism works?

Never mind.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can Priests Forgive Sin?

Since there are no passages in the New Testament authorizing the Catholic confessional, it is a sinful practice. We emphasize again that we cannot go beyond the things that are written and be pleasing to God (1 Cor. 4:6; 2 John 9). When we add the traditions and doctrines of men, our worship becomes vain (Matt. 15:9; Col. 2:8). If we change, add to, delete from, or pervert the gospel of Christ, the curse of God rests upon us (Gal. 1:6-9; Rev. 22:18-19).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Matt. 16:19; 18:18
AMP
I will give you the keys (authority) of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth will have [already] been loosed in heaven.”
AMPC
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven.
HCSB
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven.”

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt. 16:19; 18:18
AMP
I will give you the keys (authority) of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth will have [already] been loosed in heaven.”
AMPC
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven.
HCSB
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth is already bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven.”

Would you consider that an authoritative commission of the Catholic "Ministry Of Reconciliation" doctrine or, at least, part of one? Just curious.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know right?

How dare anybody have the audacity to study God's Word and get
instructions from what God says instead of from religious organizations

I mean, who does that? View attachment 39464
So, what you're saying is that God is incapable of founding a Church, giving it His authority to teach, preach, and sanctify, right? He can only work through individuals trying to reinvent the theological wheel themselves. Do I understand your viewpoint properly?

Reactions: The Learner

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what you're saying is that God is incapable of founding a Church, giving it His authority to teach, preach, and sanctify, right? He can only work through individuals trying to reinvent the theological wheel themselves. Do I understand your viewpoint properly?

Nope, you are way out in left field with Barney, Opie, and Ain't Bee!

Pic1__GIF.gif

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Maybe you are unaware of God's warnings that there will be many false teachers come from among those claiming to be Christians???
Ignore God's warnings at your own peril . . .

Matthew 24:4,5
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in My Name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

*Many includes those claiming "I am anointed" that are deceiving many (false teachers)

1 Timothy 4:1,2
Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron

("depart from the faith" is not referring to sinners in the world who never came to faith in the first place)

2 Timothy 4:3,4
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine (teaching); but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Peter 2:1-3
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying (contradicting, Not agreeing with) the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
And through covetousness (idolatry) shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingers not, and their damnation slumbers not.

Jude 1:17-21
Remember the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
These are those who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
But you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

("those who separate themselves" is not referring to sinners in the world who were never joined unto the Lord in the first place)

Acts 20:27-30
For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's quite a straw man you've erected there. People generally don't bother knocking them down, I've found.

:My2c:

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What many evangelicals don't get is the close link between confession to other believers and spiritual healing (James 5:16).
Jesus gives "the keys of the kingdom of heaven" to Peter and no one else. Jesus gives the authority to bind and loose and to grant and deny forgiveness to the church. But confession of sin must be real and confession to church leaders (e. g. priests) helps ensure that with the needed confidentiality that the evangelical approach lacks. As a lifelong evangelical, I can attest that, for many evangelicals, confession is a hasty, vague, and generalized act with, crucially, little requisite soul searching, which the Catholic approach facilitates in a far superior manner.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus gives "the keys of the kingdom of heaven" to Peter and no one else
laughing2.gif

You're not serious are you?

As a lifelong evangelical, I can attest that, for many evangelicals, confession is a hasty, vague, and generalized act with, crucially, little requisite soul searching, which the Catholic approach facilitates in a far superior manner.

Now that's a fresh hot steaming load of horse hockey if there ever was!

We confess our sins to the Lord because He is the only One who can cleanse us from ALL un-righteousness

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 16:23
And in that day ye shall ask Me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in My name, He will give it you.

John 16:26,27

At that day ye shall ask in My Name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

Obviously, the instructions Jesus is giving us is to pray directly to the Father.

Any and all other instructions that disagree with what Jesus is saying is bogus man. Totally bogus dude!

Last edited:

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you are unaware of God's warnings that there will be many false teachers come from among those claiming to be Christians???
Ignore God's warnings at your own peril . . .

Matthew 24:4,5
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in My Name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

*Many includes those claiming "I am anointed" that are deceiving many (false teachers)

1 Timothy 4:1,2
Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron

("depart from the faith" is not referring to sinners in the world who never came to faith in the first place)

2 Timothy 4:3,4
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine (teaching); but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Peter 2:1-3
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying (contradicting, Not agreeing with) the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
And through covetousness (idolatry) shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingers not, and their damnation slumbers not.

Jude 1:17-21
Remember the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
These are those who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
But you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

("those who separate themselves" is not referring to sinners in the world who were never joined unto the Lord in the first place)

Acts 20:27-30
For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Good quotes from Scripture!

So, let's see. What would be a false teacher? Would it be someone teaching something different than was always taught from the beginning? Would that qualify? Would someone coming along 16 centuries later, using their own personal interpretation to mis-interpret what was always taught because they thought they knew better, qualify as a false teacher? I would certainly think so.

Christ established a (one) Church. Historically, this was the ONLY Church until 1054 A.D., when the Orthodox splintered off. Protestantism didn't begin until the 16th century, and began introducing man-made doctrines like Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, neither of which had ever been taught for the first 16 centuries by Christ or His Church (or even the Orthodox). In fact, they continually disagreed with one another to the point that Protestantism has continually splintered (and is splintering) into thousands of man-made, disagreeing, contradicting denominations, all based on someone's personal interpretation of Scripture. See 2 Peter 1:20-21, where St. Peter warns against personal interpretation of Scripture with regard to creating doctrine. See 1 Tim 3:15, where St. Paul refers to the Church as the "pillar and foundation of truth." Not the individual personally iterpreting his/her own translation of the Bible, but the Church!

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, you are way out in left field with Barney, Opie, and Ain't Bee!

View attachment 39476
Hey, BBJ! John 20:19-23 shows Jesus giving His Godly authority to the Apostles to forgive sins. Clear as day. In fact, it was such an important issue that Jesus (God) "breathed" on them and told them they were receiving the Holy Spirit. Only twice in all Scripture does God breathe on man. Once in Genesis when He created Adam, and once in John, when He gave the Apostles His authority to forgive sins.

The Apostles gave their authority to their successors, the bishops and priests, who have done likewise for 2000 years now. Authority is given not taken.