Can the Soul Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're a blasphemous heretic for saying Jesus is not God. Jesus is God. You're back on ignore.

You're a Christ denier.... who would deny the death of Christ?? (1 Corinthians 15:3) Stop following the Antichrist, come out of that cult.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the inerrant word of God. Not a man made religious system.
But you do believe that we have an eternal living soul. That right there is the thinking of a man made religious system, and not the inerrant word of God.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you! I believe you are correct! I side stepped in the process of my words of what Photosynthesis is defined as.
Sorry about that.

Oxygen is a by product of that process.
Photosynthesis:
the process by which green plants and some other organisms use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. Photosynthesis in plants generally involves the green pigment chlorophyll and generates oxygen as a byproduct.
No problemo, my friend! :)

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Did a little research —

The word translated "breathed" is naphach, which means to "inflate," as in God inflated Adam's lungs. But the word translated "breath" is neshamah, which means "divine inspiration," "intellect," "soul" or "spirit."

So could it be that God not only inflated Adam's lungs with "air" but also placed in him his spiritual body?

The apostle Paul makes it very clear in 1 Cor. 15 that we have a flesh body now and as soon as we die, we will receive a spiritual body. (but I think Adam lost his spiritual body when he sinned.)

Just some thoughts, jb
I fully comprehend your thinking.
Since it is apparent that it was God who "inflated" Adam's lungs with oxygenated air, we must keep in mind that man, above all the animals who breathe air also, is leaps and bounds far above with intelligence.
It's not that Adam was given a spirit body, but rather the ability for inspiration and reasoning through his own will and decision making process. Animals, unless trained by habit, do not have that ability for conscious reasoning.

As for anything having to do with A&E and eternity or eternal life, they never lost what they never had in the first place. If anything, they lost the opportunity for eternal life.
Because of their willingness to choose to live life by their own reason and wits, knowing both good and evil, God had to remove them from the Garden, so that they could NOT HAVE eternal existence of any kind.
Gen. 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostle Paul makes it very clear in 1 Cor. 15 that we have a flesh body now and as soon as we die, we will receive a spiritual body. (but I think Adam lost his spiritual body when he sinned.)
In 1 Corinthians 15, we must remember that Paul was speaking to Christians who had recieved the Gift God's Holy Spirit. It is by His presence now within us, that is how we have "a spiritual body" waiting for us.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, Photosynthesis is the process of converting the atom of Carbon Dioxide back into the atom of Oxygen.
Actually there is no such thing as an atom of carbon dioxide! Carbon dioxide gas is made up of molecules consisting of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms (CO2). Also, oxygen gas is made up of molecules consisting of two oxygen atoms (O2 - more precisely it should be called dioxygen). And then there is ozone, which is three oxygen atoms (O3).

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're an unbiblical cult member. Anathems. Jesus rebukes you.
He quotes a verse from the Bible and you accuse him of being "an unbiblical cult member"! What kind of logic is that? :confused:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The apostle Paul makes it very clear in 1 Cor. 15 that we have a flesh body now and as soon as we die, we will receive a spiritual body.
Actually, Paul didn't say that we will receive a spiritual body as soon as we die. He said:

1 Corinthians 15:
23) But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then those who are Christ’s, at his coming.

51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4:
16) For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first,
17) then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.

So the dead in Christ will be resurrected when Jesus returns for for his bride. The resurrection of dead Christians occurs just moments before the rapture of those Christians that are still alive. This is why Jesus and the apostles refer to the dead as 'sleeping' - they are unconscious (dead!) until they are awakened in their resurrection. They are not resurrected as soon as they die.

jessiblue

Aug 21, 2021
a Heavenly place
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Paul didn't say that we will receive a spiritual body as soon as we die. He said:

1 Corinthians 15:
23) But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then those who are Christ’s, at his coming.

51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4:
16) For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first,
17) then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.

So the dead in Christ will be resurrected when Jesus returns for for his bride. The resurrection of dead Christians occurs just moments before the rapture of those Christians that are still alive. This is why Jesus and the apostles refer to the dead as 'sleeping' - they are unconscious (dead!) until they are awakened in their resurrection. They are not resurrected as soon as they die.

