Can Priests Forgive Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You lost me.

Jesus told His disciples that the would have authority to either remit (forgive) or retain sins concerning others.

There is no mention that this is symbolic, or that they are giving a declaration of forgiveness given by God. No, just like Jesus forgave sins, they would be able to also. But neither is there any mention that anyone else would have that same authority.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told His disciples that the would have authority to either remit (forgive) or retain sins concerning others.

There is no mention that this is symbolic, or that they are giving a declaration of forgiveness given by God. No, just like Jesus forgave sins, they would be able to also. But neither is there any mention that anyone else would have that same authority.

Much love!

Unless it is neither symbolic nor a general transfer of divine prerogative but, instead, merely hard to understand.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't think Paul > Titus > presbyters of Crete demonstrates succession of authority?
It may demonstrate someone's idea that there is succession of authority, however, this doesn't insert that into Scripture, and no, I'm not seeing succession of authority in the letter to Titus either.

Much love!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When exactly does this forgiveness of future sins take place?
When you are born again. You are "in Christ", there is no sin in Christ. However, you still possess the flesh until you die and sin dwells on its members.
And what are the implications of a once-and-done expiation on the growth and psyche of a believer that emphasizes such a thing?
Growth is in the knowledge of Christ and His word, the fruit of the Spirit, our character, behavior, etc. A born again person does not mean you are spiritually mature, you are an infant. You can be 10 years old and die the next day. You'll be a purified spirit with the Lord and continue growth up there.
While remaining down here, we sin, but it is not sin unto death. We confess our sins and stay humble, not indulging as to take advantage of our status. I think sanctification is both instant and a process. How is this possible? God functions outside our time domain. So we were transported spiritually back with Christ, died with Him and then transported to the heavenlies, saved in Christ. But now this purified spirit must cooperate to grow in the knowledge of Christ as He transforms our minds and behavior while still in our flesh. It is confusing. But Christ died once for all the sins of those written in the Book of Life in the past , present and future. So the action transcended time and into the spiritual realm.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you are born again. You are "in Christ", there is no sin on Christ. However, you still possess the flesh until you die and sin dwells on its members.

If all future sins are automatically forgiven this would explain why so many "christians" are living in sin these days.

What Jesus did at the Cross is not applicable to us until we confess and forsake out sin both initially and after we get born again IF we were to sin.

If all future sins are automatically forgiven then 1 John 1:9 would absolutely not be in the bible as it contradicts the fake message that all future sins are already forgiven and there is never ever any need to confess our sins and repent from continuing in sin.

1 John 1:9
IF we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

IF we don't, He won't.

Proverbs 28:13
He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

There is no mercy until we confess and forsake out sin.

WHY???

Because Galatians 6:7,8 tells us God is not mocked, what we show is what we reap... if we sow to the flesh (sin) we shall of the flesh reap corruption

Those that say otherwise are mocking God according to Galatians 6:7,8

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When you are born again. You are "in Christ", there is no sin on Christ. However, you still possess the flesh until you die and sin dwells on its members.

Growth is in the knowledge of Christ and His word, the fruit of the Spirit, our character, behavior, etc. A born again person does not mean you are spiritually mature, you are an infant. You can be 10 years old and die the next day. You'll be a purified spirit with the Lord and continue growth up there.
While remaining down here, we sin, but it is not sin unto death. We confess our sins and stay humble, not indulging as to take advantage of our status. I think sanctification is both instant and a process. How is this possible? God functions outside our time domain. So we were transported spiritually back with Christ, died with Him and then transported to the heavenlies, saved in Christ. But now this purified spirit must cooperate to grow in the knowledge of Christ as He transforms our minds and behavior while still in our flesh. It is confusing. But Christ died once for all the sins of those written in the Book of Life in the past , present and future. So the action transcended time and into the spiritual realm.
Amen!!!..Praise God that we have been Born Again of imperishable seed!!.....wahoo!!!

We are in the Spirit and NOT the flesh!!.......only the Spirit of God can forgive our sins....then and only then can we be set free from them.

Romans 6:18
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

New Living Translation
Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.

English Standard Version
and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Berean Standard Bible
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Berean Literal Bible
And having been set free from sin, you have become slaves to righteousness.

1704263052580.gif1704263052580.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we have been Born Again of imperishable seed!!

The Word of God is the seed... we are the soil and according to what Jesus reaches in Mark 4:13-20 it's entirely possible that other things entering in to us (IF we let them) can choke God's Word and we become unfruitful.

This is why Jesus said: If a man loves me, he will keep my words (John 14:23) as in don't allow things to enter in to your life to cause you to quit obeying His Word and end up becoming UN fruitful.

Jesus taught in John 15 that those that do not abide in Him and bear fruit, are cut off the branch.

In John 15, Jesus tells us that He is the vine, we are the branches, and the Father is the husbandman (the One Who owns and manages the vine). Jesus says those that don't bare fruit, the Father removes.

So the thing to do is DON'T turn away from the Lord and remain on the vine. You might want to read all of John 15 and Mark 4:13-20 while your at it as this is Jesus' classic teaching on seed time and harvest.

It's where He tells us what 5 things the devil uses to choke the Word of God out of our lives to cause us to become UN fruitful... IF we allow these things to enter in and choke God's Word in our lives

These 5 things are... persecution, affliction, cares of this world, lusts of other things, and deceitfulness of riches.

Based on numerous warnings and proof texts in God's Word.... there is no such thing as eternal security simply because man has free will and can turn away from the Lord..

John 12:48
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

One must endure until the end to be saved according to Jesus (see Matthew 10:22) because we must abide IN Christ (see John 15)

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Word of God is the seed... we are the soil and according to what Jesus reaches in Mark 4:13-20 it's entirely possible that other things entering in to us (IF we let them) can choke God's Word and we become unfruitful.
Listen.the seed of God which is a “ Living “ seed?

Can NEVER get choked, because we have been Born Again of “ incorruptible seed”...that liveth and abideth forever..now tell me...what aren’t you understanding?

Our hearts represent the soil.....did God sow his seed in your soil in the garden?

Or did he plant his seed in your heart?...the Living seed of God, the Holy Spirit?

Now, because you aren’t understanding the Living Spiritual Birth....I take it that “ you” are leading yourself through scripture

You cannot lead yourself through scripture without the Spirit?

Therefore the scripture you post to a Born Again is irrelevant, it’s not speaking to us...and because you aren’t understanding Born Again of imperishable seed....your posts are meaningless to a Born Again...who has been Born Again of imperishable seed...

In other words you are telling God he is a LIAR....when he tells us we are Born Again of imperishable seed...which is his Living seed!....comprehendo?
Jesus taught in John 15 that those that do not abide in Him and bear fruit, are cut off the branch.

In John 15, Jesus tells us that He is the vine, we are the branches, and the Father is the husbandman (the One Who owns and manages the vine). Jesus says those that don't bare fruit, the Father removes.

So the thing to do is DON'T turn away from the Lord and remain on the vine. You might want to read all of John 15 and Mark 4:13-20 while your at it as this is Jesus' classic teaching on seed time and harvest.

It's where He tells us what 5 things the devil uses to choke the Word of God out of our lives to cause us to become UN fruitful... IF we allow these things to enter in and choke God's Word in our lives

These 5 things are... persecution, affliction, cares of this world, lusts of other things, and deceitfulness of riches.

Based on numerous warnings and proof texts in God's Word.... there is no such thing as eternal security simply because man has free will and can turn away from the Lord..

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

One must endure until the end to be saved according to Jesus (see Matthew 10:22) because we must abide IN Christ (see John 15)
The word of God is his seed the Holy Spirit

Posted much scripture on it.

That is why I don’t discuss with you anymore..as you have yet to explain what it means to be Born Again of incorruptible seed.

1 Peter 1:23​

King James Version​

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

So I ask you again..if we are Born Again of incorruptible seed.....if it’s not the seed of the Holy Spirit, what seed is it?

When you understand what being Born of the Spirit means...instead of ,your words ,” when we get born again “ which is not biblical, we may well have a discussion in the Spirit.

A Born Again has had all sins forgiven ,via his Holy Spirit.

Your scripture that you post is NOT applicable to a Born Again..as explained above..

Romans 5:5​

5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

1 Corinthians 2:14
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

New Living Translation
But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

English Standard Version
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Berean Standard Bible
The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned

This topic is also about, can a priest forgive sin....so let’s stick with the topic in hand shall we?.. @Big Boy Johnson .

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:5-8
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can we please stay on topic...and please don’t keep quoting me @Big Boy Johnson ....as what you quoted had nothing to do with the topic in hand.

Can a Priest forgive sin...

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no mercy until we confess and forsake out sin.