See verses in 1 Corinthians 50-52.
1 Corinthians 15:50-52

New King James Version

Our Final Victory
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

In Adam we all die in the flesh, but in Christ we are raised incorruptible.

I Corinthians 15:44 "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body".

jb

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
See verses in 1 Corinthians 50-52.
Err, I don't need to see those verses - I had already quoted them in my post (except for verse 50)!

In Adam we all die in the flesh, but in Christ we are raised incorruptible.

I Corinthians 15:44 "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body".
Yes, I agree with that (applying to Christians only). But my point was that resurrection, when God gives us a spiritual body, does not occur immediately when we die.

Remember verse 23 that I quoted:

1 Corinthians 15:23 (WEB): But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then those who are Christ’s, at his coming.

Jesus was the "first fruits" - the first to be resurrected. Those who are his, Christians, will be resurrected "at his coming". As Jesus said, John 14:3 (WEB):

If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will receive you to myself; that where I am, you may be there also.​

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
^correction:
I'm NOT telling you to leave your particular denomination,
Do you realise that you can edit a previous reply by clicking on "Edit" (bottom left corner of the reply)?

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually there is no such thing as an atom of carbon dioxide! Carbon dioxide gas is made up of molecules consisting of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms (CO2). Also, oxygen gas is made up of molecules consisting of two oxygen atoms (O2 - more precisely it should be called dioxygen). And then there is ozone, which is three oxygen atoms (O3).
You are correct!
As I had already confessed of my error in mispeaking to "barneyfife", I was more focussed on the issue of God breathing into Adam Oxygenated Air vs. that of A literal disembodied eternal soul.

As a person who studied and passed Chemistry 1, and was a Chemical Lab. Technician under a Polymer Chemist for BASF corp., I am ashamed of my gross negligence and oversight, due to just trying to make a point.
Thank you,
Earburner

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word “soul” in the Bible is a translation of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. The Hebrew word literally means “a creature that breathes,” and the Greek word means “a living being.” Many Bible translations render the words neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ differently according to the context, using words such as soul, life, person, creature, or body.

"And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)

Adam wasn't given a soul as many religions teach, but rather, Adam, Became a Living Soul. Notice how others translated this verse @ (Genesis 2:7) | New International Version Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

• Young's Literal Translation And Jehovah God formeth the man -- dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature.
  • American Standard Version And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • World English Bible Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • NWT And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.

The punishment for disobedience was Death, not an eternal life of punishment. "But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Genesis 2:17)

• "In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”(Genesis 3:19)
  • The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” —Ezekiel 18: 4, 20, King James Version.

“Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.” (Exodus 31:14 KJV)

Note:
Although many Bible translations use the terms “dead body” or “dead person” in some verses, the original Hebrew uses the word neʹphesh, or “soul.”

Many Religions teach that the soul never dies. It that was true, then the Resurrection would be an unnecessary act.
  • Jesus said to her: “Your brother will rise.” Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” (John 11:23-25)
  • The Apostles Paul also stated, "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a Resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15) Is There Hope for the Dead?

I agree. And the intrinsic definition of death is lack of being, i.e. includes no more consciousness. Only remains are left for a resurrection later. Eternal torment doctrines requires a conscious being and if so, that's not death, but eternal life in torment.

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. And the intrinsic definition of death is lack of being, i.e. includes no more consciousness. Only remains are left for a resurrection later. Eternal torment doctrines requires a conscious being and if so, that's not death, but eternal life in torment.

Thank you for your fine contribution. It brought my attention to the false notion of an eternal burning hell. So if the soul can die, can it be rescued? The answer is in the positive as You eluded to a resurrection. Notice this scripture that religion has been hiding.

“And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and Hell delivered up the Dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.” (Rev 20:13) Notice they were DEAD not Alive and Suffering... :)

What did Jesus perform when he was on earth?

Last edited:

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Spirit is willing but the body is weak.
Ok we would all agree with that I am sure.

Now as to the Spirit ? well one can look to the parable of the sower and the weeds in that when one receives the Holy Spirit it takes root but then comes the weeds and choke that faith that you received. so that means ones Soul has connected in a way to the truth and has faith in such and has been received.

Now all people have a Soul but it's not connected truly say, so they have some faith when they receive a message as true, but because of this world the weeds choke the light or that life blood say over time, due to the deceptions of this world and the delusions.