This is where a primer on common grace could help a lot. Mercy is also what keeps us alive while we are backslidden, even to the smallest degree. I don't believe in slipping in and out of a "saved" condition, but I don't believe in irrevocable security, either. Most people's god is far too small.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Absolutely. This keeps us obedient, humble and practicing Christians. We cooperate with his graceful act of forgiveness. This is what I was saying, we are moving through time, moving through His forgiveness. He had to put it in terms of our physical dimension. But He operates outside of time, it's a done deal in His mind, but a process, a movement, a daily mission to overcome and mortifying sins - for us.
Because Galatians 6:7,8 tells us God is not mocked, what we show is what we reap... if we sow to the flesh (sin) we shall of the flesh reap corruption
We definitely reap what we sow in life. This is applicable to believers and non-believers. But believers are pardoned, spiritually "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ" - not ever.
So then what does the Christian reap when he sows badly? We get chastised/ punished! We might suffer physically, emotionally, financially, relationally with others - but that is temporal, not spiritual - we are saved.
Jesus confirmed that many times, if we believe in Him, we will be saved, we pass from death to life, born again, a new creature.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is why Jesus said: If a man loves me, he will keep my words (John 14:23) as in don't allow things to enter in to your life to cause you to quit obeying His Word and end up becoming UN fruitful.

In John 15, Jesus is addressing the world, they were not true believers yet. They might have believed his teachings but were not born again. The message, "I am the Vine ...", means He is the source of life for everyone on the planet, physically and spiritually. He created us and keeps our hearts beating. If He cuts you off, your dead. Those branches are thrown into the fire and destroyed (an event that will happen on Judgment Day.) But also cutting off refers to your physical life. Both body and soul suffer death, but physical death comes first. The unbelieving soul goes to Hades, then at the GWT Judgment, the second, both body and soul are cast into the Lake of Fire.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where a primer on common grace could help a lot.

Denying what God says in His Word ends badly!

Mercy is also what keeps us alive while we are backslidden

The thing to learn is don't backslide!

When Jesus told us about the prodigal son, the Father considered the son to be dead while he had turned his back on the Father and once the son returned only then did the Father consider the son to be alive again.

This is because the son is the one that used his God given free will to turn and walk away from the Father. Nobody took him away, the devil did not deceive him in to turning his back on the Father.

Had the boy died while having turned away from the Father, he would not have spent eternity with the Father.

I don't believe in slipping in and out of a "saved" condition, but I don't believe in irrevocable security, either. Most people's god is far too small.

Yep, lots of people are confused like this because they just cannot accept all that the Lord has to say in His Word.

it's a done deal in His mind

That does not mean we are saved regardless of how we live as many suppose.

Nobody is actually saved until the get to the end of their lives and they go in to the presence of the Lord.

Those that get there are actually saved.

But believers are pardoned, spiritually "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ" - not ever.

You are only quoting part of what the Lord said in Romans 8:1... so let''s accept ALL that He said in this passage.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

As we see, no condemnation is only applicable to those that walk after the Spirit, not after the flesh.

Many do error by claiming only the first part of Romans 8:1 so they can walk after the flesh and still think they are saved.

This is mocking God according to Galatians 6:7,8 which clearly tells us if we sow to the flesh (sin) we shall of the flesh reap corruption. Corruption is the opposite of being in right standing with God.

Some who want to keep the door open to do a little walking after the flesh falsely claim the second part of Romans 8:1 is not in the original text. This is not true and came from the devil.

All we have to do is continue reading and God's Word continues to say those walking after the flesh are not in right standing with the Lord.

Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

(referring to the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus, not the law of Moses as that has been taken away)

Romans 8:6
to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Romans 8:8
they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:9
ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, IF so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Man has free will and if man turns away from the Lord, the Holy Spirit is not being allowed to live in us since we are not allowing Him to lead us (see Romans 8:14)

Romans 8:12,13
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Jesus confirmed that many times, if we believe in Him, we will be saved, we pass from death to life, born again, a new creature.

And if one accepts the whole counsel of God... they will learn that if one turns away from God that are no longer in right standing with God.

Which is WHY

Notice it said "cleansed of all unrighteousness"???

While one is unrighteous, they are not saved and if they die in that condition it's eternal separation from the Lord!

In John 15, Jesus is addressing the world, they were not true believers yet.

Actually He's speaking to God's people as we see in verse 3 He says "Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you"

This does not apply to the world since they have not been saved yet.

If He cuts you off, your dead.

That's the lesson to learn... turning away from the Lord results in us being separated from the Lord so don't do it!

Abide IN Christ instead. Very simple and easy to understand message here.