I do not believe that the Soul can die ever, the Spirit can fade away for sure as we have proof of that, but when one is truly born again then you are connected to Jesus Christ and such a one can not loose faith in Christ Jesus, as no one can snatch such a one out of Gods hand, because such a one is saved in Christ Jesus in fact, such a one can not give up Christ Jesus ! if one did give up such never was truly born again in fact.

Now the spirit is willing but the body is weak, but once Saved truly born again you have a power that can not be put out by anyone regardless.

You can not kill the Soul, such may never of been connected however to our Lord and Saviour of our Soul.

You can kill the Spirit however if you are not truly connected to Christ Jesus.

Now there are different Spirits as not all are of the Holy Spirit in fact. now our English Bible maybe relating to Soul when I could state Holy Spirit ? but that is because it's translated into English and English is a bastard language of sorts to try and translate some things solidly.
But I am sure no one can kill the Soul but in saying that coming from another angle we can see a point in such in regards to the Soul that is connected as appose to the one that is not and also the relationship within such a thing, speaking of such a topic, that there is more angles one can ascertain to that the carnal only can see from one angle. as such a one may only claim the Soul is a person and yes it is but it's much more complex than just that. but the Sole does not reside in a corps. so we have both the Soul and the Holy Spirit that are as one functioning unit, so in a corps non such reside in such.

So from one angle one could see that the Soul can be killed, because it never was connected, in the sense of that it never lived or grew to it's purpose.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, eternal punishment is just that: eternal punishment. The physical body dies, and the spiritual soul lives on and on for eternity, either with God or separated from God.
"Eternal punishment" doesn't refer to constant punishment that never ends. It refers to a punishment that can never be undone.

Reactions: Earburner

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word “soul” in the Bible is a translation of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. The Hebrew word literally means “a creature that breathes,” and the Greek word means “a living being.” Many Bible translations render the words neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ differently according to the context, using words such as soul, life, person, creature, or body.

"And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)

Adam wasn't given a soul as many religions teach, but rather, Adam, Became a Living Soul. Notice how others translated this verse @ (Genesis 2:7) | New International Version Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

• Young's Literal Translation And Jehovah God formeth the man -- dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature.
  • American Standard Version And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • World English Bible Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • NWT And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.

The punishment for disobedience was Death, not an eternal life of punishment. "But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Genesis 2:17)

• "In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”(Genesis 3:19)
  • The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” —Ezekiel 18: 4, 20, King James Version.

“Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.” (Exodus 31:14 KJV)

Note:
Although many Bible translations use the terms “dead body” or “dead person” in some verses, the original Hebrew uses the word neʹphesh, or “soul.”

Many Religions teach that the soul never dies. It that was true, then the Resurrection would be an unnecessary act.
  • Jesus said to her: “Your brother will rise.” Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” (John 11:23-25)
  • The Apostles Paul also stated, "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a Resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15) Is There Hope for the Dead?

Well now you are getting into English translations from two different languages. also the lack of revelation in time from god about the nature of man. Hebrew did not have separate words for body and soul so all are nephesh, even animals. but God made man different from animals we are made in his image (selem) and likeness (demut) animals die and cease to exist, man does not.

That is why after God revealed more to men about the nature of things (also called progressive revelation) , in the NT Paul asked a blessing on mans body (soma) soul( pseuche) and spirit( pneuma).

And despite the JW reinterpretation of the true account, Lazarus and the rich man when they died- did go to Abrahams Bosom (paradise) and the place of torments) their bodies went into the ground and decayed but their immortal souls went to the respective places for OT saved and lost.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well now you are getting into English translations from two different languages. also the lack of revelation in time from god about the nature of man. Hebrew did not have separate words for body and soul so all are nephesh, even animals. but God made man different from animals we are made in his image (selem) and likeness (demut) animals die and cease to exist, man does not.

That is why after God revealed more to men about the nature of things (also called progressive revelation) , in the NT Paul asked a blessing on mans body (soma) soul( pseuche) and spirit( pneuma).

And despite the JW reinterpretation of the true account, Lazarus and the rich man when they died- did go to Abrahams Bosom (paradise) and the place of torments) their bodies went into the ground and decayed but their immortal souls went to the respective places for OT saved and lost.
The Richman and Lazarus is a parable.